• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofman

Safe One
33 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Decided to start a new AAR, and eventually I could decide a country as well. It stood between this Achaean League, Seleucids and Syracuse. I decided to go with Egypt in the end.

Some info:
What: Rome VV 2.2 with my little mod
Rules: Well no cheating, no reloading just because something bad happened.
Goals: Have not set any. But will make some attempts to recreate Alexanders Empire.
Style: Ramblings of the monarch (but not in the humouristic style of a few CK AARs, more the "I am so Great" style)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexander conquered Persia. All the lands to the Indus he conquered. However as he died his Empire fell apart. My father managed to secure his rule in Egypt. Now he is dead as well. Seleucos took Asia, he is now also dead and his son Antiochos rules his lands. Macedonia is ruled by my untrustworthy brother, the one called Keraunos. I am Ptolemy, son of Ptolemy and I rule over Egypt, parts of Syria, Caria and Lycia. Cyprus is mine. In Syria and Asia Minor however I fight with Antiochos, he refuses to acknowledge my right to rule those lands.

r8caqc.jpg

My armies fight as those of Alexander. Sadly I must admit I have only limited access to cavalry, but my phalanxes are strong. My court is loyal as well, and my laws are just.

2igmath.jpg

As I prepare to fight Antiochos I see to matters of state. I make sure everything will be fine while I am in the field, and in my wisdom I order the construction of a Great Lighthouse in Alexandria. I sacrifice to the gods and they give their blessing.

282n76o.jpg

I take personal command of the main army that in Judea. While I would want to lead our navy, when one is king one must not let oneself be ruled by whims, the navy I leave in the hands of my half-brother Magas. He may desire to rule himself, but he is not foolish enough to turn at me at the moment. I have another army, I give command of it to the Egyptian Ankhmachis who is both able and loyal. He is ordered to bring the army as quickly as he can to Judea. With that I march towards Phoenicia. I know in my heart that I will be victorious

2ds0hmf.jpg

After I enter Phoenicia it does not take long until the cities have opened their gates and given me their support. I move towards Damascus where Antiochos is gathering his army, though he lets another take command. I meet the Seleucids in battle. Despite my best efforts and bravery, the battle is lost, but only by a small margin. The Seleucids prove unable to take advantage of their victory and after my army has recovered I face them again and smash their army. The city of Damascus quickly opens it gates.

2l895qt.jpg

While I march towards Palmyra, Ankhmachis meets the Seleucid army in battle outside Tyre. It is a victory, and any victory no matter how small is worth to praise. Ankhmachis pursue the Seleucids and once again defeats their army, this time outside Apamea. The city quickly opens its gates.

25k0sbl.jpg

Antiochos army now avoids battle and whie I march towards Edessa, Ankhmachis besieges Antioch. Both cities humbly opens their gates to my great armies. Ankhmachis then moves across Cilicia and Pamphylia capturing all cities. He frees Lycia and Caria from Seleucid control. All the while I manouver against the army of Antiochos. After I seize Mygdonia, I decide to march against Seleucia. Antiochos use this to quickly march and retake the Syrian cities. I move towards him and I meet him in battle.

iodqvm.jpg

While I bravely lead my men against the vast enemy army, it is not enough for a decisive victory. Antiochos still refuses to consider peace. I meet up with Ankhmachis' army outside Antioch and defeats the Seleucids. By then Antiochos was dead, his son, also named Antiochos, now ruled as king and the young monarch refused to see reason.

63rmkp.jpg

However both sides now has little fight left. While the Seleucids may be in worse situation, I refuse to risk the well-being of my kingdom. Eventually king Antiochos sees reason and signs a peace. Phoenicia is now a part of my great and glorious kingdom.

2eodyja.jpg

As peace returns i gracefully do my best to let my lands recover. Magas is relieved of the duty of commanding my navy, instead I let Aristillus, a loyal man, have that duty. Great news then in the west when the Syracusan tyrant Sosistratos defeats Carthage. Not only are the Carthaginians defeated, they are driven away from Sicily. Sadly the cities in Italy have been less lucky. While Taras called in Pyrrhus of Epirus, the warrior king proved unable to prevent its fall to the Romans. However he did keep control over Rhegion.

20fcffm.jpg

In the following year a group of barbarians decided to cause trouble. However I met them at Ammon and crushed them. I decided then to send men to establish control over the oasis of Augila. I noted that Phila, the nomarch of Cyrenaica was an incompetent, so he was replaced with Callicrates, friend of Sostrates, my Vizier, and an able man.

wsd48.jpg

As the country recovered I took control of the navy and swept the seas from pirates. Command of the Royal Army was in my stead given to Cleonides, one of my loyal seneschals. Eventually I felt that the country had recovered enough to handle another war with the Seleucids. They had recovered somewhat as well but not as much so I began to formulate plans on how to deal with them.

25fkgag.jpg

Looks quite good and interesting. Keep it up!
Btw doesn't your mod weaken Rome a bit too much compared to Carthage and the other 'main states'? There seem to be a lot of minor states in Italia.

Thanks. Hope you will be able to enjoy it.

As for weak Rome. Personally I don't think so. Most of Roman strength is due to that Roma is a very good province, the others are also fairly good so they still have the most manpower of all countries at the start. Also as I moved their iron to Roma, they will always be able to train heavy infantry (and at a lower cost then most others). And of the other majors Seleucids and Carthage have also suffered in a similar way (and for the Seleucids the new country isn't even a tributary, and Carthage no longer starts with any elephants; Rome might not start with any ships, but as they have a core on a wood province they do start with archers and most of the time they do beat up Epirus, often but not this time taking both Greek provinces in southern Italy), Egypt have lost some provinces and Alexandria is Greek so no manpower from there (my manpower at the moment, with some population growth, is at most 62k). And Macedonia while not having been weakened in any way directly, can no longer as easily expand north and get very big that way. And Macedonia, Egypt and Seleucids all start with cores on each others capitals, so if one is weak, the others will try to take advantage.

I took the army to Judea in preparation for the new war, Cleonides took command of the navy. I went to war with Antiochos and met his army near Damascus. After my great victory the city of Damascus was quickly taken. But the Seleucid King did not intend to let me keep the city. A vast Seleucid army marched towards me eager for battle. Ankhmachis arrived with the rest of my army, and in a brilliant battle I smashed the Seleucid Army. I pursued them to Phoenicia, once again they where defeated. But king Antiochos was nothing if not persistent, and after having faced his armies several times, I was forced to face defeat in Phoenicia. Ankhmachis tried to lead the rest of the army but was also unable to prevent the Seleucids from occupying Phoenicia.

sxdpo0.jpg

But soon their armies went to Damascus, and I restored my rule in Phoenicia. For many months our armies manouvered and tried to lure the other to a battle on favourable conditions. But I did not fall to their tricks. Months of war passed with no battles, but then Nicocrates, the traitorous Nomarch of Cyprus and Lycia dared to declare himself an independent king.

iqe7wl.jpg

But his vile machinations was met, a Seleucid army marched into Phoenicia and I met them in battle. They failed to take into account my tactical skill and my bravery. They were quickly crushed and I began an offensive directed at Antioch.

211nlv8.jpg

Apamea was quickly taken, and the men I sent to reclaim Cyprus did their work and Nicocrates was defeated, Cyprus and Lycia restored to my rule. As I entered Antioch a Seleucid army invaded Phoenicia, but loyal Ankhmachis drove them back.

2v1ov42.jpg

The war passed a few more months, but king Antiochos was forced to accept the inevitable. I was victorious, and in peace he agreed to give me Perga and Cilicia. It was clear to everyone that I was truly a great king.

24qjzi1.jpg

Peace returned, and I used the peace to improve fortifications in Phoenicia and Asia Minor. As I surveyed my realm I was pleased by its wealth. My army was strong, my fleet was the strongest in the eastern if not the whole of the mediterranean. It was getting time to deal with Keraunos, a brother he may be, but I am the greater. I more deserve to rule Macedonia then him. But for now peace, a wise king knows when his country needs peace and when it needs war. Now it needs peace.

sx0mlu.jpg

Thanks. Hope you will be able to enjoy it.

As for weak Rome. Personally I don't think so. Most of Roman strength is due to that Roma is a very good province, the others are also fairly good so they still have the most manpower of all countries at the start. Also as I moved their iron to Roma, they will always be able to train heavy infantry (and at a lower cost then most others). And of the other majors Seleucids and Carthage have also suffered in a similar way (and for the Seleucids the new country isn't even a tributary, and Carthage no longer starts with any elephants; Rome might not start with any ships, but as they have a core on a wood province they do start with archers and most of the time they do beat up Epirus, often but not this time taking both Greek provinces in southern Italy), Egypt have lost some provinces and Alexandria is Greek so no manpower from there (my manpower at the moment, with some population growth, is at most 62k). And Macedonia while not having been weakened in any way directly, can no longer as easily expand north and get very big that way. And Macedonia, Egypt and Seleucids all start with cores on each others capitals, so if one is weak, the others will try to take advantage.

Hmmm quite interesting modifications! ^__^

And a good AAR so far!

And a good AAR so far!

Yes Lofman's changes are an excellent addition to the game. They were pointed out some time ago by the guy who made Hellenica mod and are historical. Its hard to gather the data together from primary soruces but Cambridge Ancient History says:
As a result of Pyrrhus' defeat (275 B.C.) the Romans
overran Magna Graecia, and captured the leading Greek city, Tarentum,
in 272. But the arrival of Pyrrhus coincided with a revolt of the Samnites,
Lucanians and Bruttians which lasted for over a decade.
Although our
meagre sources provide very few details about this war, it was evidently a
serious affair, as is proved by the fact that no fewer than ten triumphs
over these peoples (in varying combinations) are listed in the fasti
between 282 and 272 B.C. The final defeat of Samnium and Lucania was
marked by the foundation of colonies at Paestum (273 B.C.), Beneventum
(268) and Aesernia (263). By 264 B.C. the Roman conquest of peninsular
Italy was complete.

Thats 7-16 years after the start of vanilla. Not many Roman wars lasted 3 years let alone that long. Lucania and Bruttium were up in arms again when Hannibal invaded.

BTW: Great AAR and nice to point out that Syracuse defeated Carthage.

EDIT: Also I am uncomfortbale with how the game call the Ptolemies, Ptolemy Ptolemy, it freaks me out.:wacko: Were going to have to change them to the Lagids.

Interesting set-up so far. Subscribed.

Glad you like it.

And a good AAR so far!

Thanks for the support.

Yes Lofman's changes are an excellent addition to the game. They were pointed out some time ago by the guy who made Hellenica mod and are historical. Its hard to gather the data together from primary soruces but Cambridge Ancient History says:

Thats 7-16 years after the start of vanilla. Not many Roman wars lasted 3 years let alone that long. Lucania and Bruttium were up in arms again when Hannibal invaded.

BTW: Great AAR and nice to point out that Syracuse defeated Carthage.

EDIT: Also I am uncomfortbale with how the game call the Ptolemies, Ptolemy Ptolemy, it freaks me out.:wacko: Were going to have to change them to the Lagids.

Thanks. And yes, I agree with the Ptolemy Ptolemy stuff, but I still hope as many kings as possible is named Ptolemy.

I am Ptolemy. I am the third Ptolemy to rule Egypt. After having ruled two decades my father died and I became the new Pharaoh. And of all Lagids I will surely be know as the greatest, even greater then my father and grandfather.

20sydxx.jpg

In my second year of rule, barbarians caused trouble near Ammon, but I ordered chancellor Gauda to deal with it. The barbarians felt the wrath of the Pharaoh.

jpamfo.jpg

I ruled the country in peace for some time, but then trouble in Macedonia made it clear that my uncle Keraunos was not really fit to rule. He was fighting a barbarian alliance, and failed to defeat it, instead paying them a large sum and leaving his allies to fend for themselves. Pyrrhus invaded, and although Rome took this oppurtunity to conquer Croton and Rhegion, thereby putting the entire Italian peninsula under their rule, it did not help Keraunos much.

2zpr539.jpg

I sent Gauda to invade the islands of the Aegean, while Pyrrhus fought in Thessaly. As the war progressed, Ariobarzanes, the King of Pontus felt that he could not fight any more against the barbarian invaders and let them keep Bithynia and Paphlagonia for peace.

2w57d6t.jpg

fmc8i.jpg

As my brave soldiers took Euboa, Gauda marched into mainland Greece, quickly seizing Athens, Corinth and Argos. However by this time Keraunos managed to crush the Epirotes, and his army marched to meet mine. In Boeotia the armies met each other. Sadly the Macedonian army was victorious, and mine had to retreat to Euboea.

6h3x8l.jpg

Gauda was replaced as commander by a loyal courtier named Philo, a man with little interest save battles. My great navy delayed a Macedonian crossing over to Euboea until the army had recovered, and then I ordered them to let the Macedonians cross. Near Chalcis the Macedonian army was crushed. It tried to retreat back but my fleet prevented their attempts, and soon their army was completely crushed.

rs775u.jpg

I felt generous and offered Keraunos peace and all he would do was surrender his Aegean possessions. Even though he lacked an army and had neither the monetary resources nor enough manpower to raise a new one he refused. Philo led the army to the mainland and once again most cities greeted us as liberators. Eventually Keraunos saw the folly of his actions, and rather then risk loosing Thessaly as well he signed peace.

2z9k2sn.jpg

Truth be told, one reason for not trying to take any more lands was that I needed to attend to my court, not all of them agreed that the current heir, my brother Oezalces, was who they preferred. But I easily calmed matters. As nomarch of the new territories I put Aleos the son of Nicocrates. An able servant, loyal and unlikely to attempt to replicate his fathers actions. If he did he would be shown no mercy, and his father would find his current imprisonment end along with his life.

I decide to replace Ankhmachis as the commander of the army in Phoenicia, he deserves rest, especially as he did suffer grievous wounds in the end of the last war with the Seleucids. And I have to admit I need some more military experience, so in case Antiochus cause any trouble, I will be ready. There is a small border dispute, but it does not escalate to a full war, but it is clear to everyone that if it would, then Damascus should rightfully belong to me.

2hquvd3.jpg

While Egypt enjoys peace, I decide to give my brother Oezalces command of the Royal Army, Philo is given the responsibility to defend Cyrenaica from barbarians, they occassionaly raid there but are always stopped. In the west Syracuse suffers a defeat at the hands of Rome, unlike Carthage that have made several futile attempts to defeat the Syracusans, the Romans march into Sicily, defeats the Syracusans, even entering Syracuse. The Syracusans find themselves forced to become a Roman tributary, though they keep all their lands.

A few months later an heir is born by my sister Timo. Ptolemy he is named, and he is truly my son. Queen Cleopatra is slightly upset, but you know, women, they fuss over everything. The court once again shows their disloyalty, as several seem to prefer other heirs, often themselves. But I will certainly be able to resolve matters in a civilized manner.

Peace never last. Sooner or later there is always a new war. But for now peace reigned. Two years after Ptolemys birth, Keraunos died of old age and left his son Lydiadas as king of Macedonia. Two years after that there was war. Antiochos desired to reclaim lost provinces, and so he declared war.

sc6n4o.jpg

Antiochos ordered the main Seleucid army, 40,000, into Cilicia while he let Achaeus Seleucid lead 20,000 men in an invasion of Caria. I marched towards Damascus, while Oezalces and the Royal Army was transported to Lycia. With little effort I took Damascus, as Oezalces met Achaeus army near Halicarnassos. Achaeus was caught by surprise and the battle was a resounding victory.

w1qzo2.jpg

Oezalces pursued the remnants of the Seleucid army and crushed them in Lydia. Quickly Lydia and Coele-Syria fell to my armies. By then a Seleucid army had marched into Phoenicia. I gave the command to Aratos and we marched to meet them. However while we marched we recieved word that a vast Getic horde had occupied Phrygia and was marching into Pisidia. They had entered into war with the Seleucids together with their Nabataean allies as they believed the Seleucids would be too busy with fighting me to really do anything to stop them from looting Seleucid provinces.

2rr08ow.jpg

However Ariobarzanes of Pontus, Lydiadas of Macedonia and the insignificant king of the Bosporans decided to attack the Getae and deal this barbarian a crushing defeat, with hopes to greatly increase the prestige and holdings of all three kings. As it would turn out they had been overly optimistic. But for now I marched to meet the Seleucids in Phoenicia. In battle I fought bravely, but still the mens morale did not hold and we were forced to retreat.

zso1s6.jpg

However king Antiochos soon found himself with more problems as Evagoras, the Satrap of Syria declared himself king of Osroene. The Seleucid king no longer had control of Antioch, and his weakness emboldened the Armenian king to attack him.

311ugc1.jpg

The subsequent defeat of the Seleucid army in the battle of Perga was unlikely to improve his mood, but Oezalces attempts to follow the Seleucids into Cilicia did not work as well as he had hoped, and eventually Perga was besieged by the Seleucid army.

3096b8z.jpg

King Lydiadas was the first to see himself accepting defeat to the Getic barbarians. The province of Paeonia was lost to them. However at this time the last important battle of the war was fought as the Seleucids was defeated in Phoenicia.

9uw1hc.jpg

Soon king Antiochos accepted peace with his enemies, and the Getae took Phrygia. Shortly thereafter he ceded Damascus to me, and while some wars still raged, they all eventually ended with no lands changing hands. Still it was clear that the barbarian Getae had gotten too powerful. Something would have to be done.

11ik60p.jpg

Egyptians doing well. Antiochus is great at losing land. The Getae are too powerful even for Ptolemy Ptolemy III or IV. What is it with the naming schemes?

Is there something wrong with Libya? Something that stops it being civilized? I look forward to seeing it settled and Ptolemaic.

It's good to see an Egyptian AAR.

Hmm interesting.

Egyptians doing well. Antiochus is great at losing land. The Getae are too powerful even for Ptolemy Ptolemy III or IV. What is it with the naming schemes?

Is there something wrong with Libya? Something that stops it being civilized? I look forward to seeing it settled and Ptolemaic.

It's good to see an Egyptian AAR.

Yes the Getae are powerful. I sent a navy to scout in preparation of a possible war, they had not one, not two but three 20 unit armies. And as they manage to have a small manpower surplus, they are unlikely to be as depleted as the Seleucid ones (at start of the war in the next update they had two armies with 20 units in Asia Minor, neither of them was larger then 10k).

With Libya, well at the beginning it was that neither of my neighbouring provinces had enough civilization. But now it is just that I don't feel like marching an army there to rouse up the barbarians just to get an uninteresting province that only produce spices.

Hmm interesting.

I hope it will remain interesting.

But the Getae would have to wait. As my realm recovered, I convinced the new king of Osroene, Pausanias, to pay tribute. Soon an alliance was signed with them. The years passed and I felt it was time to face the Seleucids again. This time the goal would be to liberate Lydia and Coele-Syria. However as the Royal Army arrived in Lycia, civil war erupted in Osroene where one Phidias decided to make an attempt to take the throne. For more then one year that war raged, but Pausanias was eventually the victor.

I sent my armies against the Seleucids. Aratos quickly seized Coele-Syria while the new commander of the Royal Army, Xanthos took Lydia. I had given Xanthos command as I did not trust my brothers ambitions. King Antiochos failed to put up any real resistance, while his armies appeared large, in truth they where in very bad shape and they avoided confrontation. It did not take much effort for my men to take control of Pisidia, but as Antiochos refused peace, I let Aratos invade Mesopotamia. Dura-Europos was quickly taken, and shortly thereafter the only real battle in the war occured when Neominios led the only Seleucid army of noticeable strength into battle.

53vbxw.jpg

They were quickly swept aside and Aratos marched towards Babylon. After the fall of Babylon the city of Seleucia was besieged. As it fell it stood clear I was the victor, but it took some additional fighting before the stubborn Antiochos accepted his defeat. I received what I wanted.

ta5w8h.jpg

As I surveyed my mighty kingdom I saw that it would be worthwhile to strengthen my military presence in Asia Minor. An army was raised and command given to Hyrkanus, one of my many loyal courtiers. From Lydia it would protect the northern parts of my realm. The time to deal with the Getic barbarians came closer and closer. Eventually I heard that the Satrap of Persia rose in revolt against Antiochos and declared himself king. I sent gifts to this king Lycurgus and it stood clear that the Seleucid Kingdom would not be anything to worry about for some time.

23r4aw2.jpg

I have ruled now for nearly three decades. And in this time Egypt has truly become the most powerful kingdom in the world. When I die I trust my son Ptolemy will follow in my footsteps. He is showing promise. I would wish to live longer, but I feel that my life is coming to an end. But I'm probably just overreacting. I will probably end up ruling for another three decades.

9rt3bm.jpg

The world as it was at the time of the death of Ptolemy III
2gy0sio.jpg

Love the look of the map. Please put up such mapoverviews frequently as I'm curious to see the new nations 'evolve' throughout the game.

I think I will have one of those at the end of the reign of every pharaoh for now on. Or do you want them more often :p

I agree.

Some nice large barbarian nations have formed in gaul, iberia and the balkans.

Can be noted that the Lemovices did well some time, but after Rome conquered their easternmost provinces, they did not last very long.

I am Ptolemy, Pharaoh of Egypt and the most powerful king in the world. When my father died I rose to the throne.

2rnahav.jpg

The first matter to attend to is the leadership of the Royal Army. While my father felt it would be wiser to let others command, I took personal command, and it did not take long for me to find a foe that deserved to have war reach them. Previously the Rhodians had attempted to conquer Crete, but it did not go their way. In fact it was Crete that conquered Rhodes. But I saw it as my duty to liberate Rhodes from the greedy Cretans. I landed unopposed on Rhodes and I began a siege. The siege progressed well, but news came and it was clear that Lycurgus attempt to create a powerful kingdom in Persia had failed.

2yvjds5.jpg

Antiochos was appearantly generous enough to let Lycurgus keep his life and some territory. Regardless the siege of Rhodes continued, and after less then a year I had taken control of the entire island. But the Cretans stubbornly refused peace. I saw no other option then to invade Crete. The Cretans fought furiously, in a vain attempt to stop me. But as their army was crushed they came to their senses and accepted to cede Rhodes.

As I already was in Greece, I decided to invade Macedonia and end Lydiadas reign of terror. However he was not without allies. Both the Aetolian and Achaean Leagues decided to aid him, and most disturbingly of all, the barbarian Getae entered the war on the Macedonian side. The initial fighting went well, I defeated the Achaeans near Argos, and Hyrkanus crushed a Getic horde in Phrygia.

2u974wh.jpg

However the Getae forced Pontus to cede Pergamon, and I faced the Macedonian army near Athens. As I failed to secure victory, things did not look to well, but my navy could easily protect my strategic retreat to Euboa, preventing the Macedonians to pursue.

5d076q.jpg

However the Illyrians decided to invade Macedonia, and Hyrkanus won another victory and seized Pergamon, so things were looking better. I order Xanthos to take command of the Syrian army and march to aid Hyrcanus, and when those armies joined up, a great victory was won near Sardes.

a105sy.jpg

As Lydiadas army was occupied in the north, I quickly marched into Achaea, and after a brief siege I took the capital of Patras. The Achaean League agreed to pay tribute and was now out of the war. But the Macedonian army soon returned south, as the Illyrians had been humbled and the province of Taulanti had changed hands.

2u7bs3p.jpg

While I had to once again retreat to Euboa, Hyrkanus won great victories at my behalf against the Getae. Soon many Getic warriors lay dead, and my armies began liberating the cities in the area.

2hhk42a.jpg

As the Macedonian army stood in Argolis, I quickly marched into Thessaly. After a short siege Larissa fell and I marched into Macedonia proper. There I was attacked by a vast Getic horde. The fighting was fierce, but it looked as I could win, the barbarians were being driven back, but then the Macedonian army arrived. It did not take me long to accept that the battle had been lost.

10z075e.jpg

I had my army transported to Pergamon. In Anatolia the Getae had been utterly defeated, and the Syrian Army was sent back to the east. I began an invasion of Thrace. Hyrkanus quickly took the main cities and then proceeded to occupy the cities of the Black Sea coast. I had devised a plan to quickly break the remaining Getae resistance. While Hyrkanus marched along the coast, I would strike directly against the Getae capital.

34i24gp.jpg

The Getae sent an army to meet me. Near Kallatis the armies met. My disciplined Phalanxes met the fierce barbarians who were armed with fearsome weapons. But their ferocity could not break my brave men. The Getae had been defeated, their attempt to stop me had failed.

2hd8dhc.jpg

I quickly occupied their towns, and not long after that they reluctantly agreed to cede Pergamon and Phrygia. While I would have preferred to gain more, they war had dragged on for too long.

2wn5m5h.jpg

But the war with Lydiadas had not ended. However he quickly agreed that a white peace would be for the best. So we had peace. Not the most interesting of times, but it is necessary not to exhaust ones resources, and peace provides a good oppurtunity to rebuild what might have been destroyed. As time passed I kept a watchful eye on the Getae, I would not rest until I have liberated Bithynia and Paphlagonia. Thracia would be mine as well.

As it would not be just to attack so quickly again after we had signed a peace treaty with them, I turned to more peaceful matters. An heir was born, and while Oezalces did not appreciate no longer being the heir, he did not do anything foolish. Sadly he did not live for much longer. But onto other matters, I became a great patron of scientific research as I did my best to make sure Alexandria would be not only the economical but also the intellectual capital of the mediterranean.

I convinced the Galatians to join in an alliance, and as the time to once again fight the Getae came closer, a formal reason do start the war appeared. The Nabateans, allies to the Getae, had been causing trouble, claiming Damascus as their own. It was clear they would have to be shown the errors of their ways.

Another Ptolemy Plotemy who actually likes to fight, even if Hycranus is better. Everyone know good cooking needs spices. Just you wait til 40,000 barbarians come out of Libya baying for Greek/Egyptian blood. I notice the strategically located unsettled province bewteen Carthage and the most powerful kingdom in the world. Someone doubt his own propaganda?

You got to fight the Getics after all. I thought you'd have taken something off the archaic League in land and annexed Aetolia. Nabatea ought to provide some local sport and territory as well as opportunity to pick up the Getic provinces in Asia Minor, using your feet to prevent of Getae getting in on the act. Do you intend to help Galatia before the Getae annex them or will you wait and bring them into Egypt by way of reward?

Last edited: