• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amidst the Copse of Trees

"I do not Your Grace speak of any particular event or catalyst," answered Marjanovic in a thin and aged tone, "I only speak of what history has taught us. The Roman is not to be trusted, much less with a Papist at the lead. He will try and regain his Empire and he considers Serbia part of that Empire, not to mention the entirety of the lands your Sultan call his own. True, the Turk has proved strong, strong enough to subdue the Romans for now, but it is not the first time that Rome has fallen weak, nor would it be the first time she's risen again."

Even Timoslavic saw the logic in this, and his mood was changing though he remained silent and Marko continued, "Nay Your Grace, nothing which I am saying here is in any danger amidst these trees. I simply have come with Lazar's offer in Serb arms if the Romans are to be dealt with in a more conclusive fashion. Your Grace shall see that it is in our interest if this is done, and even better if the Turk holds no design toward us and shall prove less intrusive to the Christians in his dominion than a meddling Papist. Finally, in return for our aid, we would expect compensation. For the territories of the Romans, they're place as a reliable tributary would be most valuable to the Sultan, yes? Lazar would seek the return of our territories in Macedonia and Albania. For if such an agreement was made, both our realms would benefit and no longer should we have grievances with one another. If it is truly such a relationship Your Grace seeks with Serbia, this is the best path I see before us. Perhaps in the future further cooperation would then be possible."

Beylerbey Lalasahin Pasha considered Marjanovic's words for a long moment before nodding his head and speaking through his interpreter once more.

"Your words are eminently reasonable, and have inspired me to keep a closer eye on the Greeks. You are correct in perhaps they have been ignored too long. If it is proved true, and that they are selling themselves to the Papacy in return for attempted domination of their own lands under a different, spiritual yoke, then it shall go poorly for them.

"For Sultan Murad's own father, Sultan Orhan gave his own protection to those of the Orthodox faith when they suffered terrible persecution from the Papists in the Roman court.

"If there must be intervention, and in that time of need, Serbia should come to our aid in insuring it is swift and decisive rather then drawn out and needlessly bloody, the Serbian Autocrat may consider the return of strategic towns and fortresses in Albania and Macedonia his due reward. For we know that long before the Ghazi came, both your people had conflicting claims to this area. Now that we are here, should one prove treacherous and hostile such as the Greeks (If they truly are seeking to yoke themselves to Rome) and the other a stalwart companion such as the Sultan wishes Serbia to be, then we will assuredly favor the latter.

"Until then, here are my initial thoughts regarding these terms. Each shall pledge to harber no designs upon the other's misfortune. Either alone, or with company. Furthermore, the Sultan has given permission for the Serbians to state any neighbour of their's whom they have obligations to. Thus, if the Sultan himself should come into contact with one of these neighbours, he will also endeavor to keep the Serbians informed and seek their advice, so as to not strain our own friendship.

Lalasahin then fell silent, giving the Serbian nobleman a chance to respond with agreement or counter-offer, or to specify.

Amidst the Copse of Trees

Marjanovic was quite pleased with how the entire affair was unfolding and shifted in his saddle before replying, "It is not in my power, or is it my desire, to accept or confirm anything as now. I have only been sent to open up communication shall we say, and give the ideas of my Lord. That these ideas have been received thus far so well, is still a matter of significant importance and value. Not to mention the stated stance of the Sultan toward the realms to his west." The man's aging voice wavered a bit, and coughing to regain his composure he continued, "Indeed I would suggest that Your Grace, or the Sultan himself provide me with the desires of the Ottomans in writing. Something which I may return with to Serbia and present to Stefan Prince."

Meeting with the Beylerbey

The Beylerbey then commenced to outline his ideas for a proposed treaty, including an alliance of defense with Serbia yet not forcing through oath to have Serbs come to the defense of the Turk, of resisting Papist aggression in the region, and possible concessions in Greece in the case of a fortuitous war against the decadent Romans. When all had been noted, and formal farewells spoken, the two Serbs were led away from the private estate. Soon once more they were on the road, returning toward Skopje. Marjanovic and Timoslavic both spoke little aloud of their experience save to comment upon the comforts and points of interest enjoyed in Edrine. Each though was thinking in his own conception of the admittedly generous offer that had been made to them. It was true neither felt entirely comfortable with what had happened, but was this just an inborn bias of experience?

A similar anonymous package, wrapped with silk, is sent to the court of the Ottoman Sultan.

When it is unwrapped at court, the head of a wolf, with a turban wrapped around his head and dried blood all over it, is uncovered. The Arabic lettering embroidered on the silk reads, "What can be done to a dog can easily also be done to a wolf."

A letter arrives from Samarkand at Edirne. It bears the seal of Timur Shah...

timur1rt.png

Unto Sultan Murad I of the Osmanli, Successor of the Seljuks of Rum, Master of Europe and Asia Minor

Unto the Great Ghazi prince of the West,

The Great Amir is most happy to hear from your Majesty again, but he is concerned by your words. While you have already heard of our plans for war in the East, we hear little of western matters. What can a few tin-pot troublemakers in Constantinople and Grecia do you, a ghazi second only to Timur Shah? Our army readies itself because the threats to our trade and security in the eastern marches as grown as of late, according to the reports of our spies. Yet, Timur has heard you and remembers the treaty that he signed and vowed to keep before your Majesty's own son.

Thus, if you require it, the eastern campaign shall be delayed and 3 tumen (30,000 troops) shall be dispatched to your aid under the command of the Great Amir himself. Let none ever say that Timur did not keep his word before God and man.

May a thousand blessing dwell on the Osmanli and a thousand cursings upon her enemies,

Cheku Barlas,
High Constable of the Realms of Timur Shah, Great Amir of the Ulus Chagatai, Amir of Samarkand, Jatah, Khorezm, and Bactria, Conqueror of Herat, Khorasan, Heir to the Khans of Persia, etc

A letter arrived from Hungary

crest.gif

Onto Murad Hudenvendigar,

It was with surprise that we received your letter. If a promise of protection can so easily be withdrawn, how much are other promises and offers worth we wonder?

As far as an attack on Bulgaria is concerned, there are still nobles in Bulgaria that owes allegiance to the crown of Hungary. While in truth these nobles only represent one fifth of the entire realm known as Bulgaria we are fully prepared to ride in their defense if needed. It is assumed that the vlach is not foolish enough to try to stop us from doing this duty no matter what their relations are with us.

We freely admit that a greek envoy has arrived at our court, even though as of yet no agreements have been signed with them.

Erzsébet Angevin
Dowager Queen and Regent of Hungary

Sandalj.jpg

Sandalj Matkovic, a blonde nobleman, arrived on the streets of Edirne, capital of the Sultan. He sniffed the air and admired the proud city and the beautiful mosque, before heading towards the place where he was supposed to meet -

"About bloody time too, you took more than a year to get here."

Ah, no need, he had been found already. Sandalj turned around and smiled apologetically
"I am ever so sorry Stojnik Dmitar, you know how the Djed is. He was furious when he found I sent you away. Then there was the hardships of finding a valid enough excuse to leave... you know how it is." and he tried a nervous laugh to enforce his statement.
"No, I don't know how it is." Dmitar deadpanned, and a pregnant silence followed. Dmitar himself broke it by laughing bolsterously. Sandalj joined uneasily. Dmitar had changed, he was more open here, unguarded.
"It was a long time, but you are forgiven. You see, these Turks here have a high civilisation, one the catholics could break their teeth on. Their laws are just and their people friendly. I have been treated with nothing but respect even though I am an outcast in any other nation... your long absence has given me the time to enjoy this land without your frown following me all the time." Dmitar smiled, and Sandalj did just that, frown.

Sandalj was not too sure whether religious men were supposed to act like this. He ignored the not-quite-so veiled barb, not quite sure how to deal with it and continued talking business.
"So, you have made contact with Sultan? I hope you did not make any real diplomatic gestures yet?" Dmitar did not drop his broad smile, and it unnerved Sandalj. This man, a Krstjan even, had the gall to be so shamefully happy at doing nothing? How Sandalj hated simpletons like that. However, his outward appearance remained friendly and open.
"Oh, of course I didn't contact the sultan. Everything I had to do for king Tvrtko went through proxies. Seems he's not too interested in our little country, the sultan - rightly so if you take a look around at what he has here." Now, Sandalj smiled honestly, once more ignoring the additional information the Stojnik was giving. The shameless adoration Dmitar Vidinska had for these Turks sickened him, as all shameless adoration did. However this inaction was a good thing.
"Does that mean that I can start with a clean slate here? Good... you'd do well to lead me to the Sultan's palace then, so we can discuss matters at length." Dmitar shrugged and led him through the city, pointing out important buildings along the way. Even Sandalj was more than a little impressed.

When the two finally arrived at the Sultan's palace, Sandalj sent Dmitar off. Dmitar was a necessary evil, if his presence here were to remain unsuspect. He could come here several times a year because of a small trading company he had set up. That it was not really existent shouldn't bother anyone, it was a nice excuse to visit the Turkish lands without being bothered by the kings spies, especially that horrible Franciscan monk Grgur.

Smiling, he entered the palace garden and adressed a guard.
"Greetings, I bear tidings from Bosnia as ambassador of that realm, I would speak with the sultan if he'd allow it. I'm sure I could make it worth his time."

OOC note: For the backstory of this refer to my court thread and the 3 stanak 1382 posts, they explain what sort of intrigue can be done with this little character if you play your cards right :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.