• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(87106)

Romanorum Imperator Augustus
3 Badges
Nov 11, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
FIRST POST!
I've been playing HOI2DD for about a year and have been lurking on the forum for a little over the same time. Anyway, after a long break from HOI that included roller coaster tycoon and total war games, I've finally decided to return and play a game without cheating :D (yeah, i was once like that)

Anyway, this aar will be using the byzantine empire mod. My aar style is a history book style and wont include screenshots, but instead will include pictures and maps to increase the textbook feeling. However, there are some changes in the history that is in the mod. While the byz. mod is a great mod, i highly doubt byzantium would have ever recovered after they were sacked in 1204, let alone resurrecting by capturing the sultan. So i have changed the history of Greece and the mod to suit this aar. So keep in mind that there will be loads of alternate history in this AAR. Don't worry if its kind of confusing so far, all of it will be explained in the following introduction. So without further delays and rambling, onto the AAR!

The Greek Empire

435px-Epanastasi.jpg

Index

Prologue: 1918-1936
The Pre-War Era: 1936-1937
The Pre-War Era: 1937-1939
The Great European War: 1939-1940
The Great European War: 1940-1941
The Great European War: 1941-1942
The Great European War: 1942-1943
The Post-War Era: 1943-1945
World War Two: 1945-1949
Epilogue: 1949-1977
Epilogue: 1977-2007

The Greek Empire

Prologue 1919-1936

World War One ended in 1918. Greece had fought hard and for it had gained much. The nation regained much of the Aegean coast. Prime Minister Venizelos attended the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. He secured a piece of Anatolia for Greece. When he returned he was immensely popular. Some people in Greece even wanted him as king. The Megali Idea was coming true at last. But in 1919, that same year, the Turks led by Mustafa Kemal rebelled. So Greece, along with Italy, France, and the United Kingdom fought against Turkey to maintain their shares of Anatolia. Initially Greece made much progress. After a short battle, Greek soldiers marched into Smyrna greeted by massive celebrations.

800px-Izmir15Mayis1919.jpg

Greece made much progress and by the spring of 1920 had captured Ankara. But Italy, France, and Britain were not making any progress. Nearly all of their positions were being eaten up by Turkish troops, and most of Anatolia was already captured by Greece. So the Great Powers saw no reason to continue fighting in Turkey when they were sure to lose it all to Greece or Turkey. They abandoned the idea of carving up the old Ottoman Empire and evacuated their troops. In fact Italy and Britain even handed over the Dodecanese and Cyprus to Greece, mainly because they didn’t want to be shamed if the Turks captured the islands. So Greece was left to fight Turkey alone. The Greek troops were starting to be pushed back and even lost Ankara. And as the war continued into the winter of 1920, Greece had stretched its supply lines to near breaking point. They needed time to extend and improve their supply lines, but the harsh and bloody winter did none of that so far. But on January 1st, 1921, a planned revolt occurred in eastern Turkey. It would become known to the Greeks, as the New Years Miracle. The Armenians and Kurds revolted on schedule at the same time. This gave a massive shock to Kemal and his Turks. With Armenians and Kurds capturing massive areas of territory from the small Turkish garrisons in the East, Kemal had no choice but to send many of his troops to the East and quell the rebellions in his already rebelling nation. Anatolia in 1921 was a deadly mess. The Greeks resurged with great force.

GreekTurkishWar1.jpg

The updated equipment and supply lines that the winter brought gave the Greeks a huge advantage. Eventually Kemal and his Turks did defeat the Armenian and Kurdish rebellion, but it was too late. News of massive ethnic massacres in the East reached Europe and all the countries were outraged. Turkey would get no support now that Greece was conquering it. The toll of the New Years Eastern Rebellion on both the Kurds and Armenians, and the Turks was too large. Without sufficient equipment and manpower Turkey fell to Greece and was annexed in 1922 with no complaints from the Great Powers. After 1922, Greece became known as the “Japan Of The Balkans.” This was due to the similarities that both countries shared. They both rapidly industrialized and became powerful industrial and military states. In 1927, the newly powerful Greece declared war on the Balkan Alliance(Albania, Bulgaria, and Yugoslavia). The war ended months later that same year, with Greece annexing Albania, gaining half of Bulgaria, and Macedonia from Yugoslavia. When the Depression hit in 1929, it seemed as if Greece was hit the least. This gave them much time to catch up to the Western nations. In 1932, the long-standing Prime Minister Venizelos led a popular coup against King Giorgios II and succeeded. He declared himself Emperor Venizelos I and ruled from Constantinople. He was adored by the people and ruled very efficiently and kindly. He was a different type of dictator than Mussolini, Stalin, or later, Hitler. So in 1936, the Greek Empire entered a new age of prosperity not seen by other nations. With a large army, industry, and riches, anything could happen.

venizelos2.jpg

WAR REPORT – Greco-Turkish War Of 1919-1922
Greek Forces – 200,000
Greek Casualties- 50,000
Turkish Forces – 300,000
Turkish Casualties – 125,000
WAR REPORT - The 3rd Balkan War
Greek Forces - 250,000
Greek Casualties - 25,000
Alliance Forces - 400,000
Alliance Casualties - 100,000

Other news from around the world included the capture of Russia by the Soviets, and the Great Chinese War of 1925-1928, in which Chiang Kai-Shek and his army finally united China with the help of their old Western enemies, France and Britain. Casualties exceeded 500,000 on all sides.

WORLD IN 1936

10068946cu0.png

Last edited:
Ole! The Byzantine Empire is resurrected! :cool:
Is Konstantinopolis going to become the capital of the Empire once again.?
Anyway I will be following this. It will be fun to see how the Empire gets through WW II. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine said:
Ole! The Byzantine Empire is resurrected! :cool:
Is Konstantinopolis going to become the capital of the Empire once again.?
Anyway I will be following this. It will be fun to see how the Empire gets through WW II. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Well, the East Roman Empire isn't exactly going to be resurrected
(plot twist? ;) )

BTW, this is based off my wierdest game. I wont spoil it for you, but its not gonna be a "bhutan conquers the world-wierd" but more of a "wow, wasnt expecting that!" wierd.

but thanks for replying anyway!

Unexpected outcomes are always fun (unless you'e dealing with explosive material...) :p

asd21593 said:
BTW, this is based off my wierdest game. I wont spoil it for you, but its not gonna be a "bhutan conquers the world-wierd" but more of a "wow, wasnt expecting that!" wierd.

Those often make the best AARs. A very good setup and an equally good writing style. Certainly an excellent start to your time on these forums. :cool:

Brian Roastbeef said:
"Wow, wasn't expecting that weird," is usually good. Good luck and welcome to the forums. :)
Seconded. I can't wait for the plot twist. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for all the nice comments so far, hope you enjoy this next update.

The Greek Empire

World Events 1936-1937

The year 1936 was an eventful one around the world. Germany sent troops into the Rhineland and Italy annexed Ethiopia. And in Spain, fascist nationalists rebelled causing a civil war that included support from the USSR, Germany, and Italy. Halfway around the world, Japan invaded the young Chinese Republic and made a puppet out of Siam. Supreme President Chiang Kai-Shek did his best to hold back the seasoned Japanese army with his new troops, but by the time winter hit, Japan controlled Manchuria. In the harsh Manchurian winter, the Japanese army sieged Beijing, a major industrial center for China. There was brutal house to house and street fighting. But without the proper equipment and training, by the spring of 1937, Beijing fell to Japan.

Taierzhuang.jpg

Mukden_1931_japan_shenyang.jpg

Battle of Beijing Quick Stats
Forces /// Casualties
Japan- 300,000 /// Japan- 100,000
China- 600,000 /// China- 400,000

Greece: 1936-1937

Greece in 1936 was also eventful. After Germany entered the Rhineland, Emperor Eleftherios Venizelos I commissioned a massive buildup of the armed forces. And when Italy annexed Ethiopia, the Orthodox ally of Greece, relations with Greece sunk to an all time low. After that Venizelos expanded the small air force and navy, while the army was still a priority. However, on March 30th, the old Emperor finally died tragically as his military plans were just underway. So Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas took power while the young heir, Sophocles I, finished schooling at the University Of Constantinople. The year slowly went away after mourning over the great Emperor, the father of the Greek Empire. But tears were swept aside in 1937 when Bulgaria, Romania, and Yugoslavia declared war on Greece. The decisive battle of the war occurred at Nis, a Slavic town near the Yugo-Bulgarian border.

(The following is taken from the diary of Field Marshal Kondylis, the commander of Greek forces at Nis)
The Battle Of Nis June 19-26 1937
We assumed our positions at Nis around 1700 hours on the 18th. This key city is in the center of Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, and Romania. If we were to capture it, we could resume offensives to either of those nations. We were asked not to attack the Alliance positions until we were given word from Field Marshall Papagos in Sofia. At 600 hours, we received a radio message from Papagos himself saying that Sofia had been decimated by cannon fire and we were to now commence the attack on Nis. First, our artillery fired creating panic and smoke as the cavalry took their positions on the Alliance flanks. This artillery barrage continued to fire back and forth until the 24th when we gave word to the infantry in the center to drive a wedge between the Alliance positions. When the infantry completed this after hard fighting, our cavalry, tanks, and motorized troops charged the split-up Alliance armies with great speed. This constant division of Alliance forces continued as their army was split in 2, then 4, and then 8 until they surrendered individually in their little pockets. We captured a great many prisoners and killed thousands. The final Alliance pocket surrendered on the 26th at 1500 hours. It was truly a decisive victory!
Forces /// Casualties
Greek- 75,000 /// Greek- 12,000
Alliance-100,000 /// Alliance- 70,000

1po5nanoj.jpg

Fallschirmjaeger_Kreta_1941.jpg

The battle was indeed a great victory for Greece and practically decided the 4th Balkan War. Greece annexed Bulgaria, gained a border up to the Danube with Romania, and conquered Serbia from Yugoslavia. To ensure Balkan peace, they formed the puppet state in Croatia with the remains of Yugoslavia as a buffer state with Germany. Greece had won a tough war against more numerous foes and became a very respected, and feared, nation in Europe now. So 1937 passed also, with a new arms race forming across Europe as the Depression faded away.

WORLD MAP 1937

61938059jw3.png

Last edited:
hey, the alliance started it (or is that what we want you to think :p )

besides, in the byzantine mod, all those provinces taken away from the "alliance' are cores

EDIT ::: just added a short sentence about the spanish civil war(i forgot before)

Middelkerke said:
Can you add your MP and IC in the next update?

well, the game is now in 1943, and much has changed, but i believe at the time IC was about 120 and manpower(which i edited to better represent the pops.) was around 400

sry, i dont normally save that stuff b/c i try to keep aars very "booky" and less "gamey" :p

Screenies

are we going to see any actual screenshots from the game?

seems like its easy to start an AAR that way, u can just tell a story and make the map yourself. But that does not make it interesting.