The Great Shattering Illusion - What if WW1 Never Happened?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Colwin1

Major
62 Badges
Mar 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Pillars of Eternity
pN6eBoV.jpg

THE GREAT SHATTERING ILLUSION FOR DARKEST HOUR!

So it seemed like a good time to make a proper thread for this mod now that the people who are working on this have a build that we are satisfied with as a jumping off point! It may not seem like much now but we have a lot of plans floating around and we welcome any and all feedback on this guy!

MediaFire link (Version 1.05 of Darkest Hour ONLY!)
MEGA link (also 1.05 only)

I hope you all get some fun from what we have so far! The big place to focus on in this build is France as I hope the picture at the top implied!

.TIMELINE:

1903: Alexander I of Serbia survives his assassination attempt. (PoD)

1908: Elihu Root is elected President of the United States.

1909: Itō Hirobumi, Resident-General of Korea, survives his assassination attempt. The would-be assassin An Jung-geun is shot to death on the spot.

1910: the Empire of Korea becomes a vassal state to Japan. Hirobumi's lobbying and political clout prevents the Japanese from annexing the country outright.

1912: Thomas R. Marshall is elected President of the United States.

1916: Franz Joseph I of Austria-Hungary dies. He is succeeded by Archduke Franz Ferdinand, who takes the regnal name Franz II.

1917: the Austrian Ausgleich negotiations manage to please all parties. The groundwork for the Danubian Federation (Danubisches Föderation) is formed.

1918: the United States of America formally declares war on Mexico after numerous border incidents and raids on U.S. territory.

1920: Itō Hirobumi dies aged 78.

The U.S. subjugation of Mexico is mostly completed.

General Leonard Wood is elected President of the United States, riding on a wave of popular support after his successful leadership in the Mexican War.

1921: Changes in British laws affect Ireland and famine starts spreading in the rural areas. As a reaction, IRA declares Ireland independent. Fighting with British troops starts.

1922: Alexei, the only son of Czar Nicholas II of Russia, dies shortly before his 18th birthday.

The 'Irish Rebellion' is toppled by British forces and a peace treaty is drafted. Ireland becomes a semi-autonomous region known as Irish Free State, IRA starts a civil war

1923: Eamon de Valera and Michael Collins, nationalist leaders, lose to the forces of IFS. Douglas Hyde becomes first President of Irish Free State while William Thomas Cosgrave takes up the position of Prime Minister. The civil war is over.

1924: The 'Irish process' sanctioned by British authorities finds Eamon de Valera, Michael Collins, Patrick Pearse and other nationalist leaders guilty, with most receiving death penalty or long prison terms.

1926: Franz II dies in an automobile accident in the Austrian Alps in February. He is succeeded by Karl I.

Emperor Sunjong of Korea dies. He is succeeded by his half-brother Yeong.

1927: the Ausgleich negotiations formally create the Danubian Federation. A new flag and anthem are adopted.

President Leonard Wood dies after a failed brain surgery. His Vice President Irvine L. Lenroot takes the presidency.

1927: Russia attacks Persia, but British aid turns the tide against the Russians and a peace treaty status quo ante bellum is concluded.

Afghanistan breaks free from British domination, creating a neutral buffer state between the two superpowers.

1928: Zhang Zuolin successfully rebuffs Nationalist attacks into Manchuria, and after heavy fighting makes enough gains to force a settlement. The Qing Empire is reestablished with Pu-Yi as its nominal head. Most realize that the ‘empire’ is merely Zhang’s personal playground.

1928: Irvine L. Lenroot is elected President to a full term, with Senator Wesley L. Jones of Washington as his Vice President.

1929: the Wall Street Stock Market crash. Due to stronger economies around the world the only country significantly affected is the United States.

1932: Irvine L. Lenroot is defeated in the presidential election by Democrat Albert Ritchie.

1935: the Third Balkan War. Greece defeats Bulgaria in the one-on-one war and takes the Bulgarian part of Aegean Sea coastline

47q06w9.jpg

QdzDpyq.jpg

P3p7Bre.jpg

HJSoz47.jpg

3VlEgQ4.jpg

Vu3GOJW.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
(Reserving this in case we need it)

Thank you very much man!

looks great, I will have to test this out.

I have not been able to devote as much time as I have wanted to events. Adding to that I struggle with successfully coding.

But I have about 30 events written down in my notebook and just waiting to be coded.

I'm all for new alt-history mods, but it's hard to imagine a world in which Britain and Germany did not come to blows at some point between 1871 and the present (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-German_naval_arms_race). It seems to me that something would have triggered a WWI-esque conflict at some point, sooner or later.

The original HoI2 version actually had a naval congress settling some naval disagreements between countries as part of the backstory to the mod - let us assume one also occurred in this version ;)

The original HoI2 version actually had a naval congress settling some naval disagreements between countries as part of the backstory to the mod - let us assume one also occurred in this version ;)
The 1922 Washington Naval Treaty is very important for establishing naval parity, Mainly the US and Britain would have naval parity, Japan would be 3/5 of the U.S./U.K.. and Italy/France would be 1/5 of U.S/Britain. so, you have to decide where Germany and Austria go in the mod.

Unofficially the Treaty marked the end of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance as the American Delegates would not agree to the Treaty unless Britain ended its alliance with the Japanese.

Interesting mod, though I'm skeptical about some of the events in here (Elihu Root getting elected when he declined to run in OTL, thee Third Balkan War merely being a fight between Greece and Bulgaria, Ausgleich going off so easily). On the whole though, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this

A lot of it is very rough around the edges and my goal for the next build (which is focusing on Europe and the aftermath of the FCW) is to make sure everything is more coherent as we build it.

as for Elihu Root being elected ask Korstenni. I believe it had something to do with a hateboner for Woodrow Wilson.

A lot of it is very rough around the edges and my goal for the next build (which is focusing on Europe and the aftermath of the FCW) is to make sure everything is more coherent as we build it.

as for Elihu Root being elected ask Korstenni. I believe it had something to do with a hateboner for Woodrow Wilson.
yea, although you could have just had Wilson be a one-termer losing to Charles Evans Hughes (which he almost did, he only had to lose California and he would have lost in 1916 although that was with the Great War going on) or you could just have Wilson remain a University President instead of going into Politics.