• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bouchard

Corporal
24 Badges
May 29, 2020
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
I would like to know what plans the devs have for the future of Planetfall?

Specifically if there are any more expansions or gameplay additions being considered.

Reactions:
They are working on a new AOW4 game.
While I would absolutely love a new AoW, I feel Planetfall still has huge potential to grow.

If no more content is currently planned, I at least think an in-depth tutorial series on modding Planetfall would open it up to contributions from the community. There are some very interesting ideas out there waiting to be implemented.

I doubt there will be any new content. For some reason the 'market' considered this game too weird.
People that play Sci-Fi TBS games didn't like that they were only playing on one planet at a time. Not sure if they liked the combat.
People that play Sci-Fi RTS games didn't like that it was turn based and had 4X elements.

True. In most games, when dev already released mods support, most likely they won't do any more official support, except very minor ones like maintaining multiplayer official servers, or very minor bug fixes, it apply to most games out there.

It is also sadly true that the market for PF is not really good, not really bad either though, it's on a "decent" category, globally i mean.

But the current global consensus among strategy gamers, if it's sci fi, especially 4x, the majority prefer more games involving space (there are so many of these that we lost count), instead of just terrestrial or planet bound one like planetfall, or civ beyond earth, even this one can't ride the popularity of its original cousin, i mean the ordinary civ series.

Oddly, the rts sci fi fans preference is a bit balanced between those who prefer games that involves space there are many examples of these, one of the currently most popular is of course stellaris or just terrestrial one like starcraft and WH40k

But for planetfall, there is probably uncertain amount of hope, i mean if triumph stays very silent for a very long time, they usually prepares some big surprise, but i'm not sure this time. I mean the surprise can be huge features for planetfall or they are working on new games already, personally i believe it's the latter, but you can hope it's the former.

Reactions:
I'm hoping for at least one more big dinosaur named update to squash some bugs and refine/transform some features

....and of course another secret tech would be dream come true!

I doubt there will be any new content. For some reason the 'market' considered this game too weird.
People that play Sci-Fi TBS games didn't like that they were only playing on one planet at a time. Not sure if they liked the combat.
People that play Sci-Fi RTS games didn't like that it was turn based and had 4X elements.
No, its the market that is weird. That's my take on it :p I honestly don't expect people to step out of their preferred comfort zone to play something new.

RTS preferred players is going to always hate on anything turn based. Its a complete of waste of time and money to try attract biased players. At best, some of them will be brave enough to step out of their comfort zone and then decide if they like it or not.

As well as for the SCIFI TBS players.... 99% of the games out there use space and spaceships with planets as secondary afterthought and their interaction is very limited.

Reason: Logically, its easier to shoot into a gravity well than it is to shoot out of it. A planetary defence forces is in extremely awkward position its better to fold immediately and accept your new overlords. Unless the enemy is so horrible that death by planetary bombardment and getting genocided out of existence is a preferable alternative to being eaten alive, etc. Because if you guys sit down and think about it, just how well protected is Earth should there be even like ten space warships sitting in orbit shooting at your cities for target practice :p Gunners that miss a city sized target is getting put on janitor duty cleaning the lavatories for a week. With a toothbrush.

Enemies that doesn't leverage their advantage granted simply by their position to the planet is a strange breed. They're deliberately killing their enemies the hard way by landing and sending land forces to slay enemies up close and personal. Hmm, i can see slavers doing it. As close as their guns allow that is. Even then, that means the enemy land forces will have their spaceships providing supporting fire and if they feel like they can risk it and is certain that planet defense forces don't have enough ship killer missiles that penetrates the shields and destroys the space warship.

Then we switch to city sized shields? That just gives enemy ships a obvious target to bombard. Then the scale is now is the shields strong enough to withstand the bombardment for long time for reinforcements to arrive or fails long before reinforcements can arrive.

I can see ships invasion forces vs planet forces combat happening. But it's highly dependent on circumstances. Seems to falls upon technological level advancements and willingness of planet's owner to establish defenses.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It was pretty similar situation with Surviving Mars. Side developer, 2-3 DLCs - totally dead finished :D game after that. However a small hope still lingers. It will be Paradox Insider 2021 on 13th of March. If we won't hear something then AoW PF is finished.

Usually if triumph is being silent for months, they usually (if not always) preparing surprises.

The only question is, what kind of surprise this time, surprises related to planetfall or surprises about new game. The new game can be anything, it was never confirmed that it is AoW4, at least there is no proof so far.

So we have at least that near date to look forward to.

On the popularity of the game or genre, I honestly cannot add anything. It seems to me like Planetfall and the AoW series are a great combination of strategy and tactics, and that that should have its fair audience, but that is obviously very subjective.

I think they work on something becouse there is job opening in Thriumph for developers, but I don't think it's Planetfall.
My worst assumption is that is some new game like Ovelord, and in best case AoW4. But I think Planetfall is dead for sure...

I don't like the term "dead". The development cycle just finished and we have a robust 4X game with rich mechanics and diverse races. In my opinion not all games need to be developed for extended time.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Honestly to say... PF's lacking of sth. I can't explain it clearly, but the "Feelings" when playing PF are not the same compare to older AoW.
When were playing AoW3, I finished the Main Campain not less than 3 times with every Consequense possible for each Choice... and more than that for older goodies.
Sadly, I dont feel it the same way with PF. It doesnt mean the game bad, in fact I have almost 1k h playing PF, but never I finish any Campain for the 2nd time. Neither I complain about the Lore. They'r amazing, fantastic and the Idea of "Galatic Fantasy" indeed stucked me with the urge of having PF. And the Gameplay with many new idea to test on my Units also is one of the reason that keep me playing for hours. PF is the first ver. AoW that I spend so many times for deep understanding (for combining various mods, technique, spells and strategy).

But again, with all things I mentioned, that feeling of "Missing something" still hanging there, that I can't get rid of.

Reactions:
IMO it is also possible the job hiring is for another Sci fi AoW, in planetfall universe. Remember back then triump do a poll, asking if we are to rename AoW PF, what would it be. Another thing worth mentioning is back then in the old AoW3 forum, they also have said (more like hinted if my memory is right) that PF is just an experiment.

My wild guess is triumph is probably planning to make another scifi AoW, but this time it involves space explorations and battles, instead of just only planetbound conquests like PF.

Other possibility is they are making RPG or other games not in strategy genre but in AoW universe (be it the original or PF)