• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
USSR stretched thin? Soviet Russia never runs out of men for the meat grinder! They just toss them at the enemy to achieve victory. :p

And the award of most screwed up nation goes to.....

Well for now I'd say Lithuania, having Poland and Latvia bearing down on it and Germany incoming as well. Though the Balkans is quite the mess too, as it has always been.

USSR stretched thin? Soviet Russia never runs out of men for the meat grinder! They just toss them at the enemy to achieve victory. :p

Well, they have plenty of inexperienced conscripts but these men might not be enough if USSR hopes to make serious progress advancing westwards against her enemies. I don't want to make conscripts too powerful in this AAR.

And the award of most screwed up nation goes to.....

Well for now I'd say Lithuania, having Poland and Latvia bearing down on it and Germany incoming as well. Though the Balkans is quite the mess too, as it has always been.

You have not seen the most screwed up nation yet. Trust me. :) The Balkans is never pretty but, in this case, their map isn't too bad in how the various nations are allied.

Made a number of updates! We have nine more of these small updates left before we start working with some numbers. :D

Well the Allies are screwed if you keep making everyone Axis or Comintern. :p

Andorra is the best Axis member. They will bring glory to the fascist cause. :D

The comintern appears very powerful at the moment, and the Axis are quite the powerhouse too. The Allies will need to find some friends quickly or the British could find themselves stuck on their island with the enemy in control of the continent once again.
9 more small updates? Wow, this war is getting really large, haha.

Well the Allies are screwed if you keep making everyone Axis or Comintern. :p

Andorra is the best Axis member. They will bring glory to the fascist cause. :D

The Allies are in a rather unfavorable situation. Let's see if RNG can make a difference here. For Andorra, she might be the difference maker in the fight with Spain. :p

The comintern appears very powerful at the moment, and the Axis are quite the powerhouse too. The Allies will need to find some friends quickly or the British could find themselves stuck on their island with the enemy in control of the continent once again.
9 more small updates? Wow, this war is getting really large, haha.

Yes, Great Britain doesn't seem so lucky in their alliance web. Maybe they'll halt another invasion of their island again. :p

The war will be fairly large scale but it will require more work from me as well. I might need some help since my knowledge in WW2 is lacking in some areas.

The background is finished! The map of the three factions is also provided. Now that we got the easy part out of the way, it's time for the tougher part. Lots of numbers to go through so bear with me if the updates slow down drastically.

Luxembourg is so screwed. :p

Axis Syria is a bit random. Turkey should take advantage of that and bring back the Ottoman Empire. :D

Axis Syria is a bit random. Turkey should take advantage of that and bring back the Ottoman Empire. :D

Syria was a French colony at the time. Ok a few others were split up, like Egypt, but thats probably why.

The war will be fairly large scale but it will require more work from me as well. I might need some help since my knowledge in WW2 is lacking in some areas.

The background is finished! The map of the three factions is also provided. Now that we got the easy part out of the way, it's time for the tougher part. Lots of numbers to go through so bear with me if the updates slow down drastically.

Lets see if the various alliances can come up with some clever plans to tip the balance.

If I were the Axis I would blitz a few minor countries to clean up borders, then focus on taking down the Soviet Union first. the Alps should allow them to hold Italy off and the same with the Pyrenees and Spain. Killing the Soviet Union would destroy the comintern's staying power.

I think the Allies are in the worst position, as spread out as they are. Maybe take out Greece and Albania and dig in in the southern Balkans would give them breathing space. Then launch a massive assault from the Balkans and the north of Europe and crush everyone in between :p

And as the Comintern? Russian steamroller for the win! When in doubt, throw more men at it.

Reactions:
Syria was a French colony at the time. Ok a few others were split up, like Egypt, but thats probably why.

Ah, right. I forgot about the whole carving up the Middle East thing after WWI.

Well, I did say that there is a nation in a worse situation than Lithuania. :p Not sure how the situation in the carved up Middle East will develop.

Lets see if the various alliances can come up with some clever plans to tip the balance.

If I were the Axis I would blitz a few minor countries to clean up borders, then focus on taking down the Soviet Union first. the Alps should allow them to hold Italy off and the same with the Pyrenees and Spain. Killing the Soviet Union would destroy the comintern's staying power.

I think the Allies are in the worst position, as spread out as they are. Maybe take out Greece and Albania and dig in in the southern Balkans would give them breathing space. Then launch a massive assault from the Balkans and the north of Europe and crush everyone in between :p

And as the Comintern? Russian steamroller for the win! When in doubt, throw more men at it.

The overall plans will be relatively simply but RNG will play a major role in seeing how they are carried out.

The Axis planned to attack Spain and Italy first to free up their forces. Germany would be focused on the Czechs and Hungarians before reinforcing their eastern flanks. There are lots of what-ifs so we won't know if that pans out. Defeating USSR will cripple the Comintern but the Soviets aren't that easy to defeat, especially in a land war.

While the Soviets use a steamrolling tactic, Italy and Spain can cause quite the disruptions in the rear of the Axis.

The Allies aren't in a position to make any huge plays. They could wait it out for their opportunities. Depending on how long the Axis and Germans fight one another, the situation for the Allies could vary greatly.

Like I said, I'm trying to implement a different sort of combat mechanics so it takes me awhile to get it going. After that, I'm sure there would be balance issues regarding them. Hopefully, we'll see a battle fairly soonish.

Mechanics and Ledgers (Part I)

Victory Points:
What will make this different from the first part is the introduction of Victory Points (VP). Each nation will have at least one VP and at most six VP (not including VP in North Africa). Once all the VP in a belligerent is occupied, then that nation is knocked out until liberated. No nation will be annexed but they could be fully occupied providing the occupiers benefits for their conquests. Note that these benefits can only arise if the entire nation was fully occupied. Below is the map of the various VP.

8xzeebl.png

Please note that the VP aren't meant for accuracy. They are picked randomly to cover as large a space as possible of each nation. There is no benefits/penalties for losing VP as long as one VP remains in control of its owner. Until that last VP is captured, the nation won't be surrendering.

Nation Classifications:
For simplicity, the nations will be put into different classes. Each class has a value called Production Points (PP). For greater simplicity, I won't be dealing with resources or manpower which just adds too many numbers. Instead, there will only be PP which determines the production capacity of each nation. For various nations, there could be modifiers that give them a special bonus. For instance, USSR could hire more infantry than the other belligerents of their class.

Major Power (60PP):
Germany
France

USSR
Italy

Great Britain

Regional Power (15PP):
Netherlands
Poland
Romania

Spain
Hungary
Czechoslovakia

Belgium
Turkey
Bulgaria
Sweden
Yugoslavia

Minor Power (5 PP):
Finland
Portugal
Switzerland
Estonia
Latvia
Austria
Andorra

Ireland
Albania
San Marino
Luxembourg
Iceland
Lithuania
Greece

Norway
Danzig
Denmark
Egypt
Aton

To be continued...

Last edited:
It appears the Netherlands has achieved its first victory already with the annexation of Kleves :p The Germans won't be happy about that.
Interesting VP layout, that should force nations to defend certain areas at all cost, which is good.

It appears the Netherlands has achieved its first victory already with the annexation of Kleves :p The Germans won't be happy about that.
Interesting VP layout, that should force nations to defend certain areas at all cost, which is good.

Well, the mod I'm using gave me this map so I'm sticking with it. I did say that I'm not aiming for accuracy. :p Let's just say combat will work a bit differently from what you may imagine.

Mechanics and Ledgers (Part II)

Production Points (PP):

Production points determines how much of something a nation could produce monthly. Higher the PP, the more the nation could produce to replenish those they lost. Because there is no manpower and resources utilized, a nation can produce at their full capacity as long as they aren't fully occupied. However, one must remember that such production only happen monthly and a lot could happen within a month. There will also be special modifiers associated with each nation that will add extra PP to certain nations allowing them to be more dangerous than one might believe at first glance. Do note that the following numbers aren't meant for accuracy and might not be properly balanced. The general formula is seen below:

1 PP = 1 regiment (1000 soldiers)
5 PP = 5 armored platoon (20 tanks)
5 PP = 3 fighter squadrons (36 fighters)
5 PP = 1 bomber squadron (12 bombers)
1 PP = 1 naval fleet (8 ships)

Combat (Simplified Version):
Combat will only be taking place at the VP. Each land VP will have three battles (outer, middle and inner). The outer and middle battles will take place outside the city while the inner battle involves the city with fortifications like city walls. The attacker must win all three battles to take the VP. Otherwise, the attacker must start all over again. A nation could only attack a VP adjacent to its controlled or occupied territory. For example, France cannot attack Toledo until she occupied Barcelona. All coastal VP can be invaded by nations that control a port but these require four battles (outer, middle, landing and inner). Outer and middle battles will take place on the sea outside the city. The landing battle takes place along the beach where there might be bunkers and fortifications. The inner battle is similar to an inner battle for land VP.

Turn Based:
The war will take turns between each nations where they may choose to attack a neighboring nation. If choosing a passive stance, no action is needed so the next nation could get its turn. All possible reinforcements will be present at the time of the battle for both the attackers and defenders. Each turn will represent a month where battles can last much longer. Battles that last longer than a turn will be resumed once the attacking nation gets its next turn. The turns will be as followed:

1. Germany
2. Great Britain
3. Ireland
4. USSR

5. Turkey
6. Norway
7. Sweden

8. Finland
9. Denmark
10. Czechoslovakia
11. Hungary

12. Yugoslavia
13. Portugal
14. Spain
15. Italy

16. Austria
17. Switzerland
18. France

19. Lithuania
20. Poland
21. Latvia

22. San Marino
23. Albania
24. Greece

25. Aton
26. Andorra
27. Netherlands

28. Belgium
29. Luxembourg
30. Bulgaria
31. Romania
32. Danzig
33. Estonia
34. Iceland
35. Egypt

To be continued ...

Last edited:
This almost feels like a combination of a Hearts of Iron game and the Total War series with victory points, production points, and turns.

Mechanics and Ledgers (Part III)

Combat 2 (Simplified Version):

Each nation has a certain number of soldiers, armor/tank, fighters, bombers and ships. RNG will be used to determine how many of each category would be participating in the battle. The more vital the battle (last VP of the nation), the higher the percentage of the total number for the targeted nation would be used. Each of the categories will have a number of stats as shown below:

Infantry: anti-infantry, anti-tank, anti-air
Armor/Tank: anti-infantry, anti-tank, armor, HP
Fighter: anti-air, anti-infantry, armor, HP
Bomber: anti-infantry, anti-tank, anti-air, armor, HP
Ships: anti-ship, anti-air, land support, armor, HP

HP is used for each tank/fighter/bomber/ship. Armor helps reduce the damage taken so HP could last longer. When the HP taken by, for example, a tank platoon is equal to the total HP of one tank, then the platoon loses a single tank. These stats can change as time passes but, at the start, they will be fairly low in certain areas like infantry's anti-tank and anti-air capabilities. Ledgers will be shown later regarding these values for all the nations.

This is accomplished when all the VP of a nation is occupied. All the VP don't have to be occupied by the same faction or nation for the nation to be temporarily eliminated. All nations sharing a border with the occupied nation, either controlled or occupied territory, will get the following bonuses:

Occupied major power: +7 PP per nation
Occupied regional power: +3 PP per nation
Occupied minor power: +1 PP per nation

Upon being occupied, the targeted nation loses everything (soldiers, tanks, planes, ships).

Liberation:
A nation is liberated if one of its VP is freed from occupation. This nation would only get 1/10 of its PP prior to full occupation rounded to the next highest whole number.

To be continued...

This almost feels like a combination of a Hearts of Iron game and the Total War series with victory points, production points, and turns.

Just trying to have some fun. Cannot deny that I have some inspirations from games I'm exposed to. :p

I agree it looks like a turn-based version of HOI, gonna be good I think.
I think you shouldd give HOI a try, really. It can be tough to get into, but it does this stuff so well.