• Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

CmdrBugbear

Sergeant
Dec 3, 2018
@JJ - this ammo-only career is nearing the end of the beginning. Haven't commissioned the second or third mech bay. Every mech needs to be something of a multi-purpose build. As attractive as an LRM20 Panther looks for a defend base, sacrificing mobility seems a to be too high a price to pay. Besides, having single-weapon builds in a defend-anything mission loses for you the ability to draw the fire of enemies via the multi-target skill.

And @PrussianHavoc - you have a devious mind. Mech bait indeed.

Now for another interesting decision imposed by circumstances. I salvaged my first Firestarter - planning on loading that baby up to the gills in MGs and JJs.

But having already filled out my first mech bay, I need to decide which of my low-level lights to decommission to storage. It's a choice between a FLE-1S and an LCT-1V.

The Flea is not as quick as the Locust, but has been loaded with MGs. The Locust (which, contradicting my previous protest against single-function mechs) is my recovery mech, loaded with a couple of flamers because I didn't have any other support weapons for it. It's purpose is to reserve down, run in, pick up the asset and get the hell out.

So I've kept the Flea for now. More weapons and the chassis quirk seems worth exploring.

Jolly Joker

Colonel
On Probation
15 Badges
Mar 29, 2012
  • Galactic Assault
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
Under your rules the Panther IS a single weapon mech by default. So if you use it you have ONE missile weapon, period.

Firestarter with ammo weapons only ... that's pretty difficult, imo (but also a lot of fun) - this way or that. :)

CmdrBugbear

Sergeant
Dec 3, 2018
Under your rules the Panther IS a single weapon mech by default. So if you use it you have ONE missile weapon, period.

Firestarter with ammo weapons only ... that's pretty difficult, imo (but also a lot of fun) - this way or that. :)
If you like the idea of a Firestarter with ammo-only weapons then you'll love the first heavy that I was able to salvage:

MG Grasshopper.png

I've been avoiding Attack Convoy missions up until now, but with a combination of an MG Firestarter and an MG Grasshopper, these missions are now viable.

I sent the Firestarter off to chase the fleeing convoy, while the Grasshopper stayed with the OpFor to smack the everloving guts out of them.

As for the excess of heatsinks? That's so I can go up to a friendly opposing Firestarter, ask it to light my cigar, then stomp it into the floor. (Once I get my hands on some melee mods this beast is going to become even more potent).

Last edited:

Jolly Joker

Colonel
On Probation
15 Badges
Mar 29, 2012
  • Galactic Assault
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • Prison Architect
Yup, a good whack from behind supported by six MGs (especially now, with + variants adding to the fun) is pretty nice. Although, putting in 6 Flamers could be quite funny as well. :)

Jolly Joker

Colonel
On Probation
15 Badges
Mar 29, 2012
  • Galactic Assault
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • Prison Architect
By the way, it occurred to me, that you may get a big problem with Attack and Defend type missions which are hairy since you'll have a vanguard lance to beat plus a defender lance, you will have to destroy a couple of buildings and up to 4 defense towers, and when you did that, you'll probably face at least another lance between you and your evac point (which may become 3 lances, if you are too slow).
You'll need a lot of ammunition for this...