• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Having read through this entire thread I find myself agreeing to 90 % of what is being said. I have not purchased any content since the release of Megacorp specifically because of the ongoing issues which remain in the game.. For someone who had bought every expansion up until that point that should trigger all sorts of alarm bells in Stockholm. And it seems the more people that boycott their products, the more half-finished products are released to make up the revenue. Just saying, this business model Pdox has come up with is UNSUSTAINABLE.

Screw new content, fix what you have that is currently broken !

• 2Like
Reactions:
Casus Belli is an okay system, but needs more love and special actions around it (e.g. Planetfall Imperial Mandate Operation"You can now declare war without any Casus Belli with full support from your population") and so on.

Colossus already does that. But I largely agree with your original post.

Reactions:
6) Influence & New Edicts

Cool new edicts. I wish I had Influence to use them.

So much weight is put on influence it is not even fun anymore:
- Build an Outpost? Influence
- Elections? Influence
- Make a Non-aggression/Research/Commercial pact? Influence
- Build any Habitat, Megastructure, including simple Gates (like metro)? Influence, buddy
- Make Claims to go to war? Influence of course
- Need to do a planet decision like Ecumenopolis or even "Stop making robots"? (lol why this is costing me anything, it's a basic game mechanic to reduce micro)? Need influence bro
Anything I have missed? Ah right, every fart in the Galactic Community like veto and proposing new stuff also costs Influence.

Back in a day I was at least able to enable Map the Stars edict, while it was still relevant, and there was something to explore.
Now, I just stare at it 40 years in,. when there are literally no systems to survey.
160 Influence for Map the Stars??? Seriously? That's 3 systems worth.
200 Influence to affect elections? That's absurd amount, when I get +4 per month... I can build a ringworld with that.

Anyway - guys just get someone sit down, play the actual game and figure out the real new Influence pricing. Influence is being taxed ways too heavy with too much put on it, and is a very tight hole to enjoy content through (like new Edicts, for example)

Right now, I consider the entire Edict update to be useless, simply because
- Only 1 edict per time without penalties, without any ability to get more
- Edict gains are simply not worth the Influence costs
- In current meta Influence is more precious than Living Metal and spending it on shit edicts is just a no-no
I wholeheartedly wish influence was rebalanced heavily. I completely abandoned using many of the game's features on the basis of them costing influence. Something went seriously wrong when the influence costs for stuff like influencing elections was decided. I would even say that it may be time to split influence into two resources - influence and political power or whatever, where the latter would be used for internal-politics stuff like factions, elections and edicts.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Something went seriously wrong when the influence costs for stuff like influencing elections was decided.

Election Influence cost is unchanged since release.
However back then there were no megastructures, habitats, GC, planet decisions, branch offices and such. A single space station claimed multiple systems and edicts were all toggles which cost monsthly influence. But there simply was much less to spend influence on and the opportunity cost was lesser too, so the costs weren't as prohibitive as they are now.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Election Influence cost is unchanged since release.
However back then there were no megastructures, habitats, GC, planet decisions, branch offices and such. A single space station claimed multiple systems and edicts were all toggles which cost monsthly influence. But there simply was much less to spend influence on and the opportunity cost was lesser too, so the costs weren't as prohibitive as they are now.

Now I remember when even colonizing cost influence as well :)
And yes, the influence pricing and the ways to spend definitely need to have a fresh look.
Leaving old Influence tables with all new content requiring it is just too much.

I really feel like influence costs should be slashed across the board, possibly by half. Base 45 for outposts, base 75 for habitats, base 50-150 for edicts, and base 150-200 for megastructures. The current pricing is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In regards to the influence costs: In addition to additional sinks the game also got faster. There was a time when 350-375 was a decent late game time, now it's more 300-310. Therefore less time to collect influence.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope Paradox takes heed. OP's post sums it up in a very honest way. I remember my first hours in Stellaris, the scrolling side panel as the main user interface seemed like a bad joke to me. I wonder if the devs actually even play the game.

Having that said, I hope the UI gets a revamp, because I like the game as a whole.

Reactions:
I wonder if the devs actually even play the game.
I keep wondering this myself, because I can't believe if someone who plays Stellaris "wide" and have a bunch of planets (+20) can sincerely say that the game is not a micro-hell.
Now after the performance is improved, the dev team should definitely try to improve the UI and planet management because it's a nightmare.
P.S. Also buff purging, why the hell it's still so slow ?!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Just want to point out again, especially to any devs who might read this, that the first 80 years or so of playing Stellaris are pretty amazing, a good time with very fun empire building.

What we want is for this great gaming experience to continue into the mid/late game, and not drown in the micromanagement nightmare that it becomes now.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Fully agree. Lategame pop microamangement is a chore.

We have been saying this for months. Then Paradox added The Greater good resolution - the solution of all pop management problems...

... and then they decided to lock it behind a resolution AND behind the galactic community. Instead, this feature must be available to everyone! Taking up 1 edict capacity is already a very high cost in the current patch. Just unlock this feature for every empire PLEASE!

Try Automatic pop migration and Tiny outliner mods, it helps me a lot in micro my big empire

Agreed, Tiny outliner is a must.

In my opinion the planet management/automation needs a huge overhaul. Yes we have automation. And we all know its AWFUL and HARMFUL to our economy.

A better solution would be to simply allow us to queue up buildings and upgrades, let us pre-plan our planets and be done with it for good.

Lets be realistic. No Paradox Ai will ever manage our planets properly. Up until this point, the regular AI is still worse than what Starnet AI offers. I would rather have Starnet AI manage my planets instead of Paradox automation, that would already be an improvement. This could simply be fixed if we had the ability to pre-plan our planets like we could in the old tile-system. Imagine a world where managing an empire with 100 planets is fun! Currently, the greater your empire becomes, the less fun the game becomes because of tedious planet management...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The whole Notification design is utterly baffling. It's not even really because it's a bad design. It's because it's so obviously a bad design. Anyone who plays the game for an hour can see how terrible and spammy it is. Can you imagine if your phone threw up even 1/10th of the notifications at you that Stellaris does? It would drive you nuts.

Dear Paradox devs, please google Alarm Fatigue.

I'm thankful there are mods out there that silence the lion share of near useless notifications, because it's truly awful.
I'm thinking that Paradox intends this game to be played on normal speed after 2350 or so.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You expect stellaris to be epic grand strategy 4x for you to enjoy unfolding space opera stories.
But in reality stellaris is badly done starcraft IN SPACE for people who suck at actual starcraft.
You often see them defending micromanagement and resulting apm as what makes competitive multiplayer gameplay interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You expect stellaris to be epic grand strategy 4x for you to enjoy unfolding space opera stories.
But in reality stellaris is badly done starcraft IN SPACE for people who suck at actual starcraft.
You often see them defending micromanagement and resulting apm as what makes competitive multiplayer gameplay interesting.
When I see people argue against removing mindless busywork in the game, it makes me want to pull my hair out. This game actually has quite a few things to do if you weren't constantly pre-occupied queuing up yet another building on yet another world.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Remember when Stellaris added the fleet manager? Now that was a quality of life improvement.

If they don't want to remove the armies, an army manager would be a great fix. You could just choose that you want an army of 20 assault troops and 3 titanic beats and then reinforce it from the nearest planets after it loses troops.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Remember: Wiz set out to achieve less micromanagement for the player with the megacorp update. T
The same update that got rid of

- the planet tile system and introduced the new system: no queues for building orders since you have to wait until you get enough pops
- no hard cap for how many pops can live on a planet while failing to introduce an automated resettlement feature
- different jobs with different weights, once again lacking a good feature to plan ahead
- building upgrades locked behind the core building tier, which further hinders the possibility to set up a building plan

Mind you everything in the name of reducing micromanagement. It's safe to say that he failed extraordinarily.

And while I am at it: I don't understand AT ALL why they locked the auto-resettlement feature behind a galactic community policy which requires you to:

- spend quite some time doing galactic politics
- require you to play a certain playstyle (I think it's an egalitarian policy, which also has effects on diplomatic weight you might not desire)
- require you to join the galactic community, byebye purifiers and other empires that do not wish to either join or stay in the galactic community.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I think part of the problem is that they legitimately see a lot of the micro chores as the core gameplay.

There's no reason why auto-explore shouldn't exist from the beginning of the game, nor is there any reason why constructors shouldn't have some sort of auto-build button. But if you take out routinely clicking "Survey System" and "Build Mine," you've eliminated 90% of what a player does in the early game.

Similarly, there's no reason why players shouldn't be able to auto-queue building or set templates for planets to follow, nor do most of the new economy features add much beyond zero-sum counters. But if you take out moving pops around within jobs and waiting for a building slot to open up, you've eliminated most of the middle game beyond warfare.

• 6Like
Reactions: