• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will be interesting to see how Long will take control of Cuba, definitely now that he has just been detected by American spies.
Well, so far just one American spy has made his way to Huey's front lawn, and he's been dealt with. It'll take some time before the CIA realizes something is going on in Cuba.
International crisis in the making. Can also be interesting as it was only really post Cuban crisis that Robert Kennedy became the anti-war voice, during the early days he was actually not so peaceful as he later claimed.
In this timeline, he's not so willing to send soldiers into a war situation, as his brother JFK died in the war against Japan.

Chapter II: Old Cuban
Chapter II: Old Cuban

21st of January 1961

Early in the morning, Huey overlooked his beach estate from his porch and saw his friend Fred parking his car near the guard tower. After a couple of minutes of clearing through security, Fred shook Huey’s hand. “How’s it going, Hu Wei?” Fred said, making fun of Huey’s fake identity. “Well, Frederico, you know, nothing new under the sun”, he answered. Fred smiled and said: “Haven’t you heard the news yet? About Kennedy and King?” Huey was confused, why would Fred smile while talking about them? Fred read the confusion on Huey’s face and quickly explained: “This is exactly what we need. A highly controversial and divisive presidency. This will keep the American public opinion away from Cuba and D.C. will be occupied with themselves. It means that now is the time to set our plan in motion!” Huey understood what this meant, Fred had already sent the order. It meant that soon, Huey would pull the strings in Cuba, not from behind the curtains, no. This time, he would openly assume control over the Caribbean country. Fred went on: “I’ve already ordered some men to put up your campaign posters all around the district for the coming elections. And if influencing the people’s minds doesn’t work, we can always influence the voting booths. I’m sure Batista can pull some strings to make sure you get that seat.” “I am not sure however, how long Batista can pull the strings. There have been reports of unrest. Especially the Castro brothers have posed a threat, but for now our men have been able to keep them at bay,” Huey replied, “And one of my men found an American agent on the property yesterday. I’m afraid they’ll soon know what we’re doing here. He’s been dealt with, but his superiors will wonder what happened to their agent.” “I’ll double the guards and we’ll put up a fence, that’ll keep them out for now”, Fred replied. For the rest of the morning, Huey and Fred discussed their plans.

In the meantime, Fulgencio Batista discussed the state of the Cuban economy with his most trusted advisors. Cuba certainly was not an industrialized country if compared to a nation like Belgium, but there was a lot of potential in the country. Industry was mainly concentrated around the capital Havana and in the province of Guantanamo in the south. Havana itself had 2 civilian factories, 1 military factory and a coal plant providing energy for the capital. In the province of Las Villas, just east of the capital, there was a civilian factory and a coal plant. In the southern province of Granma, there was a military factory and south of it, in Guantanamo, there was also a civilian factory and a coal plant. There was still a lot of room for improvement, especially in the centre of the island. But due to the nature of the economy, building more factories would be a slow process. The Cuban civilian economy directed goods towards consumption instead of construction. Of the 4 civilian factories, only 2 could be used for building new factories. One of Batista’s advisors pointed out that focusing on economic policy might improve the situation.

nVtg1kb.png

With an industrial effort, the nation could greatly improve its research into industry and construction technology, making it easier to expand the economy. With every construction or production effort, either a civilian or a military factory could be build every 50 days. At this rate, the economy would flourish within a year and allow future construction projects to be finished faster. In addition, the government could also spent some time and research into resource extraction, but at the moment, Cuba had enough resources to provide its industry with raw material.

GsDhszh.png

After the report on the economy, Batista overlooked the unrest dawning in Cuba’s universities. Especially the Castro brothers have been known to stir up the students in Santiago de Cuba. And even some ranks in the army were suspected of having sympathies for their cause. Batista’s position depended on two things: the support of the rich American exiles and the support of the army. If one of those two things would for some reason cease, Batista would need to look for an escape. One of his closest advisors, Andres Rivero Aguero, came up with the idea of invading another nation, using a foreign scapegoat always works to unify a divided nation. The army would be too occupied with fighting a war, so they wouldn’t have the time to organize a revolution. Moreover, they wouldn’t even be inside Cuba during an invasion. But now the question was: which foreign country could they invade without angering the US? Then one of the military advisors proposed Haiti. The nation had aggressively invaded the Dominican Republic in the 1930s and reports of oppressed Hispanics came in every day. Liberating Hispanic brothers and sisters would be the ideal casus belli, and so Cuba prepared for war. It would take approximately 210 days before the first soldiers would be able to liberate the island of Hispaniola from those imperialist Haitians.

kcBjzad.png

An invasion of Haiti would require a better army though, as the current armed forces only consisted of two divisions. Expanding it with another 4 divisions would ensure victory over Haiti, which according to Cuban intel, only had 1 division. But to have a successful invasion, Cuba would need a navy to secure superiority in the Caribbean Sea. Luckily for Batista, he could rely on some old American Union State ships from the Civil War. They were way out of date, but they would do against the meagre Haitian convoy fleet. And so the old Cuban and his entourage discussed their plans for the rest of the day, unaware of the unrest that would soon engulf the capital.

dDweFHh.png

----------
Thought I slipped some gameplay into this AAR this way. Batista is preparing Cuba for a war, while Huey Long is preparing to enter the Cuban stage of politics.

The stage is set for a regime change, will be interesting to see how and if America will respond, both to the Haitian invasion and the regime change itself.

Better to start small.

The stage is set for a regime change, will be interesting to see how and if America will respond, both to the Haitian invasion and the regime change itself.
One thing is sure, the future will be full of surprises, things even Huey Long couldn't predict.
Better to start small.
Like a seed which is sown in fertile soil, Long's plans will grow into a beautiful flower, until of course someone accidentally or intentionally steps on it.

Like a seed which is sown in fertile soil, Long's plans will grow into a beautiful flower, until of course someone accidentally or intentionally steps on it.
Planning your own demise, are you? :D ;)

Chapter III: Blood and Sand
Chapter III: Blood and Sand

(
c7n3lLr.png
)

22nd of January – 19th of August 1961

On the 15th of February 1961, parliamentary elections were held in Cuba. Huey Long managed to get “elected” for the province of Matanzas. But just as the results came in, unrest began in Havana. The Castro brothers had called their followers to action if Batista’s party would get elected in the capital. In a matter of hours, hundreds of people were gathered outside the presidential palace. Fulgencio Batista was in a precarious situation. He needed to escape the capital and return later with reinforcements. That is why he called in a favour from his friend Huey. Under the cover of the night, Batista fled the capital with his entourage and found refuge in Huey Long’s beach house in Bahia de Cardenas. There, he would meet with the American exiles to discuss how to act next. The next couple of days, the unrest worsened. Havana was now truly in a state of turmoil. Revolutionary anarchists were preventing people from going to work and even more importantly, the newly elected parliament didn’t have the chance to convene yet. The Castro brothers had assumed control over the city and Fidel, the eldest of the two, proclaimed himself the new president. To prevent further escalation, Huey proposed to use his Minute Men, his private army which now consisted of nearly a thousand men, to end the anarchy in Havana.

zIs99AA.png

Fidel Castro triumphing in Havana.

On the 26th of February, Huey arrived in Havana with his troops. The anarchists were completely taken by surprise, as they only looked out for the Cuban army and didn’t expect a private force this big. In three days, the streets of Havana were swept clean again. Huey was welcomed as a liberator, the ordinary people could return to their normal lives again. Only the political elite looked with suspicion upon this new member of parliament with his big private army. Long opened the first session of the new Cuban parliament on the 4th of March, getting himself elected as Chairman. The Castro brothers’ little uprising turned out to be just the thing Huey needed to gain power in the capital. After a few weeks, as all the ring leaders were arrested, except the Castro brothers who fled to the Cuban countryside, Batista finally returned to Havana as President of Cuba. His position, however, was heavily weakened as both the American exiles and the leftist anarchists had shown what they were capable of. The future of his presidency was uncertain. Batista could only watch from the side-line as Long and his puppets in parliament passed law after law to improve the status of the American exiles in Cuban society. At this rate, nearly half of Cuba’s industry would be in the hands of the Golden Circle. But Batista could not do much because of two reasons. Firstly, it was the Golden Circle who kept him in power, without Huey’s intervention back in February, Batista wouldn’t have been president anymore. Secondly, the industry greatly improved in the hands of American capitalists. They ensured the production of guns for his army and were thus vital in Batista’s invasion plan for Haiti. One thing was for sure though, the Knights of the Golden Circle haven’t infiltrated his entourage yet. He can still trust on those men and women to inform him truthfully and help him write policies. But for now, he had to be wary of his surroundings.

VRvLxFZ.jpg

Huey Long making his way to a parliamentary session in Havana.

By the end of July 1961, Batista had grown completely paranoid. In every law Huey Long pushed through parliament, he saw a conspiracy of the Americans, in every rural unrest, he saw the Castro brothers and their revolution. He decided that he had enough of both. On the 27th of July, Batista called his most trusted friend, Andres Aguero, and asked him: “Could you arrange a hit on Huey Long? I’ve had enough of his parliamentary actions and his conspiracies to fill my Cuba with American imperialists.” Aguero replied, somewhat confused: “Are you sure? I mean if the Golden Circle would find out, you’re basically a dead man.” But Batista was determined, according to him, an assassination was the only solution to this problem. Aguero nodded and said: “If that is what you wish, then I’ll arrange the assassination.” “O and there’s one more thing,” Batista said as Aguero was leaving his office, “I want to witness his death, so I can be sure it is done properly.” And so the next week, on the 2nd of August 1961, Batista and Aguero met Long on a sandy beach under the cover of the night. Aguero had arranged Batista’s bodyguard, which he presumed to be the assassin. “Why did you want to speak to me, old friend?” Huey began. Fulgencio replied: “You have to understand, amigo, that this could have been avoided, if you had stayed hidden in Bahia de Cardenas.” “What do you mean, Fulgencio? Is something wrong?” Huey asked. “I’m sorry I have to do this, Huey”, Batista replied. “No, I am sorry”, Huey Long said as he nodded to Aguero. Before Batista could look confused, his blood was already sinking into the sand. His most trusted friend had just stabbed him in the back, literally. As the world faded away before Fulgencio Batista’s eyes, so did his life. “Get rid of this body before the sun comes up”, Aguero said quite emotionally to the bodyguard. “It’s alright. You did the right thing”, Huey said to comfort his new ally. “Cuba will prosper without this paranoid old fool. All he is now is blood and sand.”

U6ISxom.png

The next day, all the Cuban and American newspapers rumoured about Batista’s death. When his body was found in a back alley in one of Havana’s poorer districts, everyone jumped to the conclusion that he was murdered by a common criminal. As Chairman of the House of Representatives, Huey Long, or as he was known to the broad public: Hu Wei Long, automatically assumed the position of President of Cuba. As a somewhat democratically elected President, Long enjoyed a relatively large popular support. The Cuban people hoped he would end corruption in the country and return Cuba to its democratic status. And for the first few weeks, it seemed that Huey was doing this. One of his first acts as the new President was to open an investigation into Batista’s coup d’état of 1952. As a result, many of Batista’s former allies were arrested and prosecuted for high treason. What was in fact a way to deal with possible political opponents, was seen by the public as a large anti-corruption operation. Now that Huey had enough popular support, he could continue Batista’s invasion plans for Haiti, and so on the 19th of August 1961, he declared war on the imperialists in Haiti.

93HKRiJ.png

The next day, President Kennedy of the United States proclaimed in a public statement that the Cuban aggression in Haiti defied all international law and he urged Long to halt all military activity or face the consequences. Kennedy did not mention which consequences however. In a meeting with Lyndon B. Johnson, director of the CIA, Kennedy expressed his concerns: “This Long person is really suspicious. I mean he comes out of nowhere, assumes control over Cuba and declares war on another independent nation. Also, the fact that nobody seems to be able to get an up-close photograph of this man makes me believe we are dealing with a dangerous individual.” “Mr. President, we have reason to believe this Long is in fact Huey Long, exiled leader of the American Union State. If this is to be true, he needs to be taken to an American court to be trialled for his crimes against the American people”, Johnson said. “We can’t just abduct the leader of another country, even if he’s an American criminal. We’ll have to find something else to get Long into an American court. What do we know about any resistance movements against Long in Cuba?” the President continued. “There is a substantial group of revolutionaries led by Fidel and Raul Castro who want to overthrow the Cuban government. With enough supplies and financial support, the Castro brothers could pose a real threat against Long”, Johnson replied. And so the President decided to covertly support the Castro brothers in their resistance against Huey Long.

XpUTzCB.jpg

----------
And so Huey Long is finally in control of Cuba, but the US Government is onto him and the countdown has begun until the final showdown between Long and his American compatriots.

Mr. President, we have reason to believe this Long is in fact Huey Long, exiled leader of the American Union State.
No, seriously: Wei Long = Huey Long :eek:? Reveal of the century, for sure ;). Let's see how long he'll be able to keep the Americans at bay.

President Kennedy hsa a pretty pickle in his backyard.

Mr Long was very smooth.

No, seriously: Wei Long = Huey Long :eek:? Reveal of the century, for sure ;). Let's see how long he'll be able to keep the Americans at bay.
Keep in mind, there's no internet in 1961, it's not like you can just look up someone's name and find pictures of him. In addition, Huey Long stayed under the radar until his election into parliament. And even then, in a country where the media is largely controlled by the state or some secret evil society, the chances are low that a picture of Huey Long makes its way all the way into the White House.
President Kennedy hsa a pretty pickle in his backyard.

Mr Long was very smooth.
Kennedy indeed has to be careful with his actions, it's not just some criminal who took over Cuba, it's a very smart criminal, wanted for crimes against America. Huey has a lot of tricks up his sleeve to not get caught.

All US really need to do is to send a naval detachment to Haiti and/or a no flight zone, and the Cubans are then literally unable to do a thing. Seems like this Chinese dictator is digging his own grave, and that rapidly. Unless some other great power wish to bloody Uncle Sam's nose..

All US really need to do is to send a naval detachment to Haiti and/or a no flight zone, and the Cubans are then literally unable to do a thing. Seems like this Chinese dictator is digging his own grave, and that rapidly. Unless some other great power wish to bloody Uncle Sam's nose..
It might seem so, but everything depends on the timetables. If the US navally blockades Cuba after Haiti already has been invaded, then it's less effective than if the naval blockade would prevent said invasion.

Oh yes, Huey has a waaaaaaaaay long time before he actually kicks the bucket for us.:D

Oh yes, Huey has a waaaaaaaaay long time before he actually kicks the bucket for us.:D
That's the thing, as he was assassinated in our timeline, I have 'full' liberty in how long I let him live.

That's the thing, as he was assassinated in our timeline, I have 'full' liberty in how long I let him live.
:( Ya didn't seem to have gotten the joke here.
Hu (Wei) Long

:( Ya didn't seem to have gotten the joke here.
Hu (Wei) Long
Now I see haha, jokes don't always translate well from English into my native language :p

This AAR is too much fun, Wei Long could also had been named Hugo Largo and the results would be the same. The thing that i find most hilarious is that a foreigner with a foreign name took over Cuba after Huey Long "disappeared" from the US and that the CIA discovered the conspiracy faster than the Cubans.

Subbed!

This AAR is too much fun, Wei Long could also had been named Hugo Largo and the results would be the same. The thing that i find most hilarious is that a foreigner with a foreign name took over Cuba after Huey Long "disappeared" from the US and that the CIA discovered the conspiracy faster than the Cubans.

Subbed!
Welcome and indeed, the Cuban people may have had some trouble in recognizing Long, probably because they can't read newspapers from the 1930s :p

Chapter IV: Dark ‘n Stormy
Chapter IV: Dark ‘n Stormy

(
c7n3lLr.png
)

20th of August – 5th of October 1961

Huey sat together with his military advisors in the presidential palace as the invasion commenced. The general goal was to eliminate any Haitian resistance as quickly as possible, to avoid a possible intervention by the US. If the US were to send a fleet or even simply set a no-fly zone over Haiti, then the invasion would fail. To ensure victory, two separate groups would land on two different spots as quickly as possible. This way, the Cuban forces would most certainly overwhelm the Haitian coastal defenses and two separate forces have a higher chance of running a blockade than one. The Cuban intelligences had informed Long that the two Haitian divisions were protecting Port-au-Prince and Port-de-Paix in the northwest of Hispaniola. The way was open for a Cuban invasion of the south.

8buUZXl.png

In the meanwhile President Kennedy did exactly as Long had suspected, he sent a naval detachment to keep the Cubans from invading Haiti. Without formally declaring war on Cuba, Kennedy hoped to scare off any invaders by using gunboat diplomacy. But Long was persistent and he still sent out the order to the invasion forces. And so on the most unexpected moment, on a dark and stormy evening on the 26th of August, the Cuban forces landed to the south of the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince. They had successfully outmaneuvered the American naval detachment by using a decoy. Boats seized from fishermen had served as camouflage for the marines, while the real landing crafts were simply sent to another part of Haiti to confuse the Americans. The Haitian division which was guarding the capital quickly engaged with one of the Cuban landing forces, soon joined by their comrades from Port-de-Paix. This meant however that the road was open for the other landing party to try and surround the capital. One of the divisions got ordered to do so, while the other was ordered to head for Santo Domingo, the old capital of the Dominican Republic.

UqPZbF3.png

While the Cuban forces had successfully held their ground on the landing grounds, one of the Haitian divisions had headed up north to counter the Cuban encirclement maneuver. On the 31st of August, Cuban forces entered Santo Domingo and were welcomed as liberators. In Port-au-Prince, the Haitians were beginning to feel the pressure of the Cuban forces, as the battle over the capital had begun. In the meanwhile, the American naval blockade continued. It made supplying the Cuban troops in Haiti very difficult, but not impossible. Using knowledge of old smuggling routes and with a little help of Fortuna, supplies still made their way to Haiti.

JIKwbO4.png

The same day Santo Domingo was liberated, Port-au-Prince fell and the Haitians who defended it, fled north. Due to a fast response, the Cubans were able to cut them off from the rest of the country. The territories of the Dominican Republic now lay open for grabbing, while the remainder of the Haitian army was encircled near Port-de-Paix, which now served as the headquarters of the Haitian government. In the meanwhile, the US Congress had voted in favor of material support for the Haitian government, but by this time, it was already too late. Outnumbered and outgunned, they prepared for the final stand. The American democracy had shown it was not capable of intervening quickly enough to stop an invasion with such a speed.

DldcECp.png

To make things worse, Cuba’s army had driven the Haitian forces back to just two states by the 13th of September. The Haitian army had grown with one division, probably due to the American supplies, but that was not enough to prevent their eventual loss to Cuba. By the 27th of September, the last stronghold in Port-de-Paix surrendered and the next day, a peace treaty was signed. The US had lost its ‘legal’ ground for the blockade, as Cuba and Haiti technically weren’t at war anymore and a blockade would now seem as an aggressive stance rather than helping a foreign nation in their defense.

PumqBxo.png

As a result of the war, Cuba had successfully annexed the whole island of Hispaniola. To suppress local unrest among both the Haitians and the Dominicans, the Cuban army was spread out. In just over a month, Cuba had been able to conquer an independent nation, but it was only the beginning of unrest in the Caribbean. Even though Kennedy now moved his naval detachment from the Windward Passage (between Cuba and Hispaniola) to the Bahamas in the north, American presence in the region was still felt.

FF9cZsn.png

Not only from the US, but also from the Caribbean Federation, there was opposition to Cuba’s aggressive expansion. The Federation saw Haiti as one of its closest allies, certainly after the Federation left NATO in the 1950s. As a result, they were more than willing to come to the defense of their Haitian allies. And so on the 5th of October 1961, the Caribbean Federation declared war on Cuba. Huey Long had not expected this, but it could turn out all right for his Cuba, as they were now in a defensive war so to speak, and the US would be less likely to join in on the conflict if it could be seen by Russia as Cuba trying to defend itself. This made Long actually think about opening diplomatic relations with Moscow, who knows what benefits it might bring. It certainly made an American blockade out of the question, as Cuba was now not the aggressor, but the victim of a war. It made some people in the US think about diplomatic solutions to end the unrest in the Caribbean.

soK3Vot.png

----------
That last part was unexpected but nonetheless, it could be useful for further expansion for Cuba.