• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Christensen

Major
8 Badges
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
banner_placeholder.png

To learn more about the GIP mod and find download links please visit the GIP blog at: http://giphoi.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Christensen said:
What have been made:
First version of the German leader pictures pack (Christensen) - to be improved later

However, it's not available for download. I think you forgot to put it up.

[criticmode]
The portraits are mostly very good, although the icons are very poor compared to Scytth's. In particular, the omnidirectional light, CGI/plastic-looking figures, uninteresting backgrounds and too-large model identifiers look strange. Thoughts:
  • Cav-5 (Armored Cavalry) has a picture of a Sd.Kfz.250/3. That vehicle was designed in 1940 and produced 1941-1944; it's very odd to see it used for Cav '45. A Sd.Kfz.234/2 'Puma' or other later armored car would be better; I found an excellent picture of the externally similar 234/1 (copyright status unknown, it's recently taken!) on this page, on the left. It scales quite well, though the cannon becomes hard to distinguish against the background houses.
  • The Motorized Infantry pictures are in a very strange order. Mec-1 and Mec-2 are Sd.Kfz.251 vehicles, common throughout the war, but Mec-3 is a Sd.Kfz.10, which began production well before the war and was not often used for carrying troops after 1940 (after France, it was usually used to tow artillery, AT guns, etc). It would fit in sequence if Mec-3 was moved to Mec-1 and the current Mec-1 & -2 were moved up a model.
  • There is a portrait for the AC-3 brigade; however, that model does not exist in vanilla, where armored car brigades are only available in Basic and Improved. Am I missing something, such as it being in a mod?
  • No picture for HArm-1. While the VK.3001(H) was only a prototype and there are no pictures of one with a turret, it's very similar to the Tiger I:
    vk3601_6.jpg

Because of that, and the small size of brigade portraits, a picture of a Tiger would do. There are a few differences to the shape of the engine deck, but it wouldn't show.
  • No picture for Esc F-2. The Me 210 and Me 410 were externally almost identical, so you could use the bottom picture on this page (copyright status unknown) to represent it, or perhaps to represent Esc F-3, with the snowy picture you already have used to represent Esc F-2 in Russia.
  • No picture for Int F-8. That's the Ta 183 'Huckebein', and there's a decent fake picture here (apparently copyrighted, there are alternatives here and here).
  • The picture of Ftr-5 (Improved Turbojet Fighter) is of the propellor version. Might want to remove those in Photoshop! :)
[/criticmode]

I'd be interested to know how you plan to get color photos for the majority of models which won't have them. Do you have anyone good at colorizing B&W photos?

Last edited:
Permanganate said:
However, it's not available for download. I think you forgot to put it up.

[criticmode]
The portraits are mostly very good, although the icons are very poor compared to Scytth's. In particular, the omnidirectional light, CGI/plastic-looking figures, uninteresting backgrounds and too-large model identifiers look strange. Thoughts:
  • Cav-5 (Armored Cavalry) has a picture of a Sd.Kfz.250/3. That vehicle was designed in 1940 and produced 1941-1944; it's very odd to see it used for Cav '45. A Sd.Kfz.234/2 'Puma' or other later armored car would be better; I found an excellent picture of the externally similar 234/1 (copyright status unknown, it's recently taken!) on this page, on the left. It scales quite well, though the cannon becomes hard to distinguish against the background houses.
  • The Motorized Infantry pictures are in a very strange order. Mec-1 and Mec-2 are Sd.Kfz.251 vehicles, common throughout the war, but Mec-3 is a Sd.Kfz.10, which began production well before the war and was not often used for carrying troops after 1940 (after France, it was usually used to tow artillery, AT guns, etc). It would fit in sequence if Mec-3 was moved to Mec-1 and the current Mec-1 & -2 were moved up a model.
  • There is a portrait for the AC-3 brigade; however, that model does not exist in vanilla, where armored car brigades are only available in Basic and Improved. Am I missing something, such as it being in a mod?
  • No picture for HArm-1. While the VK.3001(H) was only a prototype and there are no pictures of one with a turret, it's very similar to the Tiger I:
    vk3601_6.jpg

Because of that, and the small size of brigade portraits, a picture of a Tiger would do. There are a few differences to the shape of the engine deck, but it wouldn't show.
  • No picture for Esc F-2. The Me 210 and Me 410 were externally almost identical, so you could use the bottom picture on this page (copyright status unknown) to represent it, or perhaps to represent Esc F-3, with the snowy picture you already have used to represent Esc F-2 in Russia.
  • No picture for Int F-8. That's the Ta 183 'Huckebein', and there's a decent fake picture here (apparently copyrighted, there are alternatives here and here).
  • The picture of Ftr-5 (Improved Turbojet Fighter) is of the propellor version. Might want to remove those in Photoshop! :)
[/criticmode]

I'd be interested to know how you plan to get color photos for the majority of models which won't have them. Do you have anyone good at colorizing B&W photos?

Thank you for posting this information, I will change all the icons in the future as this first version was made in a hury (a day or so)... Further more, it is my intention, that GIP will offer more than one set of icons for each country, as to give the player more choices (also to reflect that people like different kinds of icons).

edit: btw... the leader pics will soon be up, the zip file was corrupted so I have to upload them again tomorrow ;)

Sorry for having led this thread be quite for a week or so, but I've been buisy... Our team have now grown considerately, and we will soon (read: within days) be able to make a lot of new pictures available for several countries. Including: Germany, USA, Soviet Union, England and more. We even have new propaganda posters to show you. We do though lack some space on which to upload these files too (I only have 200 mb available, which also has to be used for other stuff...)

and just a little teaser... new tech team pictures for Germany.
ger_tech_1.jpg

Alikos said:
nicer man . really nice.
would love to see new sprites-
there is a real shortage.

(I totally agree about the shortage of sprites -- & am glad to see others are interested in changing this -- )

Does anyone know if it is possible to import sprites from the original HoI for use in HoI2, for the units that used to have sprites in the original but not in HoI2? For ex., could you import the tac.bomber or dive bomber sprites so as to *not* just have the generic fighter sprite represent *all* your air units (which frankly drives me batty)?
:confused:

any advice greatly appreciated

Nice initiative...HOI could certainly do with a little freshening up. :)

Gip 0.2 Beta Release

I can now announce that the full version of the GIP 0.2 BETA can now be downloadet from the first post of this thread. The promised installer has not been made, but if you extract your files into your game folder, they should place themself in the right folders (at least they do on my pc).

We will make the installer ASAP. If you encounter any problems in the meen time, please contact me through PM or post in this thread.

I hope you'll all enjoy this :)

Screenshots from the GIP 0.2 BETA:

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
12.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

It really looks great. They only thing that hurts a bit, is the mix of colored and black & white pictures in minister screen. But i guess that will be changed in future versions ? ;)