• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well that is a bold move but honestly the lose of another kingdom on top of it is harsh. I hope that you have some success in getting some of those old crowns back eventually.

Wow, from Orléans to Holy Roman Emperor. Bravo ! I felt bad for King Valeran when his Niebelung wife died (I need to rein in my emotional attachment to these characters....) :rolleyes:

It's taken me a couple of weeks, but I finally caught up in reading this. It's great!

just finished reading it! good story! and a nice change in the writing style too
unexpectedly, Emperor Galimani seems to have his hands full
keep it up, Italianajt!
Thank you!

Wow, from Orléans to Holy Roman Emperor. Bravo ! I felt bad for King Valeran when his Niebelung wife died (I need to rein in my emotional attachment to these characters....) :rolleyes:
Who would have thought I could do emotional writing? I think my next AAR will definitely be Narrative. I like the history book format but it becomes very formulaic over time.

It's taken me a couple of weeks, but I finally caught up in reading this. It's great!
Thank you for your dedication to reading it!

I haven't posted in awhile since I've been traveling (vacation and business travel) the past 10 days. I hope to have something up soon but work tends to get backed up whilst being out of the office for 10 days. I also want to let you all know that the next two entries will be the last.

THE LAST?! you say. Well, a la @RedTemplar I am going to continue this AAR in EUIV with minor modifications to Vanilla. I see it not as a mimicry of the Lombard AAR RedTemplar has written but more of a homage. And really, with the acquisition of the HRE and loss of Andalusia, the gameplay got very boring, very quickly. The game is much more suited to EUIV where I will take control of the Andulisian branch of the Galimani's. So, stay tuned, the end is nigh. Plus, because @KingJerkera is such a nice follower, there will be end of AAR maps!!!!

Reactions:
To understand better the momentous events of the Galimani family members that can be traced back to the mid-15th century we should look at the first true Galimani emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, Roland Galimani (1311-1370), son of Valeran Galimani the Great. When his father died due to complications from a wound sustained at the Battle of Nevers 1334, Roland Galimani was handed an Empire that had grown exceedingly large, but also with its head of state bereft of much real power.

His king’s and direct ducal vassals did bend the knee to him as their liege lord upon his coronation but his imperial reign was immediately embroiled in a struggle for Scotland’s vassalage. King Aymar had come to the new Imperial Court at the Chateau d’Orleans to speak about the possibility of Scottish independence upon his death. Aymar arrived in Orleans as the ancestral Galimani stronghold was undergoing extensive renovations and expansion. The chateau had become somewhat of a forgotten holding as the Alphonsian kings had solidified their Andalusian realm for over a century. Yet, with his coronation as Holy Roman Emperor and the loss of the Andalusian crown, Roland II had to relocate his household and court to Orleans. Orleans at this time experienced a revitalization of sorts as the primary Keep was expanded and larger stables and barracks were built. Also, plans for stronger castle walls and fortifications was put in place for construction several years in the future.

King Aymar arrived amidst all of this work as Roland projected his family’s power for all of Christendom to let them know that his father had been right in throwing the Nieblunging’s out of the Imperial Throne. Aymar came and the talks lasted long into the night. The dawn broke on a crisp Spring morning and, as court was called, King Aymar presented himself before the imperial throne and renewed his vassalage contract for all to hear.
1335Scotlandconfirmsvassalage_zpsa46qsjk1.png

Towards the end of the 1330’s the Alachisling king’s of France began their reconciliation of all former Orleanais lands under the French crown. Without the power of the Andalusian throne to impede their activities, King Enguerrand Alachisling and his advisors aggressively began exerting their influence of lands they long considered to be a part of their kingdom. The first Galimani holding to be usurped was the County of Paris.
1338ParisfallstoFrance_zpsa4hamj7p.png

Emperor Roland II and his Mongol wife, Empress Mandukhai, welcomed their first child, a son they named Valeran. As any student of Galimani history should notice, Mandukhai is a name well-known, for she was the second wife of Emperor Valeran, the Sword of Iberia. Roland’s insistence upon marrying his step-mother was a shrewd political move to keep the HRE’s alliance with the Golden Horde strong.
1338Valeranborn_zps9gkronbx.png

The years passed slowly in the Holy Roman Empire as Roland II began to increasingly leave administrative duties in the hands of his council and focus his own energies on studying the Holy Scriptures. He believed an emperor should lead his vassals as an example of virtue and holiness, living up to his title as the Holy Emperor. When Pope John Paul II called for an Anatolian Crusade against Caliph Hafiz Timurid, the emperor pledged his vassal armies commitment. Roland then slowly mobilized his vassal armies. He created three Grand Imperial Armies mustered in Nassau under the German king, in Toulouse under the Andalusian king, and in Paris under the French king. To these three encampments, vassal levies from Tangiers to Scotland coalesced. After three years of waiting, the armies began to march, mostly via overland routes, to Anatolia where the Knights of Calatrava had been on the attack against the Muslim forces for several years.

Reports from the crusade show that Emperor Roland hoped to win the day much as his forebearers had done by besieging key provinces that the Muslims had been pushed out of by his allies. While this succeeded in ending the crusade, Pope John Paul II awarded the Kingdom of Andalusia to the Order of Calatrava for their long, active, service during the campaign.
1342AnatoliaCrusadewon-KoCalatrava_zpsuguhf1hc.png
1342CalatravaAnatolia_zpsponekfh7.png

The weight of the empire began to bear on Roland and his Council after the Crusade as his vassal kings and dukes clamored for less crown authority. To placate the Central European dukes, Roland recreated the Kingdom of Burgundy and held the title himself. He also began to transfer de jure French dukes to King Enguerrand Alachisling, which included a number of his kinsmen. People also began to suspect troublesome tales of clan meetings and subterfuge from the Scottish nobles. In an effort to reduce his vassals and to protect the empire, Roland granted Scotland its independence. An unprecedented move that hold only previously occurred after a revolt had taken place. Roland also granted the County of Valencia its independence. Though perhaps Roland felt the Andalusian kings would vassalize soon thereafter.
1350GrantScotlandIndependence_zpsjmed96hc.png

Roland also dealt with the Irish claim of the Ua Cheinnslaig’s to hold the title, King of Portugal. Roland II gave a proclamation that all holdings of Portugal were rightfully under his Imperial Authority and proclaimed that he, and not Brian Ua Cheinnslaig II, was the true King of Protugal. The Irish were beginning to deal with dissension among their French-born vassals, mostly Galimani nobles, who migrated from Southern Bhreatain, to the Welsh areas of Powys. The Bhreatish left the claim uncontested.
1350UsurpKingdomofPortugal_zpstafphdy3.png

As the middle of the 14th Century came, Roland II began to be widely noted throughout Christendom for his piety in dealing with public matters. He also won favor from Rome through his dealings with local monasteries and bishops. He published writings espousing how the empire should act regarding religious matters which were seen as both profound and practical.
1343ParagonofVirtue_zps2g58pzos.png

--------

Here we end our tale of le Maison de Galimani. Their noble line carried the Holy Roman Empire all the way to the Renaissance of the 15th Century and proved effective at both staving off dissension as well as repelling Muslim incursions against their lands in Iberia. However, these stories are best left for another time as states began to exert more power than individual rulers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why did I decide to end the AAR in 1351?
I really liked the method that @RedTemplar used for his Long Lasting Lombard AAR in which he used a period of time before the end of actual gameplay to shape his EUIV world to better suit his storytelling needs. I also realized that with the crazy inheritance of lands across the empire that I needed a clean break in order to create histories as to how kingdoms centralized and single provinces were brought back under local control. No one wanted to have a Scottish Provence or a Greek Valencia sitting in the middle of Toulouse and Andalusia. Also, I really wanted to continue with Andalusia, which I felt was the true successor line of House of Galimani.

I will make minor modifications to the conversion file for EUIV so the continuation AAR will take some time to appear on the EUIV forums.

What happened in actual gameplay from 1351-1453?
Well, boring stuff. I won a crusade for Jerusalem, then lost it in a Jihad, then won it back again. The Galimani’s of Frisia inherited the throne of Aquitaine. This large kingdom then conquered Bhreatain Breag. The Kingdom of Ireland solidified its hold on the island. I created the Empire of Hispania, and granted the empress her independence. There was another Galimani Pope. I tried to get the Inbred Achievement by marrying my first cousin but didn’t succeed with it. Oh, and every other emperor was named either Roland or Valeran until some dude named Guerry or Thierry took over the throne due to an emperor dying without an heir. Also, a Sigismond reared it's ugly head again.

Thank you to everyone who subbed and followed me on this journey. It seems my first AAR was a success. I apologize if I wrote too long of entries and didn’t space them out accordingly. I wrote this as I wanted though. I understand that others have AARs over a much shorter gameplay that are longer than mine, but, oh well.

Let’s review the goals:
  1. Get a kingdom: Success!
  2. France to rule Europe: Partial Success. While the Kingdom of France does not rule Europe, the French culture has become THE culture of Europe.
FrenchCultureExpansion_zpsiwi5kpes.png

But don’t leave this AAR just yet! The Map Post will be up later tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions:
Atlas of the Known World - 1351

Europe

EuropeanRealms_zpsekl3q03t.png
The continent of Europe in 1351 was dominated, as it had been for centuries, by the Holy Roman Empire. The Imperial County was at this time located in the County of Orleans and ruled by the Galimani family. Just to the north was the County of Paris, the Regal County of the Kingdoms of Paris and Castille ruled by the Alachisling family. The Galimani family also ruled over the Kingdom of Germany on the Eastern edge of the empire. The Iberian Peninsula was dominated by the Kingdom of Andalusia, also a Galimani title. The Hospitaller Order ruled the lands of the former Duchy of Leon while the lands of ancient Galicia and Portugal were held by various dukes, disjointed and leery of each other. On the Northern Coast of Africa was also the foothold of the HRE in Muslim lands, the Duchy of Tangier.

The Kingdom of Aquitaine and Frisia, also ruled by the Galimani family, was the lone, large independent kingdom in Europe. The Aquitainian lands controlled Aragon, large portions of de jure counties (except the Duchy of Toulouse), and the Frisian coast. Independent duchies also existed, Normandy and Dauphine. The Papacy also firmly controlled the Duchy of Murcia which, after 150 years of Papal rule, was now considered a de jure holding.

FragmentedAquitaine_zpsagjfmnmp.png
The direct vassals of the Holy Roman Empire were dominated at this time by France, which held a highly discontiguous realm. Yet, by 1351, France had begun to consolidate and demand de jure duchies and counties be brought under its administration. The majority of the Holy Roman Empire north of the Alps and east of the Pyrenees was constituted of Great Duchies, notably Champagne, Savoy, and Upper Burgundy. Again, interspersed throughout the empire was the Kingdom of Aquitaine, outlined in gold on the above map.

FrenchCultureExpansion_zpsiwi5kpes.png
Europe was dominated by the French culture. While localized pockets of Dutch, Italian, German, and Breton cultures could be found, all lands (except Breton lands) were held by French-cultured nobles. The Iberian Peninsula, merely a couple hundred years removed from Muslim rule, was becoming decidedly French. While Andalusian cultures existed, once again all ruling nobles were French. Pockets of Castillian culture remained along the Northern Coast.

Venetian Republic
VenetianRepublic_zpsmsn6o6cl.png
The Grand Venetian Republic had grown quite large by the mid-14th Century. The capital of Venice, in the Adriatic Sea, was talked about as one of the most beautiful cities even at this time, yet most of its landmass was situated in an enviable strategic location, north of the Black Sea and on the Sea of Azov. Here, with multiple ports and holdings venturing far north along the Dnieper River on its Western boundary. The Venetian lands were situated to take advantage of Byzantine, Golden Horde, and Moldovan caravans and merchants. However, the land was still dominated by Hungarian peoples.

Eastern Europe
EasternEurope_zpsggbyuga0.png
While the Western World had been coalesced by the Holy Roman Empire for centuries upon centuries, Eastern Europe was far from establishing any type of imperial rule. The Region was dominated by the Kingdom of Pannonia and the Kingdom of Poland. However, pagan realms still survived in Lithuania and Ruthernia. Closer to the Holy Roman Empire marriages between Nibelunging, Galimani, and the Premsylid dynasties had forged a slight “westernization” of the kingdoms of Bohemia and Pomerania. The Grand Duchy of Brandenburg was also a major player in this region. Throughout Eastern Europe, the Teutonic Order maintained their various holdings as granted to them throughout the past several centuries.

EuropeanReligions_zpscfroykix.png
Regarding religious tendencies, Eastern Europe was by no means homogenous. Catholicism was the dominant religion but Byzantine holdings had brought Orthodox beliefs to the area. Also, in the lands between Pannonia and the Golden Horde, pagan religions such as Suomenusko and the Slavic beliefs were widely held.

Bhreatish Isles
BhreatishIsles_zps2kfvrcni.png
Known by many names throughout the Medieval Ages: Britannia, Wessexian Islands, and by the mid-14th Century, as the Bhreatish Isles due to the dominance of the Irish nobles on the Island of Ireland and the Kingdom of Bhreatian Bheag. The Ua Cheinnslaig’s ruled in Bhreatain for several centuries but around this time period their reliance on Anglo-Saxon Galimani nobles was beginning to wear on the kingdom. With the offensive-minded French-Galimani’s claiming Southeastern provinces (Kent, Essex, and Bedford), the Galimani dukes under King Brian Ua Cheinnslaig sought to exert more and more influence over the direction of the kingdom. Aquitaine also inserted itself into the Bhreatish Isles through inheritance. The old Norse holding of East Anglia still survived in the middle of the 14th Century but the lands had begun to fall within the political sphere of the Holy Roman Empire.

The Kingdom of Ireland itself was seeking to regain its standing in the Isles as they re-conquered the southern portion of Ireland around 1300, throwing the Scots back to Scotland. Scotland was released as a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire in 1350 and was trying to find its own footing without the backing of the powerful imperial armies. The rest of the Isles were made up of independent duchies. Northumberland had the unenviable position as the buffer between Scotland and Bhreatain Bheag. Lancaster, Oxford, Hwicce, and Wessex also existed at the prerogative of the Bhreatish. These duchies were fearful of being re-vassalized or conquered by the Ua Cheinnslaig’s.

BhreatishIslesCultures_zpshsymh8pc.png
The Isles themselves were extremely diverse for the land mass. While French culture ruled across the Channel, Irish and Scottish culture competed to dominate and assimilate the masses. Still, after centuries of Irish control, Anglo-Saxon peoples still thrived in the middle of the main Bhreatish Island, mostly propagated by the Anglo-Saxon Galimani noblemen. Of course the Norse way of life thrived in East Anglia but, disturbingly, the French culture of the Aquitainians and Imperial lands was already starting to take root.

Scandinavia
Scandinavia_zpssl7d8z84.png
Scandinavia was still a diverse and fractured land. While the Suomian lands once threatened to overrun Norse Christendom, the emergence of the Golden Horde and the judicious distribution of lands to the Teutonic Order (which had by this time been revoked), kept the pagans at bay. Still, Suomi had the most landmass, but little political power in the region. Danmark was the most politically stable of the Scandinavian kingdoms during the mid-14th century. But conflict would continue between these many rulers.

ScandinavianCultures_zpszyyzdvbu.png
The cultures of the Scandinavian lands were still very Norse. With the increasing influence of the Danmarkish kings the Danish culture was beginning to spread across the Southern Fjords. Further south, the Mordvin culture flourished in the former lands of the Suomian rulers. During this time, great internal struggles along this eastern frontier began as the Mongols attempted to integrate the Mordvinian people into their society.

The Mongol Lands - Asia

GoldenHorde_zpsbqwqa3i8.png
Nothing speaks to the power of Christianity during this time period, such as the conversion of the Mongols to Orthodoxy in the early 14th-century. The Horde occupied land greater than than the Byzantine and Holy Roman Empires. With no troubles along their southern borders with the Muslim rulers and no resistance from Eastern Europe once they converted, the Golden Horde began a period of internal adjustments in the 14th century to bring all peoples into Mongol society. While they had converted to Orthodox Christianity, the Andalusian Galimani kings forged close personal ties with the Golden Horde in an effort to outweigh the Byzantine Empire’s power.

The Byzantine Empire

ByzantiumandMiddleEast_zpsjgxbcl9t.png
Spanning from the Caspian Sea to the Valencian Coast (Islands of Mallorca) the Byzantine Empire has been the constant guiding power since the late 8th century. Recently, due to jihads and crusades, the Byzantine Empire has been left with very little lands in Anatolia. While fighting intermittently with the Holy Roman Empire over counties on the Italian Peninsula, the Galimani’s ushered in a period of peace between the two empires with their ascension to the throne. The Byzantine’s had to begin to worry about the Mesopotamian Sultanate to the south.

Africa and the Middle East

AfricaMiddleEast_zpstnqn7sch.png
The Muslim world of the mid-14th century found itself at a low point in its long battle with Christendom. By 1350 they had lost their recently conquered lands in Anatolia to a Holy Order, and had lost the Iberian Peninsula in two generations. The Holy Roman Empire’s incursions into the Northern Africa had also begun to spell the doom of the Mahmudid Dynasty. Yet Egypt, Arabia, and Persia were all firmly controlled by strong and long-standing Muslim dynasties. Yet, just as European nobles found, the Muslim rulers needed to set aside personal squabbles to repeal future Christian incursions to take land.

India

IndiaPersia_zpsmf3uivlh.png
The mid 14th century saw the height of the Palanese Kingdom. While a strong kingdom for over two centuries, the Palanese Raja’s expanded their influence further west, conquering old Siwanese and Chawda lands. The realm of Neisany still clung to its odd mixture of Buddhist and Muslim nobles overseeing a Catholic populace.

So what would the next 100 years bring?

Reactions:
Indian kingdoms are named after the ruling dynasty. Palanese should have been Bengali. I see you're just a few decades away from game over, if your going to continue to EU 4 I'll be sure to follow. KUTGW!

Reactions:
Congratulations on your wise and powerful dynasty ! And thank you for a fun and enjoyable AAR.
I don't have EUIV, but presuming there is a chance to discover the New World in that game, I'm sure the Gallimanis will be there doing it :)

Congratulations on your wise and powerful dynasty ! And thank you for a fun and enjoyable AAR.
I don't have EUIV, but presuming there is a chance to discover the New World in that game, I'm sure the Gallimanis will be there doing it :)
God-willing the Alphonsian Line will continue to live up to the greatness of their last few kings and help lead the way to the New World. They can expand southward through Tangiers (which will be a part of their kingdom again, I don't know why it became an independent duchy) but they will have a hard enough time changing the Andalusian culture throughout the kingdom.

Drools... Maps... Any whoo. This has certainly been a bumpy ride I can't wait for the next segment.
:) The EUIV AAR will most likely be bumpy. While it's good to have the Golden Horde as Christian, what happens when the two Orthodox empires decide that Catholicism has run its course? I am also scared of the Mesopotamian and Egyptian Sultanates. Those Bhreatish are going to be a nuisance as well. Also:
I will not being making France lucky. Let's see the AI deal with a fragmented France.

Great writing Italianajt! Will certainly be following this into EUIV

Bravo!