• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 22: Cleaning up the map

January 1, 1495: Krain and Gorz (Aquileia) core. A quick look around shows that Sokoto is now allied with Morocco, and guaranteed by Swahili and Adal (who can't do anything to help them.) Armies are moved into position to take down the two OPMs.
C22_218_Sokotostatus.png

March 1: Nunavik cores.

March 20: DoW Sokoto, bringing in Morocco, Swahili, and Adal.
C22_219_DoWSokoto2.png

April 1: Kanem Boru declares war on Sokoto. Too late, Duke!

April 15: Kanem Boru has no friends that aren't already at war with me, so, let's whack the Duke and his Animator-hating folk!
C22_220_DoWKanemBoru.png

June 15: Sokoto is annexed.
C22_221_Sokotoannexed.png

October 23: Morocco (Marrakech) is annexed.
C22_222_Moroccoannexed.png

October 28: Kanem Boru cedes Damagaram, Kanem, Mandara, and Bagirmi, and gives up 675 ducats. They're now an OPM. Also, our ruler dies, and Vicente Elhuyar is elected.
C22_223_KanemBorubecomesOPM.png

C22_224_VicenteElhuyar.png

November 1: Kanem Boru collapses. Whoops. BB check: 14.33.

December 1: Switch out 3 star navigator for 3 star pioneer giving +6 to colonial growth.

January 2, 1496: Adal peaces out.

February 1: Trade 13. 2 more to monopolies!

September 1: Bahia becomes self-sustaining.

August 13, 1497: France DoWs Avignon.

September 13: Gafsa (Tunisia/Algerian border) converts.

November 1: Vestbygen cores.

November 9: DoW Inca for more money.
C22_225_DoWInca3.png

December 1: Burgundian cores: Valenciennes, Barrois and Franche-Comte. Our explorer dies because we forgot him out in the ocean. Whoops.
C22_226_Burgudiancores.png

February 1, 1498: Trade 14. Refineries would be nice, but I can't afford them ATM.

April 4: Inca gives up 1350 ducats for peace.
C22_227_Incapays1350.png

April 10: Scandal at the court. Lose 50 ducats and 1 stability. These "lose 1 stability no matter what" events are inevitable: plan for them and assume you'll get 2 in short succession when you can't afford it.

August 1: Cancel mission to colonize La Plata...get the mission to destroy Turkish naval dominance again. God hates me.

September 27: Atlas converts.

October 26: Marrakech converts.

November 1: Algarve cores..

November 14: Ndongo (Kongo) converts.

December 1: There was a CoT in Damagaram that I forgot to destroy, so I destroy it now.

Elbasto: The colonies are a sucking money pit. I average -80 ducats a month between having to maintain my army at full maintenance and the stupidly large colony list. My inflation is now a little over 4%, since 1 month of minting nets me about 230.

Enewald: All the nations on the Eastern side, and Kanem Boru is an OPM.

Right now, Andalucia gets all the trade from the Americas (except Inca), Western Africa, and Iberia. I can tell you that the game heats up starting in 1500. :D

I want Andalucia to be the only CoT in the world. That's the end goal. It will almost certainly require either a WC or close to it, which I've never done, but it will also force me to use blockades and embargoes to weaken CoTs so that when I take them, I can destroy them. (I don't plan on being very prestigious).

...I think you may be certifiably insane. :eek:
:rofl:

Phase 5: Jump into other people's AAR's and disband their CoT's.

:eek:
Not my CoTs!?!
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
...I think you may be certifiably insane. :eek:
:rofl:

I'm a software tester. It's part of the job. As of 1510, 2 1/2 continents go through Andalucia exclusively (N. America, S. America, West half of Africa).

Chapter 23: The Spanish-Mameluk War - Round 1

This update is a little longer than most...but hopefully you won't mind. :)

January 1, 1499: Kanem Borno decides to build a CoT in Borno. Also, Diamientia defects from OE back to Mamluks.

April 1: Messina cores.

August 29: England gets Orkney and Reykjavik from Norway. In 50 years when that cores...it'll be pointless for colonization. Hah!

October 1: Trinidad becomes self-sustaining.

December 10: Damagaram converts.

February 1: Barahonas becomes self-sustaining.

March 1: The Incan CoT in Huamanga stagnates...so they instantly build another in Nazca. I'm sure it'll do good.

March 17: DoW Mamluks, bringing in Oman, Yemen, and Swahili. A quick look at the ledger shows 1 problem: the Mamluks have 2 of the 4 best generals in the world at the moment. Both have 5 shock. This won't change my plans though...the desert will eat them.
C23_228_DoWMameluks.png

C23_229_Mamelukgenerals.png

April 1: Trade 15. Monopolies! Woooooooot! Time to get Stab up, then Land up so I can compete with the big boys. The money, it shall roll in.

July 1: Manhattan, Cree, and Konian become self-sustaining.

September 26: Mamluk armies finally show up. I have a full blockade on their Mediterranean provinces, and their navy is always in the Red Sea, so they get to walk. 1 cav regiment and 16 infantry regiments are coming, with more behind them. I have 1 cav in Gafsa and 1 in Constantine, ready to scorch earth and move back. I've got 6K cavalry and 7K infantry behind that, and 16K infantry in Palermo, ready to be dropped off by transport. Once they get past the scorched earth and eat attrition, I'll crush them and chase them back to Cairo. Since the armies are going to Gafsa, I scorch Gafsa and move back.
C23_230_Mamelukarmiesarrive.png

C23_231_Gafsascorched.png

October 10: Oman asks for peace. No reason to let them out yet - let 'em sweat. Besides, they already have a high WE - look at the war status:
C23_232_Mamelukwarstatus10-10-1500.png

November 1: Connecticut and Gold Coast become self-sustaining. I show off my great financial wizardry by running out of money again, and taking a 1557 ducat loan. Ain't I brilliant!

November 12: The Mamluk army reaches Gafsa, fails an assault, eats lots of attrition, and decides to wander off. 2K soldiers dead to kill less than 100 in the garrison. Tripolitania now has 5K cavalry and 21K infantry sitting in it, with some of that coming to Gafsa. More attrition!
C23_233_MameluksleaveGafsa.png

C23_234_ArmiesinTripolitania.png

December 1: Pernambuco (Brazil) becomes self-sustaining. I'm now using colonists solely to fill in existing colonies to reduce expenses.

December 16: Colonial Company founded - this one actually gives me something! 2 colonists in Kanewha (Texas).

December 20: Yemen begs for peace. No. Eat WE and die!

January 1, 1501: Modena, Ferrara, and Romagna core.

February 1: Gaza defects from Persia to the Mamluks.

February 23: A quick strike into Gafsa to stop a siege and force more attrition. We pull back, hoping they bring more troops in.
C23_235_BattleofGafsa.png

March 1: Ivory Coast becomes self-sustaining.

March 10: Berber patriots spawn in Gafsa, attacking the Mamluks there. Hah! The fight is a little one-sided, but it will give the Mamluks more attrition.
C23_236_RebelsinGafsa.png

April 1: Some before/after photos of what happens to armies in a scorched desert in just 1 month: 27214 men in, 23025 men out. Almost 4200 men wiped out without a fight. Since some are coming to Constantine, we scorch it.
C23_237_Attrition.png

April 20: Our cavalry didn't move fast enough, so they have to flee. Never be afraid to flee if you're caught in a bad position.
C23_238_BattleofConstantine.png

May 1: Stability rises to 1.

May 4: 20 Mamluk regiments are coming to Kabylia...and they have less than 13500 men left in them. This is the time and place - the reserves will be brought in.
C23_239_MamelukscomingtoKabylia.png

May 21: Gobir converts. All our forces are now committed, giving a 2:1 advantage.
C23_240_BattleofKabylia.png

May 29: We win, but their 3 shock king inflicts some pain on us (He takes 3170 to our 3592 casualties). Notice that their previous king died from the attrition. Despite the attrition we'll take, we hunt them down - better to take attrition now if we can wipe out 20 regiments. Besides - we'll reinforce (getting about 4K more men), while they'll lose men (about 500).

June 10: Gafsa falls. So what.

June 12: A lone Mamluk cavalry regiment runs into our cavalry and dies.

June 21: We win in Constantine, with 8:1 advantage in casualties. Morale overrun imminent.

July 1: Puerto Rico and Grao Para become self-sustaining.

July 26: Their armies link up, and we beat the crap out of them in Gafsa. I will pay a cost here in WE from the attrition of chasing them into a scorched province. A quick siege retakes Gafsa.
C23_241_2ndBattleofGafsa.png

August 1: Acadia cores. There are now 36 regiments fleeing to Tunis that I want dead. There's also an Omani army that's inexplicably wandering through the desert...they're in Morocco now. They walked all the way from Oman!
C23_242_36regimentstoTunis.png

C23_243_LostOmaniRegiments.png

November 1: Swahili begs for peace. No.

December 10: After beating them quickly in Tunis (screenshot lost), we siege, take Tunis, and follow to Gabes, where we kill 7000 more Mamluks and catch even more regiments in our trap.
C23_244_BattleofGabes.png

December 14: Gabes falls to a quick siege.

January 1, 1502: Unami becomes self-sustaining.

January 13: Another battle in Tunis wears them down...the AI is not stupid enough to stand there and die.
C23_245_2ndBattleofTunis.png

January 27: A 9 regiment cavalry army shipped in from Italy crushes 4 regiments of Mamluk infantry that were sieging Kabylia.

February 1: Hainaut declares independence from France in Artois.

More chasing: Gabes to Tunis...and then...

March 27: The Mamluk armies flee to Gafsa, where 15 Spanish cavalry regiments run them down and destroy them. 5 cavalry regiments and 29 infantry regiments are wiped out. It's now time to assault our way to Alexandria!
C23_246_3rdBattleofGafsa.png

It's nagging me that you haven't posted an update. :D:rofl:

Anyway I think I am subscribed thus far.

It's nagging me that you haven't posted an update. :D:rofl:

Anyway I think I am subscribed thus far.

I was going to do a second update last night, since my son had me up late, but then he fell asleep as I was starting it, and sleep sounded better. I plan on an update tonight.

You've got some trade mapmode maps? I'd like to see your progress :)

Chapter 24: Backstab!

April 23, 1502: A 2 regiment Omani army arrives in Gabes and is quickly crushed.

May 1: Delaware is self-sufficient. Stability increases to 2.

June 1: Segu, Jenne, and Massina core (Mali).

June 19: The Omani regiment that walked across Africa has gone around the
Sahara and is now marching East through Segu. Attrition has done quite a bit...
C24_247_OmaniregimentsinSegu.png

July 1: Prussia forms a CoT in Ostprussen.

July 14: England declares war, thinking we are weak. The Palatinate (who is HRE) joins in. This could get nasty. I immediately redeploy the navy to England before they can wipe my patrols, and prepare to move some cavalry up to fight off the Palatinate. A quick look at the war summary calms me down: England's navy must have gotten decimated by someone.
C24_248_Englanddeclareswar.png

C24_249_EnglandWarsummary.png

August 12: An English force of 2 carracks hit my patrol at Cape Hatteras. I dispatch 24 barques to stomp them.

September 23: 4 English carracks hit a patrol in Finistierre Bay. 41 Spanish carracks arrive on their way to England, and make quick work of them. Kanem converts, and Tripolitania falls to an assault.

September 29: A British galley and transport are sunk in the Western Approaches.
C
October 4: 2 British carracks sunk in the Bay of Biscay.

October 13: 2 more British carracks sunk off Land's End.

October 17: 2 more carracks sunk in The Channel. England's 6 remaining carracks are locked in a fight with my Barques off the American Eastern Seaboard.

December 11: Kabylia converts.

December 25: The Omani regiments camp for Christmas in Damagaram. Each regiment has 2 people now.
C24_250_OmaniregimentsinDamagaram.png

January 26, 1503: Cyrenaica falls to Spanish assault. A few small Mamluk armies have died trying to get out of the army's way, otherwise, the war has been quiet.

February 22: A quick look at the Spanish holdings in the Empire show that the Palatinate is busy besieging.
C24_251_Palatinatesieges.png

March 29: My barque fleet got pummeled by the 6 carrack fieet England had at Cape Hatteras, so I sent 16 carracks to reinforce. A good tip for catching enemy fleets that are going after your patrols: use light ships to run them down, then follow up with big ships to kill them. Light ships are expendable, and cannot generally hold their own with big ships. A carrack can easily beat 2 barques, and can even win with 1:3 or sometimes 1:4 odds. War total: 6 barques lost, 1 carrack captured. England is now out of ships except for 12 transports.
C24_252_BattleofCapeHatteras.png

May 1: Stability increases to 3. Time to buff up Land.

May 23: The Omani regiments in Damagaram have reinforced to 24 men! I'm wondering if they went around, or cut across the Sahara...

June 1: Barrois falls to the Palatinate, and Spain has, until just now, no armies in the area, other than 1K infantry hiding in Vlaandern to resiege, and 3K infantry in Italy. However, 16 cavalry are now in theatre and heading to hunt down siege stacks.

June 19: France annexes Orleans (the last French minor), and Libya falls to an assault.

June 26: The northernmost Palatinate army is crushed at Limburg.
C24_253_BattleofLimburg.png

June 29: Colonial ventures. We take the naval tech investment option again.

July 31: The Mamluks are at 14.9 WE, and Oman is at 9.99 WE. However, with 2 wars, the likelihood increases that someone will backstab me while my armies are flung all over the place.
C24_254_Mamlukwarsummary7-31-1503.png

August 20: The Palatinate's army in Worms is crushed. 1 stack remains in Valenciennes.
C24_255_BattleofWorms.png

September 1: Government 11! Another Idea! We take National Trade Policy for the +10 TE. This will help us expand in Andalucia and get more money. It also unlocks the House of Trade decision.
C24_256_NTP.png

C24_257_HouseofTrade.png

We cancel the Destroy Turkish Naval Dominance mission...and get told to colonize the Spanish Main again. Grr.

September 6: Mandara converts.

September 27: Our armies charge into Valenciennes to crush the Emperor's troops! However, the Palatinate's general has other ideas, and thrashes us horribly. Time to switch tactics: if you can't beat them, siege their provinces.
C24_258_BattleofValenciennes.png

October 15: France cancels the military access they had with us. This is what I was afraid of. England is blockaded but I haven't attacked them yet, and half my available army is in Egypt and the other half is running around Germany getting pwned. An attack by France now would be catastrophic.
C24_259_FrancecancelsMA.png

The news is not all bad: since I took the loan and have kept cash on hand, I have 565 ducats on hand. I immediately spam-buld 25 cavalry regiments in Iberia and request Military Access back from France - they accept. This will help me play for time to buff up my defenses. I also build 4 merc infantry near the France/Spanish Italian border - for scorching and disbanding if France comes. Just remember: military access is a great warning device that the AI is about to come after you, and if your relations are high enough, you can usually give it back a few times to stall for time.
C24_260_FranceMA.png

October 28: Our Prince dies, and so we elect a new Prince: Tomas de Figueroa. His stats are meh. 3 Diplomacy is a bad thing right now.
C24_261_TomasdeFigueroa.png

November 5: Alexandria falls to siege, so we now demand that the border move all the way to Egypt proper. Now we can focus on England: killing their 14K army in Moribhan (which can't flee), and taking Ireland and Reykjavik.
C24_262_Mamlukscede5.png

Would you give us a synopsis on who has what in the world?

DSwann: Ooooh. Good idea! I'll do that. As a note, trade changes take effect at the beginning of the next month.

Trade mode screenshots:
Spain and N. Africa:
1504_SpainandNAfrica.jpg

Western Africa:
1504_WAfrica.jpg

Kongo:
1504_Kongo.jpg

Brazil:
1504_Brazil.jpg

Mexico and the East Coast:
1504_MexicoandEastCoast.jpg

Canada and Greenland:
1504_Canada.jpg

The rest of Europe:
1504_Europe.jpg

Notice that with the CoT in Liguria gone, the Paris and Venice CoTs have grown quite a bit. Holland's CoT is squeezing Vlaandern, and Ostprussen's is squeezing Lubeck.

The CoT Ledger:
1504_Ledger.jpg

The World Map in 1504

Some noteworthy features in 1504:
* Candar has eaten Trebizond and part of Georgia.
* The Timurids have survived in a smaller form. They are still tribal.
* Ahmadnagar (the blue in India) has gone on a rampage.
* Ming is eating SE Asia.
* The Golden Horde is going on strong. They are still tribal.
* The Mamluks have had problems with Persia to the east, but they are at least out of Tribal.
* As you can see, Poland has slowly been eating Hungary.
* Sweden has lost wars to both Denmark and Norway.
* Japan is expanding to the south, from the looks of it. I haven't discovered it yet.

The big news is that France has barely expanded, and I haven't bothered to find and eat the Iroquois. The Inca are dead after the truce ends, and Kanem Boru will get eaten soonish too.

EU3_MAP_SPA_150411_1.jpg

What has surprised me by this map is that it is relatively tame, as games go in 1 century.

Colonize all of the american west coast to prevent european troubles arriving there. In form of strange languages speaking colonists. :D
Poor Andalusians, a huge crowded city...