• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Battle bunny

General
27 Badges
Sep 12, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Ok, so I've gotten this game not long ago, and just got to these forums. As I see now, only one thread runs real actively, so I decided to make my first EUI AAR. I've already completed a Russian game in normal GC, but to be honest, I leeched Montezuma and the like to the fullest :rofl: so now I am trying it without any help from cheats.
Is anyone interested? I'm a newbie so I may not know things like the pros.

In case yes... I'm playing with the Habsburgs, as you have guessed already. I've downloaded the IGC but nothing else at all. And now the requests, if you want to read this AAR:
1. Please give me advice too while I'm playing, if I do things wrong, missed something, etc.
2. How can I make screenshots? I haven't got screenies for the first years, but I will definitely want to post standings with screenshots. If someone can help, do so please.

First off all welcome to the forums Battle bunny.
Yes, it would be very nice to see a new EUI AAR, as you have already seen most AARs these days are about EUII and presumable next year it will be EUIII that will be the most played and written about. But there are still people reading and playing the older version, so it would be very nice to see a new AAR :)
To make a screenshot you can either use print screen or you can use F11, then the pictures will be located in your main EU folder. When you have the pictures there all you need is a page to upload the picture on. You might use www.imageshack.us then you upload the pictures there, then you take the url and post it here on the forum.
Hope that helped

Thanks for the help! Well, then, I'll entertain some lurkers, and you... enough for me for now.
So I'll explain the stuff, and start.
My goals, in importancy order (somewhat):
-Make the Habsburgs one of the best, if not the best, nations of Europe.
-Make a strong alliance.
-Diploannex whoever else I can. I just do love it. (but I'll diplo obvious ones like Bohemia and Würtemberg at the start)
-If everything else is fine and dandy, I might compete for Holy Roman Emperor. I suppose, newbs don't stand a chance though... is it something about +200 relations to all electors?
-Colonisation is the very last. If I can get my hands on some chinaware, so be it, but I won't break my neck for it.

Self restrictions:
-No winnin-what am I talking? Everything is fair game for me!

Difficulty: Whatever is default.
IGC, no other download.
Text written like this is game info and actual happenings. The speeches, and actings of characters in roleplay mode is plain text.
Well, then I'll suppose I'll start under the rule of Maximilian I. I'll do it by years, trying to go in order.

1492:

-Is it really such a discovery, that we're landlocked and friends with none but the none-too-big country of Bohemia?-Maximilian sounded impatient. He clearly saw the situation Austria is in, and wanted to solve the situation quickly by seeking a strong alliance and perhaps incorporating a few smaller minors into the empire. (anyone explain this? ruler's attributes: "Diplomat, Diplomat, Diplomat&Diplomat") It was none too surprising, the impatience in his tone, after all how many advisors have already came up with such ideas?
-B...but your Majesty...
-Enough! - The emperor(not the holy roman one, just the normal :p) cut his advisor's speech in half. -It's time to act! As it has been said so many times before, we need allies. So send diplomats into Würtemberg and Hungary, and get them to join our alliance, even if at the price of a few smaller favors! And vassalise Bohemia, I plan to annex them in the friendly way... -the emperor seemed a little more relaxed now. But the advisors saw that their time is over for now, and snuck out of the throneroom.
Columbus didn't bring back any wars from America yet. We sent all our merchants to make profit in Venice. Meanwhile, we got Würtemberg and the Hungarians to join our cause but haven't vassalised Bohemia yet - though really beg to be Austrians, no?
The emperor Maximilian was happy this time. Happy because he got what he wanted. Happy also because he had no troubles at the moment. And very happy, as no pesky advisors came to disturb him, only the occasional report and the prompt replies.
Suddenly a thought struck him. He stormed down to the treasure lair, clapped his hands slowly two times and asked the financial advisor: -How's money business?
-Well, we have about 100 ducats, the annual monthly sum is a bit negative, and the yearly income is about 110 ducats. Mostly from Styria, the golden province - the financier spoke quickly, a bit noticeably quickly.
-I have heard about the peasants, weeeelllll, forgetting to pay the taxes, no?
-Well, yes, your Majesty, indeed it could be...
-As long as I'm the emperor, it WILL be better! - grunted Maximilian. He was annoyed, because he had to make a better tax collection system. But that would cause unrest among the peasants... can't they just live peacefully?
We started appointing tax collectors, as much as the money allowed. Styria made the most noticeable change, now I see these guys have a good effect. No revolt risk came above 0% yet. The stability is going from 2 to 3 slowly. No wars in the world yet, except those Mamelukes that are currently being trashed by the stronger side-the Ottomans... I wish the Mamelukes good luck, both of us are unfriendly with the Ottomans at least.

1493:

The court of Bohemia...
-So, our Emperor Maximilian I, offers you a special opportunity. For the small price of vassalage, and a portion of yearly income, Austria will grant every Bohemian safety from enemies, and...-after a short speech, the diplomat ended his letter, offering vassalage to Bohemia, and let the courtmen speak.
A slight mumble arose from the people of Bohemia, then the mumble became low speech, then almost an uproar.
-SILENCE! -At the sound of the Bohemian ruler, the people stopped chattering and awaited their Majesty's response.-While the offer is questionable, I feel that we could trust your emperor. We accept your offer!
This made the emperor Maximilian's day. He was so happy, he even "forgot" to shoo his advisors (who were trying to explain their new warmachine designed for sieges, but all the emperor understood was that it was portable and shot giant things at fortress walls) outta the room while he was looking at his map, or thinking in general. But he didn't lose the concentration, he was indeed concerned about the war between Spain's and the French Kingdom's war, which originally was about Spain's attempt at crushing the little Navarra minor.
Bohemia at last a vassal. A war erupted in West Europe, this war: Bretagne-Navarra-France-Savoy-Papal States vs. Spain-Milan-Persia-Naples. We tried to exchange maps with Spain (they declined, though we get along with them well and they knew only 5 more provinces than how many they didn't know of ours) but England accepted the offer. Royal Marriage with Würtemberg also made. At the hills of Tyrol, some people could witness as the French took Franche Comté from Spain, all that was visible from the war. We sent a letter to Bavaria to soften up the little hard feelings... we shouldn't lose our reputation just yet, the BB wars can wait. More tax collectors are appointed through the lands of Austria.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the forums!

Dipannex Bohemia before it goes Protestant, or you'll have to wait for the Edicts of Tolerance if you want to be Emperor.

Being Emperor is easy for the Habsburgs, as they have a built-in edge. All it needs is good relations with the rest of the the electors and especially with themselves. Unlike with the other electors, they can't buy good relations with themselves. The only way to handle that is by keeping your badboy (BB) rating down, which means not annexing many provinces, so if you want to be Emperor, be content with Bohemia for a while.

-Pat

Uhh, "be content with Bohemia for a while"... only Bohemia? I was planning to diploannex other countries like Hungary as well. Or did I misunderstand you?
Don't worry, I'm already playing the next years :p

What he really means is not start making war with everyone at once, but do it carefully and slowly. Take Bohemia first and then you can do Hungary in some years, that should work out ok. What you shouldn’t do is declare war upon a lot of countries and annex them. Seems like you are doing well.
Keep up the good work :)

Interesting. Do contacts with vassals made during the game always deteriorate? Bohemia is going from +200 to +198...

1494:

At a market in Tyrol...

"Have you heard any interesting news?"
"Oh yeah. The Emperor seems angry now, about the tax collection issues. What's more, Spain refuses to trade maps with us! Better not anger his Majesty in these times."
"Perhaps it's just that they are losing the war and can't be bothered. A little bird told me, France wants the northern Spanish provinces. I don't think they can concentrate on such petty things as exchanging maps."
"I think, a little monetary support would convince them. Spain is the natural friend of the nation..."
France got some territories, very close to the wannabe Dutch nationalism's grounds (Artois and Luxemburg). Oman jumped at his neighbor Aden's throats, but only because of the news in the lower bar. We're slowly filling our provinces with tax collectors, and Venice with merchants.

1495:
This year was rather unevenful, not even worthy of some IC writing. We sent more merchants into Venice and successfully traded our maps with Holstein. Now the map is almost complete at Denmark. No results of any wars yet, except a Turkish-Mameluke war ending in a stunning victory for the Turks. Baad.

1496:

-At last...
Emperor Maximilian was looking at his map. At his side was a cartographer, drawing some provinces in sea and in land, and Spain's colonies in the so-called "New World". He was indeed good-mooded, but it cost him 25 gold to write a letter and slip in a small monetary support. And this for a few map sections?
~Whatever, now we know where Spain is colonising. Indeed a wise choice.~
-Sir, the map is ready!-The old cartographer's voice interrupted his thoughts. He mumbled -Thank you, you may leave now.- And after this, he looked at the map again. He did indeed value how the world was slowly opening... but he didn't know what to do next...
At last, we exchanged maps with Spain! Though they are not well in war business. Navarra is under Spanish occupation but they can't annex, because, count them, THREE spanish provinces are oppressed by Navarra, and a province is controlled by Savoy too. I've also accompanied a pic with the current political map... not much surprises though. Nevermind the Hungarian texts.
ScreenSave0.jpg

Seems like Spain is not doing very well in the war, but at least you managed to get them to show you their world and that is a start. Maybe soon Austrians will be travelling to colonies the new world...

Well, then I'd have to choose carefully, whether to conquer Spanish colonies or make my own in... perhaps North Ammy?
Guys, I'll make the last part today, then go away for 3 days, coming back on Sunday to write more.

1497:
-Brücker, report. What are these wars near the border?
-Your Majesty, it's just the Papal States, trying to besiege Milan.
-What other wars are currently on?
-Well, Naples was fighting alone against three small countries. But Romagna was ceded to Savoy.
-Great, I have to correct the map again. What about the Spanish war?
-The Spanish gave up on the pressure. They demanded a sum of 250 gold for peace.
-What fools are these? Well, just in case, fortify the province of Tyrol. Does it cost 100 gold?
-No, your Majesty, it's 102. You know, the inflation the golden province of Styria causes.
-AAAAAAAARGH! Very well, I order the construction to be started.

Indeed so, Naples gave Romagna, the ex-Papal states province, to Savoy. Déjá vu, they did it in my cheat fun game too. Spain refused to exchange maps again, but it would have been free, so understandable. After 2 letters, though, the Mamelukes were given knowledge of Europe, and in exchange, they showed how Persia and some of Africa looks like. Hm, chinaware rocks... But how to get there? Tyrol now has a Small fort instead of a Minimum fort, and most provinces now have tax collectors. The inflation is gonna be the pain in the 455, if it's 2% right now, what will it be like later, even with the govs......

1498:

This year was so, very so eventless, that literally NOTHING interesting happened. Not a result of an unknown and insignificant war, not a random event, nothing, nix.

1499:

~This map chaos...~
-So what are the changes?
-Your Majesty, a nation called Oman annexed another named Aden.
-Oooh, aren't those the ones Nubia told us? Yeah. Well, I don't think the Empire should bother about such threats. What is the other one?
-A nation called Ireland declared independence from our English friends. They're on the smaller island, the center of resistance being in Dublin and Cork.
-Bad news. Hope they'll get 'em.-The emperor sighed. Well, he actually didn't have a clue about which is Dublin and which is Cork. Certainly two by-way cities.
Nubia shared maps-I did it for fun, got knowledge of some countries. Oman annexed Aden, well, curious. Ireland at last declared independence... they always do it in IGC? We made a fort in Alsace, because I noticed it at last.

It seems like you really know a lot of the world by now since you are able to get all those countries to share maps with you. That is nice work. As for Ireland declaring independence it is not something that always happens, but it might happen if the rebels control the provinces for a certain time they will declare their independence and a new nations. This is actually not just Ireland, but all provinces controlled by rebels might after some time create their own country and declare independence.

Peace? For now. I've stepped into the 16th century, and I have realised the opportunities to get a good port. Ragusa is Hungary's vassal, but would take a long time to get *and* if I wanted to keep it, I'd also have to annex Hungary, which is a long time. So I'm thinking of attacking Venice when their alliance expires. Instantly. I have a CB against them, so the stability loss would be only the religional 1, and I'd only go for a port province, make a quick peace and then perhaps a RM to make a counterattack difficult.
The question is: would attacking Venice and capturing a port (I don't care about whether it's shipyard or just a mere dock. If it be at sea, I be happy! :)) give me too much BB? I don't want deterioration of my contacts, I want them to at least stagnate. Would it give me too much BB to throw my chances away for HRE-ship? I'm looking for expert answers, I don't want to make a BB-war fest outta this one damn game.

Well, if indeed so, then I'll try it. But first I'll see if any more opinions are told too, for safety.
Another thing, if I'm playing the GC with IGC downloaded, it's a bit screwed up: since Tripoli is changed to Korea, Korea is not changed back to Tripoli when using the original, and so Korea is in Africa. Same with Iraq-Uzbegs, Cyrenacia-Ayutthaya, Tunis-Hafsid, Grenada-Serbia... interesting.