• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Valdemar

Not working
1 Badges
Dec 4, 2001
Visit site
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
Realm: Savoy
Head of State: Amadeus VI
Player: Valdemar
Religion: Catholic - Avignon
Culture: Italian, French
Stats: 2/0/9/10/2 --> [2/0/9/10/2]
Provinces: 2
Ports: 0
Owned: Savoie(4), Piemonte(2).

Interim court, I am on dialup this weekend but want to start playing, pictures and diverse info will follow

Personae Dramaticae

Amadeus VI (1343-83), called the "Green Count" because of the colour of his ensign at tournaments, was a famous warrior who fought over half of Europe. The family is Prince of the Empire since 1311. In 1366 battled the Turks in Greece in aid of the Byzantine family due to his connections with Montferrat; and made a law that his territories should never be divided and that the succession should be by primogeniture. His last fight has been for the Anjou against the usurper in Naples in which he unfortunately contracted the plaque.

Married to Bonne of Bourbon

Amadeus (VII) his son and heir, nicked “the red” for the blood on his sword, predominantly fighting for the French.

Married to Bonne of Berri daughter of John Duke of Berri

Last edited:
The family domains and claims (again, brief list, I’d be more than happy to hear more detailed info from others.

Primary fiefs, Savoy and Piedmonte:

The oldest possessions of the line of Savoy were the counties of Maurienne (the upper valley of the River Arc), Savoy (the district between Arc, Isère, and the middle course of the Rhone), and also Belley, with Bugey as its chief town. In the eleventh century there was added to this territory the valley of Aosta, the Tarantaise (the upper valley of the Isère), and Chablais (the district on the Rhone between Martigny and Lake Geneva). About 1050 Humbert's son Odo married Adelaide, the oldest daughter and heiress of Count Manfred of Turin, and by this marriage the House of Savoy gained large possessions in Italy, particularly the greater part of Piedmont, while at the same time the possessions east and west of the Alps were joined together. After the death of his mother Adelaide, Humbert II took possession of the Italian inheritance (1091).

Thomas I (1189-1233), grandson of Amadeus, as imperial vicar did much to aid Frederick II, and enlarged his possessions by acquiring Chambéry, Romont, etc. Aymon (1329-43) by marriage gained a claim to Montferrat. Aymon's son Amadeus VI (1343-83), the "Green Count", in 1366 battled the Turks in Greece in aid of the Byzantine family due to his connections with Montferrat; he won Vaud, Gex, and parts of the dioceses of Ivrea and Vercelli, and made a law that his territories should never be divided and that the succession should be by primogeniture.

The Piedmont possessions: At the beginning of the eleventh century Aosta and the territory under its control belonged to Count Humbert I of Savoy. His son Oddo (Otto, d. 1060) married the Marchioness Adelaide of Turin, and in this way became possessed of the Marquessate of Susa, with the towns of Turin and Pinerolo, the foundation of the later Piedmont.

Relations of the County of Savoy:

France:

Provence:
Anjou
Burgundy
xxx
xxx
xxx

The Empire
Bohemia
xxx
xxx
xxx

Italy
Milan
Florence
Naples
Sicily
Genoa
Venice

The East
Hungary
Serbia
Constantinople
The Knights

The West
Castile
Aragon
Navarre
Portugal
Granada

The North
Scandinavia
England/Eire/Scotland

Church:

The Savoy family is devout Catholics, and adhere to the true branch, the Avignon Pope, forsaking the Holy City of Rome and its unruly mob in favour of the true learnings of Christ. One prominent Savoyard is Cardinal under the Avignon Pope.

Several Churches are prominent in the Catholic faith resides within the County of Savoy or Piedmonte. Most notably is The Cistercian Abbey of Hautecombe, founded in 1135, is one of the burial places of the House of Savoy. The relic known as the Holy Winding-Sheet of Christ is kept at Chambéry. The capital of Savoy.

The forces of Savoy.

The Savoyard are renown for their prowess in war, more than six thousand joined the Count in his quest to reinstall the right Emperor in Constantinople. Further they have been prominent members of several crusades, a count dying in Cyprus on the return trip from the Holy City of Jerusalem

Currently the force amount to:

??

The coughing fit raked the man in the bed and forced him awake. He slowly lifted himself up on one elbow and scanned the room. It was empty.

No one. Off course. They are deadly afraid of me or whatever it is that ails me.

He cumbersomely sat up, starting another coughing fit, shaking his broad shoulders. He looked about he room again in the dim light, his eyes watering after the ordeal. Heavy drapes hut out most of the light, but still he knew the room by heart.

Across the room from the lavish bed was his ornate desk, covered in letters and dispatches. Soon brother Matheus would come and take dictation, tying up any lose ends.

Ending my life.

The man in the bed smiled wryly in the half light. Unseen in the darkness on every wall hang tapestries and things from his life. On the left shields and banners of vanquished foes. Select memories from particular battles and past glories. The man knew them intimately. The room had been his study until he had ordered his bed set up here.

He closes his eyes. On the right is the second new addition to the room. He smiles slightly again, a sad smile, he can almost smell it, despite the reek from his own body, the salty strong smell from metal and leather, of blood and sweat, even if he knows it would be spotless. Shiny steel meticulously cleaned and polished, dull rust free grey of thousands of rings, green paint carefully touched up after every use, green as his personal standard. He sighs without opening his eyes, his armour is ready for more glory, he, however is unlikely to ever wear it again.

He coughs again and curses silently,

Damned bastard, damn Charles of Anjou, and his poxy lands of Naples.

The fit abates and he is breathing easier. He had gone to Naples for Lois of Anjou, just another battle for glory, but somewhere along the way he had met his match, a relentless foe, the thing that was killing him now, slowly.

He sighed and grabbed the bowl of cold broil, drinking a little, he could hardly hold it steady, his hands shaking with fewer, how low he had fallen, he who once held his lance unwavering. The bowl rattles and falls to the floor as he tries to set it back on the table. He swears, but without conviction, it will not be long now, he has already informed his son and sent him away, first to his father in law, to ensure his support, then onwards, to France and beyond.

The sick man smiles fondly, already they have given his son a name. They call him “the Red”, in honour of his father whom they once dubbed “the Green”, and with reference to his fights for France against the English, in reference to the blood on his sword.

bohe4ja.png
hung8tb.png

Unto his grace Amadeus VI.​

We, Vaclav IV, hereby invite you to royal wedding between John of Luxembourg duke of Görtz and Mária Angevin Queen of Hungary.

This wedding will take place on 1st Saturday of May in Esztergom basilica. We hope that you will accept our invitation to celebrate this joyous and wonderful occasion of uniting two young people together in holy institution of marriage. Godspeed.

Signed

Vaclav IV, Dei gratia Romanorum imperator semper augustus et Bohemia
Rex.

OOC: thursday, hungarian court.

Amadeus coughed again allowing the court physician to study the bloody phlegm that he coughed up. Catching his breath he waved his hand weakly, dismissing the physician. He couldn’t even sit up anymore, resting comfortably against a pile of pillows.

He nodded to an aid who move closer, but not too close,

“Tell them to leave me, it will do no good anymore, make sure the letters are ready to depart the court the moment I die, and finally, let me know when the Cardinal gets here.”

The aid bowed and retreated leaving the Count with only a single squire, should he need anything.

Curse this plague, I had never thought I would die in bed.

He smiled wryly in self pity,

I hope my son does well, he is need of all the support he can get, and I hope he will be able to call all the markers left by my sudden disappearance.

His breath was laboured now, and it had been days since he last ate. He nodded to the Squire,

“Tell them to ready the couriers, is the Cardinal here yet?”

The squire shook his head, but left to take another look. He returned moments later followed by the honourable Grace, Thomas Cardinal Clausse, protector of S. Sabina. The Cardinals clothes were stained and dust covered, and he had not even wasted time to change. As he moved into the room in haste small clouds of dust rose from his billowing cape. Undoing it with one hand he handed it to the Squire and ordered him to leave. Then he carefully pulled a stool closer to the bed,

“So, my friend, I made it in time, his Holiness sends his regards.”

The count closed his eyes smiling,

“He’d better, he is family, and I have been naught but a staunch support.”

The cardinal frowned lightly, it was slightly blasphemous, but it would likely have to be forgiven.

“Any thing you wish to say or do before it is to late?”

The Count didn’t open his eyes,

“Just make sure that no one interferes with my son’s ascension to my fiefs, and make sure to guide him like you guided me old friend, he will need help and friends, at least until he learns to control his temper.”

The Cardinal nodded,

“I will guide him.”

He took out the tools of his trade, lit a few candles and said a quiet prayer as he donned the stole for his next burden,

“I will hear your confession now, my son.”

The count smiled,

“I doubt I have done anything in this bed that needs absolution, all past sins I have paid dearly for, and most certainly I have confessed them earlier.”

The Cardinal nodded and quietly did the sign of the cross over the Count’s still body, silently whispering Teo Absolvo. He proceeded to set up his small box and vials of holy water and candles, readying himself for the inevitable procession of the last rites.

Slowly he went through the motions with a dedication and concentration he had not felt in many years, tears slowly streaming down his face as he sprinkled his old friend with the Holy water and said the final prayers. Amadeus whispered his way through the participation without once opening his eyes. As the Cardinal touched the burning hot Count for the last time the eyes opened, and for the first time in many days they seemed clear and ready, the fever seemingly gone from them. The Count struggled to sit up, and with a surprisingly firm voice he called out,

“PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.”

With that the Count collapsed on the bed and closed his eyes again, the Cardinal sighed and slowly said a hail Mary,

“AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.”

The Cardinal slowly leaned closer and listened for a breath, but heard none, slowly he made the sign of the cross and gave the last prayer of the dead.

”Réquiem ætérnam dona ei Dómine; et lux perpétua lúceat ei. Requiéscat in pace. Amen. ”

He stood slowly and killed the candles before turning for the table and the letters laying ready there. Softly closing the door behind him he went to find the countess, and the Seneschal to send out the message to the son, and assorted others.

The Green Count had died.

englandseal3zu.png

A letter arrives from Rome

Unto Amadeus, Count of Savoy,Duke of Aosta and the Chablais

Your Grace,
I write to Your Grace from Rome where I am currently situated, serving His Majesty the King as ambassador to the Roman Court, and also the rest of Italy.
I have just heard news of the bad health of the Duke, and we send our best wishes for the healing and pray that his health will not get worse. If events have already gone too far, I send my deepest condolences, and best wishes to the new Duke on behalf of His Majesty the King of England.

I write to Your Grace in hopes that relations between England and Savoy might improve and work as it has done before. As I am sure you know the French have been a problem in our relations before, but I hope that we might now look past the events pf the past, and that we shall be able to work together. The co called King of France has sent letter to His Majesty asking for peace and therefore we are sure the French won’t trouble us, and our relations. Maybe I can convince Your Grace that trade and co-operations between our realms would be good for both?

Once more His majesty King Richard the second of England extends his best wishes to the Duchy of Savoy and its Duke, and we hope that all is well.

I hope to hear from Your Grace soon.

Written in Rome, in the year of Our Lord 1383 A.D

On behalf of His Majesty Richard the second, by the Grace of God King of England and France, Lord of Ireland and Aquitaine , Sovereign of the Order of the Garter

Sir John Hawkwood, commander of the White Company and ambassador to Rome.

Last edited:
Savoy

A man enters the court. He walks forward to the Duke, bows deep and hands the Duke a letter:

englandseal3zu.png

A letter arrives from Rome

Unto Amadeus, Count of Savoy,Duke of Aosta and the Chablais

Your Grace,
I am glad to receive your reply, and I am glad that Your grace are so friendly and willing to work for peace.
Although I am aware off the there are differences about the Popes and who is the correct one, I hope that we might put the religion away and look to more earthly things, like you say trade.
As I am sure you know Rome is very central, and since I have had some differences with some of the Lords in Northern-Italy it was though better to place the English envoy to Rome and Italy in Rome.

I shall despatch one of my lieutenants to Your Grace with this letter, and matters can be discussed with him as should he have been me. I am sure Your Grace will receive Edmund Peche with every honour suitable for an envoy of the King of England!

Written in Rome, in the year of Our Lord 1383 A.D

On behalf of His Majesty Richard the second, by the Grace of God King of England and France, Lord of Ireland and Aquitaine , Sovereign of the Order of the Garter

Sir John Hawkwood, commander of the White Company and ambassador to Rome.

After the Duke finishes reading the letter the young man bows once more and smiles.

“Your Grace,
I am Lieutenant Edmund Peche, and I have been sent by my master Sir John Hawkwood to your court to discuss trade and co-operation between England and Savoy in the names of His Majesty Richard II King of England through His Majesty’s envoy to Italy Sir John Hawkwood.

I hope I am accepted here in Savoy as envoy?”

bohe4ja.png

With the Emperor departing for the hunting grounds of Krivoklat as well as most of the court, the skeleton staff is headed by the young nobleman called Bishop Amalius Podoli. Or in Bohemian known as Vladislav z Podoli. He goes by his Latin name nonetheless, as he is a church figure. Young and full of ambition he nonetheless doesn’t have the full reign of the Empire and Kingdom. His role, as given to him by the Emperor, is merely to make sure that all is well when his majesty returns.

bishop.gif

itting in his chambers, he writes missives to the assembled court officials from abroad.

To the Savoyans:

Noble Highness of Galia Narbonensis,

With great sadness the crown of the Holy Roman Emperor, Bohemia and Luxemburg learns of the tragic events in Galia Narbonensis. Yet unknown to man are the many ways of the Lord. Let us pray for the soul of the deceased and the wellbeing of the living.

The empire supports its vassals. His Imperial majesty has only briefly covered the Savoyan issue before his departure. Would you be willing to refresh our memory.

Bishop Amalius Podoli

“Let the Lord be generous on the steps I’ve taken for His Glory and His Imperial magistrate, the Holy Roman Emperor.”