• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It took the Soviets two years of strategic failures to learn how to conduct a series of successful offensives. Once they got it right, they didn't stop until Prague... Ironic that one of Hitler's first victims was where Nazi Germany made its last stand.

I hope this RKKA will be more successful!

I was inspired to visit my Soviet campaign again - one with the common weapons DLC mod, the other my ICE campaign for which I loaded up from a Sept'39 save and played differently. I'm still waiting for the German assault in the CWDLC, and ICE has seen successes at the border battles. The difference being ready for war makes in comparison with history. I'll see if I can coax a German DoW in the CWDLC, I am short ~ 30 divisions compared to ICE, and haven't built up my industry as much (granted, I still have 304 base IC, about 50% more than Germany). It should be interesting, as I am behind in techs as well, as ICE seems to have given the USSR more leadership.

Talk about squaring a circle - in order to get a successful offensive going against the Germans (where 'successful' is defined as 'permanently removing significant German forces from the rolls'), you first need to reduce the German numbers.

Your strategic situation (having the reserves for one carefully chosen offensive, but nothing more) reminds me of the Germans at Kursk. We know how that ended - hopefully things will go better for you.

Wonderful updates. Very good to see that you now seem to be able to deal with the Axis tanks very well, even without commanding large amounts of armour. What is all the more pleasing is the attack you are planning. Hopefully the reserves will allow for a strong victory over the Axis, even if such a victory is only temporary, causing disarray for the Axis would be a great first step towards eventually defeating them.

Wow the AI is putting up a fight (yea, with your supply-intervention, I know, but still...). My guess would be that if you do spend too much of your soldiers' effort in a counterattack this winter, the AI will encircle Moscow next summer.

It took the Soviets two years of strategic failures to learn how to conduct a series of successful offensives. Once they got it right, they didn't stop until Prague... Ironic that one of Hitler's first victims was where Nazi Germany made its last stand.

I hope this RKKA will be more successful!

I was inspired to visit my Soviet campaign again -

It sort of takes me that long in game to be honest, even in mid-1943 I can't sustain an offensive to the point where my only problem is running out of supplies. And I experiment with all sorts of models till I hit on one that seems to work. In the main its a case not so much of how I attack but not being able to really generate the sort of force ratios that mean I can sustain an attack, protect my flanks and easily absorb any counterblows

Talk about squaring a circle - in order to get a successful offensive going against the Germans (where 'successful' is defined as 'permanently removing significant German forces from the rolls'), you first need to reduce the German numbers.

In effect yes, I got very obsessed, as will become clear with generating and eliminating pockets. My feeling was I had a bit of a one-off period, say up to March to really do some damage.

I say you better free Leningrad soon!
But that might be impossible. :D

Yep to both, but an acceptable alternative is to regain the airbase at Smolensk, then I can at least airdrop some supplies. Its not the out of supply malus that is fatal, its when your org runs down to 0, so some supply sometimes is all it takes to avoid this.

Wonderful updates. Very good to see that you now seem to be able to deal with the Axis tanks very well, even without commanding large amounts of armour. What is all the more pleasing is the attack you are planning. Hopefully the reserves will allow for a strong victory over the Axis, even if such a victory is only temporary, causing disarray for the Axis would be a great first step towards eventually defeating them.

that is indeed the plan ...

I invested a lot of research in driving up my Hard Attack values and built a lot of AT, essentially if I'm to concentrate my armour then the rifle divs do need to be able to fend off German armour, at least when they are in good defensive terrain.

Wow the AI is putting up a fight (yea, with your supply-intervention, I know, but still...). My guess would be that if you do spend too much of your soldiers' effort in a counterattack this winter, the AI will encircle Moscow next summer.

If I'd realised what the problem was earlier I'd have intervened earlier. That'd probably have led to a very realistic 1942 starting with a monumental axis offensive. As it is, things work out quite historically, in that the front ends up by the end of next winter (ie 42-43) more or less where it ends up at the end of the 41-42 winter. Just the dynamics of getting there are a bit reversed.

But yes, this is the first time I've seen the AI not just recover once the pressure is off, but actually recover and strike back ... & it does it more than just the once.

"Deserts - never rebuked her Satin": Central Asia June 1941 - March 1942

By early December, STAVKA had a major crisis on its hands, even as it was planning and preparing for the Winter counterstroke.

When the Germans attacked in June, their allies in China (the warlords occupying Xibei and Guanxi and Japan's new puppet state in Mengkukuo) attacked the Soviet Union's allies in Sinkiang, Mongolia and Tannu Tuva. Due to the near complete barrier of the Southern Gobi desert, they had little choice but to attack into Sinkiang.

(Japanese forces crossing into Sinkiang)

At the time this attracted little attention, the only Soviet reaction was to order the 93rd Rifle Division from Tashkent to provide fraternal support to the Sinkiang army. STAVKA's assumption was this would be a war between two ill-equipped armies and the addition of even a few battle hardened troops (the 93rd had seen action at Kalkhin Gol) would tip the campaign in their favour.

In reality, the USSR was not the only outside army to intervene. Japan opted to commit around 8 divisions (including light armour) wearing Xibei uniforms. Thus by the time the 93rd reached the front at Altun Shan, the Japanese had already occupied E Sinkiang. At first the tempo of combat was slow, but by the time the front had been pushed back to Karik Shan in late September Sinkiang's army was on the verge of collapse.

By the end of December, the 93rd had been pushed back into the Altai region of SW Mongolia

and Japanese forces occupied Di Hua on 2 January, forcing the Sinkiang government to flee to Tashkent.

(street fighting at Di Hua)

Worse was to follow as Japanese forces pushed up to the Soviet border and by late January threatened Almaty. In early January, Soviet forces in this sector amounted to 4 divisions, 1 moving from the Far East, 1 recently raised Militia, the exhausted 93rd Rifle Division and a weak Garrison Division.

(Soviet OOB, Central Asia in early 1942)

To deal with this threat, STAVKA had to improvise. 3 Rifle Divisions (114, 65 and 188) were withdrawn from the Trans-Baikal Front and sent to Mongolia. This potentially undermined the defense of the Far East but it made little sense to hold the Baikal region and to lose the vital industrial and resource centres of the Central Asian republics. Two divisions (1 Rifle and 1 Militia) were withdrawn from the Persian border (a decision that was to have consequences in the near future) and thrown into shore up the line at Almaty.

(Soviet forces in Central Asia had to improvise when organising transport)

Finally, 3 divisions that were originally to reinforce the Murmansk sector had to be allocated to cover the Altai sector and to shore up the Tuvan forces defending their own capital (this included 2 DNO and a fresh cavalry division)

(5 Cavalry in the Altai region)

and more reinforcements had to be diverted from the main front as the fighting in this region escalated.

These forces took time to redeploy and to complete their training. Fortunately the vast distances and the poor communications meant that the bulk of the Japanese force was not in position even by 1 March.

(the mountain barriers of the Tien Shan and Pamirs were aligned east-west, meaning that communications were broken)

(but there were a number of potential invasion routes)

Equally they had probably committed too many formations given the logistical problems in this region. Even so, by the end of winter they firmly held the east end of Lake Issyk-Kul, threatened the capital of Tuva at Kyzyl, had almost reached the Soviet border near Lake Baikal and were pressing into E Mongolia.

By the 1st March, the situation was:

STAVKA's problems in this sector were not just on the battlefield. At the moment it suited both the Japanese and Soviet leadership to overlook the Japanese intervention, neither probably had enough troops in Manchuria. However, it would be easier for the Japanese to build up their forces in Manchuria than the Soviets. In effect, both sides, for the moment, chose to ignore they were at war. This was not a situation that could be guarenteed to last.

Just as things seem to be going well in the European theatre, Japan begins to make a nuisance of herself in the east. I suppose the USSR's greatest defensive asset, its great size, is in this case also a hindrance, as said large size allows for attacks in a number of areas. Hopefully this Japanese incursion, or rather threatened incursion as both sides seem to be watching each other warily at present, will not cause any great trouble. Although your alluding to possible future ramifications in Persia seems to suggest otherwise. It makes for tense and gripping reading nonetheless.

This is nowhere near the magnitude or threat-level that the German invasion has, but at a time that you can barely hold the Hun in place, it is galling to have to scrape a force together to check the Japanese and their allies (and, apparently, get ready for Persia to join the Axis and invade - they're mightily close to Baku...). I hope this secondary theater doesn't draw too much force away to put your counteroffensive on ice.

Interesting assortment of photos: the Japanese seem to deploy naked engineers, and Russian cavalry apparently uses their horses as cover. I wonder if they shoot the horses first, or if the horses are so well-trained that they can remain calm while a cavalrist fires his Shpagin right next to their ears...

Personal pictures of the mountains? Truly from the mountains the claim to represent, or taking somewhere else? :)

Incredible,enemies at every corner but still the bear fights on!
What's ur production que btw?

Lets hope Japan/Xibei forces will have do deal with at least temporary lack of supply, hampering their effectiveness. At least I had some problems like that last time I fought in the area ;) But that was HoI3 1.4.

Distractions, distractions. No wonder you are having problems concentrating forces for decisive blows.

You need some good maskirovka plans to achieve the necessary local superiority. Alas, HoI3 doesn't have deception units.

Intereseting read, as always.

Just wondering why you only now stripped your defenses in Trans Baikal and near the Persian border bare of troops, instead of doing this much earlier and replacing the regular infantriedivisions in those area's with militia. Seems to me you could have put these divisions to good use either in the west holding the line against the German agressor, or in the east preempting a Japanese attack. Now they were sitting there idle for months while the bulk of your army was bleading dry in the defense of the Motherland.

Didn't notice the naked Japanese engineers in the top picture until Stuyvesant mensioned them, but it seems to me the Russian horses are alive. The cavalryman is using his weight to hold the neck of the animal down. Have to agree with Stuyvesant on the amount of training it would have requered to keep these animals down when their handler if firing his rifle over their heads. Unbelievable...!

I always like to hear about subsidiary fronts where small amount of troops have a big impact.

Looking at the map I have to refer again to my standard comment on the USSR/Russia - "It is very easy to conquer a whole lot of nothing".

impressive!
holding that much front-line must be quite hard.
At least the enemy cannot supply nor send much forces against thee.
For now...

The plot thickens ;D

Keep up the good work, the fact that you're even considering how to make a decisive counter attack is testament to the valiant Soviet defence, lets hope those Japanese don't draw away enough troops to postpone your counter-offensive and make you miss the window of opportunity.

Just as things seem to be going well in the European theatre, Japan begins to make a nuisance of herself in the east. I suppose the USSR's greatest defensive asset, its great size, is in this case also a hindrance, as said large size allows for attacks in a number of areas. Hopefully this Japanese incursion, or rather threatened incursion as both sides seem to be watching each other warily at present, will not cause any great trouble. Although your alluding to possible future ramifications in Persia seems to suggest otherwise. It makes for tense and gripping reading nonetheless.
This is nowhere near the magnitude or threat-level that the German invasion has, but at a time that you can barely hold the Hun in place, it is galling to have to scrape a force together to check the Japanese and their allies (and, apparently, get ready for Persia to join the Axis and invade - they're mightily close to Baku...).

Once Xibei & Guanxi hopped into the axis when Nat Chi collapsed I sort of expected some trouble in Central Asia, but my logic was it'd be a war between 2 loads on 1918 inf and militia, so a little low key intervention and sooner or later it'd work out ok.

Once Japan decided on war by proxy ... then the whole of Soviet Central Asia was at risk because if they pushed through the various bottlenecks then even with supply problems they had so many formations that I'd be overwhelmed.

I hope this secondary theater doesn't draw too much force away to put your counteroffensive on ice.
Just wondering why you only now stripped your defenses in Trans Baikal and near the Persian border bare of troops, instead of doing this much earlier and replacing the regular infantriedivisions in those area's with militia. Seems to me you could have put these divisions to good use either in the west holding the line against the German agressor, or in the east preempting a Japanese attack. Now they were sitting there idle for months while the bulk of your army was bleading dry in the defense of the Motherland.
The plot thickens ;D

Keep up the good work, the fact that you're even considering how to make a decisive counter attack is testament to the valiant Soviet defence, lets hope those Japanese don't draw away enough troops to postpone your counter-offensive and make you miss the window of opportunity.

The OOB for 1 March is not the end of my need to build up in the region. It becomes a steady drain of new formations and I also end up needing to shift some more over from the Caucasus. I reckon that indirectly this cost me Archangelsk as the troops that would have shored up that sector all end up in Central Asia.

In part I'm limiting myself a bit for a degree of role-playing. So I don't abandon things that the Soviet regime would have struggled to justify losing without a fight. I did a little bit of reorganising in the Far East, the 3 motorised rifle divs that start there I pulled over to Moscow, I juggled around between the Far East and Central Asia (so some Far East units went to Central Asia and the 2 Mtn Divs that start in Central Asia went to the West - wish I hadn't done that with hindsight) & I do allocate 3 of the Militia divs to the Far East (& later upgraded them to Rifle Divs).

But yes, in a few places (Murmansk is the worst), I made things rather hard for myself by trying to hold onto things I should have abandoned.

Interesting assortment of photos: the Japanese seem to deploy naked engineers, and Russian cavalry apparently uses their horses as cover. I wonder if they shoot the horses first, or if the horses are so well-trained that they can remain calm while a cavalrist fires his Shpagin right next to their ears...
Didn't notice the naked Japanese engineers in the top picture until Stuyvesant mensioned them, but it seems to me the Russian horses are alive. The cavalryman is using his weight to hold the neck of the animal down. Have to agree with Stuyvesant on the amount of training it would have requered to keep these animals down when their handler if firing his rifle over their heads. Unbelievable...!

Agree, they are just exceptionally good cavalry. The Soviets didn't carry on raising fresh cavalry divisions purely out of need. They knew they had a superb resource available & developed an organisational concept (the cav-mech group) that made the best use of them too.

I think the naked engineers may be *ahem* something not to be mentioned on these forums ... in effect the Japanese saw no reason to properly dress local labourers?

Personal pictures of the mountains? Truly from the mountains the claim to represent, or taking somewhere else? :)

Those aren't mine. But I have indeed climbed in the Tien Shan, once in 80s at the end of the Soviet era (they were started to invite members of western mountaineering groups over) and again at the end of the 90s. I'm probably one of the few people who have climbed both Fidel Castro (a very hard 'pass' on the Probeda ridge) and Maxim Gorki (the 'easy' peak next to Khan Tengri). Utterly fascinating place.

The pass is one of the lines through the mountains to Kazakhstan. The mountain picture is the main line of the Central Tien Shan. It really does look like that, a gradation from dusty low (2-3000m) hills, those below the snow line (around 4000m) with the snow caps behind.

Incredible,enemies at every corner but still the bear fights on!
What's ur production que btw?
Man, what a nightmare! You _need_ that peace and quiet in central Asia. Otherwise, no shock troops in nov and dec '41
impressive!
holding that much front-line must be quite hard.
At least the enemy cannot supply nor send much forces against thee.
For now...

Purely as game play this is the best I've had with HOI3, combination of a bit of tweaking, a far better AI, & the hard malus, all seem to have made it a real tussle. It never gets easy (at least not as far as I've played).

Heres the prod queue for 1 Dec:

In effect I'm still trying to balance stuff that I needed yesterday (rifle divs) with stuff that I know I really need as well (more armour/cas). I'd reverted back to the longest training time as the malus for under-trained formations is quite large. I'm also starting to do some upgrades (I ended up doing a lot of this, mostly mil-inf, inf/arm-gds etc).

The radar is a bit of a luxury at this stage, but it really pays off later on, I end up with a decent one at Leningrad and another at Sevastopol and excellent intelligence on movements behind the German lines.

The front line as 1 March was probably the last place where impassable terrain meant I could hold a solid front without too many units. If they get out of that area, then they'll spread all over Siberia and Central Asia.

Lets hope Japan/Xibei forces will have do deal with at least temporary lack of supply, hampering their effectiveness. At least I had some problems like that last time I fought in the area ;) But that was HoI3 1.4.

They had real supply problems. It wasn't till I loaded up as Guanxi to get the info for the post did I realise just how many Japanese troops were in theatre (there's about 12 divs at Di Hua). They have two problems - one is the supply line is poor (lots of 20% infra) and also the Xibei IC physically can't generate enough supplies. I noticed a lot of the AI changing Japanese units to Xibei and back again which I didn't really understand. I now think it was trying to keep them most as 'Japanese' as long as they weren't in combat, so Xibei only had to build supplies for a few.

Distractions, distractions. No wonder you are having problems concentrating forces for decisive blows.

You need some good maskirovka plans to achieve the necessary local superiority. Alas, HoI3 doesn't have deception units.

Much to my pleasure, I do later on pull off a real deception offensive. What looks like no more than just another skirmish over the Dniepr crossings, then once I had the West bank, pulled in two tank armies that had been sitting a couple of provinces back ...;) That yielded a very satisying pocket.

I always like to hear about subsidiary fronts where small amount of troops have a big impact.

Looking at the map I have to refer again to my standard comment on the USSR/Russia - "It is very easy to conquer a whole lot of nothing".

The scale of that map is pretty awesome actually, it really does put the size of the USSR into context. My fear, as above, was if the Japanese/Xibei got out of the relative bottleneck of Sinkiang then they'd cut the Trans-Siberian & grab Central Asia, it'd take me masses of formations just to present some sort of coherent front. On the other hand its a lot of grass, tundra and desert they are planning to invade.

Ha, these Japanese are making a grave error in attacking the Motherland. They will pay the price later I hope.

My relations with the Japanese remain tense, and China keeps on producing new dynamics, but I daren't really go for the Japanese till I have Germany at least out the USSR, then I might risk sending enough to Siberia to allow me to attack Manchuria.