• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shadow Reaper

First Lieutenant
5 Badges
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Well, this is an AAR of my first 'proper' game in Viccy. We'll have to see how this goes, because i'm still not sure of how the game completely works. I'm guessing this will be more of a comedy AAR than anything. Comedy in the sense that i'm very likely to screw up, lol.

Anyway, as i'm still not certain about Viccy, the settings are easy and coward. Mock me if you will, but i'm not gonna go for anything harder. Its the grand campaign on version 1.03 (or whatever the latest patch is)

So, why go for the Netherlands? I know its not the easiest country to play. Although she has a slightly larger empire than other countries (indonesia being the main colony, and the Dutch East Indies) from her old days of colonising, she's stuck between the future state of Germany, and France. Neither current Prussia, France, nor the UK particularly like me. However, Spain do (possibly from the old Spanish Netherland days) although I doubt i'm likely to find a strong ally in Spain who, like me, have gone past their major colonising and imperialistic days.
As well as this, the Netherlands starts at war with Belgium over its independence (I believe) and I think I can take a large chunk of Belgium and use its early industrial power adding it to my own. Oh, as well as this, something a bit more sentimental, my surname is Holland, and as that means 'Dutch Settler' I thought it would be appropriate to settle as much as I possibly can with the Netherlands ;)

Anyway, enough of that. I'll start the AAR as soon as I get my webspace working so I can upload some pics.

@Stroph1: Cheers man. I wasn't gonna get fussed over being mocked, though friendly advice would be appreciatable if anything apparent goes wrong, lol.

Anyway, the start of the AAR:

Netherlands, 1st January, 1936 - Adolf Hitler has control of Germany, he....
Ooops, too much HOI... :cool:

------------------
Netherlands, 1st January, 1836 (thats better)

Holland is a reasonably large country. Obviously it looks silly, with the small provinces of Eastern Belgium trailing down to Luxembourg. Luckily, the Netherlands isn't full of farmers, which will hopefully allow industry to grow. However, the Netherlands is at the moment at war with Belgium. If we conquered it, it might stop our precious United Province looking silly with its tail.
HOLstart.jpg

At the start of the war, focus was put on the enlargement of the army. The mobilization, currently at one division, was increased to 6. The divisions were then mobilized, and the Dutch Army expected there arrival on the 1st April. From then on, the inadequate army of three infantry division and one cavalry division would have to do. The primary role of these forces would be to secure the current border (Shown in the plan underneath). This would be known as Phase 1 (January 1st - February 13th). However, due to this defensive stage, Arlon, Liege and Luxembourg would have to be sacrificied for the time being.
HOLvsBELplan.jpg

Phase 2 (February 13th - May 26th) comprised of the removal of Belgiums great naval forces (although only 3 clippers comprised this 'great' navy; this was used as propaganda) through liberating Brugge with three of the newly raised Reserve Divisions. The other three reserve division would push into Antwerpen whilst the Cavalry Division and two frontline infantry divisions would push into Gent. Using basic military tactics, the Dutch Army's right-wing would be its strongest and surround Brussels. The left flank would be held by one division in Maastricht, ready to move out if any provinces nearby were threatened.

Phase 3 (May 26th - August 12th) saw the destruction of the Belgian Navy (not that it would need it after peace anyway) and a huge push into the South of the Belgian homeland through the powerful right wing of the Dutch army. Beligum had mobilized by this time, though it was too late. The province of Gent did rebel once, and a division from the weaker left flank had to move in and crush it (only took 2 days with 8000 Dutch soldiers against 300 Belgian peasants. All were annihilated, although we didn't tell anyone about it.) The final victory was on July 30th in Tournai, where the whole of the Belgian army minus 1 division was pushed into Charleroi and Armur.

On 12th August 1836, peace was signed between the Netherlands and Belgium. The British proposed London pact, recognising Belgian independence was not needed (OT-the event never fired, so what are the triggers?). Instead, Belgium suffered a humiliating defeat.
HOLpeace26aug1836.jpg

Brugge, Gent, Antwerpen and Hasselt were annexed into the Netherlands, with Liege, Arlon and Luxembourg returning to Dutch control. The Belgian could have possibly been more humiliating, though no further action was taken. From her conflict with Belgium, the Netherlands increased her prestige to 98 points, higher than any country, even than the UK. The Netherlands had been catipulted from the 12th greatest nation, to the 6th greatest, and achieving a status as a Global Power. Beligian prestige had fallen to -78, and were now the 14th 'greatest' nation. To celebrate the peace, the successful Dutch Navy was brought into Rotterdamn harbour to celebrate.

After the war with Belgium, more focus could be put on the running of the country:
HOLAug1836.jpg

With the new influx of Flemish people and Belgian industry, more attention could be put on its intagration with the Dutch resources.
It was obvious the Netherlands needed to improve its infrastructure (only one rail track existed, and that was taken from the Belgians in Antwerpen and Hasselt. This would require new technology, through either research or its attainment through diplomacy with another nation. A swap with France was considered, the state of Luxembourg was mainly French, and had a small timber and iron industry. Would it be better suited if it was bartered off to France in exchange for new technology? Franco-Dutch relations were at an all time low, due to the Dutch victory over Belgium, and this might hamper the deal.
HOLdiploAug1836.jpg

For now however, the Netherlands would look to expand her industrial power at home, and focus of its improvement. Away from home, the colony of Dutch Guyana could be granted statehood. While this would allow factories and infrastructure to be built (oh yes... we haven't got any :rolleyes: ;)) it would mean crime could rise as well as spending on upkeep of the people.

HOLdutchguyana1836.jpg

------------------
Netherlands, 16th August, 1836
As you can see, money isn't 'Hollands' (in every sense) strong point:
HOLbudgetAug1836.jpg

So, the Belgian war had been costly (although ignorance from the government over industry was possibly the main reason). Could Holland rise up from its misfortunes and actually get a profit? With ridiculous taxes, more than likely, though I doubt the people would be too pleased with Her Majesty if we did that... Perhaps military spending could be lowered, but what if Belgium takes back what used to be theres?

Last edited:
Netherlands, 17th August, 1836

The Dutch economy has been saved, only a day after its fall looked certain:

HOLbudgetafterwar.jpg

However, this has come at a price. Taxes have been raised, although only 'slightly'. This was used by the government as funds to 'reconstruct the destruction reaked by Belgian forces in Southern Holland and the annexed Belgian lands'.

As well as this, army and navy spending had to be reduced. The 6 reserve divisions were demobilized, and only 1 division was left on standby, with the other returning to more important civic duties. Unfortunately, the Dutch Navy also had to be reduced. The Man-o-War 'Vervachting' and the Frigates 'Hendracht', 'Pallas' and 'Iriene' were disbanded and there hulls scuttled to the ocean floor so no other greedy countries to take them for their own.

The eyes of the government now moves on to industry, and how it can be improved. Can a agreement be made with France over the buying of railways?

Railroad, my kingdom for a railroad...

Netherlands, 8th September, 1836

The government finally got round to remembering that we aren't going to get any railroads if we don't research them. Funnily enough, everyone in the government knows what one is, but can't explain how they work. This means that boffins at libraries and universities will have to work hard and build a steam engine:
HOLresearchSept36.jpg

However, this will take a year. And Her Majesty is not a patient lady at all. So, the government had decided to approach France in concluding a deal. This would involved the swapping or Arlon and Luxembourg, in South Holland, plus the moderately sized tobacco colony of Curacao in the Dutch East Indies (carribean) for three applications already discovered by the 'brilliant' French Inventors (though they themselves probably bought it). However, there may be one problem with this:

HOL-FRA-melunagreement.jpg

Melun, France, 9th September, 1836

76% isn't that good a success percentage. The Dutch government would be more satisfied with a 90% chance of success. However, railroads are really needed now to improve the industry. So the 'Melun agreement' of September 1836, named after the town where the negotations took place, will need to be lulled over by the Dutch government before any action can be taken.

Last edited:
umm...some advice. That is NOT a good idea. You lose research points for tech trading. This means that trading for tech is pointless unless you need techs NOW, which you don't, or someone offers you tech, which means you don't lose research points.

@calcsam: Ok, thanks for the pointer. Then I keep the provinces and use them as grounds for hunting the French diplomatic mission.

Am I correct in saying that for a factory to work well, you really need 1 clerk to every 4 craftsmen?

Last edited:
Sumbaya, Indonesia, 23rd October, 1836

The Dutch Empire was graced with the discovery of Precious Metals in its colony Sumbaya. This will hopefully attract more people to the province and increase its output.
HOL-gold-Oct23.jpg

In other fields of industry, plans are being drawn up for a new steel factory in the primarily Belgian state of Vaandern. All the designs and resources are ready, however money is of another matter. It may be a few months before the workers can be paid, and construction begins.

-------------------
Netherlands, 1st January, 1836

The government publishes its annual demographical report at the beginning of every year:
HOLpopjan11837.jpg

Changes from last year indicate that there is a higher percentage of craftsmen, trained in preparation for the new steel factory.

-------------------
Netherlands, 13th February, 1836

Finally £5000 was raised in funds, and was immediately poured into the steel mill. Although the construction will take a year, when it arrives we will no longer have to rely on foreign steel. Over this time, money will be spent on railways and possibly relieving the loans that were taken during the Dutch-Belgian war.

-------------------
Dutch Guyana 2nd March, 1836

Today the colony of Dutch Guyana was given statehood. This was due to 48% of its population being Dutch, and has allowed new initatives to be planned in the country. One plan is for a Luxury furniture factory in the south, to take advantage of the tropical wood resources there. However, crime has been on the rise, and it appears a Mafia group has arrisen attempting to make illegal profit out of the industry there by selling fancy wood to 'the Godfather'.

Last edited:
Netherlands, 11th April, 1837

The Flemish people of Gent rise up against the Dutch army. Luckily, the 3rd Infantry Division was posted in the province, and were able to deal with the situation. However, the Cavalry Division was sent from Amsterdam to give support. Although the battle was easy, it took until 14th May for the last of the rebels to be crushed.

----------------------
Netherlands, 13th February, 1838

After an extremely quiet year, the steel factory in Vlaandern was constructed. The factory was immediately filled up by the unemployed craftsmen and clerks in Vlaandern. As well as this, plans were immediately made to expand the factory to allow more workers in.
The construction couldn't have come at a better time. The Dutch economy was again starting to suffer. Many goods that were made outside of the Empire started to become more costly or harder to procure. This caused profits to drop to -£126, and the Netherlands soon found itself taking out another loan. For a Global Power, this is not good. However, the Dutch profits went back into the green after the construction of the steel factory and a slight rise in taxes (Mainly on the wealthier classes).

@HoChiMinh: I hope so. Though i'm slightly worried I start to think I can become more productive than I actually can be. However, I'm really only trying to keep the ship afloat as long as I can, being a Global Power would be an added bonus, though keeping the Netherlands in the top 20 would be a great achievement for me this early in my time of playing Viccy.

2 clerks for 3 craftsmen is ideal, 1:4 will work too I guess.

As for taxes: Do not raise taxes on the wealthy above 50%, it will cause them to turn into labourers. As for the luxury furniture factory: first, make sure that you can buy ordinary furtinure on the world market. Second, it does not matter where you build it, as long as you own tropical-wood-producing provinces. The best idea is to put factories that turn more profit and/or produce more expensive goods where you have larger, same-culture pops and railroads. Thus, it might be a better idea to put the luxury furnite factory in Holland proper, rather than the Dutch East Indies.

Try increasing your relations with France before trading with them. You should be able to get very favourable terms from them for three provinces. Also, being on their good side couldn't hurt either.

I've found that starting with a glass factory is a good way to go (especially if you produce coal) since coal is cheaply, easily and reliably available on the WM and glass is a relatively profitable product (also, if you're playing VIP, cement seems to be a more valuable product than before). Usually my second factory is a regular clothes factory, since fabric and dye are also available on the WM. That's just my opinion, I'm no Vicky master either.

@calcsam/Troggle: Cheers. I'll certainly take these into consideration, I'm starting to get enough funds for another factory soon.

------------------------
Netherlands, 26th November, 1838

After 2 years hard work, Dutch researchers finally completed there thesis on 'Practical Steam Engine'. Hopefully this will pave the way for inventions that will allow us to create experimental railways, and increase the effinency of the Dutch industry.

------------------------
Netherlands, 14th February, 1839

Today the Steel works that were constructed in Vlaandern last year have expanded by two times its original capacity. This means Hollands most sucessful enterprise can increase its profit. Also, plans have been made for a cement factory, and the enlargement of the current glass factory.

------------------------
Netherlands, 18th February, 1839

To show the jubilation at the Netherlands ever-increasing achievements, 300 people or Arnhem rise up in protest against the government! Taxes had actually been lowered just before then, and so this makes the rebellion even more odd. However, the 2nd Infantry Division was on hand to remove the rebels from the streets and send them packing to the morgue (although the public was informed they had been deported to Luxembourg). The rebellion lasted 4 days, with no losses inflicted upon the brave Dutch soldiers.

Last edited:
Netherlands, 1st March, 1839

The Netherlands has finally repaid all of her loans! We can finally work on gaining real profit!

-----------------------
Netherlands, 4th April, 1839

Through fears of more uprisings throughout the country, the new 'Horse Artillery Division' has started a recruitment drive in the mainly French provinces of Arlon and Liege. It is hoped that with a more multi-racial army other nations will follow our example, and also quell those that mistakenly believe we are tyrants. The division will hopefully be ready by 4th September.

-----------------------
Netherlands, 7th July, 1839

Today marked a great day in the relations between Prussia and the Netherlands. A visit by her majesty's foreign minister to the Prussian government in Berlin ended in success, where diplomatic relations were increased by 32 points. This will hopefully lead to greater relations between our two peoples.

-----------------------
Netherlands, 3rd September, 1839

Unfortunately however, there are others that wish to cause trouble whenever they want:
blastedfarmers.jpg

The demand was of course rejected, the Netherlands did not have the funds to compensate the farmers, and Her Majesty was not about to go and force the Dutch government to again take out loans.

Instead they were thrown in prison, until they were deemed suitable to once again milk cows.

Netherlands, 6th September 1839

With revolt risks running high in almost every province, I have decided it might be worth introducing heavy political reform. In other words, give people the right to vote. This of course is very costly, £15000, of which I only have £3000. However, if I leave it much longer I won't have much of an Empire left to govern. So, i'm just going to have to go back into debt again. Somehow i'm still the 6th Greatest Nation, though this is possibly through all the prestige i've collected.

--------------------------

Dutch Empire, 1839-1840

Well everyones now either Anarcho-Liberal or Reactionary. The Queen has fled, where no-one is sure and the Dutch government is in hiding at a secret location somewhere in Holland:
iwouldvenevergotthisinHOI.jpg

I can only think of one song at this moment in time, by 'The Doors'... "This is the end, my only friend, the end..."

Last edited:
Or maybe just let the rebels be. Eventually they willl succeed and change your ruling party and stuff, but that wont hurt you very much.

However, take out the Belgium rebels, as they will otherwise cecede to the evil Belgic nation!

@Troggle: Well, before I implemented Universal Suffrage about 90% of the people were Liberal, the other 10% being Conservative as those were the only two parties allowed I believe. When I allowed Universal Suffrage, I thought most people would be happier knowing they can vote for their own government. Oh no, turns out everyone wants to be Reactionary.
So the game runs on for a while. Soon the rebellions get too much, and an event saying i've turned into a Democracy pops up. This I thought would be good, but instead the rebellions get worse. Finally I lose my last army, and for a while the rebellions do nothing. Then I get a Monarchy event??? Seems all they wanted was to be back under the thumb of the Queen. Or do they? The revolt risk is still around 40% or more in every province and by this point i've been bankrupt enough times to make Leeds UTD looks wealthy (one for the British footy fans). To quell some rebels in the old Belgian provinces, I created Flanders (I think, it could have been Waillion) so I loose the rebellions down there. What happens??? Rebellions start popping up there.

So, what I think I might do is restart. I did play the current game upto 1848 but I just wasn't able to recover in a way. I don't think Prussia was to impressed with me either, it had -78% relations with me (possibly through quelling North German revolts in Arnhem etc. So perhaps it wasn't too long before she came knocking on my door. This time though i'll stick with not changing tax and other rates too often. Perhaps the people just get sick of you changing them at will. I might not do an AAR as such with it, just give you guys feedback on how it goes in this topic.

Shadow Reaper said:
@Troggle: Well, before I implemented Universal Suffrage about 90% of the people were Liberal, the other 10% being Conservative as those were the only two parties allowed I believe. When I allowed Universal Suffrage, I thought most people would be happier knowing they can vote for their own government. Oh no, turns out everyone wants to be Reactionary.
So the game runs on for a while. Soon the rebellions get too much, and an event saying i've turned into a Democracy pops up. This I thought would be good, but instead the rebellions get worse. Finally I lose my last army, and for a while the rebellions do nothing. Then I get a Monarchy event??? Seems all they wanted was to be back under the thumb of the Queen. Or do they? The revolt risk is still around 40% or more in every province and by this point i've been bankrupt enough times to make Leeds UTD looks wealthy (one for the British footy fans). To quell some rebels in the old Belgian provinces, I created Flanders (I think, it could have been Waillion) so I loose the rebellions down there. What happens??? Rebellions start popping up there.

So, what I think I might do is restart. I did play the current game upto 1848 but I just wasn't able to recover in a way. I don't think Prussia was to impressed with me either, it had -78% relations with me (possibly through quelling North German revolts in Arnhem etc. So perhaps it wasn't too long before she came knocking on my door. This time though i'll stick with not changing tax and other rates too often. Perhaps the people just get sick of you changing them at will. I might not do an AAR as such with it, just give you guys feedback on how it goes in this topic.

I guess you tried to change things a bit too fast and they looked back to the good ol' days.

An AAR isn't a failure as long as it entertains, so I hope you'll have another go at this one.