• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK, I see. Well although you might not attack the French sooner or later I do think they will attack you, because you are both growing big in Europe and then in time the power struggle between the two of you is going to happen, so you better to prepared. As for the Turks, I guess they will start more wars, and then we you get an opportunity you should certainly take it and fight them back into Asia.
Interesting to see all those small minors still alive, makes the map looks...interesting…

Edit: Post 2300 :D

Indeed. They have a claim on Lorraine so why won't they? The thing is, my badboy is low, quite low, since AFAIK province takings from defensive wars don't give any. Most of my BB, actually, must have come from the diploannexations :p. Update coming on Tuesday at the latest.

1679:
-Are there any new trade centers?- This was a common question of the Emperor, always, but often no positive answer comes. At other times, the trade center is so poor it isn't even worth bothering. But this time, the Head of the Merchant Union replied with something that finally awoke the Emperor:
-Yes, your Majesty. It's in Douala.
-Draw it here... yawn... value?
-Yearly, goods of about 500-600 ducats come into the center.
-Uh, sorry, I didn't catch it- the Emperor replied. But of course, the merchants who so far occupied only Venice and loosely a few nearby ones, started moving into the hot climate. It would be worth it, it's certain.

New COT in Douala. Well, we instantly flooded it and surprisingly, were NOT banned from trade. (I sometimes look at Spain's list of Embargos and last game with Russia, I found so much, I thought he had the random event. But then realised he didn't ban Natives and Pirates as well :p)

1680:

Ah! The rumble of the march the Turkish soldiers were on was horrible. The whole Turkish population was suffering from it, but only the Austrians could suffer more. Since the Turks were heading towards the extended Habsburg empire, with revenge in their faces, their rhythm of march, their brains... and their muskets, of course.

And a war declaration came in. First thought, "What are they thinking?" Second thought, "Oh no!" The Turks have a real nuclear reactor powering them, since they managed to field an army of 100000 and their biggest navy is 110 ships (80 galleys). But let's see.

September 1680-December 1680: We swiftly besieged Macedonia and took it.
January '81-April '81: We went on Thrace but we were stopped by the army. Most of us were slain, and they proceeded to retake Macedonia, beating us again.
May '81: Damn Turks stormed and retook Macedonia. They're now coming and they still have 90000 plus another 10000 army. We commission the recruiting of 26000 infantry in Styria (there's a conscription center there already) and cavalry and cannons in the near border provinces.
June '81-April '82: The Turks, all of the mess, go to Ragusa and storm the big fortress but fail... We go to Macedonia. We beat them in the siege, thanks to luck, and offer a WP. They accept, thinking that we are blessed by God instead of their, um, stupid idol... Those Muslims can't even decide what kind of Muslims they are. ..............But we can't decide what for Christians we are, come to think of it.... :p

1683:

We decided to make a small colonial force to explore unpopulated provinces... but it was redundant. It turned out that the extreme north of America has some very good provinces, with but 500 natives, completely peaceful. Four provinces free! Two of them are coastal, but we can't build in one of them for some reason, so we colonise Chisaibi. Around 1690 it becomes a city. The others are filled with TPs.

1685:

It is indeed a golden age for Austrian military! Two excellent generals, and very good friends, came and offered their services on the New Year. Von Starhemberg was a good fighter, but even better a sieger. Those who knew him, also knew that he demolishes a fortress in no time flat. (4/3/4/3 :eek: ) Prinz Eugen, on the other hand, only learned a little bit extra more of sieges than what everybody learns, but he won field battles easily. (5/5/5/1)

No comment, except these six words.

1688:

A complicated year. The Turks declare war on Persia, we send a letter (really, for the heck of it) to Persia and tell them good-luck for the war. We catch Genova without an alliance and tell them to come with us, they'll not die as long as we don't. Of course, we, *coughconvincedcough* them to be our vassals. (Corsica must have been taken by Spain some time ago...) Later, I realised the opportunity. I swapped Prinz Eugen's army with the army that guarded the Turkish border normally, boosted the number of soldiers with Von Starhemberg and handed in the declaration of war to the Turkish sultan. The war was a cinch BTW, we could have annexed entire Turkey were it not for war exhaustion, my paranoia from it and Turkey being a major.

'88-'90: We crushed every Turk, left barely a few hundred alive (those who retreated) and took Albania, Morea, Hellas, Macedonia, and Thrace (Von Starhemberg took most with a single storming). They refused to give 3 provinces, however.
'91 December: We united (not really, but sent them together) the armies and sent them to Smyrna, hoping that it will change their minds.
'92 March: It didn't. We decided to settle for Albania and Macedonia then... (small mistake, Albania sucks) deciding that we will return. We got Claudius von Mercy sometime in the war, I don't remember when.

1693:

Chisaibi grew into a city by now, so we started colonising the province next to it. It's already level 1 and it has Copper.

Screenshot! Notice the enlarged Austria, the fact that Sweden defeated Denmark again, and maybe a few other stuff...

ScreenSave24.jpg

Well done. Turkey is on the way out of Europe.

Next time you have a big army up againsta suprior enemy, watch the battle and withdraw it before they panick. Like in history, most victims are made when one force panicks.

Nice work, you have crush Turkey now, and you have managed to almost completely remove them from Europe, you have done well it seems. I guess now you might need a new enemy… Poland or France ?;)

Lord E: Well... Poland still has muskets, but 1) they served well against the Turks, and even succeeded in their own way, 2) they may just not have the sprite, I dunno, never watched the Poles that much, 3) too much winter for me. The French, those backstabbing bastards, however, deserve a spanking, I'll ban them from trade when I can get the Genoese trade center.
DoW: But they usually get the free CB of Counterreformed against Prots and Refs too... LOL. But what does this have to do with this series of successes, dilemma of next enemy or whatever, if I may ask?
BTW: I forgot to say, in 1679 a weapons manufactory has been built in Orenburg, now fully operating.

Sorry couldn't get on.

1700:

Genova is annexed. We get most of our trade shifted there, but not the North American colonies.

1703:

-Well, sirs, it's time to drive the Turks away from Greece, perhaps?
-Of course! They declared war upon our allies, they shall suffer the consequences!
-Let's teach them a lesson for the eighth time!
These were the advices in the war room. The new declaration of war against the Polish did have its merits, it seems. And now let's see the timeline:

1703-1705: We basically threw the Turks left-right-left-right. Too simple. We finally demanded Hellas and Morea for peace. What option did they have, with only Sofia NOT being in the Alliance's hands in the European balkans?

Also, good news: Eskimalt grew into a city (why is it called Neuw Antwerpen?) Mialto is growing (Neu Pest it is)
Neutral news: Josef I is the new king, after Leopold I stepped down from his fruitful reign.
Bad news: Von Starhemberg died. The hero of the Turkish wars was buried in the province he conquered and guarded from rebels: Morea.

1706:

The Polish ended the war by getting Bujak, uniting their Balkanian gains with the mainland.

1709-1711:

France was threatening now. He annexed Ireland after a 100+ year interval, and gained from the Dutch a province: Friesen. No wonder the emperor was troubled. In fact, he became stressed. So stressed, it drove him mad, and he was forced to submit the crown to Karl VI, the new king in 1711.
What was not said in the text, was the fact that we got a random Weapons Manufactory in Silesia, the perfect province for the perfect manufactory in '11, and Russia annexed diplomatically Wallachia. Hmm. For a *very* short time, we got a neighbor bonus. Which neighbor is the crazy warmonger, Russia or France? Can't be Turkey, the degraded balkanians who can't invent a bayonet...

ScreenSave27.jpg

The neighbour bonus probably comes from the French I think. Good work against Turkey now you really rule the Balkans, and now it is time to turn west and face the French before they get even large and even more dangerous…

Hey, I just noticed a few things on this 'shot:
-Seems like Ryazan is finally annexed.
-France pizzown3d Helvetia. Must have been in the Franco-Dutch war.
-Sweden AI can now proudly call himself a major, even if he isn't one in game terms.
-He takes this title from the crappy England. (Come on, their only reasonable CoT in America is controlled by, surprise, NATIVES!) Russia is close to sinking into the shade as well, as their recent annexation of Wallachia only recovered them a little bit and now they have to face rebellions.
-Persia suffered more from the Moguls than from the Turks.
-Austria is the best.
As for France: I'll try to do an Embargo on them perhaps? Dunno... they have claims on Lorraine so they should be eager to DoW us. I don't have a clue why they leave us alone, but taking Helvetia and perhaps a few more little stuff would rock.

Should you get into war with Turkey again, claim some of their rich anatolian core provinces instead of poor Sofia.

Probably I'll take Sofia though, to eliminate the viper in our midst. The Turks are enough much of whipping boys to completely crush each time a war comes, no? And Sofia is ready made with a Big lvl4 fort.
Um, which province are you thinking of exactly? Smyrna? Anatolia? Angora? I don't really know them, since I haven't really watched those provinces so far.

Aha! Here's your update. Watch it.
1712:

(The Italics key doesn't work for some reason, so I'll write it all with normal letters.)
Just for the fun of it, we thought that we should offer a 20 D loan to France. And they accepted! If the off-chance of them not paying it back occurs, there is the CB and then we can take out the thorn in Helvetia...

1714:

England DoWs Scots. A massive war might have erupted, but the Scots quickly get a sum of reparations.

1721:

-Aha! They should know better.-This was the only sentence that Karl VI the emperor could say AND the others could hear, because the fact that the Polish allies are once again raped by Turks, or at least tried to be, made the whole court erupt in laughter and a fit of Turkish jokes went on everybody.
After 5 minutes, the emperor could start speaking again.
-Silence! As you may know, our Balkanian domination of Turks is prevented only by the city of Sofia and Constantinople. Should we conquer these, there will be no other problem with them, as long as they keep in peace - which they will never do though. *small laughter in court* Our only target for this war is Sofia. Then we will get Constantinople in the next war. Any objections?
The court was silent in a way that could only mean "None."
-Excellent! Then make preparations for the war. I mean, move soldiers into enemy territory and let 'em butcher.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Well, the war was tough. Let me explain why. Sofia has only food for 10000 soldiers, but that's no problem: base 2% attrition plus 5% from mountains equals a maximum of 7...
1721 May-1722 March: There was no problem with the siege of Sofia so far, with the only exception being the Big fortress. 24000 soldiers, almost all infantry, and 20 cannons are brought from Styria to the front, making a huge force with the Polish allies. Then...
1722 April: ...whoa! Prinz Eugen is shot by a Turkish musket! The Poles take over, despite anything the Austrians could say. Well, well, well.
1722 May-1723 January: Von Traun, a leader who was there in Thuringen, gets 1000 cavalry to ride to the anti-Turk siege force. They of course take over the makeshift Polish siege. Sofia eventually falls.
1723 February-November:
We move on to Thrace but get defeated by an inferior (!) Turkish force without (!) a leader. Only cannons remain. We commission 8000 infantry in Macedonia to make the cannon army anything fighting, and order them to go to Hellas and beat down the Greek rebels. Another army is standing up in Styria. However, Turks storm Bulgaria... but a miracle happens. Turkey offers us Sofia to get us rid of them! Of course we accept! Some Austrians are rumoring that it was the work of a spy who told them that all Turks are annihilated to a man at Sofia...
1724: The Turks pay some gold to the Polish invaders to end the war.
Meanwhile, the Sultan of the Turks saw that their Balkanian provinces are almost nonexistant now, all in the hands of Austrians and occasionally Polish. Because of this, he decided to move back to Smyrna, in order not to endanger the capital too much. Results: New Turkish capital is in Smyrna, edited the savegame myself.

And there you go, screenshot! But the only change I notice here is that Smyrna is the new capital and Austria got the province of Bulgaria... and what you don't know from this 'shot is that Russia (!!!!!) got two provinces from the Moguls (more !!!!!) which are at least next to each other.
ScreenSave29.jpg

The silly French walked into your loan trap, and now you have the possibility that you might get a CB on them so that you can defeat them as well, good work. Also nice to see that the Turks have been defeated and humiliated once again, soon they will have no cities left in Europe :)

Short update today, but it's still a few years... here it is!
1725:

New leader Lobkowitz appeared in the Morean Anti-Dwarf Guard (certain people will get this pun if they pronounce it). Stats: 2/3/2/2. I've got the plan for the next Turkish war: send Von Traun (4/3/4) to siege Smyrna and hold off invaders, while Lobkowitz, the better sieger will get our province. Maybe they'll offer it without even getting Smyrna occupied...

1726:

I'll fill in the blanks with a tech overview: Land 43, Brown Bess Musket (why? We have bayonets!) Naval 30, 24 lbs cannon, Trade 9, Pre-Capitalism, Infrastructure 7, I dunno how they say it in English so I won't try.

1728:

A French cart showed up in the Wiener Royal Palace. It carried some cargo-but what? All we know, it went straight to the emperor. The ambassador, a French one, started talking something that seemed to be German-ish with a strong French accent: "I've brought back loan, thanks for money."
"Well, your kind does seem honorable and trustworthy," Karl VI exclaimed jollily, but when the ambassador turned round and went out, he loudly exclaimed: "**** you Frenchmen!"

Loan repaid. We didn't need it, we have enough, pweez CB! Two more loans are given.

1729:

"DAMN!" This summed up Karl VI's mood and opinion. It turned out that a Bulgarian-Turkish traitor sneaked out of Sofia and went straight to Thrace, with a bayonet rifle, which was followed by him showing the bayonet's creation process to the Sultan. It was light consolation that he didn't show any more of the advanced technology the Austrian war machine researched. Of course, the bastard got a punishment as soon as he was found: he was deported along with the hopefully last wave of colonists to Ungava, containing the fledgling city of Neu Triest, with only a shirt, pants, shoes, and one week of food and drink. The locals started betting on what will kill him: Hunger/Dehydration, wild animals, natives or the cold winter. A smart guy won the whole sum of gold with the bet on "all of them": He froze and got dehydrated in winter, just as a bear ate him, but at the very moment, a native shot the bear, slicing up the Turk at the same time. The lucky winner was so happy, he gave some of the sum to the state.

Several events. The Turks researched Bayonets, hope you liked my story. Ungava's Neu Triest grew into a city, and I got the special event "Present to the State: +400D, great and rich families often contribute to the state to help improve it".

1730:

(I forgot to record the times so I'm gonna spare you the timeline) Everything was ready. Lobkowitz and Von Traun, each having about 25-30000 soldiers, with new recruits from Styria and nearby cities, stood at the walls of Constantinople almost after the declaration of war was handed in. Von Traun also advanced to Smyrna, to beat back the enemy... but the Turk was first. He beat back first Lobkowitz then Von Traun with 60000 soldiers. But suddenly they changed track and went for Polish Lugansk or wherever.
This was a welcome thing. The sieges were restarted, with a Styrian horde coming to replace losses, and Thrace already fell to heavy assault soon.
At this time the Moguls started pestering. They appeared first in Nouakchott (but this is nothing) and then at the N-Am colonies (the audience gasps and faints!!!!!!) and though the colonial guard beat them back for the first, they didn't succeed for the second and we could barely replace the losses. The French loan's repaid. At this moment Karl VI found an entry in the chronicle: "see 1728" (Loan repaid-given again) The emperor's first thought was to dispose of him via a kitchen knife, but then found it so funny, that he just used the blunt end to whack the chronicle a mere 5 times only.
As for the war: Great news arrived at the court as Polish soldiers held, and in the treaty claimed Lugansk. But this also meant the load of Turks would come back... NOT! Only a petty force of 10000 could come to lift the siege of Smyrna, and none returned to tell the tale. With Smyrna and Thrace taken, the Sultan himself came to beg for peace, offering Constantinople in Thrace to the Austrians. The offer was accepted, and the Trade Center was instantly monopolised.

Short update today, but it's still a few years... here it is!
1725:

New leader Lobkowitz appeared in the Morean Anti-Dwarf Guard (certain people will get this pun if they pronounce it). Stats: 2/3/2/2. I've got the plan for the next Turkish war: send Von Traun (4/3/4) to siege Smyrna and hold off invaders, while Lobkowitz, the better sieger will get our province. Maybe they'll offer it without even getting Smyrna occupied...

1726:

I'll fill in the blanks with a tech overview: Land 43, Brown Bess Musket (why? We have bayonets!) Naval 30, 24 lbs cannon, Trade 9, Pre-Capitalism, Infrastructure 7, I dunno how they say it in English so I won't try.

1728:

A French cart showed up in the Wiener Royal Palace. It carried some cargo-but what? All we know, it went straight to the emperor. The ambassador, a French one, started talking something that seemed to be German-ish with a strong French accent: "I've brought back loan, thanks for money."
"Well, your kind does seem honorable and trustworthy," Karl VI exclaimed jollily, but when the ambassador turned round and went out, he loudly exclaimed: "**** you Frenchmen!"

Loan repaid. We didn't need it, we have enough, pweez CB! Two more loans are given.

1729:

"DAMN!" This summed up Karl VI's mood and opinion. It turned out that a Bulgarian-Turkish traitor sneaked out of Sofia and went straight to Thrace, with a bayonet rifle, which was followed by him showing the bayonet's creation process to the Sultan. It was light consolation that he didn't show any more of the advanced technology the Austrian war machine researched. Of course, the bastard got a punishment as soon as he was found: he was deported along with the hopefully last wave of colonists to Ungava, containing the fledgling city of Neu Triest, with only a shirt, pants, shoes, and one week of food and drink. The locals started betting on what will kill him: Hunger/Dehydration, wild animals, natives or the cold winter. A smart guy won the whole sum of gold with the bet on "all of them": He froze and got dehydrated in winter, just as a bear ate him, but at the very moment, a native shot the bear, slicing up the Turk at the same time. The lucky winner was so happy, he gave some of the sum to the state.

And here's the screenie. No Turkey in Balkans completed! Although we didn't get that mission.
ScreenSave31.jpg