• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2364.04.02 - 2364.10.09
2364.04.02 - Serpess
We go back to Zero - a small enemy fleet is making a play to retake Zero One. Fools, they are beaten.

GgDoLx3.jpg

2364.05.03 - Deomia
New from Hhabban - the fools send more ships to a senseless slaughter there.

H8AhDUz.jpg

2364.07.01 - Zero
Their fleet - more of a squadron - is annihilated. A slightly larger force is reputed to have gathered into Sym - but the outcome shall be the same.

onzv5TG.jpg

2364.07.16 - Sym
We have exited jump - their own snare pulling us in to almost point blank range. I can only feel pity for fools. And anger for their directing consciouses.

G8esK0E.jpg

2364.07.30 - Sym
When my time is finally come I believe they know what they will say of me. That I, Loketral, was the creature who became a machine so I could inflict massacres on my foes. We will now invest the planet.

FVDgd8V.jpg

2364.10.09 - Sym
More news from Hhabban. The old Qwe’Pulci homeworld - whose name translates to Celestial Throne - has fallen. Our foes continue to send small squadrons to the slaughter, there as well as here. PDX-1 is getting plenty of command practice, at least, and from reports it is becoming increasingly adept. Oh and that clever Zarg has found a way to make our armour more effective, and now he seeks to improve our ship survivability. Not enough by itself to make a difference against the Cynur … but every little helps on that front.

ZRyZf7U.jpg

Slowly but surely your enemies' strength is being eroded. The fight may be far from over, but you've been able to leverage the advantage of interior lines quite well.
Well not really interior lines. I just happened to have my main fleet operating in the same volume as the Directive capital system (Zero) when the war began. Otherwise their only border with me was Hhabban and a few surrounding systems, but they seemed fixated on Hhabban, probably because it was the fomer Qwe'Pulci capital and myself and the Directive split the two planets in it. It does help that I have Jump Drive but not all of the League did (iirc the Directive did, but I think the Bavi did not, and I cannot remember about the Ix'Idar) which made their co-ordination even more troublesome than it otherwise would have been.

Essentially it was a war with no front line.

Ah, fair point. Glad to get a little more insight into the strategic situation :)
sY1nwkh.jpg

Reposting this (from the first post). It doesn't actually look like it, but the Zero One One Directive actually had settled more worlds and had more population at the time this thing started, but I had inched ahead in tech in the 30 years or so before the war started.

To remember there were two wars going on - the War in Heaven between those of us subject to the Varelviv (the cyan colour) and the Cynur (the dark green). The League of Non-Aligned Worlds (purple) had just lost a war against the Cynur, but the Ix'Idar bore most of the brunt of that (the dark green enclaves in the south-east quadrant). I had previously been allied to both the powers that make up the LNA until the Varelviv attacked me after awakening, so I had still had open borders. Hence my major fleet was already in situ when the League attacked the Varelviv (and therefore me).

Which was a pretty poor decision by the League. I get the feeling that the AI only really considered the Varelviv in their decision to attack, who were very weak following the piecemeal destruction of their fleets in the War in Heaven, totally ignoring my massive fleet in the region of their space.

2364.10.25 - 2365.10.18
2364.10.25 - Sym
The invasion of the planet has begun, and the resistance will not last long. Habitat Klik the Directive call it. They are un-original when it comes to names.

2364.10.27 - Sym
And it is done. I have ordered the fleet to move to one of the distant Cynur enclaves - perhaps we can convince their massive fleet to chase us a time or two again.

TZmPxKI.jpg

2365.02.05 - Nembuss
The Cynur have re-taken M’Ruut in Serpess. I am not surprised. Still we have caused them to waste a year with that whilst we turned the screw on the League. I cannot say I am displeased with the results.

2365.02.27 - Komaggi
We are ready to begin an operation against the Cynur enclave of Manufacturing Node (the Ix’Idar being as inane as the Directive when it comes to names - what is it about a controlling consciousness that makes them so dull)?

LiSjggv.jpg

2365.03.21 - Iswyria
Bombardment of the planet has begun.

2365.06.04 - Iswyria
The planet is ours. Now to evacuate the system before the Cynur turns us into spacedust.

On the technological front our analyses of the wreckage of League ships strewn about have finally yielded a complete schematic for their Kinetic Artillery, not that we shall use it. Meanwhile we have a software update that will increase the firing rate of our Lances and Lasers. Who needs bullets when we shall win our freedom through the energy of light?

VrPDS6I.jpg

2365.07.05 - Iswyria
The Cynur have entered the system. Fortunately our jump-cycle is almost complete. Our target is Romston, a nearby Directive world. We need to exert further pressure to get them out of this war.

87Gmq8w.jpg

2365.10.18 - Romston
The Cynur have retaken Manufacturing Node, as expected. We are bombarding the world of Forward Junction - where the Directive has lost control of a number of its machines which have risen in revolt. We bombard and observe, and will fight whoever is left.

hqhlM1M.jpg

However news has also reached me that in Trappist we have completed building the Science Nexus that has been the focus of so much of our efforts these last ten years and more. I wish I could feel more excited. Apparently the boffins think to encase a star next - which might in the future produce more energy for us to trade for more minerals, but it is ships now we need, and the logistics to support them, not twenty years in the future.

NSf6QOE.jpg

A most dangerous game of cat-and-mouse...
Yes ... let us just say when I was playing this I was always somewhat nervous about these situations.

2365.10.29 - 2366.05.12
2365.10.29 - Romston
A new report from Hhabban - a new Directive squadron has entered the system. PDX-1’s fleet is commencing the attack on Kazoo, so ships will be dispatched piecemeal to bolster the defences of Sky Temple. They should be enough to turn the tide.

rLZKtbN.jpg

chRuINI.jpg

2365.12.27 - Romston
Forces are gathering at Hhabban, the Directive have sent more ships, but so are we. The local commandment informs me they are confident of victory.

uNQny5l.jpg

2366.02.25 - Romston
The planet has fallen. From Hhabban we hear that the various Directive forces are defeated. Meanwhile our overlords continue their offensive on the Bavi border. Their forces are meagre, but at least they are doing something now. If we ever manage overcome the Cynur then there shall be a reckoning. For our part it is time to return to core Directive territory.

KzgOIoB.jpg

WGxpaAV.jpg

2366.03.11 - Oshimir
Kazoo has fallen to the force under PDX-1. It sent me a message asking for advice for its next target, but I replied it was up to it. I may be the Dragonslayer and have more than a century of experience, but it is more than capable.

5OkcCfV.jpg

2366.05.02 - Daranma
Analysis of our recent planetary engagements have allowed us to formulate some more improved tactics. I suppose it is useful enough but it will not win the war.

Ta4gGA3.jpg

2366.05.12 - Daranma
Scouts have shown a hostile fleet nearby … I wonder if we can trap it.

BtNS4bE.jpg

You're doing well though .

You're doing well though .
Oh by this time the war against the League was effectively over - it was more about amassing warscore than worrying about winning. Against the Cynur ... well, things are more particular.

A tempting morsel for a trap... or perhaps bait for a larger trap of the enemy's own devising?
I wish the AI was so clever :)

Actually, I probably don't since I am not that good a player, and if the AI could pull stuff like that off I doubt I would ever win a "fair" fight in a PDS game :D

2366.06.30 - 2367.01.22
2366.06.30 - Daranma
PDX-1s fleet has entered Carovon. The system defences will not prove problematic.

bcRkelw.jpg

2366.07.30 - Rayima
We have begun to chase the Bavi fleet. Meanwhile our overlords have assembled their first sizeable fleet in a long time, and are using it to obliterate small Directive squadrons. The joint League fleet - what is left of it - has begun another pitiful attack on Hhabban. Reinforcements have again been dispatched to Sky Temple.

KfDTqaD.jpg

2366.09.09 - Rayima
The Bavi Fleet has entered Siluj. We are set to jump.

8AG4Ee0.jpg

2366.09.12 - Siluj
We have exited Jump. Dark space is turned into a blinding light. It will be a massacre.

3QE5223.jpg

2366.02.17 - Siluj
It was a massacre.

hvr2xIi.jpg

After this I have ordered the fleet to return to Cynur space. That feels … cleaner.

2366.11.11 - Serpess
Back in orbit above M’Ruut - hoping to reconquer this world again, as there is nothing to Cynur hate more than a world of theirs held by others.

2366.12.06 - Serpess
Carovon has fallen. Well done PDX-1. It has messaged me to say it is going to move towards the Cynur front, the system of Mendoc being an intermediate target.

2367.01.22 - Serpess

Today we take the fight to the Cynur. To weaken them we need to deny them as many resources as possible. We have put together a small squadron and told them to scour Cynur space and to do their worst. It begins in Etrvippe.

DJtvgti.jpg
DJtvgti.jpg

I only hope it works.

Last edited:
The chevauchée is a time-tested strategy, and surely as effective in celestial conflicts as in terrestrial ones.
My thinking at the time was by destroying stations I would cut off all their strategic resources, making them a little easier to deal with at least. I also had this idea that the AI had probably build to the limit of its capability, so by removing those extra resources and the increasing effect of decadance I could force them into an energy and mineral deficit. I think it did, in fact, briefly happen earlier on.

So how good is the Dwarf?
He was pretty darned good. A Curator scientist gets a flat +15% bonus to all research areas, in addition to their level bonus. To give that context, regular scientists give +10% in their own area of expertise + level bonus. So not only "better" than any scientist you will usually have (unless you are fortunate to get someone with a couple of bonuses together), they are also more versatile as you can employ them to great effect regardless of what you research.

All
I have had to edit the final screenshot of the last post as I have realised it had some inaccuracies.

2367.02.15 - 2367.08.11
2367.02.15 - Serpess
M’Ruut has fallen to us once more. PDX-1 reports that his fleet has invested Tuggam in the Mendoc system. Meanwhile a secondary squadron has returned to Directive space to disperse a few Directive vessels that have returned to Sym. And in Etvrippe the Buteqos Stellar Rectrix reports the Cynur fleet has emerged from jump. I hope they succeed in leading them on a merry chase and keep them distracted whilst we go about other business.

dLSsk65.jpg

2367.03.17 - Opriiuq
We have emerged from jump and immediately engaged the station here. It will not last long - and then I have a plan to try once more to attack the Cynur transport fleet. The timing will have to be perfect. And with their defensive station destroyed a raiding fleet can take out the mining stations here.

fIH0r4o.jpg

2367.04.15 - Deomia
We are in position. The Buteqos Rectrix has just exited Etrvippe - the Cynur fleet is in the centre of the system. It will take some time for them give chase, and as hoped their transports are some days behind them. If we can just resolve the timing … and without transports they cannot retake M’Ruut or the other planet we have taken.

MeILDMS.jpg

That will give us time. Then it is back to Directive space, because I have a new target in mind. We need to take further League planets to force their surrender - and in Ibloranda there are two worlds and a squadron of ships. It is the perfect opportunity.

AFgCWCu.jpg

2367.06.17 - Etrvrippe
The trap is executed without a flaw. The last transports die even as I record this. But we shall be patient - if I have everything calculated correctly the Cynur will emerge mostly across the system. The more time we can force them to waste traversing normal space the happier I shall be.

2367.06.26 - Etrvippe
They are here. Time to do with many more ships what the Buteqos did before us.

KDcwRhe.jpg

2367.07.20 - Etrvrippe
Transmission from PDX-1. Tuggam in Mendoc has fallen to us. For our own part it is almost time to vacate this system.

2367.08.11 - Deomia
We jumped out at the perfect moment. Long-range sensors already indicate the Cynur have changed course to try and chase the Buteqos, who are now laying waste to the Ciaciothea system. For us it is onto Ibloranda, and to try and put an end to the League.

The phrase "leading them by the nose" comes to mind here.
Yes. The method I used to "manage" the superior Cynur fleet would not work in the post-Cherryh game as far as I believe, though I have not faced a crisis or AFE in the Cherryh version of the game. But it did very much require a sort of guerilla/distraction tactic - get their attention focused on one group over there so you can do other stuff over here. The whole waiting until the Cynur were in the centre of a system before jumping out was also quite "gamey" - but given the disparity in fleet size I felt quite justified and harmonised it by claiming their admiral had a certain inflexibility of mind borne out of a superiority complex. Which worked for me.

2367.09.01 - 2368.03.27
2367.09.01 - Erasmadon
Change of plan, I ordered the jump to Erasmadon instead. Unlike Ibloranda there is no enemy fleet here, but it is another system where the Directive has settled two worlds. Some query why I have spared their fleet, but my logic is simple: we may need it later. Again their snare has landed up within easy combat range of all targets. This will be easy.

6fIC5b4.jpg

2367.09.18 - Erasmadon
I have split the fleet to invest both planets simultaneously. And from Nunki PDX-1 sends they have begun the bombardment of Riblagga.

2367.10.04 - Erasmadon
The Buteqos Rectrix report the Cynur have arrived in Ciaciothea - they have ceased their raiding activity and are moving to the far side of the system.

ztg5JYh.jpg

2367.10.08 - Erasmadon
From home the 4th Stellar Rectrix - a new fleet formed (though not well led) has had its first significant victory in Simtinasca. I suppose it will help - these were Bavi squadrons I believe.

BELJwme.jpg

2367.12.28 - Erasmadon
The Directive have launched yet more attacks on Hhabban, but they are being intercepted by the 4th Stellar Rectrix.

kLvc8wp.jpg

2368.02.02 - Erasmadon
A triple dose of at least positive news. Firstly the first planet in Erasmadon has fallen to our assault. The troops are now re-embarking, and I imagine the second will fall by the end of the month. The 4th Stellar Rectrix has also defeated the raiders at Hhabban.

AYVX8tl.jpg

Finally the latest work at improving the survivability of our vessels has been completed, and orders are going out to all ships to implement them as soon as is practicable. To stand against the Cynur … we will need this.

28Au4Jh.jpg

2368.02.15 - Erasmadon
The second planet has fallen, and PDX-1 tells me the assault on Riblagga has begun. How much longer before the distraction that is the League is done?

2368.03.03 - Erasmadon
Riblagga has succumbed. My fleets in Erasmadon are merged. Now we wait to see if the League will sue. But whilst we wait I direct the fleet back to Cynur space.

2368.03.27 - Daranma
It is done. The League acknowledges defeat, and the intelligence behind the Directive has abased itself before the Varelviv. In the peace they were forced to cede a single system to us - their exclave within our borders. I suppose we should be thankful we got that much.
They are now our machines-in-arms against the Cynur, our fellow subjects.

WsIvzkf.jpg

zJEqHW8.jpg

NB: The above screenshot was taken immediately after the peace, before I assigned a planet to a Sector to off-set the one I got given in the peace.