• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CountArach

Captain
81 Badges
Oct 18, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Hi all! First off thanks for taking the time to read this far into it...

This will be my AAR about Croatia. I plan on playing it right through to HoI2:Arma and to play as Croatia the entire way through (assuming I get that far... :p ). I am playing with the Alternative Scenario Set-up that was created by Veld for CK 1.05 (Seeing as I am a poor university student I can't afford DV).

Ummm, not much more to say really. I will be writing it as a history book (After all I study Ancient History so I get to read a lot of them :rolleyes: ) written after all of the events that are portrayed. No cheating, playing on Normal/Normal when a game asks me what difficulty I want. I like to play a slow, methodical game. I mean, I have 900 years and I want plenty of nations to be there at the end, so why rush?

I will be role playing my characters. This is one of my favourite things about CK. I get to put myself in my character's shoes. Even when an event has the choice of "Your character may die" or "Get 1000 gold for nothing" I will pick whatever my character will.

So anyway, on with the show…

Index in the first post.

PS - PLEASE COMMENT. Comments are what let me know that people are still reading it. If people keep reading it I will keep writing.

Last edited:
Index

Index

Will be divided up into Books based on the King at the time and Chapters based on a year/multiple years if little happens. If you do not feel like reading all of it, I suppose you could just read the Book summary chapter, though there may be a few references that may not be understood. Still, it is a fast way to catch up.

Book I - The Reign of King Petar Kresimir Trpimirovic (1066 - 8th February 1090)
Chapter I - Late 1066 and 1067 - Overview of the Kingdom
Chapter II - 1068 - War with Ragusa
Chapter III - 1069 to Late 1071 - Intervention in Hungary
Chapter IV - 1072 - Intervention in Hungary Part II
Chapter V - 1073 and 1074 - Peaceful times

The World in 1075

Chapter VI - 1075 to 1077 - The Pechenegs Expedition
Chapter VII - 1078 to 1080 - The First Dkulja War
Chapter VIII - 1081 to 1083 - The Great Crusade
Chapter IX - 1084 - The Great Crusade Part II
Chapter X - 1085 - The Great Crusade Part III
Chapter XI - 1086 - The Great Crusade Part IV
Chapter XII - 1087 and 1088 - Hungary against Galich
Chapter XIII - 1089 to 8th February 1090 - The last years of King Petar

Summary of King Petar's Life

Book II - The Regency Council (8th February 1090 – October 2nd 1101)
Chapter I - 1090 and 1091 - War with Byzantium
Chapter II - 1092 to 1094 - War with Byzantium Part II
Chapter III - 1095 and 1096 - Wars with Hungary and England
Chapter IV - 1097 to 1101 - War with England Part II

The World in 1100

Book III - The Reign of King Trpimir Trpimirovic (October 2nd 1101 to November 14th 1137)
Chapter I - October 2nd 1101 to 1103 - Expedition against Istria
Chapter II - 1104 and 1105 - The Acquisition of Krain
Chapter III - 1106 to 1109 - The seizing of Corfu
Chapter IV - 1110 and 1111 - The Second Hungarian War
Chapter V - 1112 to 1115 - King Trpimir's religious issues.
Chapter VI - 1116 and 1117 - The Civil War Part I
Chapter VII - 1118 and 1119 - The Civil War Part II
Chapter VIII - 1120 and 1121 - The Civil War Part III
Chapter IX - 1122 to 1125 - The Succession Crisis of 1125

The World in 1125

Chapter X - 1126 to 1128 - Count Drzislav and The New Inheritance
Chapter XI - 1129 to 1132 - Peaceful Expansion
Chapter XII - 1133 to 1134 - War with Germany Part I
Chapter XIII - 1135 to November 14th 1137 - War with Germany Part II and King Trpimir's Death

Summary of King Trpimir's Life - Includes Books II and III

Book IV - The Reign of King Nikola Trpimirovic (November 15th 1137 - January 25th 1149)
Chapter I - 1137 to 1141 - The Inheritance Negotiations
Chapter II - 1142 to 1145 - Another New Inheritance
Chapter III - 1146 to January 25th 1149 - The 3 Month War

Summary of King Nikola's Life

Book IV - The Reign of King Tomislav Trpimirovic (January 25th 1149 - ?)
Chapter I - 1149 to 1150 - Back Towards Serbia

The World in 1154

Chapter II - 1151 to 1154 - Domestic growth
Chapter III - 1155 to 1158 - Another German War
Chapter IV - 1159 to 1162 - The Piast Inheritance
Chapter V - 1163 and 1164 - Prelude to war
Chapter VI - 1165 and 1166 - The Great Byzantine War
Chapter VII - 1167 to 1169 - King Tomislav's Mental Condition
Chapter VIII - 1170 to 1174

Last edited:
Book I - Chapter 1

Book I – The Rule of Petar Kresimir Trpimirovic
Chapter I – Late 1066 and 1067

The Kingdom of Croatia at the end of 1066 could generally be considered quite a strong regional power, though by no means a global one. Further, they had no real power beyond their borders, being able to only scare some of their neighbours to the south-east in the forms of the Republic of Ragusa and the Duchy of Duklja. The land it comprised was wedged between these two minor powers, Hungary to the North and East, and the Holy Roman Empire to the West.

B1Ch1Pic6.jpg

The Kingdom of Croatia and surrounding Kingdoms in 1066, post unification.

As already discussed earlier in this volume, King Petar Trpimirovic of Croatia had no sons by the year of 1067, though he had 1 daughter who was of a young age. Instead he had to rely on his two cousins to act as his successors. They were Dmitar Trpimirovic, the Duke of Slavonia and a loyal supporter of the King, and Stjepan Trpimirovic, a landless noble of little note at this time.

B1Ch1Pic1.jpg

Petar Trpimirovic, King of Croatia in 1006.

B1Ch1Pic4.jpg

Stjepan Trpimirovic, first in the line of succession.

B1Ch1Pic2.jpg

Dmitar Trpimirovic, Duke of Slavonia and second in the line of succession.

On December 26th, 1066, King Trpimirovic saw fit to grant his cousin Stjepan the title Count of Rama, a rather small plot of land on the eastern extremity of Croatia. The reason that King Petar has for making this appointment are in his diaries and he says:

“My dearest cousin Stjepan is legally the first in the order of succession to the throne of Croatia, a position of utmost responsibility and power. For such a position to have any authority, the title holder must have an area from which to draw his own powerbase and wealth. This makes it possible for one to arrive at the throne. Hence, if there were to be any challenge to Stjepan’s ascension to the throne, he should have somewhere from where to draw power. Hence, I saw fit to grant him the title Count of Rama.”

January of 1067 saw an ambassador from the Kingdom of Hungary arrive, with an offer for an alliance. Hungary was an excellent strategic choice for an ally, because it ensured that King Petar’s northern border was secure. Similarly, if attacked by the Holy Roman Empire or the Byzantines both Kingdoms could form a unified front.

B1Ch1Pic5.jpg

January 1067 – An alliance is formed with the Kingdom of Hungary.

On either the 20th of March or the 21st (The records remain unclear on this, though the 20th seems to be the date given by the largest number of primary sources), the King’s only daughter and indeed only child Neda died from what appears to be the Flu. This was a blow to the royal family; for it now meant that there was no way that someone of King Petar’s own blood could take over. Instead one of his own cousins would have to take over on his death. Hence the Kingdom was one step closer to civil war.

B1Ch1Pic7.jpg

The King’s daughter Neda dies from the flu.

The King grieved for a while and his diary and letters show that he started ”with renewed vigour to attempt to foster a child of my own blood.” However, despite all of his hard work (if you will excuse the innuendo) he was unable to do so. His wife was simply past childbearing age, being in her mid 40s.

Nevertheless, the affairs of the Kingdom had to move on and on November 18, 1067 King Petar declared himself Duke of Croatia. Of course no one opposed his creation of this new Duchy, for all of the territory that could broadly be considered Croatian belonged to him. However, by December King Petar had gone too far in his will to heap titles on himself.

On December 11 of the same year, King Petar declared himself Protector of Ragusa. However, he did not have protection on his mind. Indeed at the same time he declared that there was an emergency in the Republic, with an insurrection beginning. Of course, these were all lies – there is no evidence of the sort, despite what some Croatian apologists would have us believe.

The King declared in his speech at the ceremony that accompanied his seizing of the title, “The only way to stop the current crisis which grips the Republic of Ragusa is with military force. These people wish to see all of the people of the Republic killed, their women raped and forced to watch their sons crucified. No good person in their right mind could allow this travesty to continue! For this reason, it is with God on my side that I shall declare war upon these insurrectionists and bring the people of Ragusa real protection!”

B1Ch1Pic8.jpg

The King declares war upon Ragusa, using the flimsy pretext of an insurrection.

In the next chapter we shall view the events in Ragusa and the happenings in 1068.

Last edited:
Book I - Chapter 2

Chapter II – 1068

The mobilisation for the war with the Ragusan ‘insurgents’ began in earnest, with the King mobilising his own regional force from Split and the force of Boris Kosaca, Count of Zachlumina. Together this force numbered about 1000 men, by all accounts 4 times that which was available to the Magistrate of Ragusa.

The King’s strategy was simple: March straight to the walls of Ragusa, fight a battle with whatever forces could be mustered to fight him, and then lay siege to the city. The armies would simply act like a bludgeon.

B1Ch2Pic1.jpg

The King’s plans for the war against Ragusa.

After a month of marching, 3rd February came around and the King came to battle with his enemies, who deployed outside the walls of their city. The tactics of this battle had the same brutal simplicity that defined the entire war – the King ordered a charge with his swordsmen while his far cavalry dealt with their opposite numbers.

B1Ch2Pic2.jpg

The Battle of Ragusa.

Most of the forces that the Magistrate of Ragusa mustered were put to the sword and the results were disastrous, only a handful of able bodied men remaining Military historians have often wondered why the Magistrate did not wait in his city and attempt to fight back. However, they forget that this was not an option considering the short amount of time that the Republic had to organise for the war.

B1Ch2Pic3.jpg

The results of the Battle of Ragusa.

The siege began soon after, with all of the roads out of the city being blocked off by February 13th. Boris Kosaca wrote one of the most memorable accounts of the siege to his son:

”The womenfolk of the city were constantly wailing for their sons and husbands, whose corpses were placed on spikes outside of our camp. The stench of rotting flesh permeated the air for several days after the battle, until finally the carrion birds had completed their task and had torn their feast from the bodies of the fallen. Of course, our men had received a proper burial. Such is the way of war.”

B1Ch2Pic4.jpg

The siege of Ragusa begins.

This grisly image is backed up by several sources, though none with the same morbid detail of the Count of Zachlumina. Two weeks into the siege Alexandro, then Magistrate of Ragusa offered the entire treasury of the city in exchange for peace. However, it is likely that both sides knew that this was unacceptable. The city was at the mercy of King Petar’s men and there was no way he would bring them home without first seizing the city and cleansing it of ‘insurgents’.

B1Ch2Pic5.jpg

The Magistrate of Ragusa offers peace, but is refused.

It is worth briefly pausing on a note about the Byzantine Empire at this point. The Empire had been for the most part stable, barring the rebellion of the Duke of Vidin on King Petar’s border. However, by May 1068 the Duke of Epiros had joined him, thus meaning that the entire western border was in rebellion, as was a small portion of the east. This distraction meant that King Petar could expand at his own leisure.

B1Ch2Pic6.jpg

The Byzantine Empire starts to fracture.

Most of the year was quiet, until 11th November, when the inner wall of Ragusa finally fell and the Magistrate surrendered himself to the King’s armies. The King ordered his immediate beheading once he heard the news. He claimed that this was just the beginning of the end for the insurgency and that now ”[The] people of Ragusa may now live without fear. Those who were seeking to threaten their way of life will now be punished.”

B1Ch2Pic7.jpg

Peace is declared when Ragusa falls to the King’s armies.

The King also ordered the immediate suspension of the Republic, claiming that it could not be reinstituted while there were subversive elements of society. The announcement of this caused an immediate outbreak of rioting, largely led by the propertied people of the city. They were able to whip the peasants up into a frenzy. There were many clashes with the King’s forces.

B1Ch2Pic8.jpg

The Kingdom of Croatia at the end of 1068.

The next chapter will take us up to the close of the year 1071 and the many events that transpired in that time.

It seems there's a Mega Campaign mania right now, but I don't care, the more, the better :D. Good luck and I'll be following!

Book I - Chapter 3

Chapter III – 1069 to Late 1071

The years we are about to consider were of the utmost importance to the Croatian Kingdom and would help to define their foreign policy for many years to come. As the great historian Alojzije Konscak wrote:

“Without the foreign policy that was developed in the year 1071 much of the Croatian state would not exist in the form that it does today. It was characterised by a strong independence, while at the same time achieving a level of foreign policy cooperation that had thus far eluded the monarchy.”

However, we shall get to that year in a moment. Let us first examine some of the events of 1069 and 1070.

During January of 1069 there is evidence of a strengthening of those parts of society which the government would rather be rid of altogether – the underground network of spies, thieves and ne’er-do-wells. In Split there has been evidence found for what could be considered something of a ‘guild’ of thieves, though the term should be cautioned against as it assumes a high level of organisation that was likely to elude those who were part of it at the time. This can generally be attributed to many of the soldiers returning from campaigning in Ragusa to find that some of their land had been taken, destroyed or let fallow.

During October of 1069 the King of Hungary, Salamon Arpaday (who was in his late teens at this time) started a war with the small County of Torki to their north, who were part of the Principality of Kiev. This caused a war of an unprecedented scale that dragged much of the Hungarian Kingdom in; the King even had to go so far as order a Grand Mobilisation of all of his vassals. This was to have dire consequences, as we shall see. King Petar was still bound by the treaty of alliance and as such declared war upon the Principality of Kiev.

B1Ch3Pic1.jpg

October 1069 - War begins with Kiev.

It is unlikely that King Petar intended to actually assist to a large extent in this war, however his declaration of war ensured that Hungary’s southern border was strong and there was no need to keep a garrison there.

During November of 1069 the popular revolts in Ragusa reached a new bloody height. The town was almost entirely reclaimed, except for the inner fort and the military garrisons dotted throughout the city. A call was made for a reinstatement of the old Republic. It would appear that the hand of King Petar was forced and, always one to recognise when he was defeated, the King gave in to their demands. The King utterly refused to give them complete autonomy, and as such allowed them a limited Republic where they were given control over most of their internal matters (the exception being the miltary) yet they were still a tool of Croatian foreign policy. This was instituted on 18th November, 1069.

B1Ch3Pic2.jpg

Ragusa’s revolts achieve their aim of reinstituting the Republic.

Meanwhile throughout 1070 the war to the north of Hungary continued. The King of Hungary successfully annexed the County of Torki; however he lost a couple of cities to siege. Fortunately for the Hungarian King the Principality of Kiev suffered some internal troubles and were forced to abandon their war effort for the sake of maintaining internal unity. This gave the King the time he needed to reclaim his cities. Peace would not be declared until mid 1071, and then it was only a white peace, with Hungary maintaining their claim upon Torki. For more details on this war I can recommend the book The Pre-modern Wars of Hungary by my friend and colleague Joseph Williamson.

King Petar attempted to sign a separate peace treaty during October with no conditions. This was rebuked by the Prince of Kiev by the end of October, and the war continued with neither side actively threatening the other.

B1Ch3Pic3.jpg

The Prince of Kiev refuses peace.

By November of 1070 the aforementioned splintering was occurring and the Prince of Kiev was forced to reconsider a white peace. On November 26 the Peace of Zaradin was signed, with neither side gaining anything.

B1Ch3Pic4.jpg

Internal splintering cause the Prince of Kiev to reconsider.

As mentioned the King Salamon was forced to order a grand mobilisation. This had the consequence of annoying several of his vassals. The first vassal to declare civil war, after two months of negotiations was the Bishop of Csanad. War was declared some time during May, though any clear date eludes us and likely will for many years to come.

B1Ch3Pic5.jpg

The Bishop of Csanad declares war on their former King.

Of course King Petar knew that he was going to have to bear the brunt of the fighting, considering King Salamon had just come out of a very expensive war and was still working on remilitarising. King Petar mobilised some of the forces of the Duke of Slavonia and ordered them to march into the Bishopric of Csanad.

B1Ch3Pic6.jpg

The Duke of Slavonia’s forces march into the Bishopric of Csanad.

After a six week march through Hungarian lands, marred by a lack of local cooperation, the forces of Csanad were brought to battle and utterly dispatched. We do not know the exact numbers; however we do know that at least 1500 men remained to undertake the siege.

Some defectors managed to make their way through the Hungarian lands and amongst them were several noteworthy people. The one who concerns us the most though is Gergely Bebek, a man with a legitimate claim to the County of Csanad. The man’s grandfather had owned the land before it was declared a Bishophric. Gergely was able to get an audience with the King and urged him to assist in getting the title back into his family. He pledged allegiance to king Petar right there and then. The King considered for a moment and then declared that, “this man’s story is most worthy of consideration. I am willing to help my loyal servants. We shall do as he says.”

B1Ch3Pic7.jpg

B1Ch3Pic8.jpg

Gergely Bebek joins the court of King Petar.

The Pope called for the Peace of God in regards to the conflict between King Petar and the Bishop of Csanad. King Petar decided to respect it, later claiming that “the war was not my war to fight.” However, the Bishop of Csanad could not be found to say that he would respect it on his side. Some amusing anecdotes would later spring up claiming that he was found in the cellar of one of the local churches, drunk on the sacramental wine.

B1Ch3Pic9.jpg

King Petar agrees to the Peace of God.

On the 2nd of November the civil war in Hungary escalated to a new level, with the Duchy of Transdanubia, comprising most of the south-west of the Kingdom, declaring itself sovereign and declaring war upon their former masters. This was a much more serious matter for King Petar, because the Duchy of Slavonia, the land of his vassal, bordered on the Duchy of Transdanubia. Nevertheless, despite the risk that it would bring to the Kingdom, he declared war in support of the Kingdom of Hungary.

B1Ch3Pic10.jpg

B1Ch3Pic11.jpg

The Duchy of Transdanubia declares itself independent.

Seeing the risk to the Kingdom, King Petar immediately requested that Dimitar Zvonimir, the Duke of Slavonia, should mobilise the other regiments in his force, for he already had supplied soldiers for the war against. Despite all reasoned thought saying that he should indeed mobilise his forces, the Duke decided against it. This move has baffled historians for many years and indeed continues to today. There are several possible reasons for why he did this, yet none of them are convincing enough to be placed in their publication.

B1Ch3Pic12.jpg

The Duke of Slavonia refuses to mobilise.

Towards the end of November, while the King was still puzzling over how to get enough soldiers to fight this war, word arrived saying that the Bishopric of Csanad had been liberated and any internal revolts suppressed. A peace treaty was signed several days later and the terms were as follows. The Bishop would renounce his (flimsy) claims on Split, Gergely would be made the new Count of Csanad and the entire treasury, drained though it was from the war, would be made the property of King Petar. Of course, Bishop Istavan knew that he had no choice but to sign this or die.

B1Ch3Pic13.jpg

The Peace treaty between King Petar and Bishop Istavan.

B1Ch3Pic14.jpg

The Kingdom of Croatia in December 1071.

So as we have seen the year 1071 was the true development of a new foreign policy. The Kingdom was now fully devoted to its ally Hungary (Hence the cooperation that was spoken of in the excerpt at the start of this chapter), however it also sought to further its own interests, as it did by taking over Csanad for itself. The King of Hungary could do nothing about this, distracted as he was by internal revolts.

The next chapter will see the war against the Duchy of Transdanubia.

@ asd21593 - Thank you. Glad to see some interest.

@ Capibara - There can never be enough Mega Campaigns! :D Glad to hear you will be following.

Now a question - Can anyone tell me what the Peace of God event actaully does?

Chapter IV – 1072

The war with the Duchy of Transdanubia only truly began in January of 1072. During December King Petar mobilised some of his own forces (the regiment from Senj) in order to defend the Duchy of Slavonia, the Duke having decided not to mobilise his forces.

The king had at his disposal the 1300 men from Senj and the 1300 men who had recently taken over Csanad. The Duchy of Transdanubia could muster just over 4000 men. Fortunately for the King they were focusing on their northern border where they were fighting the Kingdom of Hungary. During December the Duchy laid siege to two separate key areas in Hungary, leaving their homeland largely undefended. King Petar saw this and took advantage.

B1Ch4Pic1.jpg

King Petar orders his men into the Duchy’s territory.

While laying siege to Fejer in Northern Transdanubia two thousand Hungarian soldiers arrived to bolster the forces that were sieging the city. They were led by King Salamon of Hungary. This large force quickly began to reduce the defences of the city until finally Duke Elod of Transdanubia attempted to break the siege. On February 19th he moved out of his camp and advanced on the enemy. He was outnumbered two to one and his men were demoralised from a lack of pay (The war having drained most of the treasury). Elod realised that he was trying to fight a losing battle and withdrew fairly quickly, harried by the light cavalry of the Croatian and Hungarian forces.

B1Ch4Pic2.jpg

B1Ch4Pic3.jpg

The Battle of Fejer and its results.

By mid-March Duke Elod realised the serious trouble he was in and attempted to sign a white peace with King Petar. The King refused to sign it. He was waiting for a chance to declare himself the legitimate Count of Szekezfehervar in the south. A white peace would deprive him of this opportunity. The war was going well for the allied forces of Hungary and Croatia and there was no way they were going to turn away from that now.

B1Ch4Pic4.jpg

The situation in late March. The allied forces have made serious inroads against the rebels and have mostly stopped their advance.

Taking a small break from the ongoing war, we should look at a domestic matter of great importance. About this time the city of Ragusa reported an elevated level of Smallpox, and requested aid from the King. The aid was not to be in the form of more surgeons, but rather (As the then Magistrate Vladimir stated), “more men to aid in the burial of corpses and to ensure that the fields do not lie fallow, hence exacerbating the crisis by adding famine as well onto our heads.” There is some poetic justice that Magistrate Vladimir would later fall victim to the smallpox, one of the last victims in the city during this outbreak.

B1Ch4Pic5.jpg

Smallpox arrives in Ragusa.

By April most of the lands of Fejer had been subdued by the combined forces, and efforts turned to hunting down what remained of the Transdanubian army (Starvation from a lack of real supply lines was causing desertion-en-masse). King Petar decided to join in the efforts, though he maintained a garrison in the south at all times. King Salamon also decided that it was a good time to retake his land that had been subdued.

B1Ch4Pic6.jpg

As Fejer falls, efforts turn to hunting down the remnants of the rebel forces.

By July 1072 the province of Sopron had been retaken and several small skirmishes fought. Both Kings were present at this siege, and about this time there are some rumours of a homosexual relationship between the two. King Petar states, “we have been spending much time with one another, even sometimes spending the night under the same roof.” What he likely means is that they were spending the night in the same house, a custom that was not uncommon at this time amongst the upper nobility. We may never know the truth of if the two indeed had some sort of homosexual relationship, and scholarly debate on the subject is bound to continue for some time.

During the beginning of August, King Petar ordered that the forces of the Duke of Slavonia be sent home. He himself took up a position around Fejer while the Hungarians were busy defending their capital. On August 17th, he awoke to find something he had not expected. Coming through the morning fog he saw an army.

B1Ch4Pic7.jpg

The Second battle of Fejer.

Quickly the King ordered his light infantry to form a screen, with the light cavalry running in front of them to kick up dust. Mustering the rest of the army, he formed them on the road and withdrew. Conceding territory slowly and methodically he managed to escape with only a minimum of casualties to his men. However, the city of Fejer was put under siege again on the 23rd. At about the same time the Transdanubians started to lay siege to the Croatian gains in the south.

B1Ch4Pic8.jpg

King Petar is defeated.

With his defeat, the King sent an urgent request to the Duke of Slavonia. According to the Duke’s steward, it simply read, “Mobilise now. Your King needs you.” Without delay, on August 27th, the Duke of Slavonia ordered his men to mobilise, including those who were recently discharged. His biographers view this as his finest moment. Putting any possible quarrels behind him, Duke Dmitar ordered exactly what his King needed and came to the rescue. He was capable of putting 4100 men in the field and this is exactly what he did.

B1Ch4Pic9.jpg

The Duke of Slavonia finally orders mobilisation.

On the night of September 16 (or perhaps 26, though 16 is the more commonly given date) a messenger arrived in the King’s tent bearing a tempting proposal. The Duke of Transdanubia was willing to sign a white peace. The bloodshed could stop and King Petar’s Kingdom would no longer be threatened. Nevertheless he turned down the offer – he did have over 4000 men on the Transdanubian border after all, ready to engage the Duke’s armies in one final battle.

B1Ch4Pic10.jpg

The final plan of King Petar. They would throw everything they had at the Transdanubian forces.

Battle was finally joined on September 28th, however as became the case for the entire campaign, the outnumbered side fled the field to regroup later on.

B1Ch4Pic11.jpg

Duke Dmitar attempts to fight the last of the Transdanubians, however they flee the field.

By now the war was drawing to a close. It was blatantly obvious to both sides that the Croatians and Hungarians had won the war. The matter was finding a peace deal that would satisfy all parties. This was clearly not possible and the phoney war continued into mid-December. On December 12th, battle appeared to be only a couple of days away. It was to be between the Duke of Slavonia and his opposite number with roughly equal numbers of men, a first for the campaign. However, King Petar and some Hungarians showed up with 3000 more men two days later and the Transdanubians fled the field.

Finally, the King had had enough. He sent a messenger to the Duke, with a note of admiration regarding his tenacity. The Croatians agreed to a white peace. As King Petar said, “We have done our part and feel we have fulfilled our obligation to the King of Hungary. The war is no longer ours to fight.” This was great news for the Kingdom, especially the Duchy of Slavonia, considering now there was no need to pay the soldiers and they could all return to their farmland. A white peace was signed on December 19th.

B1Ch4Pic12.jpg

Peace is signed.

The war only continued for two more weeks, on January 1st the King of Hungary signed a peace treaty with the Duke and as part of the peace deal he received all of the Duke’s lands. This meant that both of his vassals could remain free and independent; one of them gave up his land for the Duke.

The next chapter will deal with the years 1073 and 1074, after the peace treaty is signed. This period is notable for a moral dilemma that King Petar is forced to consider.

Last edited:
You appear to be profiting very nicely from the disorder in the realms of your opponents.

Mega Campaigns are always good, simply because they are Mega Campaigns. :D

@ stnylan - Yep, I am quite happy to have my allies tear themselves apart, as long as I benefit. Pity I couldn't get anything off Vidin though. Belgrade would've been nice. All in good time I suppose.

@ Snugglie - You have that right :D

Book I - Chapter 5

Chapter V – 1073 and 1074

The three years to be described are largely characterised by a period of peace, however there are still several notable occurrances that are worth writing about.

B1Ch5Pic1.jpg

Southern Hungary in January 1073.

The King did not make any important decisions during the early and middle months of the year 1073, however he did show his wishes to aline himself closer with Rome when he granted an itinerant bishop a place in his court. The man was largely incompetent; however the court had not had an official bishop since the death of the last one in 1047 and as such King Petar was all too glad to find him a place. All of the extra praying must have worked for in October news arrived that Ragusa was over the worst of its smallpox epedemic.

That is all that occurred in 1073, however the King reports an intriguing story in his diary, dated January 29, 1074. It is quoted in full below:

On this day I was presented with an interesting choice. That wholesome foreign wench who serves my wine of an evening approached my bed chambers last night. Though there was little unusual about her visit, the way that the light caught her hair seemed different. There was a slight gleam coming from it that made me hot under the collar.

Of course it is my right to sleep with any one woman who I please before any others may sully her. I knew not if she was married or a virgin, nor do I particularly care to find out. My heart started leaping in a way that my wife no longer can create. The blood racing must have gone straight to my face, for when her passing glance fell on my she turned bright red in imitation of myself. She bowed her head and said, “Milord, what would your pleasure be?”

I could have said – and done – anything that one would dare to think up, however I knew that if I were to do this then I would be a deamon in the eyes of myself, and most importantly in the eyes of the lord. Further, if my wife were to catch wind of this going-on, she would perhaps seek to have me killed, or worse yet, she would kill me herself whilst I was laying beside her in my sleep. So I dismissed the wench and sat back, pondering various things.

B1Ch5Pic2.jpg

B1Ch5Pic3.jpg

The King is forced to make a moral decision, however he gets the better of his emotions and chooses not to be unfaithful to his wife.

Whatever one believes about the King’s decision here, there is one thing that may have loomed heavy on his mind at the time. He still had not fostered a son, and given his wife’s age, it is likely that he never would. Instead the royal succession would fall to his nephew Stjepan. Though this was not a huge concern, nor was it uncommon at the time, it must still have led the King to consider fathering a Bastard son.

No other major events occurred throughout 1074, instead the Kingdom enjoyed a year of relative prosperity, with many public works being constructed, most notably the construction of tile factories. Much could be written on the economic development during these years, however I set out to create a military and political history of Croatia, and that is what I shall confine myself to doing.

The next chapter shall be an overview of the world in 1075, something which I hope to be able to do for every 25 years of history. There will be short comments and a very brief history on each section .

It must be said a chaste King is an unusual event in an AAR, all the more welcome become of its rarity.

Nice AAR,some day I will play Croatia too
In my AAR Lettigallish Dream Croatia is becoming an empire because they took almost the entire north and center of Italy
So watch out maybe some foolish italians secede from the HRE in your game too,then Italy will be yours

@ Enewald - Hopefully I will have most of the Balkans. That is of course assuming that the Ottomans don't have other ideas :D

@ Stnylan - If the choice was mine I would have had the Bastard son, but because of the role playing element I couldn't do what I wanted.

@ TheConqueror - Italy is definitely one of my long-term aims.

Europe in 1075

As said this chapter will be one which I shall include throughout the book, covering every 25 years of history. I shall have an image of Europe and the extent of all Kingdoms at that time (based on the best literary evidence available to us), as well as showing North Africa and the Near East. Finally there will be a short explanation of the situation at this time in those areas.

1075World.jpg

Europe in 1075

First off an explanation on the Byzantine Empire. The Purple here shows the extent of the Byzantine Empire in 1075, with the red showing states that are currently in a state of rebellion or states that had been granted independence. Future updates will show in red only the states that have rebelled since last time. States that last independently throughout the entire 25 years will be granted their own colour.

Starting from West to East and North to South, we shall now look at specific regions.

The British Isles

1075England.jpg

The British Isles in 1075.

Mainland England remains mostly unchanged since 1066; however there were rebellions in the north of England when Robert of Normandy ascended to the throne. There was also a war between England and Scotland, where the Scottish King was forced to yield territory to his southern neighbours. Northern Ireland was unified and is at this time under the rule of one Duchy.

Spain

1075Spain.jpg

Spain in 1075. The right map shows Muslim and Christian States.

The war in Spain had been running for quite a while prior to the period we are interested in. During the late 1060’s the Kingdom of Castille was allied with the Kingdom of Leon and they were successful in pushing deep into Muslim-held territory, ultimately delivering about two thirds of the entire peninsula into the hands of Christendom. However, the King of Castille claimed he had a right to the title King of Leon (His claim was actually weaker than the legitimate claimant) and a war broke out between the two. Quickly the powerful Sheikdoms expanded their holdings, and eventually the entirety of the Kingdom of Leon was destroyed. In the west the Duchy of Porto expanded modestly, despite being under almost constant attack.

France and the Holy Roman Empire
I am combining these two because by this time no major changes of territories had occurred. They were both content to simply expand their grip on their realms.

Italy

1075Italy.jpg

Italy in 1075.

Only southern Italy is of real concern to us at this time. The Duchy of Apulia managed to engulf two of its smaller neighbours and hence have an almost complete control on the south. The County of Corsica succeeded in conquering all of southern Sardinia and the Count had the ability to declare himself Duke.

Russia

1075Russia.jpg

Russia in 1075.

Russia at this time was almost completely dominated by several small tribes, as well as two rival Principalities; Perislavl and Gallish, successors of the Principality of Kiev. Gallish is here shown in brown and Perislavl in light green. War was almost constant in this area at the time, largely due to a large degree of religious conflict.

First of all, I want to apologise for how long it has taken me to get this update done. I have had one hell of a week at Uni and the next two don't look like they will be much better.

Secondly, I want to thank thrashing mad for giving me the idea of using the maps and for uploading them.

every time I see a map of ck it looks always different compared to any other map...
The borders are never clean... a mess always. ;)

HoI is much clearer.... as is vicky... but eu's and ck are always messy.... :wacko:

But that just makes the game harder. :p