• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had a feeling something would happen with that celebration coming before the final defeat! There may be a last sorties but I’m sure the Shah will still be victorious. Though his hubris in conducting that grand feast (the description of which made me hungry!) in front of the starving enemy has been paid back.
Yeah
It must be a big party popper !
:eek:

Thankyou so much for commenting man.
I read all your comments and I enjoy replying to and reading them
They fuel me further to write more and better.

Chapter 5

Everyone in the Shahi armies watched with bated breath. It was clear that the walls of Achalgarh would open any moment now. It was dawn, 24 May 1205, around 13 months had passed since the first engagement at Lanela and it was finally time for the last. Bijal Singh's poojaris had correctly stated that their would be an auspicious hour at dawn and the defendants would surge out at that point. This had been reinforced by the fact that all spotters and archers on the parpets of the fort had come down, probably to prepare for the fight ahead. It had been confirmed when a bright orange flag had been unfurled on the gates of the fort indicating that there would be no surrender now.

The Shah had devised a plan to defend. He had placed some of his toughest men in the front two ranks almost near the gates of the fort. This was possible because as stated before, there were no archers firing upon them from above. Behind them were his archers, highly trained and armed with arrows and fire. The cavalry and elephants were at the back. The plan was to stop the force of the advance with heavy infantry and then to use the massive numerical advantage to clean up the enemy, negate casualties and try to arrest as many enemies as possible. Presently, the Shah decided to take a round of his ranks on horseback. He went through many different kinds of men.

Turkish soldiers from the original conquest of India by the Ghurids giving war cries of Allahu Akbar, converted Indian muslims trying to emulate them, rich sons of nobles on horsebacks forming the elite wing of the cavalry and finally Bijal Singh's Rajput soldiers chanting 'Jai Chandi' , the same warcry that the enemies used. Suddenly someone from the frontranks shouted loudly followed by a trumpet.

It was time.

The doors creaked first, slowly, then the massive structures opened. From the small initial crack, the Shah could see dozens of figures, not men, but crazed beasts, animals who had nothing left in life but to kill or be killed. All were dressed in saffron. Even before the doors were fully opened, many men poured out of the fort. Then, when the doors were more than half opened, the two youths opening the doors suddenly left the job to charge the Shahi army, so impatient were they for battle !
Their work was completed by someone else and about two minutes later, the doors, now fully opened functioned as the doors of a volcano. A volcano from which raw rage poured out. By this time, dozens and dozens of Chauhan soldiers had already been cut down by precise fire from the Shahi archers. In their opium fueled charge, the Rajputs seemed to have abonded all reason, all sense of military tactics. The only thing spectacular about the scene was the courage displayed by this men as they marched towards a confirmed defeat.

The rest of the battle was simply a massacre and by the time the first Shahi soldiers reached the inner gates of the fort...........there was nobody remaining inside.

14896490915.png

-------------------------------------------------
With one foot on the parpet and another on the intermediate step, the Shah looked inside the citadel. It was worse than a ruin. A ghost town. Not only had the Rajputs themselves burnt most of their vital buildings before attacking but the Shah had given his men 10 hours to raid and loot whatever they wanted from the fort. There was nothing special to raid anyway. The Shah had heard rumours from some of his men after the battle that the Rajputs had thrown their treasury inside some unknown well. But he didn't bother to find it. The first thing that needed finding was a silver lining in this deathly landscape.

7000 men, woman and children had died defending the citadel. Most of them in cold blood. The Shah had managed to capture 1482 men in that final charge, but when given the choice between Islam or death, they had mostly chosen the latter. Though their was a pang of guilt somewhere at the back of his mind, the Shah could not ignore his sense of duty to Allah and the ones who had chosen death had been granted it. The knowledge that he had ordered it to be quick and easy didn't negate the feeling of nothingness one bit.
With this victory, the province of Godwad fell.

yB9J0Lj.png

Report at the battle of Achalgarh. Note that it only shows statistics for Rajput 'Soldiers', active combatants. It does not take into account the countless common men who fought to the death alongside the proper army.

Presently, Mansud announced the arrival of Aladeen Khan. The Shah ordered him to arrive. After bowing to the Shah Aladeen Khan spoke excitedly, his blood still hot from the battle "Your majesty, I have just heard reports that Samar Singh Chauhan has at last saw reason and has sent his eldest son with the offer of peace. He will arrive in a few hours time."

"Good, so finally our desert adventure ends. Allah has granted us a great victory. All this thanks to brave warriors like you Aladeen, you will be rewarded" said the Shah.

"Your majesty is kind" said Aladeen bowing low

"But ultimately you must realize that none of my earthly honours can ever match the honours that Allah will grant you in Jannah(Heaven) for successfully conducting this great Jihad" replied the Shah pointing to the rapidly darkening sky.

"Yes your majesty and I have already made the arrangements to tear down the remaining Hindu temples and fortifications in this citadel as you ordered" said Aladeen Khan pointing to a few workers in the distance plowing away at the walls with their pickaxes.

"Good, what happened in this place was a dark chapter. Better to erase it from existence forever" said the Shah.

"Pardon me majesty, but dark chapter?" asked Aladeen Khan puzzled.

The Shah recovered and replied "We did lose 185 men ourselves, they have reached heaven no doubt, but their earthly responsibilities ended today, that is the dark thing"

Then he ordered Aladeen Khan to take leave. He looked at the reddish purple dusk sky, the moon, slightly yellowish from the last rays of the sun gazing down upon him alone, without any stars. He longed for the soft comfort of Shahzadi Sarica once again. He wanted to be in her arms. He could imagine her beautiful face looking up at him when he heard loud but soft chanting. The Annaz. It was time for prayer, the Namaz. So the Shah got off the parpet and went back up to the camp.

8d50cd1a2ad24005e506a51c94982d04.jpg

Last edited:
Incredibly detailed as I expected, that feast in particular all but made me hungry. The victories are a good start to the AAR.

Expansion looms - we will see what the Shah gets from the settlement. And whether he rests for a while or soon rolls on to another campaign.

Incredibly detailed as I expected, that feast in particular all but made me hungry. The victories are a good start to the AAR.

Thankyou so much for reading my AAR and commenting man. Every time I read comments, I am inspired to write more !
Yes. The feast was a grand affair indeed !

Btw hope your internets been repaired.
Good luck.
Please please keep reading and commenting. Thankyou.
:):):):):):):):):)

Expansion looms - we will see what the Shah gets from the settlement. And whether he rests for a while or soon rolls on to another campaign.

That will soon be revealed Sir !
There is no rest for the ruthless.
;)

Chapter 6

"And that their majesty is the pole star, its glory unmatched by none but the moon in the night sky" said the man pointing towards the still dark dawn sky, 26 May 1205.

The Shah looked on at the man's pointed finger and traced it to the sky. Sure enough, the pole star was still glowing brightly and firmly. This man was talented. The Shah made a mental note to reward him when he finished. Uptil now, the man had taken him through a dozen stars and constellations and he even knew and had different names for the spots on the moon. The man was a petty soldier in Bijal Singh's army and claimed to have a good knowledge of the ancient Hindu texts because he was a Brahmin. Brahmins were generally the priestly class except for some exceptions like this man.

e2266e24cb4f3786c82c688e54168f48.jpeg

The Shah realized that the ancient Hindu texts had studied astronomy in a mindbogglingly deep level. Around 1200 BC, Lagadha, in his work VedƒÅnga Jyotishya, listed several important aspects of the time and seasons, including lunar months, solar months, and their adjustment by a lunar leap month called Adikamasa; Adika means “Extra” and Masa means “Month”. Basically, after every 6 years during which a month spanned about thirty days, an extra month would be added to the calendar. Later Aryabhatta, in his book Aryabhatiya, mentioned that the Earth rotates about its axis, thereby causing what appears to be an apparent westward motion of the stars. He also mentioned that moonshine is reflected sunlight. Aryabhata wrote that 1,582,237,500 rotations of the Earth equal 57,753,336 lunar orbits.

But presently the Shah's attention was on two fronts. While the man was still explaining the antics of the stars just before sunrise, the Shah quietly cast an eye towards the big tent where Bijal Singh and Aladeen Khan were discussing the terms of the treaty with Jayasimha Chauhan(The eldest son of Samar Singh). The tent had been deliberately left open on one side so that the Chauhan prince could see the Shah enjoying, but not meet him. The Shah wanted the Chauhans to realize that they were not equal to him in rank and that the war had been fought because they were raiding Bijal Singh's Satrapies.

Jaysimha Chauhan, already in his 40s was a proud prince. His face was covered with pock marks from some disease and as a result, he wore a mask of gold threads to cover it. He had fought at the battle of Lanela and he was of the faction which had tried to persuade his father to fight till the bitter end. His faction had lost. Nevertheless, it was extremely humiliating that he was forced to sign the treaty with Bijal Singh.

3koNkXt.png

The tact had worked perfectly, the Chauhan prince at first demanded, then requested, then begged to meet the Shah but was stopped humiliatingly by the Shah's attendants.
Eventually, by late morning, Jayasimha signed the treaty and started making arrangements to take leave of the camp.

According to the terms of the treaty, the Chauhans ceeded the towns of Dabhal, Lachari, Hadetha and the entire province of Satyapura to Bijal Singh's Satrapy. They also agreed to stop any and all raids into Ghurid territory and that if any of the terms of this treaty were broken, then the Ghurid empire had a valid reason to attack again. They also agreed that any attack on Ghurid territories by minor hill chieftains, Bhils(Tribals) and robber gangs from Chauhan territory were to be considered as breaches of this treaty.
Shortly afterwards, the prince left. Everyone in the Shahi camp expected a grand celebration and even dressed in ornate clothes, but all they got was the order "March back home at quick pace !".

Outside the room, an impatient man walked to and fro, his face red and teary. He was surrounded by twelve or so ladies, young girls to old woman. They were all suggesting different things to him to gift. One old woman suggested a gold necklace, another young girl, barely of 16 suggested something more adventurous, a pair of silk stockings. Yet another middle aged woman suggested a huge bunch of fresh roses of different colours. Even as they suggested, attendants brought the things. But this man couldn't decided in the world. He continued to pace to and fro. The woman all grinned.

Suddenly the man heard some movement from the room. He quickly hid behind a large vase like a common thief. A woman came outside, she looked at the faces of the other woman and wondered why they were smiling at her. Then she looked at the various assortments of gifts in the hall outside the room and smiled knowingly. In a deliberately high pitched voice she declared "All these gifts are fine, but I don't like any one of them" .

The man's face fell. His eyebrows stooped low.

"I want a different gift" said the woman.
"Wait, let me take it" saying so, she daftly sprinted towards the vase and went into the arms of the Shah. He smiled and put his right arm around her waist. The whole group of woman in the Imperial Harem cheered and clapped. The woman gave one stern eye to them all and they disappeared in different directions, vacating the hall outside her room.

Then the Shah looked at her and exclaimed "Sarica !"

EYyt5FU.png

She led him inside the room dragging his muscled hand with both of hers. She was about to pour some Rose Sherbet for him but he wouldn't let go of her. She playfully broke free from his grasp and poured the Sherbet in the sharp Crystal glass that she had acquired from a Tangier trader. He had sat down on the rich mattress in the middle of the room. She placed the Sherbet in his hands. He accepted it and was about to take a sip when a flood of emotions hit his soul. He kept the glass down and rested his head on her lap.

"Without you my dear, the days and nights have felt emptier than a shell" said the Shah in a highly emotional half-crying voice. This was the same man who was a ruthless tiger on the battlefield.

He further pleaded "I am sorry that I left without seeing you"

"Oh, wipe those tears, now we are united again, there is nothing to apologize my dear" said the Shahzadi.

He was about to say something else but the flood of emotions hit again and he buried his face deeper into her lap. She put her palm on his head caressing it. He still laid silent. For in the heavenly comforts of her lap, he forgot all the hardships and wounds of the cruel earthly world of men. The Shah was back home.

The Shah wouldn't have known of it then, but at the same time, in far-away Kunduz, the Shahanshah Shahbuddin's hakims were hard at work. The sovereign of the Ghurid empire had got the plauqe and his face had blackened and shrivelled like a dried leaf !
Change abound !

MuhammadGhori_22929.jpg

Shahanshah Shahbuddin Muahmmed Ghori.

Last edited:
Please please comment people !
I love comments.
Thanks !
Haha, you posted at midnight my time. :D

A successful settlement, joyous homecoming and then a sinister hint at the end. A succession crisis? Civil war? Who is the Shahanshah’s heir? All will be revealed no doubt.

That’s a high quality AAR we’ve got here. Will follow !

Thankyou so much man !
I am honoured.
:):):):)

Haha, you posted at midnight my time. :D

A successful settlement, joyous homecoming and then a sinister hint at the end. A succession crisis? Civil war? Who is the Shahanshah’s heir? All will be revealed no doubt.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting Bullfilter!
I love comments.
Let's see how the Shahanshah's health does !
His hakims are fighting on the battlefield.
:D:D:D:D

Interesting choice of location and liking what I've read so far. Very atmospheric. :)

Fearsome on the battlefield, emotional with loved ones. Nothing wrong with letting your guard down when you're home.

Interesting choice of location and liking what I've read so far. Very atmospheric. :)
Thankyou so much for reading and commenting man !
Its so good to have you on board.
Yeah, I first tried writing a Sicily AAR, but when i found that i wasn't enjoying it, I quit and started this one.
Glad that y'all like it.

Fearsome on the battlefield, emotional with loved ones. Nothing wrong with letting your guard down when you're home.
Very true, very true.
Thankyou so much for commenting man.
I love comments, comments help me continue on. Comments are like fuel to me.

makes for a Saladin alike character indeed
Maybe. I haven't really read about Saladin tbh.

Thankyou so much for commenting man. I wasn't gonna write a chapter today, but see what your commenting has done,
Its inspired me to write one !!!!!

Thankyou man
Please please keep reading and commenting man.

Chapter 7

From the large window of his throne room, the Shah sighed and looked up towards the port in the distance. The Armail palace was easily the tallest building in the capital of Armail. It had been built just a few paces from the Armail port and all buildings between the palace and the port were strictly not allowed to be bigger than a certain limit lest the Shah lose his view of the mighty sea from its upper floor.

It was now January 1206.

The Shah was holding private meetings from various groups in the realm who had all been waiting for his arrival back home. Sometimes he thought that it was better out there in the desert, on the battlefield, atleast there he knew for sure who his enemies were. Since the morning, he had met with more than a dozen nobles, traders and even a few common people. Of the whole lot, he preferred the last group. Their problems, though the biggest were also the most straightforward and solvable. Now the Shah was taking a short break before the next stream of visitors came around. The best way to relax the mind was to see the port, and what a great port that was !

23722648.jpg

The port of Armail was a big place and Arab Dhows were to be seen aplenty.
An Arab Dhow was a slender but sturdy ship which was unquestionable the best option to sail the Arabian sea.

Sindh itself was like one giant port. All the traders and Muslim pilgrims going to the Haj or to various corners of the world from India or all the ships coming to India made a stop here for rest or buying materials or for repairing their ships. All this generated an enormous amount of tax income. Even as the Shah watched, he could see hundreds of Dhows(Arabic ships) stationary or moving in and out of the port all the way to the horizon. He could see the port authorities, the guards, the labourers, the travellers and most fascinatingly the foreigners too.
His thoughts were interrupted by Mansud who saluted him and reminded "Majesty, you asked me to remind you when your break time ends. It ends in 1 minute majesty"

"Thankyou, who wants to see me now?" asked the Shah.

"Inam Mir Ummah your majesty" replied Mansud.

"Send him in then" ordered the Shah

Mansud went out the door. The Shah straightened his robes out and pressed his knuckles over each other. Then, he looked sideways towards the Jali screen. He knew that beyond the Purdah curtain Sarica and his beloved three year old son Shahzade must be watching. The Jali screen was a curtain made with such fine work that those behind it could see everything but those on the other-side couldn't see anything inside. It gave complete view and privacy to the woman so that they could watch the proceedings of the court should they wish.

25.jpg

A Jali screen

The Shah had specifically ordered that Shahzade always be present to court even as a baby. He was his only heir and even his name 'Shahzade' meant 'The Prince'. The Shah wanted him to experience the feel of the court from a young age. Another two years and he would graduate to appearing on the other side of the Jali screen.

Presently Mansud announced the arrival of the Inam. The Shah ordered him in.

The Inam saluted the Shah who welcomed him with a smile "Welcome Inam Mir Ummah, hope you are in good health"

"Yes your majesty, thanks to your gracious rule there is peace in the land even in your absence and our community has prospered" said the Inam.

"Good, what brings you here today?" asked the Shah.

"I come on behalf of the Ulema(Islamic scholarly community) your majesty, your great Jihad on Satyapura was highly pious and we have just one request" replied the Inam.

"Speak" said the Shah

"Now that Satyapura is in the hands of Islam, we request that you destroy all the temples there and build a large Mosque in the center of the town" said the Inam.

The Shah's face fell. This was a tricky request.

He replied after one whole minute "Ideally that should happen Inam, however you well know that we can't risk displeasing the Hindu subjects, not at this critical hour. I need to just consolidate and..............."

"Well, pardon me your majesty, if that is the case then I atleast urge you to destroy the main Hindu temple of Ganesha in the center of Satyapura and build a mosque there" said the Inam quickly.
Sindhis were well known for their business acumen. The Inam was using a classic technique, make a huge demand on the first try, then tone it down a bit to get what you actually want so it seems milder.

"Yes, that can be done, I will give the orders to Bijal Singh right away. I will unfortunately enough have to give him some worldy compensation, but that is unavoidable in this current political atmosphere. But he has proven that if we pay him, he will agree and if any other Hindus contest, they will be punished" said the Shah.

"Thankyou your majesty, you are indeed pious, not a day goes by without we praying for your good health to Allah at Namaz" said the Inam.

"The feeling is mutual Inam" said the Shah.

The Inam began to cough and requested for water. Mansud immediately brought a cup. The Shah took this moment to speak on a different issue

"On another matter, didn't your brother Hashim visit the imperial court of Kunduz last month. What is the news?" asked the Shah curiously.

"Its dire your majesty, Hashim said that the Sultan is suffering. He is completely bedridden and his whole body, once muscled and huge has been reduced to skin and bones. He eats very little and the Hakims do not give any good news. Day by day his condition is deteriorating all that we can do is to pray. It is after all Allah's wishes that govern this world. Maybe Allah is testing the great soul" replied the Inam.

"Indeed, nevertheless I hope he gets better" said the Shah.

Afternoon, at lunch, the Shah was back in his private quarters with Sarica who had personally overseen the kitchen preparations as she always did. The Shah enjoyed it of course and complimented her. Then suddenly he remembered something

"Sarica, I have been meaning to ask you something ever since I returned from my campaigns, but keep forgetting. What did you hear in the woman's world? Did you hear anything unusual or interesting?" asked the Shah smiling.

"Nothing out of the ordinary my love. Some gossips here and some rumours there. But yes, I heard from Yildiz, that her husband Aladeen Khan, while content and respectful of you, hopes of getting his own title sometime in the fututre" replied Sarica.

"Hmm, that is a very important information that you have given me. It is indeed something to think about. Three year old Shahzade is techincally the ruler of almost all of northern Sindh and some villages in Lower Punjab but Aladeen Khan, though a senior general is living on my salary. I can understand. Nevertheless I have my plans for him" said the Shah while taking a sip of the delicious Kadhi, a thick gravy eaten with rice and based on chickpea flour containing vegetable and fish fritters called pakoras, to which dahi(Curd) is added to give it a creamy rich taste.

Gujarati-Kadhi-Recipe.jpg

Kadhi

Sarica did not reply. She had her opinions about politics, but she was smart enough to keep them to herself. Besides, she did not want to discuss politics in their personal quarters. The Shah's private palace was a safe haven, a refuge from the constant beatings of the outside world. Sarica's main mission was to keep it that way. Her husband had much pressure on his mind and soul already. She didn't want it to seep in here too. So she continued watching with love until he had finished his meal and then clapped her hands to order the attendants to bring the water basin.

Last edited:
Something tells me your neighbors won't care for that little request from the Inam.

Something tells me your neighbors won't care for that little request from the Inam.
We can only hope they do
After all they have seen what happens to those who cross the Shah

Thankyou so much for commenting man !
Thanks.

I expect a mission to convert the populace from their disbelieving ways could come in the future. For now, it sounds like the Sultan’s rapidly deteriorating health is a far more immediate concern. Liked the picture of the dhows and the little touches with the screen and food.

I expect a mission to convert the populace from their disbelieving ways could come in the future. For now, it sounds like the Sultan’s rapidly deteriorating health is a far more immediate concern. Liked the picture of the dhows and the little touches with the screen and food.
Yeas. His health.
Historically it created a big mess
Let's hope we can avert that

Thankyou so much for commenting man !
You have made me very happy today