• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OMFG!!! that amount of troops would restart my computer 12 times!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah. It pauses for several seconds every day, as comrade Zhdanov checks to make sure that every Rifle Battalion is getting enough ham and vodka rations.

I would suggest just for starters merging modern day Ethiopia, Somalia and Eritrea into a single state (for simplicity let's just call it Ethiopia). Now that I think of it.... It may be a good idea to give Egypt northern Sudan and pass southern Sudan over to Ethiopia. There's a cultural dividing line there that I don't think a decade or two or Soviet rule would have erased (northern Sudan is very Arabic, while southern Sudan tends to be vastly more African).

Central Africa is gonna be tricky, if you divide it up along colonial lines, you'll get what we got. Constant low level tribal warfare and ethnic bloodbaths. I'm willing to bet that the Soviets frankly haven't had much of an impact in regards to erasing these differences since they would be propping a tiny communist elite over a mass of people at in the 1920s didn't have uniform access to elementary school. Perhaps a loose confederation would be best (that or give every damn group a homeland which would be messy as hell).

Northern Africa is alot easier, Algeria, Libya and Morocco should exist as normal. The biggest problem will be competition between Berber and Arabized peoples, which shouldn't get to violent, they share to many commonalities.

I would vote, since it was Americans who did the alot of the pushing and pulling that our traditional African "friend" of Liberia get expanded, say the Ivory Coast, Serria Leone and Guinea merged under it's government (That reminds me... Liberia was once upon a time an island of English speakers in a French sea, I wonder if a layer of Russian has been added on top due to the occupation?)

Also it may be best to merge Uganda with Kenya but I don't know enough about the cultures there to give a strong opinion. They were both English colonies and haven't had massive violence. In fact in our timeline until recently Kenya was considered an island of calm in Africa.

Hope that helps.

I agree that Sudan should be partitioned and that most colonial constructs shouldn't be recreated.

Greater Liberia may be interesting, especially in light of the second American civil war and the destruction of New Afrika. Perhaps some former New Afrikans would move to Liberia and bolster the numbers of Americo-Liberians? That is the only way that I could see an enlarged Liberia working.

I believe that there is some east African Union puppet that includes Kenya and Uganda, so I'll probably release that.

With regards to North Africa and the middle east: Should I release the Arab Union or the middle east as it exists today? If I do release an Arab Union, should I edit the cores to include all of North Africa? Should I support Zionism?

Frigidmagi has a lot of very good points there.

As well as implementing those ideas, here are a couple more.

Congo: A big, Congolese republic should be created, merging both the former French & Belgian Congo's into one larger state.

South Africa: This one will be very interesting. I would suggest creating a republic of South Africa rather than reviving the old British Dominion. This new republic should not only give the black majority a lot of power, but also ensure the Afrikaner's a large amount of say in how the country is run, to prevent them from feeling left out, something that could result in serious racial tensions.

In terms of territory, I would advocate for South Africa getting Botswana, Namibia, and Zimbabwe/Rhodesia (whatever it would be called at this point in this time line). These area's IIRC should not be heavily populated, so its not like huge numbers of people would be alienated by becoming part of a very strong South Africa.

Actually, here is another Idea for Rhodesia and the area around it. Perhaps you could create something like the RL federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland that existed between 1953-1963. It could be a pretty strong state, especially if you attached Mozambique to it.

Rhodesia & Nyasaland

I guess that's kinda it for now. Some other things you could do is release an independent Nigeria and Angola.

I'll use your suggestion regarding the Congo.

South Africa will be pretty tricky to work out.

Rhodesia and Nyasaland is in the game already, I believe. I'll probably release it.

Thanks for your ideas.

Also, when I release India what should its borders be? I think that Pakistan and Bangladesh will remain in it. What about Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, and Burma?

Disclaimer*** I say some things that may be offensive to y'all. Part of my thought is ignoring game mechanics and coming at this as if we were in the game carving up the map. That means considering things on the ground like religion and ethnic histories. I should note that for example there are wonderfully thoughtful and moderate Islamic schools of thought and I have no real issues with those, however I don't ignore the ever depressing reality of the Wahhabi school either. I also make some snide implications on existing political parties like the BJP of India, who claims that only Hindus can be real Indians. I'm not apologizing for that one.

Should I release the Arab Union or the middle east as it exists today? If I do release an Arab Union, should I edit the cores to include all of North Africa? Should I support Zionism?

Hrm... Perhaps the Peninsula itself should be unified but I think Jordan, Syria, Lebanon (most Lebanese don't see themselves as Arabs) and the Iraq area should remain mostly separate. I would like to see a homeland for the various non-arab christian groups and a Kurdistan. Now some of you will think I'm being a bit old fashioned in the 1st request but frankly, I doubt the Soviet Union would have been able to wipe out the harsher forms of Islam (ironically I'm worried that they would have been more successful on the more moderate and learned forms of Islam, leaving the religion in the control of howling madmen from the deep desert!) and the various christian groups living in the area have survived much worse. Hrm...

Here's my suggestion: Saudi-Arabia+Kuwait+Qatar+Yemen+UAE+Oman= Arab league. Shiite southern Iraq to Iran. The Sunni central area to Syria. North Iraq+ north Syria+SE Turkey= Kurdistan. Jordan as OTL, Lebanon+ Northern Israel for various Christian and other groups. Jerusalem as a international city under US administration until further notice. When I get home I'll try to paint up a AoD map for you to show what I'm thinking. It'll likely look funky.

Also, when I release India what should its borders be? I think that Pakistan and Bangladesh will remain in it. What about Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, and Burma?

Nepal's main claim to separation until recently as been it's royal family, that and the fact that when India was conquered by England... Nepal wasn't. Ditto Bhutan. If the royal families were wiped out, there's really no reason not to fold them into India.

Sri Lanka is a different story. It's a majority Buddhist state (compared to India's Hindu) and is of a two separate groups, of which the Tamils are from the mainland. It should be an independent state.

Burma should also be independent, both for political and cultural reasons. We have to be careful to provide buffers between India, China and regions they'll be competing in (and they will compete, it is the nature of things) SE Asia will be the main zone not their border lands. Their border lands are mostly deserts and huge mountains and as such not realistic for them to be bumping each other. Burma and Vietnam will help diffuse the competition. So to would a larger Thailand (Cambodia and Laos used to be Thai provinces until the French took them away, my question is why not give them back?).

Culturally speaking, the Burmese are a different ethnic group and are again Buddhist.

As for India itself, I vote that while we give it independence we retain puppet control. I'm sure the Soviets have pushed hard on the Caste System and I think we should to. Bluntly, we should ensure that not only is Caste discrimination banned, we should arm and educate the lower Caste members (who are the most likely to fight us in the name of communism if we ignore them, so we must wow them over fast). If you want to keep Pakistan and Bangladesh part of India, you'll have to secure protections for the Muslims as well. Which is why I think we should keep India as a puppet until we're sure that certain groups (stares at BJP) don't turn this into a Hindu theocratic state the minute our back is turned.

Disclaimer*** I say some things that may be offensive to y'all. Part of my thought is ignoring game mechanics and coming at this as if we were in the game carving up the map. That means considering things on the ground like religion and ethnic histories. I should note that for example there are wonderfully thoughtful and moderate Islamic schools of thought and I have no real issues with those, however I don't ignore the ever depressing reality of the Wahhabi school either. I also make some snide implications on existing political parties like the BJP of India, who claims that only Hindus can be real Indians. I'm not apologizing for that one.

No worries here. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I agree about the BJP. I was thinking of having its founder, Syama Prasad Mookerjee, as a Fordist rebel leader in post war India.

Hrm... Perhaps the Peninsula itself should be unified but I think Jordan, Syria, Lebanon (most Lebanese don't see themselves as Arabs) and the Iraq area should remain mostly separate. I would like to see a homeland for the various non-arab christian groups and a Kurdistan. Now some of you will think I'm being a bit old fashioned in the 1st request but frankly, I doubt the Soviet Union would have been able to wipe out the harsher forms of Islam (ironically I'm worried that they would have been more successful on the more moderate and learned forms of Islam, leaving the religion in the control of howling madmen from the deep desert!) and the various christian groups living in the area have survived much worse. Hrm...

Here's my suggestion: Saudi-Arabia+Kuwait+Qatar+Yemen+UAE+Oman= Arab league. Shiite southern Iraq to Iran. The Sunni central area to Syria. North Iraq+ north Syria+SE Turkey= Kurdistan. Jordan as OTL, Lebanon+ Northern Israel for various Christian and other groups. Jerusalem as a international city under US administration until further notice. When I get home I'll try to paint up a AoD map for you to show what I'm thinking. It'll likely look funky.

Sounds good so far. You're probably right about the effects of 20 years of Soviet occupation on the Islamic world.

Nepal's main claim to separation until recently as been it's royal family, that and the fact that when India was conquered by England... Nepal wasn't. Ditto Bhutan. If the royal families were wiped out, there's really no reason not to fold them into India.

I'm in 100% agreement here.

Sri Lanka is a different story. It's a majority Buddhist state (compared to India's Hindu) and is of a two separate groups, of which the Tamils are from the mainland. It should be an independent state.

Should I make a Tamil state in Northern Sri Lanka?

Burma should also be independent, both for political and cultural reasons. We have to be careful to provide buffers between India, China and regions they'll be competing in (and they will compete, it is the nature of things) SE Asia will be the main zone not their border lands. Their border lands are mostly deserts and huge mountains and as such not realistic for them to be bumping each other. Burma and Vietnam will help diffuse the competition. So to would a larger Thailand (Cambodia and Laos used to be Thai provinces until the French took them away, my question is why not give them back?).

Culturally speaking, the Burmese are a different ethnic group and are again Buddhist.

I agree on Burma and Thailand.

As for India itself, I vote that while we give it independence we retain puppet control. I'm sure the Soviets have pushed hard on the Caste System and I think we should to. Bluntly, we should ensure that not only is Caste discrimination banned, we should arm and educate the lower Caste members (who are the most likely to fight us in the name of communism if we ignore them, so we must wow them over fast). If you want to keep Pakistan and Bangladesh part of India, you'll have to secure protections for the Muslims as well. Which is why I think we should keep India as a puppet until we're sure that certain groups (stares at BJP) don't turn this into a Hindu theocratic state the minute our back is turned.

I agree on all this as well.

Thanks a million. I look forward to your map.

I promise funky, funky maps... You get funky maps!

FrigidsChurchillmoment.png

Dark Green is Kurdistan
Gold is Iran
Cream is Egypt
Brown is Ethiopia
Orange is Syria
Purple is Jordan
Red is Lebanon

The map looks funky due to thousands of years of history and cultural shift. I blame the *insert disliked group here*

Just a quick update. I launched an operation to liberate Japan simultaneously with the war in Africa. The Japan operation is named after Admiral Perry, who had opened Japan to American commerce and influence almost a century before.

operationperrypt1.jpg

Perry began with an amphibious invasion of Formosa. Once a beachhead was secured, American forces quickly overran the rest of the island.

admiralperrypt2.jpg

Once Formosa was in American hands, they quickly assaulted the Ryukyu Islands and the Japanese home islands. The whole campaign destroyed around ten soviet divisions and perhaps five Japanese partisan divisions.

operationperrycomplete.jpg

The mainland was liberated by the beginning of march. Plans were put in motion to establish a new government and reinstall the Japanese Emperor, who had managed to escape to the Philippines when the Soviets conquered his country for a second time. The Americans hope to back the new government official by the 31st, which would be the 94th anniversary of the Kanagawa Treaty between Admiral Perry and the Shogunate.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm working on implemented all of your ideas.
I love the map's filename, btw.

I promise funky, funky maps... You get funky maps!

FrigidsChurchillmoment.png

Dark Green is Kurdistan
Gold is Iran
Cream is Egypt
Brown is Ethiopia
Orange is Syria
Purple is Jordan
Red is Lebanon

The map looks funky due to thousands of years of history and cultural shift. I blame the *insert disliked group here*

1st Week of March 1948

freeindia.jpg

India and Ceylon are granted independence. The issue of Indian ties to the United Kingdom will be left to the Indians to decide after the war. A provisional government has been established with participation from all of the major religious and ethnic groups. The General Governor would be the Muslim Maulana Azad, the Hindu Jawaharlal Nehru would be the provisional Prime Minister, the Minister of the Interior went to the untouchable leader Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, and the Sikh leader Master Tara Singh took control of the Foreign Ministry.

attackonkashgar.jpg

Our main goal is the liberation of China in time for the 1948 elections. Our main blow will come further to the east, but Kashgar seemed like easy pickings, so we went for it.

invadebaoshan.jpg

Baoshan also seemed like easy pickings. Giraud himself lead this attack, which was backed up by continuous air support. Strategic bombers would destroy Baoshan's infrastructure while Tactical bombers targeted supply dumps.

liberationofsakhalin.jpg

American armor obliterates a motorized division in Northern Sakhalin. The Marines eventually secure the oil rich north of the island.

Also visible is a rebellion in the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, the "homeland" that Stalin established for Europe's Jews. The Partisans successfully expelled the Soviet garrison from the region, but will Americans be able to rendezvous with these brave freedom fighters before their rebellion is crushed?

firstattackonstanislawow.jpg

The British, Germans, and Brazilians launch an attack on stanislawow. This first offensive across the Cannon line fails to break the fanatical soviet defenders.

invasionofpyongyang.jpg

American marines assault beaches north of Pyongyang. Once they've secured a bridgehead, an immense allied force will be ferried in from Japan.

battleintokyobay.jpg

Antique Soviet subs attempt to prevent American troops from reinforcing the Korean bridgehead.

pyongyangoccupied.jpg

Pyongyang is secured on the eight of March. The Jewish partisans hold out against the Red Army, but for how much longer?​

2nd Week of March 1948

march10Chardzhou.jpg

Allied forces attack Turkmenistan for the second time. Hopefully, we'll be keeping Central Asia this time.

casvisitchardzhou.jpg

The attack on Chardzhou is accompanied by the usual air support.

march11koreanbreakout.jpg

American mechanized divisions advance beyond the Pyongyang beachhead.

march14armenia.jpg

We order an attack on Armenia, but even round the clock air support can't help us break the Red Army units dug in in the Caucasus.

markclarkinbaoshan.jpg

American mountaineers liberate Baoshan, the first mainland Chinese city to fall into American hands. A Soviet counterattack is quickly repulsed.

Kashgarmarch14.jpg

Allied forces are decimating Soviet forces in Kashgar, but the beleaguered garrison hasn't surrendered yet.​

3rd Week of March 1948

attackjinghongmarch15.jpg

With Baoshan under our control, the allies press on into Jinghong.

koreaoverrunmarch15.jpg

Our Mechanized Forces quickly overrun the Korean mainland.

kashgarliberationimminent.jpg

The Liberation of Kashgar is imminent.

chardzhouabouttofall.jpg

Chardzhou also looks like it will fall soon. The State department is already considering the question of whether Chardzhou should be incorporated in Persia after the war.

mainlandkorealiberated.jpg

The Korean mainland is completely under Allied control by the end of the third week of March. Soviet counterattacks are beaten off easily. Unfortunately, we were too slow to save the Chinese partisans who rose up against their soviet oppressors when they heard rumors of our imminent entry into Manchuria. Additionally, the brave Jewish patriots of Birobadzhan have been subjugated under the boot of the Red Army.

The United Nations will never forget the sacrifice of the valiant partisans who fought for freedom. The communist devils will pay for all of their crimes against humanity!​

End of March 1948

failedattackonvlad.jpg

We get a little overconfident and attack Vladivostok with insufficient air or naval support. The Soviets repulse our attack.

macarthursfeintintochina.jpg

While the Soviets are focused on Manchuria, MacArthur lands an army on the Shandong peninsula and quickly strikes out to the West. A soviet counterattack fails to halt MacArthur's advance.

rollingdownthechinesecoast.jpg

Additional forces roll down the coastline with the objective of liberating Shanghai. Upon accomplishing that task, the force will wheel around and drive west, into china's vast interior.

Japanindependence.jpg

Japan's sovereignty is restored in time for the 94th anniversary of the Kanagawa Treaty. Part of the Japanese claimed Kuril islands will remain under US occupation until the conclusion of hostilities.

kashgarliberatedmarch30-1.jpg

Kashgar is occupied by American troops at the end of March, bringing us ever so slightly closer to victory.​

I only hope that the Japanese AI does more than spamming Infantry.

1st Week of April 1948

april1.jpg

The advance into China continues. Marines are preparing to land further down the Chinese coast. Units from Africa are being collected to assist MacArthur's army.

chardzhouapril2.jpg

French, Mexican, and Argentinian troops continue their offensive into Turkmenistan. Hopefully the Soviet forces there will crack soon.

Jinghong.jpg

Chilean forces liberate Jinghong but are immediately counterattacked by a superior Soviet force. We launch offensives at the Soviet flanks in hopes of saving the Chilean army.

april7.jpg

American forces take Xiaguan, a major hub in the so-called "Chen Duxiu highway," a road and rail network started during the great industrialization drive of the 1930s. This has taken some pressure off the Chileans, but they aren't in the clear just yet.​

2nd Week of April 1948

april8kunming.jpg

American mountaineers assault Kunming and the Soviets break off their attack on the beleaguered Chileans.

wenshan.jpg

The attack on Wenshan was only supposed to buy time for the Chileans, but the allies press on once they discover that the enemy's forces are mostly lightly armed garrison divisions.

volkhovapril13.jpg

The French launch an attack in the North, but it doesn't look like they will have much success.

frunzeapril14.jpg

Allied forces launch an assault on Frunze, home of the Soviet Union's premier military academy. Most of the defenders had only barely managed to escape from kashgar and are of dubious value.​

I only hope that the Japanese AI does more than spamming Infantry.

Its a shame you can't influence your allies' production. It'd be really great if I could ask them to build, say, a lot of TACs and CVNs.

On a somewhat related note... loyal readers may remember that Canada built a Carrier, but did I ever mention that Brazil built one as well? I was quite surprised by that. Unfortunately, there isn't much for them to do anymore, so they are just leading uneventful patrols of the Indian ocean.

I must say, impressive stuff. Global warfare indeed!

I'm glad you like it. Did you read the section of the AAR from my HOI2 game? Its quite an epic tale all in all.

3rd Week of April 1948

Beijing.jpg

American troops attack Beijing. Mao Zedong, the head of the Chinese Communist Party, was able to flee before the city fell.

britishinvadetibetapril16.jpg

British troops attack Tibet from Northern India. This looks risky, but we hope that allied air power will win the day for us.

april17vladivostok.jpg

Allied forces attack Vladivostok. The naval base will be in our hands by the end of the week. The remaining Soviet Naval bases are limited to Okhotsk, Batum, Arkhangelsk, Sevastopol, and a few isolated pacific islands.

liberateashgabatapril18.jpg

Allied Forces seize Ashgabat on the 18th of April, bringing all of Turkmenistan under the control of the United Nations.

hodgeismountaineer.jpg

General Hodge is now a mountaineer. We haven't cracked the defenders of Frunze yet, but it's only a matter of time.

chinaapril21.jpg

Wenshan is liberated by British forces while American forces continue their drive into China. It shouldn't take too much longer for these fronts to link up.​

Last edited:
End of April 1948

africaapril1948.jpg

Africa is mostly moped up now. Most of the units there will be transported to China in the near future.

bakuapril24.jpg

The United Nations opens another assault on Baku.

khabarovskapril24.jpg

The Soviet City of Khabarovsk will soon fall to American armor. Meanwhile, operations in China continue. We expect to link the Chinese and Indochinese theaters sometime in early May.

hotanapril25.jpg

Frunze falls. The Peruvians follow up with an attack on Hotan.

samarkandapril26.jpg

Allied forces advance into Uzbekistan. French forces are expected to make short work of the Soviet defenders.

clarkinkangding.jpg

Clark launches an offensive into Kangding. During this assault he earns the encircler and Mountaineer traits.

batumapril28.jpg

Allied forces launch an assault on Batum, the capital of the Abkhazia Autonomous Oblast.​

The Soviets seem to have a lot of un-upgraded troops. And garrison divisions.

Yeah. I dunno why the AI built so many garrisons. They have something like 1900 infantry divisions, but at least a few hundred of those are garrisons.

The upgrades issue has two causes. First off, I was running tech sabotage espionage missions for awhile, which delayed the 1947 infantry tech. Secondly, they have over 2000 divisions and only around 2000 ic, so it'll take awhile for them to upgrade everything.

Whats more disappointing is that they have around 100 armored divisions and the oil to support them, but they aren't being put to good use. This game is using version 1.2, so those tanks would be quite awesome if they were used responsibly.

May 1948

chinamidmay1948.jpg

Our drive into China continues. We've taken the manpower rich provinces of the Chinese interior. Soon the Soviets will have major manpower problems.

encircledmay16.jpg

Alas! We were overconfident and some units were briefly cut off from supply. Allied forces link back up up with them in a week's time.

yaanmay22.jpg

Clark attacks Ya'an. Once he seizes it we'll have encircled between 10 and 20 Soviet divisions.

siberiamay24.jpg

The offensive continues into Siberia. Okhotsk falls in late may and the prisoner colony at Magadan is liberated shortly thereafter.

europeattacksmay.jpg

A few attacks are launched in the European theater, but seem doomed to failure.

frontlinesendofmay.jpg

These are the front lines at the end of May. The attacks in the Caucasus had to be suspended earlier in the month. My units are reorganizing and we may make another go at them soon.​