• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks faithful and patient readers both and old. Look for an update in the next couple of days.

Ok.. so maybe more than a few days.... hahahaha.... but wow I'm surprised I've had more than 30K views. Thanks for the visits guys, and don't be afraid to comment. It may help me produce more quickly.

I'm hoping to start a new AAR soon, but I'm determined to finish this one, though as you know if you've read, I'm reconstructing data since the original game save files were lost. Therefore the story will end somewhat sooner in game time than what might otherwise be expected. Nevertheless, I will give it the old college try. Rene Atta and M. le Prof Renault deserve no less.

Good to know that you're still around I began to fear that I have to wait another year for an update.

Your 'college style' makes this one very unique and outstanding and I hope we will enjoy some more lectures of M. le Prof Renault.

Ok.. so maybe more than a few days.... hahahaha.... but wow I'm surprised I've had more than 30K views. Thanks for the visits guys, and don't be afraid to comment. It may help me produce more quickly.

Well I hope this encourages you. :D

He was nearly screaming now, but his face was a mask of serenity belying the intensity and volume of his words.

I am at pains to describe exactly what happened next; it was so unusual as to defy easy description. First of all, though Renault conducted his classroom on a bit more relaxed basis than did other professors, this level of latitude was remarkable even for him. Secondly, Ling had heretofore been relatively invisible as a student. Certainly he was known; he had some friends and bunkmates, but he’d never conducted himself in this way before. Thirdly, though we were an emotional and patriotic bunch, I think none of us were quite sure what side of the argument we should be on. All of this is of course, not an unlikely response to what was indeed a remarkable situation. What was unlikely was what M. Renault did.

Amidst the rising chaos of the moment, Renault extinguished his pipe, lay his lecture notes aside, raised his hands and gestured for our silence.

“Students, such outbursts are unnecessary. M. Ling has indicated that he has himself conducted research into these alleged incidents. He has said that he has seen with his own eyes the evidence of these so called crimes. Sirs, we are not barbarians. We are Frenchmen, and we do not shout down those who would challenge us, nor do we fear to face the facts that may arise. Perhaps there is something to what Ling has to say. As I have said, any doctrine can be challenged, provided you have conducted the research to back your claims. You sir,” he leveled his eyes at Ling, “say that you have done so.”

“I have.” Ling answered with a certainty that could only be described as bordering on arrogance.

“Well then,” Renault continued, “bring it next class period, subject of course to the constraint of Imperial Army Educational Protocol 15.”

With those words a gasp went through the classroom and Ling visibly shuddered, losing the composure of which he was so proud.

“But sir,” he stuttered, no longer certain of his words, “Sir, I…”

“Is there a problem M. Ling?”

“Sir, with respect, I withdraw my question.”

“Are you certain? I am willingly to pursue the issue with you further.”

Ling bowed and spoke rapidly, his eyes fixated on the ground in front of him. “M. le Professeur, if you will permit, I respectfully withdraw my inquiry.”

“If you insist,” Renault replied, and with those words, Ling saluted and took his seat. The rest of us sat stunned into silence, as Renault sighed and resumed the lecture as if nothing has occurred.

We were as military students subject to the Imperial Armed Forces Educational Protocol, and Protocol 15 was one section of the educational code with which we were all familiar. It was the section of the Educational Code related to the intelligence services and provided recourse for students to file grievances against their instructors if they suspected them of treason, sedition, academic malfeasance, propagandizing, or “acts unbecoming an officer in his majesty’s Imperial Armed Forces.” It was a simple enough section, and many have thought that it used to squelch honest conversation or academic integrity at the university. Nothing could be further from the truth, for both students and professors were protected under the code, and the penalties for bringing false allegations against someone, as well as the rules of evidence governing such accusations, were extremely high.

Despite the complaints of some soft hearted, empty headed radicals, it is actually a bastion safeguarding the intellectual freedom of professors and students. It was unusual though to hear it invoked. Had Prof. Renault invoked the Code against Ling, and had Ling been found in violation, he would have been stripped of his rank, expelled from the university, and quite possibly reassigned to a less than desirable posting. As I’ve said though, such things rarely happen.

Wow. It's a good thing the empire had the foresight to enact such enlightened legislation to promote intellectual freedom.

Nice to see a new installment.

Vann

The next class period, instruction resumed as usual. Everyone was a bit anxious to see what had happened to Ling since his outburst. The few days that went by felt much more like months and I could hardly even recall what the subject of the preceding lecture had been about. Prof. Renault of course had no such difficulties as he had given these lectures countless times and could doubtless have done them in his sleep.

We filed into the classroom as usual, and Ling was there, sitting in his accustomed seat, silent. None of us spoke to him. We didn’t know quite what to say since the previous incident had stripped us of all certainty. Class began with the customary greetings, pledges of loyalty, and we settled uncomfortably into our seats as Prof. Renault began his lecture almost as if nothing at all had occurred.

“As I noted at our last discussion, industrial output and imperial prestige were on the rise after the stunning success of the Franco-Prussian War and the liberation of the Rhineland and its subsequent annexation to the French Empire. It was this annexation which brought France to her historic and rightful boundary in the Northeast, the Rhine River, and reversed the century’s long domination of the low lands of the Rhine by Germanic aggressors.

Throughout the France, both in metropolitan France and throughout the Empire, incomes and wages were rising, a mood of general prosperity prevailed and cultural advanced. This was the beginning of one of the golden eras of Europe, led as always by France. The final annexation of Siam occurred between October and December 1873, a glorious event the stress of which unfortunately also brought the demise of one of Emperor Napoleon III. His son, Napoleon IV assumed the throne at that time, shortly after the conquest was finalized. The new emperor was himself actively campaigning in Indochina, and for a time, though the seat of the imperial government remained in Paris, the court of the emperor was in Dongnai. It remained there until June 25, 1875 when the conquest of Indochina was completed with the surrender of Annamese agitators who had continually fomented rebellion against French leadership."

Damn, that has to be the longest-lasting cliffhanger on AARland and approaching Epic Fantasy Installment territory :D

Renault is only protecting the honour of all French Officers in general, on principle. It's only right. Silly Ling.

Damn, that has to be the longest-lasting cliffhanger on AARland and approaching Epic Fantasy Installment territory :D

Renault is only protecting the honour of all French Officers in general, on principle. It's only right. Silly Ling.

You're right about that.... You know how it goes... you get a little writer's block, life gets busy, you keep saying "I'll update it," but then something happens and you don't. The French Century will probably come to an end soon as my save game files were lost in a computer crash, and all I have are some scattered notes up to the late 1880's, but I'll make it tasty as long as I can.

Another long-time reader checking in

I believe I said that your readers would await your muse. Loved the beginning of the post.

Vann

Another Long-time reader checking in :). Great to see this is still alive and kicking.

It is a bit difficult now to remember all that transpired in those days. It was so long ago, and life was so different then. By now of course spring was coming and it was harder and harder to pay any attention in class, much less to now recall what we learned.

“The final pacification of Indochina and domestic tranquility secured by the policies of Napoleon III led to quite rapid industrialization, led by tremendous advances in railroading throughout metropolitan France, though without the disruption to social order that was so common in other nations. It was in the post Annamese War era that a final intervention in the Americas led to a stable frontier between the United States and Mexico along the Rio Grande River. This was necessary to stem the growing imperialist tendencies of the United States against our Mexican ally. Sadly however, it was also during this intervention that the great Napoleon III died. His son, Napoleon IV, was at that time in Indochina as a military officer for more than 1 year ruled France from Dongnai rather than returning immediately to Paris. This was, of course, unprecedented, but it served to demonstrate to the world the supremacy and stability of the French system. There was little intrigue, and no sense that the government would be anything but stable.”

I was of course quite familiar with the legacy of Napoleon IV as I studied in secondary school at an academy bearing his name. Of course, all school children, especially in French Africa would know him, as he could be called the Father of French Africa.

“Napoleon IV, far from slowing down to consolidate French positions, continued the expansionist policies of his father, providing vast new markets and resources for the rapidly growing French economy. On 5 February 1875 the northern portion of what was to become Cote d’Ivoire had already been claimed and French colonialist continued to press further into the interior, competing with the British for influence with native peoples. The Cameroonian coast was claimed as well. France was well on her way to dominating Africa. Far in the east, the rising Asian power of newly industrializing Japan decided to flex her muscles against Korea. This expansion of course threatened French commercial dominance of East Asia. The swords of war were rattling. French interests in the Far East were growing, but there was not yet sufficient strength of will to pursue full scale war with Japan.

Desirous of securing his European borders, in May 1876 the alliance with Italia was renewed by Napoleon, and in May 1877, the colonial port of Yebuti on the Red Sea coast was completed, giving France a way station to her far east colonies, and strengthening her ability to project naval power around the world.”

The November 1877 parliamentary campaign was the first of Napoleon IV’s reign. He had only recently returned from the Indochina, and he needed to secure his legacy, as well as pacify the liberals in the body politic with some symbolic reforms. He expanded the franchise and passed healthcare reforms with a sympathetic Bonapartist majority but of course retained the right to overturn the elections if need be. The election saw an Orleanist parliamentary majority returned to that though it was a conservative party, tied Napoleon IV’s hands significantly.

Come on, I want to see the French kickin ass on the Pacific. Like IRL only moreso. Japan/China, tremble!