• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sarrazina had to admit it. Ever since she had started to engross herself into the lives of the Galimani, things had gotten better. It had been several days now. She now ate freely and was allowed greater access to “The Compound” as she called it. She hadn’t met Jerrome d’Arny again but she had spoken with Perrigan. She and Perrigan had been meeting regularly for dinner. They didn’t see many other people. A cleaning lady once and someone whom they both thought was a guard at their first dinner together.

Perrigan had access to The Compound as soon as they arrived, his “reward,” Sarrazina thought, for being a good boy and reading all of the assigned manuscripts. While she was letting herself succumb to some basic needs the chip on her shoulder still remained. Her cynical nature made her a better at her profession. Don’t trust too much what you see at face value. Through all of this, she and Perrigan still couldn’t understand why they were here.

She closed the door to her quarters. There on the coffee table was her tablet. Well, she hadn’t left it there, and it was perfectly in the middle of the table. None too subtly, Sarrazina realized she was to read on. While she had studied the other texts available to her on the Alphonsian line of kings, material and history she thought she had learned enough of during her Masters program in Nice, she discovered the primary sources she had access to were quite vast. This Galimani Knowledge was quite amazing in its historical depth and breadth. She still wanted to know what exactly was so secret that Alphonse III needed to designate someone to keep it safe.

She turned on the tablet and accessed the manuscripts.
------------------------
While I have duties to my own holdings and to my vassals, my king never released me from my responsibility as his Keeper of Knowledge. To think that my grandfather was a bastard of a young Queen Mother. I don’t have a drop of Galimani blood in me but I have been risen to the nobility of Orleans due to my service. Our king sits in Orleans and now administers a large portion of Iberia wrested away from the heathen Moslems of the Mahmudid Sultanate.

The populace was greatly agitated but also somewhat subdued. I cannot blame them, their great Allah had sustained them for hundreds of years and now the followers of Christ had become their overlords. The repercussions were felt very quickly in the Mahmudid lands. Attempting to stabilize his legitimate rule, the Badshah immediately declared war upon the lands granted to the Knights Hospitaller in Plascenia. Seeing the plight of the weight of the Mahmudid empire against this Holy Order that came to his aid during the Crusade, King Valeran offered to help his kinsman and the Order retain their lands.
1255MahmudidHolyWarfor_zps1rfaceac.png

In the Spring of 1256, the Orleanais forces gathered at met the Moslem armies on the fields of Tarazona. The defeat was decisive. The Sultan’s Light Cavalry and Horse Archers overran the Orleanais forces.
1256BattleofTarazona-defeat_zps1svrpleq.png

Oh how the King lamented his army's defeat. Time and time again he petitioned the Emperor to let him lead his own men but time and time again the Empire told him to resign if he wanted to leave. The Dragon could not leave though. His instruction of the commanders and levies had propelled the Holy Roman Empire to greater expansion and success on the battlefields of Europe. His honor kept him in Julich.

Realizing the desperate need the Hospitaller Order was in, King Valeran called upon his entire realm to fight back the Mahmudid’s. La Grand Armée met the largest Moslem force supporting the Hospitaller War in the coastal city of Alcacer do Sal. The rout was swift and complete. Of 15500 Frenchmen in the battle, only 1400 lost their lives. The same could not be said for the heathen ranks.
1257BattleofAlcacerdoSal_zpshdkpkuox.png

After the battle King Valeran began to be petitioned by his dukes about their concerns regarding his support of Prince Oliver, his firstborn, to succeed him. Valeran, safe in Julich, decided to forgo Oliver for a more suitable successor, his second son, Roland. Already, in his first months of rule, Roland was being referred to as Roland the Just among his new Andalusian subjects in Badajoz.
1257OliverGalimani-firstborn_zpsscolhxta.png
1257RolandGalimani-Heir_zpsjmv6nkmh.png

+++++++++++++++++++++
My efforts to write more about Valeran have been tampered by the fact that, while he is a great king, Valeran is becoming a nuisance. My duchy is bereft of teeth. I have but one true vassal in Foix. The pompous Prince-Bishop Guiges in Rouergue continues to speak to me as some lowborn stable boy. Then my liege dares not part with the coastal holdings of Narbonne and Melgueil which should rightfully belong to me. He laughs whenever I travel to Julich to petition for their transference. I need to exert my rightful place as the Duke of Toulouse.
1261HeliedArnyRevocationWar_zpsb1rwolmn.png

I have brought along my writing materials as I campaign with my forces to keep up what little I can glean from reports of the wars in Andalusia. All couriers must pass through my realm to reach The Dragon’s Lair in Julich, so naturally I ply them with food and wine to learn what news they bring Valeran.

In the Spring of 1261, with the might of Orleans behind them, the Knights Hospitaller forced the Mahmudid Badshah to surrender his claim on Plascenia. I had not known this since my levies in Andalusia were yet to return when another messenger came from Julich told me the Dragon was now supporting St. Peter’s Throne in defence of the Duchy of Murcia against the heathens!
1261JoinHolyWarforMurcia_zpslykni2en.png

++++++++++++++++++++++
News comes from Andalusia where the County of Molina has seen the Truth and are converting to Christianity in droves!
1262MolinaConverts-firstcounty_zps88jj8tui.png

Such surprising results after seven years out from under Moslem rule. And now the Holy Roman Emperor has declared his own Holy War for the Duchy of Beja. Things are truly becoming very interesting in Hispania.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++
My name is Duke Luthard of Toulouse. I have assumed the responsibilities of my father after his passing.

With King Valeran’s focus resting either on the training grounds of Julich or in the messages continually coming from Andalusia, the European realms are starting to go through many convultions. First the king’s nephew’s son usurped the crown of Aquitaine.
1265KingofFrisiausurpsAquitaine-nephewsson_zps8iudexrw.png

Then Emperor Frederic, a man many claim has a special connection with the ethereal, has declared war upon St. Peter’s Throne. This after establishing the Bishop of Ancona as an Anti-Pope two months before.
1266HREdeclareswaronPapacy_zpswapgsk3k.png

The war for Rome was executed to perfection, no doubt all orchestrated by my liege in his position as Imperial Marshal.
1266HREusurpsPapacy_zps7l8wmrd5.png

I have not been to Julich to see King Valeran to tell him of father’s passing several years ago. I am starting to believe that our task, as father could tell me before his death, should be one held for the Galimani’s own benefit, but without their knowledge. We are landed nobles now and are not reliant upon the kindness of our king. Should we not operate and be the Galimani’s Keeper even if they don’t know we are helping them? I will discuss this with my sister. I have in mind a perfect idea for a safer vault for our accumulating works.

The Dragon has been at continuous war for almost 15 straight years since joining the Andalusian Crusade. Word has reached my realm that King Valeran has declared another Holy War for the Duchy of Valencia against the aging Badshah.
1266OrleansHolyWarforValencia_zpsfwkcdimq.png

The Orleanais forces have won a great victory in Elx. Soundly routing an inferior force and capturing a shahzada, what I have come to understand is something akin to a duke.
1267BattleofElx-victory_zps4ynnj19m.png

Word also reaches us that the subjects of Prince Roland’s regal county have adopted French culture!

Grave news in Andalusia. While King Valeran has constantly worked to maintain his realm, thus raising his kinsman to landed nobility, this practice has borne unripened grapes. Ogier, the grandson of King Ogier Galimani, has been placed on the throne of Scotland. While this coronation should be celebrated by Le Maison de Galimani, King Ogier has declared Cuenca his regal county!
1267OgierGalimaniandCuencaKingofScotland-HREVassal_zpspuekircm.png

++++++++++++++++

I write this entry from Julich where the dukes of Andalusia and Orleans are celebrating with our king the end of our holy war for Valencia.
1269ValenciaWon_zpsxagwbtew.png

This is the first time I have met King Valeran in person. I had to tell him of the news of my father’s passing years before. He exchanged a look at me as if to say “I suppose that makes you the next Keeper,” but there were too many nobles around for any productive talk. I still maintain that our task should be driven to the shadows. If King Alphonse wished to keep us safe from harm for the vast amount of knowledge and information we are accumulating, should we not do so while wearing noble laurels to the world as a mask? The Dragon is still imposing and impressive even at 63. His name is spoken as a legend throughout the Empire. I am amazed he does not try to create his own grand empire nor try to wrest control of the Holy Roman Empire away from Frederic.

The Dragon has promised peace to the dukes and princes in attendance. Prince Alphonse, the king’s third son, sent his chancellor in his stead. The merchants and couriers coming from Andalusia talk about Alphonse as a madman. Whoring, drinking, staging grand tournaments for beetles...other tales abound of how the prince has lost his mind. Though I must say that, in speaking with my peers, we are all mostly in agreement that Prince Roland is the soundest to lead the realm. The German dukes, both of them, each think they are the best to rule Germany.
+++++++++++++++++
Four years have passed since I have last recorded information in this tome. My efforts have been focused in my own realm and compiling the ledgers of finance for the beginning of le maison de Galimani. I have had enough of dusty storehouse. Thankfully gold liberates many manuscripts to better surroundings.

The Dragon has declared war once again upon the Mahmudid’s. He now seeks to connect his Orleanais holdings to Andalusia through the martial acquisition of the Duchy of Barcelona.
1273HolyWarforBarcelona_zpsuykqftyb.png

He was only driven to this course of action now, I have come to find out, since King Guiges declared his own Holy War for Navarra.

News from Bhreatain reaches us that King Ogier has usurped Scotland from Lochlan of Gowrie.[1] The French Galimani’s hold three crowns and now it appears the Bhreatish Galimani’s hold two crowns.

As the year 1275 comes to a close news has reached my realm that Valeran’s forces have captured all of the coastal counties in the Duchy of Barcleona.
1275ControlCoastalProvincesofBarcelona_zpsmxwsku1u.png

The Dragon has left his mark throughout the Empire but these latest victories are making him one of the most famed men throughout the entirety of civilization. Put this in contrast to his kinsman King Ogier of Ireland’s failings to rule as his Scottish kingdom was usurped by an upstart Scot named Macbeth.

We are also hearing that the Knights Hospitaller secured all lands in the Duchy of Leon last year.
1274HospitallerHolyWarforLeon-Won_zpsc2fhsdkv.png

+++++++++++++++
Celebrations have been announced! The Dragon has claimed another victory!
1277BadshahRashidSurrendersBarcelona_zpsfok5j71r.png

Reports from Barcelona speak to the Moslem armies becoming increasingly unwilling to engage Valeran’s forces in battle, eventually causing their Badshah to surrender his lands or risk another revolt against his Sultanate.

We are are hearing news that Valeran has crowned his kinsman Guither, King of Germany, though these are from unlikely sources and most likely not to be true.

I am beginning to question my liege’s decisions. After years and years of war, Orleanais forces are being sent to claim the County of Bedford from the Petty King of Svithod. Why does my liege continue this bloodshed? Is he starting to believe the tales that he was born from the seed of a dragon?
1277BedfordWar_zpsqjqhidnx.png

1277ValeranBio_zpsr2yad0gy.png

++++++++++++++++
Chateau of Orleans 1280

The mourning continues. Long into the night we drank quietly and deeply from our cups, broken occasionally by those of us who fought together relieving our grand battles against the Moslems. The Dragon has died. They say his passing was peaceful. His squire, I believe the tenth squire to serve under him, found him two days ago. Luckily, King Valeran was attending to matters here in Orleans when he went to Christ. While I do not wish to dishonor the Old Dragon, I must get to Julich with the delivery of his death. His writings on his time in Julich, which has been whispered exist in great quantities, must not pass to the Nibelunging’s.

1280KingValerantheDragonDies-AllHailKingRoland_zpshirhxbos.png

----------------
[1] Ogier lost the Scottish crown and then somehow became King of Ireland, which he held when usurping the Scottish crown again.

The succession of Roland came with a lot of drama. I had retained one county over my demense limit when I acquired Barcelona. After I started the war for Bedford, and kept some vassal levies raised when the negative opinion was rising to -25 or -30 among some vassals, the game mechanics kept switching supporters of Roland, Duke Savary of Valois (who has the genius trait), and Prince Oliver, duke of Seville. So every two weeks of game time I would have to support a new heir to keep Andalusia and Orleans held by one person. While I resigned myself to letting Savary inherit, it seemed that whenever I support Savary, the opinions of other dukes would then trigger them to support “the other guy.” I finally granted Melguiel to Duke d’Arny so that the negative “Demense Too Large” opinion went away. The AI finally settled on Prince Roland, and so did I. The Dragon would have wanted his brightest son to rule anyways.

Yes, I granted Germany to one of the Eastern dukes, I couldn’t maintain their loyalty or favor and continually had the threat of an uprising whenever I would raise my own levies. The best course of action as to give the German crown away.

I stupidly let the AI assign the holders of the new lands in Barcelona and “Prince Roland” created a republic by giving a mayor three counties!

Last edited:
(....)
I stupidly let the AI assign the holders of the new lands in Barcelona and “Prince Roland” created a republic by giving a mayor three counties!

Whenever one of my Councillors offered to assign holders of new lands, I quickly refused, fearing it would give my conquered lands to everyone who hated me ; never did I dream it might also create a Republic. Ugh !

What a mighty warrior Valeran III of Orléans was ! Your demesne is very impressive !

@KingJerka Your yet-to-be-requested Atlas will be put up right before the next installment. The Mongols have not been idle.

This is a magnificent AAR-have been bingeing to catch up and have just done so. Well done indeed. Prolific too-may I say.

Would be great to see a campaign map denoting the extent and breadth of lands you control (i.e. not the terrain map)

KUTGW :)

This is a magnificent AAR-have been bingeing to catch up and have just done so. Well done indeed. Prolific too-may I say.

Would be great to see a campaign map denoting the extent and breadth of lands you control (i.e. not the terrain map)

KUTGW :)

There will be a "Direct Vassal" mapmode map before the next update or afterwards. The kingdom has begun its consolidation.

There will be a "Direct Vassal" mapmode map before the next update or afterwards. The kingdom has begun its consolidation.
Lovely!

I want to clarify that the AI did not, in fact, create a new republic. This is important for the next update to make sense. It did, however, grant a mayor three counties neighboring Barcelona.

Atlas of Europe, Hindustan, and the Mongol Lands ca. 1280

Dominating the political and cultural landscape of Europe, the Holy Roman Empire spanned from the Atlantic coast in the Iberian Peninsula to the Thuringen Plains in the East. Imperial lands also extended South to cover much of the Italian Peninsula and are located sporadically throughout the Bhreatish Isles.

The Iberian Peninsula has seen sustained religious conflict in recent history with Imperial vassals making headway against the Mahmudid Sultanate. King Valeran Galimani III of Orleans granted counties to the Papacy, the Knights Hospitaller, and the Order of Calatrava after the restoration of the Kingdom of Andalusia in 1255. The Knights Hospitaller now control the Duchy of Leon and the County of Plascenia.
1282TheHolyRomanEmpire_zpsufdrdauh.png

Since the 12th Century the Holy Roman Empire is dominated by two royal vassal realms: The Alachisling’s of the Kingdom of France and the Galimani’s of the Kingdoms of Andalusia and Orleans. Of the two, the Galimani’s have had better success at consolidating their lands. Recently, they have begun to grant tertiary kingdoms to their subjects, the Kingdom of Germany and the Kingdom of Aquitaine. The Kingdom of Aquitaine has a tumultuous history as of late. Re-established by King Alphonse the Great in 1220, the kingdom was granted to Duke Guichard Talliefer a quarter century later by King Valeran, the Dragon of Andalusia. Twenty years after Guichard was crowned King of Aquitaine, Guiges Galimani, the child king of Frisia and nephew to The Dragon, usurped the crown of Aquitaine and made it his primary title. Under Galimani leadership, Aquitaine has recently won a Holy War for the Duchy of Navarra and look poised to expand their Iberian holdings further.

The French have expanded their lands mostly through personal unions with duchesses of the empire. Their patchwork kingdom is still administered from Vendome on the Loire but stretches as far East as Bavaria, as far South as Ancona, and as far West as Castille. To the North their lands border the North Sea. While strong militarily, this disparate realm may lead to a fractured kingdom given enough time.

The Galimani’s have continued their rising dominance throughout the greater part of the 13th Century, mostly in part to the long and storied reign of King Valeran III, the Dragon of Orleans and Andalusia. At the time of Valeran’s coronation under a Regency Council, the Kingdom of Orleans was still focused in the Loire Valley and in the Rhineland. Yet through his martial prowess, Valeran’s armies captured the vast Kingdom of Andalusia during the Hispania Crusade. There in Andalusia, Valeran distributed duchies among his many sons and the shift of power began. The Andalusian kingdom is now centralized around Toledo and continues uninterrupted through the Pyrenees to the Duchy of Toulouse. The Northern kingdom is constituted by the Duchies of Orleans and Valois in the Seine and Loire Valleys and the isolated Counties of Bedford and Essex across the Straits of Dover.

The Holy Roman Empire has within it many independent duchies and counties which, without Imperial decree, will remain independent as the Imperial authority prohibits war between vassals. The largest duchies are Upper Burgundy and Dauphine.
1282KingdomsandIndependentDuchiesofHRE_zpswzvwfehr.png

The Byzantine Empire has remained relatively unchanged since the early 13th Century as revolt after revolt has engulfed the empire. While the Basileus still reigns in Constantinople, the age of Greek Expansion has ended with pressing Muslim interests from the South and the ever-growing Ilkhanate to the East. Most interesting is the Venetian Republic’s holdings along the Caspian Sea which have led to the ever-growing wealth and influence of these mere bankers.

The Golden Horde, or Ilkhanate, have steadily overrun pagan tribes on the Asian Steppe and have pressed all the way to the borders of Scandinavia. However, most merchants and travelers to Byzantine say that the empire is having a most peculiar effect on the Mongols.
1282IlkhanateandByzantium_zpsi5gwtka8.png

North Africa and the Holy Lands are still dominated by the Muslim Sultanates. The Jibrilid Empire has come to rule Egypt and the Holy Land while the Arabian Empire, led by the Akin dynasty, are the largest in land mass and military power.
1282MiddleEastandNorthAfrica_zpsviiwplzo.png

Hindustan, what travelers also refer to as India, is dominated by four Raja’s: Pala, Punjab, Alupa, and Orissa. The Muslim religion has begun to infiltrate Western Hindustan as some rulers have converted.
1282PersiaandIndia_zpszvmgwnmm.png

Yet the mysterious realm of Neisany / Makran exists in the midst of these foreign lands.
1282MarzpanateofMakran-Catholic_zps2hynxeps.png
No one knows how or when, but the Marzpanate of Makran adopted Christianity, eschewing Islam and Buddhism. While currently at war with Neisany, the Neisanian lands are also mostly Catholic. May the Lord keep St. Thomas’ dream alive!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Lovely update. Thanks

Day after day. Routine. Cycle. Reading. The absence of connections to the outside world was not as bad as she first thought. An adjustment, but not horrible. Seeing Perrigan for dinner had become the bright spot in Sarrazina’s existence. Her world was consumed by reading manuscripts about the Galimani family; about their holdings, about their serfs, about their trade, everything. She was reaching a breaking point.

Then d’Arny returned.

“Mademoiselle, how are you?” The voice was cheery and inviting as the door opened to Sarrazina’s quarters. As inviting as an unexpected intruder could be.

“d’Arny. Has my time finally arrived? Have you come to throw me out of this prison?”

“Come, come. I had heard you were rather beginning to think of this place as home?”

Sarrazina looked at the man, formulating her response, taking in what he had said. “You’re bugging the mess hall?”

“Of course. In fact, everything is bugged, monitored, recorded. Everything.” A small smile crept across his face. Sarrazina lunged for him over the coffee table but was quickly looking up at the ceiling as she lay on the couch.

“Such fight. Which is partially the reason why you were brought here. Do you want to know why?”

“I asked you as much the day we were abducted,” Sarrazina replied through gritted teeth.

Jerrome d’Arny laughed, picked up her tablet, and tossed it to her. “Read.”

“I’m done reading.”

“Shhh,” d’Arny put up a finger to his lips. “One more time, read.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1280, the Dragon has died and the Judge reigns in Toledo. I have read my brother’s recent writings before he stored them in the vault. He is losing touch with our sentence. I still understand our Sentence. We are the progeny of a whore. We must atone, and atone, and atone. My brother is concerned with his duchy. Precisely the reason we were not meant to become noble. His writings have become short, stoic, bereft of content. Mere facts. Knowledge, yes. But it is knowledge without direction. He is the Keeper of Knowledge.

I shall be its Voice. My name is Esclarmonde d’Arny
1282EsclarmondedArnyVoiceofKnowledge_zpsefxvar3x.png
--
Within days of his father’s passing, King Roland proclaimed the Kingdom of Andalusia as his primary title. This was to be expected. Roland grew up in the hills of Badajoz letting his ducal regent administer his realm. He froliced with the country women and whores, he overate at every opportunity, and oh the fits of anger when he felt that he was slighted or when he was outmatched in a fair competition. Yet the prince was noted for his administration of justice at a young age. They speak of disputes between servants, serfs, and nobles being fairly adjudicated even before Roland came of age. He always offered a fair fight, even if the outcome may not have been to his liking.

During his young adult life, Prince Roland always supported the Old Dragon’s wars with nearly 2500 men from his duchy. The men were said to carry the banner of the Pillar and Lion before them with pride. Roland lost his first wife, Ros Carrun, a Scot, to pneumonia in 1271 and did not remarry until his coronation. His first union produced three daughters and a son, Prince Roland. Now, we have received word our new queen is due to arrive in Toledo soon from Julich - Princess Stephanie Nibelunging, a woman of nine and ten known throughout the Imperial court as a scholar of theology and law.
1280PrincessofHREbecomesSecondWife_zpscct0ko39.png

I wonder how this Galimani will be? Men speak of the Old Dragon with reverence, but he was a Dragon without any doubt about his nature. The stories are told among the lesser courtiers how King Valeran would order all male heirs older than 5 residing in the dungeons beheaded. How many fathers lost their sons this way? How many mothers, too, were led to the headman’s block for being captured as their homes fell around them? Children too young to carry a sword cruelly murdered for being Muslim. Where are their stories? Why do men celebrate such measures? He was a Dragon, gobbling everything in his path. Those he could not sell, he engulfed. All to create destabilization among the Mahmudid’s.

The year grows cold as news from Toulouse has reached me that my brother has passed away and is now with Christ above. My young nephew Gaucher now becomes Duke of Toulouse. It is good that he controls the majority of the holdings within his realm lest the Galimani’s in Foix seek ever greater titles to add to their House. I must meet with young Gaucher to inform him of his Sentence or to make sure my brother left the proper instructions with the proper individuals. Yet my body grows weak, perhaps Esclarmonde should accompany me?
--

My name is Esclarmonde d’Arny, daughter of Esclarmonde d’Arny. We are the Voice of Knowledge.

I write for and with my mother who has grown too frail to continually scratch away at parchment with her quill. We shall give voice to the knowledge of the Galimani while my kinsman the duke gathers and classifies all.

Our king and his council have created for themselves a discussion and argument to last for centuries. Roland has declared the Kingdom of Orleans to be defunct and destroyed. The Galimani’s ancient title is gone. Two hundred and twenty years the kingdom lasted. Longer than the Francia’s, longer than Burgundy, longer than Bavaria. Now, it is no more. We are Andalusians and French. At least, that is what we are told from Toledo.

1282RolanddestroysKingdomofOrleans_zpsctcanpya.png

1281CouncilofRoland_zps7nwmlk1s.png

King Roland had surrounded himself with men who would always look to prop up their liege. Men who would tell him “yes” even if the answer should have been the opposite. He had kept his father’s Greek Chancellor, Daniel Katakylas, who had been granted the County of Castellon before King Valeran’s death. His Marshal was Duke Savary Galimani, a competitor for the throne upon Valeran’s death, Savary had been assuaged by the realization from the other dukes of the realm that he would inherit the throne upon Roland’s passing. With the unfortunately short lives of Orleans kings, Savary had every belief that he may just inherit this Andalusian realm. King Roland then asked two Mayors to be his Steward and Spymaster. Men who would do anything for Roland to stay in his good graces. The Court Chaplain was rightfully deserved his position, the Prince-Bishop of Denia, Evrad. Evrad had to politically handle the Papal lands of Murcia to his West, Venetian traders in his port, and Muslim pirates to the South across the Mediterranean.

The road to the abandonment of the Orleanais title began with the king asking his advisors, specifically Savary, what their attachment to the kingdom was. Roland had barely visited Orleans and hardly remembered it as a child. Those few servants that would answer my entreaties described the crestfallen appearance that Savary displayed upon Roland’s continued exposition of his idea to destroy the Orleans regal title. Yet Savary assented, or so we are led to believe. No more would the dukes be split over which kingdom to give to one of their own or to one of the king’s line, now it was Andalusia alone.

Before the destruction of the title Roland realized that he alone could dictate who held the majority rule on the Iberian Peninsula. While the Duchy of Castille was the largest Muslim holding still left on the Peninsula, Roland had determined that he needed both Atlantic and Mediterranean ports. He controlled Gibraltar, but his kingdom needed easier access to the North Atlantic. He declared a Holy War for Portucale.
1282HolyWarforPortugal_zpspdndmjcw.png

With the announcement of hostilities, messengers were sent to all rulers from House Galimani. The House answered the call of the Dragon’s Son. Leading the call to arms was Duke Edouard Galimani II of Pisa.
1282GalimanisAnswertheCalltoArms_zpswrmk5ohk.png

The war was swift and blunt. The Retinue of Andalusia along with all Iberian levies crushed the only Muslim force to oppose them in the Battle of Porto. One by one they besieged the counties of Porto, Bragança, Coimbra, and Castelo Branco. Two years later, after the Castel of Pontevedra (the obstinate seat of power of the Mahmudid Badshah), Badshah Rashid II surrendered to King Roland.

1284BadshahRashidSurrendersPortugal_zpsed8cujgy.png

What of Roland’s prisoners? Unlike his father, Roland released all prisoners either through a ransom payment or by throwing them out of his dungeon. He only executed the head of the Bektashi Order, a Muslim Holy Order of mercenaries.

With the war over, and Aquitaine declaring it’s own war for Castille, King Roland sought, as many a Galimani king before him, to rebuild his wealth. Thankfully, his father had sent him to one steward after another so that he would come to understand the power of money and accounting. His terrific ability at gathering and implementing taxes grew the treasury of Andalusia. Yet he could not escape the fact that his vassals were beginning to draw ire at his accumulation of ducal titles within the realm. Shortly after the surrender of Rashid II, King Roland granted his kinsman Humbert, Count of Chartres, the Duchy of Orleans.
1284HumbertGalimanigrantedDuchyofOrleans_zpszfcwejok.png

King Roland, out of tradition it was said by Duke Savary, kept the county of Orleans.

Pope Gelasius III, in 1285, then called upon Europe to free the Holy Lands from their Muslim overlords. Once again, the Holy Roman Empire neglected to pledge imperial support and left it to King Roland and the Holy Orders to lead the Crusade.
1285CrusadeforJerusalem_zpsa2uzstiw.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
So it seems Orleans had become a burdensome regal title. Good move to remove it though it's lords would not be pleased eh? Good update.

So it seems Orleans had become a burdensome regal title. Good move to remove it though it's lords would not be pleased eh? Good update.
I was keeping it more for the roleplay. I realized that there were no de jure vassals since it was a Titular Title. No one became upset through the game mechanics. But the destruction was beneficial from a storytelling perspective and yes, for inheritance reasons as well.

Our men and boys are now equipped for battle. The king has answered Pope Gelasius II’s call to arms for his Crusade. While the Emperor’s puppet pope sits in Ancona doing nothing, Andalusia still nominally supports Rome. Poor Romagna. The ancient city has been sacked numerous times by the Emperor only to be granted back to His Holiness. The Duchy of Murcia is widely being recognized as “the second Most Holy Throne” in Europe for as many times as the Holy See has had to relocate to Southern Hispania.

The fleet King Roland has raised up is almost as impressive as the army he has called to arms. The majority of the vessels fly the flags of Granada and Andalusia, while Roland’s own fleet from Gibraltar and vassal levies from the Duchy of Valencia and the Duchy of Toulouse make up the rest of the fleet. 187 vessels in all called to the ports of Barcelona to wait the embarkation of Andalusian arms. The organization of such an expedition was immense. Extra taxes were collected throughout the kingdom, livestock seized, grain supplies seized, cloth, blacksmiths, iron, leather...anything the king’s men needed, they appropriated in the name of Christ. We were not left without any succor. Our realm was vast and the lands were plentiful. The converting Andalusians were the most ready to take up arms against the former religious brethren. Other lesser nobles and courtiers spoke of joining the Templar Order, which was only natural since King Valeran became their liege lord before his passing.[1] Their castle holding in Tiberius was a perfect staging area for expeditions in the Holy Lands.

One year after declaring his intention to join the Crusade, two months after sailing across the horizon from the Aragonese Coast, the Andalusians arrived in the Holy Land to spearhead the Crusade. The reports from the Holy Land I received second hand from one of the commanders of the army so we must take these anecdotes and facts with some hesitation as to their validity.
1286AndalusiaArrives_zpsfckiy0to.png

The 17000 souls of our army disembarked from the Levantine Sea in Tripoli near the capital province of the Akin Empire, Archa. The army, augmented by Papal levies, besieged both provinces. Tripoli for a port-of-call and Archa to humiliate the Akin’s. These sieges took less than a year to complete. After the cities were occupied and garrisons detached, the Andalusian army, led by both the Grandmaster and Marshal of the Templars, supported by Papal troops, Lothian levies, Pouitou levies, and Wessexian soliders, met a great Mulsim host near the Mosque of Beit Nuba in the County of Jerusalem. The battle was enormous. 34000 Christian men attacking 24000 Muslims. The outcome was a complete rout of Muslim forces at a rate of more than two to one.
1287GreatBattleofBeitNuba-victory_zps0hpyeqog.png

The Andalusian army then moved to the City of Jerusalem and laid siege to the Holy City. For two years they caused supporting armies to move around the province and local areas. No one would come close to Roland’s forces. 1289 witnessed the fall of Jerusalem but the Muslims had not been idle. Deep in Persia and the Arabian Peninsula, the heathens gathered their army for two years. Finally, in 1290, they marched straight for Jerusalem. Their numbers overwhelmed and annihilated the Christian force in Tiberius across the Jordan, as the armies met near the Mosque of Tabor.
1290GreatBattleofTabor-defeat_zpsjhgoqpwb.png

With the Crusade seemingly lost, the broken remnant of the Andalusian army came home. How many wives, sons, daughters, and betrothed wept when the 187 ships returned and only 5 vessels entered port to disgorge their broken innards? Our faith was shaken. The survivors returned to tell only harrowing tales of the Great Battle of Tabor. How the Muslims, like demons, overran their lines, crushed any defensive opposition before them and killed any man foolish enough to ask for mercy. Andalusia wept.

Roland, ensconced in Julich administering the Emperor’s finances shut himself away. Servants came and went, but no one else. Our lord mourned as only he could, through work. He emerged with patents of nobility. Yet, the were for an ingenious idea. Establish our own center of trade away from the Italian families.

1291DuchyofBarcelonacreated_zpsuyf4wbw4.png

1291BarcelonaRepublicGranted_zpsw4wflyxi.png

1291 witnessed the creation of the Republic of Barcelona. A unique idea that our king learned while administering the Empire. Give a mayor with sufficient enough power the authority to establish a merchant republic, keep him happy with his king, and the gold will flow like honey. The Lord Mayor Antoine was granted the ducal rights of Barcelona, which was, as stated, renamed the Republic of Barcelona.
--
After three years of watching the situation in the Holy Lands deteriorate, the Arabs convinced the Mahmudid’s to join them in defense of the Holy Lands. Though the levies had not recovered from their devastation in Tiberius, King Roland called up an army of his own levies, his personal retinue (which was continually training men), and vassal levies to field a modest force of 9000 men, boys really. This force was tasked with the defense of Andalusia against the Muslim Bektashi Order. Their first test came at the Battle of Guarda where they stood up to the Bektashi Order and utterly destroyed the heathen knights.
1294BattleofGuarda_zpsleuvn6xs.png

Martial orders were issued from Julich to harass any semblance of Muslim military power. The army, led by Duke Gaucher d’Arny, my kinsman, next found a most peculiar and horrifying army near the Mosque of Ourense in Santiago: Irish mercenaries fighting under the Mahmudid banner. The Andalusians had no qualms at attack fellow Christians, especially those greedy enough to fight side-by-side the heathens against their own religious brethren. Though evenly matched, the pikes of Roland’s own levies and the small detachment of knights, caused this mercenary-led army to retire from the field of battle.
1295BattleofOurense-victory_zpslgsvscff.png

Our army, which had shed itself of all vassal levies, followed the mercenaries South to Porto where they won a resounding victory.
1295BattleofPorto-victory_zpsgyxayrag.png

Realizing that he could still help out the rest of Christendom, and realizing that he could not stay out of this Crusade any longer, King Roland began to prepare for a second invasion of the Holy Lands.

Then the most amazing news arrived from heralds in Toledo and every major province of Christendom. The Horde had converted and the Ilkhanate had adopted Nestorian beliefs.

1294GoldenHordeconvertsOrthodox_zpsturgudoy.png

1295IlkhanateconvertsNestorian_zpse3twff8k.png

We all welcomed this news with disbelief. The might pagan Mongols had converted to Christianity? It was unwelcome they did not follow St. Peter’s Throne, yet our greatest fear had become one of our religious brethren? Europe was held captivated by the power of Christ. Emissaries from the empire and every kingdom descended upon Saray to learn about these new brothers.[2]
---

I believe this is my final contribution to the Galimani’s great store of knowledge. I am not old and dying as my mother was when I began this task as the Voice. But, as my daughter grows, I know that she cannot be the Voice. She is a wonderful girl, but simple. Perhaps it is God’s punishment for indulging myself with Bishop Henri almost a decade ago. I shall write to my kinsman Duke Gaucher. He will know what to do. I hope he has been training his sons or daughters to keep up our works. I am sad that my beloved daughter cannot continue or work. But it will be too much for her. Too much. I will love her as a mother and not as look to her as my apprentice. I will hold her to my bosom and bless the Father for her, but she is not for my life and this task. My cousin will know what to do.

1309EsclarmondedArny-VoiceofKnowledge_zps5bwsx2n6.png

-----------------------
Sarrazina had to wipe away the tear welling in her eye. Crying? At a woman’s lament nearly 700 years ago?

“So they died out?” she finally said to Jerrome d’Arny, who had sat back down.

“That line died out, oui. Yet the knowledge continued to accumulate, how?”

“This...Duke Gaucher d’Arny?” Jerrome d’Arny only nodded. Sarrazina took a breathe and continued. “But the eldest Esclarmonde had said that his work was slipping, becoming mere facts, nothing amounting to knowledge. So...they would have needed to make contingencies. Lineages die off even today, they would have needed people to keep their task ongoing…” She shot a look at the man sitting across from her. “My God. They would have needed…”

“Us.” d’Arny answered. “Mademoiselle, I am sorry for the pretense but we had to be sure you were worthy to our task. You will need to read a bit more but soon your training shall begin. If you so choose to stay?”

Sarrazina gave d’Arny a slightly confused and questioning look.

“Sarrazina Chevalier, Mademoiselle Knight,” d’Arny quickly laughed at his joke, “do you understand what I am offering you?” Sarrazina slowly shook her head which prompted a sigh from d’Arny. “Much training. Book smart but not street--”

“This is the Order of d’Arny.” Sarrazina interrupted.

“Yes.”

“With their line in danger of dying out, the d’Arny Family began to recruit.”

“Yes, but then--”

“How many?”

“We are small. But why did you--”

“Why me?”

“Back to this already, Sarrazina? You are what we need. Perrigan has accepted our offer. We need you for your expertise and for your less-than-legal talents. We still operate in the shadows, as was decreed by our Ancient King so long ago.”

“The kingdom is not what it was.”

“In this House, it still reigns,” intoned d’Arny. “You will learn.” Jerrome d’Arny clapped his hands together to end the discussion. “Perrigan has accepted. We need you Sarrazina, we need a Voice, we need you…Esclarmonde.”

---------------
[1] Yeah, I forgot to mention that didn’t I?
[2] Why both the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate? It appears, somehow, that the Ilkhanate appears as a title only. They hold no lands. All lands are held by the Golden Horde.
[3] No, I did not name each one Esclarmonde, that was all the game.

Reactions:
I can see it now! A new videogame franchise! "d'Arny Creed" A game where you play as an abducted historian forced to lay on a device that uses your genes to make you relive a fully detailed 13th Century Europe. You can then free roam and do parkour on a very detailed Barcelona and get missions from iconic historical characters. Unravel secrets not known in contemporary times! Seduce beautiful women from the era! Expand your mansion! Battle Moslem hordes! Pre-order now to get your very own d'Arny Bandana! Only for $59.99! (Deluxe edition only for $159.99) Early Access (Please buy our unfinished product :))

Reactions:
Bummer about that crusade to Jerusalem huh? I wonder how you can avoid that happening in future? Maybe detach a small force and send it far to the east to give you early warning of any approaching Muslim army-shame they don't have options for scouts in this game

Bummer about that crusade to Jerusalem huh? I wonder how you can avoid that happening in future? Maybe detach a small force and send it far to the east to give you early warning of any approaching Muslim army-shame they don't have options for scouts in this game
You can always send your spymaster a few counties away to Steal Tech and use him as a scout of some sort. Andalusia should be near enough the Holy Land.

Or...........

What a mighty wind of encouragement swept through Christendom as the 14th Century came near! The Mongol tribes had converted to Orthodox Christianity and King Roland had sent another large army to the Middle East to help prosecute the ongoing crusade. The Iberian Peninsula, mostly spurred on by the actions of Roland’s court and council, was rapidly converting to Christianity as well. Oppressed families of Portuguese and Aragonese descent began to appear as nobles in notable works chronicling local histories during this time period. It seemed that Christian Europe had finally “turned the corner” from their dark times. The now intimate interactions between the Muslim populations in Hispania as well as the traversal of armies across the Mediterranean and Southern Europe and Byzantine lands gave birth to new trade routes and ideas. Set amidst this bright backdrop comes a most enlightening and utopian document from the Imperial Court of Emperor Godfroy Nibelunging V:[1]
1297CessationofViolenceAct_zpsv5x36t8b.png

There are but a few remaining copies of the proclamation, as most nobles, especially the vassal kings of the Holy Roman Empire, destroyed the documents almost immediately upon receipt. After the Cessation of Violence Act was written and distributed, the Emperor’s power began to slip, subtly at first, but within thirty years, the Nibelunging’s had been disposed from the Imperial Throne. To better understand the changes of Europe during this time period, we will focus on the kings of Andalusia during this time period.

King Roland Galimani was in the autumn years of his reign when his second Crusader army landed in the Middle East to re-engage the Muslim armies of the Akin Dynasty. Their first major battle took place near the City of Yarmouk where their outnumbered army defeated an allied Muslim force, giving their enemy no quarter on the battlefield.
1297GreatBattleofYarmouk-victory_zpsj28mziqf.png

The Battle of Yarmouk was the last major engagement during the Jerusalem Crusade as rebel Muslim’s rose up and overthrew Sultan Muslihiddin in 1299. The rebels dispatched messengers to their armies and to Rome to notify them of the cessation of hostilities and the invalidation of the Pope’s claim on Jerusalem.[2] The Andalusian army disbanded all of the vassal levies near the Castle of Le Feve, the stalwart bastion of Christianity held by the Knights Templar. Many of these soldiers left with the Andalusian retinue forces, but still many more stayed in the Holy Lands in small communities. These soldiers eventually became absorbed into Arabian culture through marriage. Others stayed on to join the Templar Order.

As the crusade wound down, King Roland secured high-level personal unions with the newly converted Khagan Bogorchu to his daughter, Princess Perinne as well as the marriage of his other daughter, Perinne’s twin, Princess Yolande, to King Brian Ua Cheinnslaig of Bhreatain Bheag.
1298DaughtermarriedtoKhaganBogorchu_zpsbjccx2jf.png
1298DaughtermarriedtoKingofBhreatain_zpss0dx8jg2.png

While the personal union with Bhreatain lasted until his death, Khatun Perinne Galimani died shortly after giving birth to the heir to the Golden Horde, Achigh Jochid, later known as Achigh the Great.

With the Crusade over, and the Emperor’s actions becoming ever more erratic, a faction of vassals, including the King of Aquitaine and the King of France, revolted to lower crown authority within the expansive empire. However, France at this time was ruled by a Regency Council and their levies were much diminished in strength. Hoping to capitalize upon the situation, King Roland declared war upon France to once again try to reclaim the County of Vendome in 1301. With outlying holdings of both France and Aquitaine near at hand, Roland split his army. 15000 men would besiege territory in the Iberian Peninsula while 15000 men would strike straight for Vendome.

Such plans often come to naught. The Northern levies from Toulouse, Valois, and Orleans took longer to rendezvous then what Roland had believed. When they did meet up in the Northern Pyrenees, the main armies of the revolt were shadowing them closely. This Northern Army made their stand in the mountainous terrain in Foix but were routed in the Battle of St. Gaudens.
1301GreatBattleofStGaudens-defeat_zpswxjafulo.png

The 7000 man remnant, which Duke Savary of Valois likened to “a few rabble rousers and a portion of the king’s bodyguard,” went on a grueling march due North to the North Sea holdings of Aquitaine.[3] The Southern Army had not been idle and had managed to besiege Aquitaine’s relocated capital of Navarra. Near the Irun Pass, close to the Bay of Biscay, the Andalusian army and the rebel armies spied one another. The rebel armies were the first to flinch and headed back northwards to besiege more land from the empire in order to press their claims. yet the Northern Army was not done fighting. Arriving in Orleans and Vermandois, more vassal levies were called up. The army fought a small skirmish outside Julich with an Aquitainian force and then, hearing reports of a large body of soldiers to their rear, they turned south and made for the Alps.

Enduring a hard Winter passage, the Northern Army emerged over the Italian Alps and turned west again to meet up with Barcelonian soldiers (in quite exquisite gold and red armor and every fifth man bearing a different House’s seal), as well as fresh Toulousian levies. The armies evaded the rebels long enough to entrench themselves on an imposing outcropping near the Bishopric of Nizza, in Nice. There one wing of the rebel army smashed into them, in the belief that their small numbers would hinder the Andalusian army long enough for the main army to reach them. Yet the ground was too steep, the Andalusian too aggressive, and their reinforcements were too far away. The outcome was disastrous.
1302BattleofNizza-victory_zpss027bkia.png

The main rebel army came to Nice merely one week after the victory at Nizza. During this time, the Andalusians had recovered some organization and men when they relocated to the Barony of Antibes. Almost 13500 Andalusians faced off against 15000 rebels. Though well-led, the rebel army could not break the ground chosen by the Andalusians and were soon enveloped and put to the chase, destroying any further resistance.
1302BattleofAntibes_zpspgquskm8.png
With the rebel army broken, the people of France rose up and overthrew their king, ending Roland’s claim on Vendome. An inconclusive battle for the province once again.

Roland’s armies rested long enough only to reinforce with enough men to finally expel the Mahmudid dynasty out of the Iberian Peninsula once and for all. In 1305, Roland declared a Holy War for Galicia, focused on the lone County of Santiago.
1305HolyWarforGalicia_zpsqrlzocol.png

The short war, really a skirmish if compared to the Jerusalem Crusade of the late 13th Century and the Imperial Revolt several years earlier, last two years upon the total capture of all holdings within Santiago.

1307GaliciaWon_zpsgmvnc7nl.png

As Roland’s life came to a close, the Galimani’s had never been more powerful. While they did not control the empire through the crown, nominally, in terms of manpower, they most certainly had great effect upon imperial authority. The held the crowns of Aquitaine, Frisia, and Andalusia. They controlled ten duchies both independent and vassals to kingdoms, as well as controlling numerous counties and baronies. In 1306, Cardinal Simon Galimani was elected to sit on St. Peter’s Throne and became Pope Clement II.
1306PopeisGalimanionceagain_zpspv5oaljh.png
With his family rising ever higher in European politics, and beyond, King Roland passed away and aged man of 70 in December 1310. His son Valeran was a warrior and would come to rightfully hold the name passed down through history, Valeran the Great, the Sword of Iberia.
1310RolandDies_zpseh0kwupt.png

1309EsclarmondedArnydies-SecondVoice_zpsvm29eqra.png

------------------------
[1] Dude wasn't called 'The Strange' for nothing.
[2] I find it frustrating that a Crusade against a religion can end inconclusively. The purpose of the Crusade was to win land for one religion over another, not one liege over another.
[3] The Kingdoms of Aquitaine and Frisia were held jointly by one of the Galimani’s.

Reactions:
The Sword of Iberia

Kneeling at his father’s side as the the great king lay dying, Valeran could not help but feel a tad overwhelmed. His life had been building up to this point ever since his father had publicly proclaimed his backing for his son, the Duke of Valencia, to succeed him. Now, 23 and a king, he already knew what his Council would tell him, he must marry for the good of the realm.

But Valeran had done his research discretely as they all saw their great king at the threshold of heaven. He would make a safe political move. In fact, the personal union contract was already on its way to its destination.
~~~~
His betrothed had arrived from Julich. Of course, he had never set eyes on the woman. Valeran knew she was around his age, not promiscuous, and somehow related through marriages. But, she was Nieblunging and part of the Imperial family. Another high noble wedding between Galimani and Nieblunging had garnered attention throughout the empire, as it should.

When Princess, soon to be Queen, Solene stepped out of the carriage, Valeran was smitten immediately. He could also tell that she was likewise taken aback at the king’s appearance, but in a good way...he hoped.

That night Valeran felt a young man again as his new wife and he consummated their marriage again...and again.

Valeran and the court were very pleased to see, some months later, that Queen Solene was with child. Valeran doted on her and Solene did everything she could to foster such an attitude from Valeran. He was more apt to temper his anger around her and others with her near at hand. Yet Valeran still had time to train with his levies.

There was a good bit of matters within the kingdom to deal with as well during this time. His ducal family were squabbling with local matters, just as he had done two years before. The Barcelonian merchants were asking for more protection from the Amalfi Syndicate again. Later one winter day, as he was ending with his court petitioners, a herald arrived from Julich.
1311MarshalofHRE_zps3x9cgwv2.png

“So your Uncle believes you to be a worthy candidate for Imperial Marshal? Much like your grandfather, The-”
“The Dragon, yes I know Chancellor. King Valeran I was quite the man for never leading an army in battle.”

“My king!” the Chancellor responded with a gasp. Valeran waved him away.

“I think I can grouse about my own grandfather. Also, it’s not like I won’t be in the exact same situation if I take the emperor’s offer.” Valeran looked up at the herald, “Stay for a time while I draft my response to our Emperor.”

Valeran wrote his letter of acceptance to the Emperor and began to arrange for his travel to the Imperial Court when one of his body servants rushed to him. “My king, your wife is in labor!”

“Glorious! Glorious!” Valeran replied with a smile, but the man’s reaction betrayed Valeran’s joyous outburst. “What is it Jean-Luc?”

“The labor is hard, my king...from what I heard from a handmaiden,” the man bowed his head and attempted to shrink away from Valeran. But he could not muster any anger, only worry began to gnaw at his heart, mind, and soul.

The hours passed into the night and dawn began to break when Valeran heard the baby’s wail. He had a child. As he strode through the corridors to see the child, he was stopped by his brother, of all people, blocking his way. “Alphonse! What is this? Move out of my way, brother. I must see my queen and my child.”

“No brother, not now. ‘Twas good I stayed after my business was attended to. I have been asked to keep you waiting, though it pains me to do so.”

“No, Alphonse, I don’t know what jest this may be but it is most unwelcome,” Valeran made to walk around his brother but was stopped as Alphonse put his body in his way again. “You must move.”

“Valeran, you must stay here.”

Duke Alphonse, your king commands you to move aside.”

“Resorting to that already?” Alphonse looked over his shoulder and shook his head. He stepped to the side, “My king may have wanted to heed my advice,” he said with a hint of sorrow in his voice.

Valeran determinedly continued his walk until he reached his wife’s bedchambers. He pushed open the door as the midwives were starting to clean. Blood. Blood on the sheets, blood on the floor, blood on the women. Then he noticed his wife, lifeless. He heard a midwife call out but the tears were all he could see as he stumbled out of the door, and into his brother.

“Gone! Dead! My queen!”

1311Wifediesinchildbirth_zpsezfeaovb.png

1311RolandBorn_zpsyj4z7jqw.png

~~~
“The...the Ilkhanate, my lord?” his Chancellor had asked him when they received word back the Mongol lands out east.

“Oui, the Ilkhanate. Landless Mongols who still hold a higher title than I, and now my future children shall have a claim to said title.” Valeran spoke as if detached from the entire conversation. As if this was just a small matter. Akin to ordering poachers drawn and quartered, or watching a rebel bleed from the nose and eyes when his head was put in a vice. Small matters.

“But the Princess is only ten!”

“Well, it’s best I stay alive then until she is ready to come west. Other matters to attend to Chancellor?”
1311BetrothedtoPrincessofGH_zpsu7pgf7dc.png

~~~
Life in Julich passed by much the same as it did back in his various chateaux, bereft of life and color. Except red. King Valeran practiced with either his personal guard or the imperial levies he was here to train. He had to be restrained from his unbridled aggression during training on more than one occasion.

Yet he did begin to form a bond of friendship with his uncle, Emperor Godfrey V. With all of the time he had to himself as he waited for his Mongol bride to come west, he found plenty of time to converse with Godfrey. A strange man, to be sure, but a good man at heart. Always wanting what was best for the empire.

No wonder several years later, as Godfrey began to decline in health, King Valeran found himself proclaimed the Designated Regent.
~~~
Six years Valeran had spent in Julich. He revisted Toledo when time allowed, much preferring the rolling hills and fertile soil to this land of river valleys green with plants in the Summer and dead and cold in the Winter. He already knew that season to be dead, he needed no further reminder. With six years to plan, Valeran understood his Iberian position was both envious and precarious. His father had kicked out all of the Mahmudid’s from the peninsula but they still remained, a short ferry traversal away in Tangier.
1317HolyWarforTangier_zpslk8ydbqh.png

Truthfully Valeran did not know exactly who ruled the former Mahmudid Empire now. Some upstart rebel who styled himself Badshah and attacked the weakened Mahmudid’s at the right time during the Dragon’s reign. It didn’t matter. Moslems were Moslems and had to be killed no matter what family they traced their lineage back to.

He could see how the Dragon had done it so many years before him. Directing a war from this far away gave one perspective. Being too close you began to act irrationally, emotionally. This was not an emotional war. He smashed across the straits as quickly as he could. Laying siege to Ifra, Tangier, Cebta, and even Tell Atlas where the Badshah resided. He let his commanders decide what heathen army to crush.

Within two years, the war was over and Valeran had secured control of the Mediterranean’s entrance. The vast majority of trade and armies would now have to pass through his realm. He began to think of tolls. He gave counties and the Duchy of Tangier to some displaced fourth son of the Alachisling’s...or was it a Welenti boy?
~~~

Seven years had passed since Tangier was brought under his control. Seven months since the Emperor had awoken with a devilish fever and chill. Seven minutes since he had become the most powerful man in Christendom next to Pope Clement II. He was now the Imperial Regent for his cousin, a baby. He was now the sole administrator for a family whom he had begun to hate again and blame his recent events upon.

The Nieblunging’s had kept the Galimani’s out of power from their accidental assumption of the Imperial crown and then instituting Primogeniture succession.

The Nieblunging’s had killed his wife by leaving her physically unprepared to survive the birth of his son.

The Nieblunging’s had waged constant wars over St. Peter’s Throne and the Byzantine Empire costing thousands of lives.

The Nieblunging’s stubbornly refused to join the Pope’s call during Crusades which caused many to fail.

Now, he controlled them and Europe. Whispers began almost immediately, which turned into arguments when court was held or during Council meetings.
1324FightforHRERegency_zpsh28dmztd.png

If only more people would respect his House. The pressure he brought to bear on the detractors was gleefully executed. Blackmail, rumours spread, and threats were all used to precision. Not just here in court, but throughout the empire. Word travels quickly when you have unsavory things to say.
1324StillHRERegent_zpsqqmxg2tt.png
~~~
Valeran had taken leave of Julich. Once again he basked in the golden sun above Andalusia. He also began to hear how the commoners spoke about him during his journey through his realm to Toledo:
‘There goes the Sword of Iberia.’

“What is this ‘Sword of Iberia’ talk Amaury?” Valeran had asked while reclining with his Marshal.

“They praise your contributions to the empire and to your direction of the late war to take Tangiers, my king.”

“It is 1327, Tangiers was eight years ago.”

“They have been speaking about you for that long, my king.”

Soon afterwards Valeran dismissed his marshal and retired to one of his palace gardens where his wife, Mandukhai, sat with her handmaidens.

“Too what I owe pleasure?” she said in her haltingly French, she at least said it with a smirk to show she was joking with him. She had born him sons and daughters on his brief visits back or her visits to Julich. But still, his heart was firmly with Solene that night in 1311. Valeran believed that his new queen had come to accept this. They were at least friendly, if not truly in love.

“I want to ask you something.”

“Come for my thoughts?” the queen waved her handmaidens away.

Valeran and Mandukhai spoke long into the night. He wanted an outsider’s opinion. For even though Mandukhai had lived almost a decade here in Andalusia, she was still a Mongol and had not taken very highly to the culture other than clothing and some food.[1]

The morning brought forth a golden sun but after Valeran broke his fast, storm clouds brewed along the eastern horizon. He met with his Council with the document already prepared before him. The meeting went better than expected.

“Then it is agreed by all that we stand behind the contents of this letter? We do this for our well-being and for le Maison de Galimani.”

Thunder and lightning began outside.

1327WarforHRE_zpsjtftomh4.png

~~~

Triumph. Victory. Death. Ruin. Where does one draw the line? For almost eight years Valeran’s revolt had gone on. He could feel it drawing to a close. His forces had razed the Portuguese holdings of Emperor Godfrey VI first. Easy pickings on the literal Western edge of the empire. Then his kingdom’s levies, his retinue, and very expensive mercenaries trudged towards Julich and back. Now he was outside Chateau Nantes. Yet death he could only see before him, and death behind him. At least the Sword of Iberia had lived up to his name. He was not sitting ensconced in a tower but out here, leading his men time after time. The army approaching was the last resistance Godfrey’s Council could throw at him.

-------

1334Valeranbecomesincapable_zpscsbdajwg.png

“Prince Roland! Prince Roland!” the man was yelling his name as he came up to him. “Our king...your father...he has been knocked down from his horse!”

“How is he? He must still be alive if you address me as such. Where is he?” Roland laid into the man with question after question until he saw a group of his father’s retinue approaching with a horse and ragdoll rider in the middle. He saw the battlecrown upon the rider’s head and knew it to be his father. The helm was split, but his father?

“Ho! How is the king?” he called out to the lead knight.

“My Prince, very dicey, the king got his head in ‘tween a mace and nothing y’ see.”

“Is he alive?” Roland asked impatiently.

“Oui, he is alive.”

“Then we press the fight. If he dies, all we have gained dies with him! Take him to the priests. We have much to gain before this winter turns bitter.”

1334ValeranbecomesEmperor_zpsjxi8fgv7.png

-----

How does one coronate an emperor who can’t even speak? Roland thought to himself as the Pope himself administered the coronation of Valeran in his father’s chambers. It would have been a much more comical sight had the incapable emperor not been his own father. Still, he had other problems to worry about. He knew his time to wear the Imperial crown was rapidly approaching. Worse yet he knew he would lose Andalusia. Word had arrived from his men in Toledo that his uncle Duke Alphonse, was garnering support among the other dukes for his election to the throne. The imperial crown, when in time it was placed on his head, would be bitter. He would have an empire, but no power.

1335ValeranDiesAndalusiatoAlphonse_zpsa8nvmbkz.png

-----------

[1] How delicious would this food be? Traditional Andalusian dishes, mixed with underground Spanish dishes, with predominantly French cooking styles and flavors. I think...yum. Even though I don’t really know what “traditional Andalusian cuisine” is. Probably no one does.

Reactions: