• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

noobeless

Captain
81 Badges
May 10, 2014
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
Hi everyone.

I have before made an AAR about Denmark, but I never finished it and I deleted the save file by accident. So now I will start an AAR anew.

I will play as Denmark and do my best to win the Second world war. I will start preparing Denmark as soon as possible, but I have these limitations.

1. I must stay democratic
2. I am not allowed to declare any wars.

My game settings are.
All game changing DLC's are enabled.
Version = 1.10.1 (Collie)
Historical focus = On.
Custom game rules = Default.
Difficulty = regular.

Let us see how it goes.

Chapter 0 Introduction "Denmark in 1936"
Chapter 0
Denmark in 1936

The Army.
The army consist of 5 Divisions made out of 39 Battalions.

The Danish army is currently small and underequipped, it does not stand a chance against the German army.

The Navy.
flåde.PNG

The Danish navy is made out of 2 Heavy cruisers and 5 outdated submarines. Too small and old to make a big impact.

The Airforce
flyvevåben.PNG

Denmark have a small "air force", but it is tiny and only consist of 34 outdated planes.

The state of the Nation
gennerelle.PNG

Denmark is a stable country, with a small industry and low war support. If Denmark's small industry is going to make an impact, Denmark must use its industry wisely. The industry consist of 2 Military factories, 2 dockyards and 6 civilian factories.

politik.PNG

Denmark is a Democratic nation, with an export oriented civilian economy and military Service is only voluntarily.

Denmark and its neighbours.
Denmark.PNG

Denmark is placed as the gateway to the Baltic sea. It's biggest neighbour is Germany, a fascist dictatorships with ambitions of getting revenge against the old Entente and Crush the Soviet Union. Germany's ambitions makes Denmark valuable for conquest.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1 Landet i Hitlers skygge
Chapter 1
Landet i Hitlers skygge

Klokken 12:00 Christiansborg Statsministerens kontor.

Statsminister Stauning have called a meeting. The Agenda, how to defend Denmark from a potential German Invasion. The meeting is top secret. The participants in the meeting are
Statsminiser Thorvald Stauning (A) (Prime minister)
Udenrigsminister Peter Rochegune Munch (B) (Foreign minister)
Forsvarsminister Alsing Andersen (A) (Minister of Defense)
Øverste hærchef Erik With (Supreme chief of Army)
General William Wain Prior (General)

The meeting is classified as Top secret and only authorised individuals are allowed to read the document.
Prime Minister Stauning: Generalstabens efterretningssektion (G.E) have acquired intelligence, that proves that Germany is remilitarizing and preparing for war. The new German regime does not respect Denmarks sovereignty and may invade Denmark, in order to take Northern Schleswig from us. Therefore we must prepare for war, in order to defend our nation. Andersen, what is the state of Denmarks defence capabilities?

Defence Minister Andersen: We have 5 Divisions, they are underequipped, if Germany invade Denmark today, we will not be able to defend Denmark. Therefore we must prepare some defences. We can not mobilize Denmark for war, as our citizens will not support any kind of militarization. But we can focus on expanding Denmarks industry, that will gives us a bigger capability to build fortifications and military factories.,

Foreign Minister Munch: We must be careful, if we provoke Germany before we are ready, they will just Invade us. We must also remember, we can not fight against Germany alone, its army is too big for our small country. If we are going to prepare for war, we must find some allies.

Prime Minister Stauning: Your comment is noted Foreign minister, but I still think it is better to remain neutral and aim for armed neutrality, just as Switzerland. We can just hope Germany will focus on some bigger fish and leave us alone. We still need to make plans to defend against a German invasion.

Army leader With, can you show us the war plands?

Supreme hief of army With: Here it is prime minister. Me and Prior have come up with 3 defence plans. I have written the plans here, I will hand over the documents.

Forsvarsplaner.png

Black = "Defence" plan Berserk, Red = Defence plan Vogter, Green = Defence plan "Fars bælte"

Plan Berserk. (Black)

The Plan: The plan is to attack German positions and push them to the Kiel canal and then fortify a defence line along the canal.

Advantages:
The Keil canal will provide a natural Defence.
Tanks can't swim.
Prevents the German navy from entering or leaving the Baltic sea, as Denmark will control the Danish straits and contest control of the Keil Canal.
Denmark will retain control of Jutland, which means control of more manpower and industry backing the Danish army.
Can be aborted quickly, if not possible.

Disadvantages:
Will require an offensive against a superior enemy, which can lead to devastating losses and a quick German counter offensive.
Not possible to fortify the position in Peace time.
The plan is extremely risky to execute, as long as there are German soldiers present at the Danish-German Border.
With the forces committed at the Kiel Canal, there will be few men to defend the ports of Denmark, making the country vulnerable to Naval invasions.

Plan Vogter

The plan: Fortify the border against Germany and prevent them from taking any Danish territory.

Advantages:
Fortifications along the border can be build in peacetime.
Denmark will retain control of Jutland, which means control of more manpower and industry backing the Danish army.
Denmark and its potential Allies will still have control over the Danish Straits.

Disadvantages:
Requires big investments, in order to fortify the Border
German Tanks will be very effective in the Jutlantic plains and fields, which make the line valuable to German tanks.
A wide front, as Germany can invade the Danish ports form the Sea and encircle the Danish army at the defence line.

Plan Fars Bælte

The Plan: Give up the undefendable Jutland and fortify The eastern part of Lillebælt and make the Danish isles a fortresses defying the German army.

Advantages:
Great neutral defence due to the Strait between Jutland and Fyn.
It is cheaper to fortify than the German-Danish Border.
German Tanks can not swim, making a German amour offense against the defence line less effective.
Fever ports to protect against a naval invasion.
Will be less provocative towards the Germans.

Disadvantages:
We will not have access to Jutlantic industry and manpower.
It will not be possible to reclaim Jutland without the help of foreign powers.
Will make the Danish belts contested, making it impossible to leave the Baltic sea

Prime Minnister Stauning: Thank you for the plan With. Let us not go on with plans too quickly. Let us focusing on expanding the Danish Industry and consider what warplan to follow, when the time comes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good luck with this mission: it is a tough challenge. Looking forward to see which plan you go for. But the first at least sounds improbable.

Chapter 2 "En plan må vælges"
Chapter 2
En plan må vælges.

The 1st of January 1936
The Danish Government have not decided what defence plan to implement yet. So for at start, they will focus on expanding the Danish Industry, infrastructure and Reseach capapilites. As all of these things will expand Denmarks potential war capabilities, without actually militarizing the Nation just yet.
It is also decided to make plans to industrialise Greenland and the Faeroe Islands in case that Denmark will be conquered by a hostile Power.

fokus.png

Technology is one of the few things Germany can not take away from Denmark, so it will be Denmarks fist priority.

1604743772223.png

By investing in Industrial Expansion in Jutland, Denmark will have more industry to construct things in the Future.

1604743949000.png

The entire army and Navy have been ordered to Exercise, in order to get some experience, in order to modenize the Danish army and Navy.

The 12th of Marts 1936
1604744180676.png

The Germans decided that they should be allowed to deploy their army in the Rhineland. It seems that the German focus will be to the west for now.

19th of April 1936

The Italians have finished their conquest of Ethiopia. The last native African nation have now submitted to European Rule. The only independent nation in Africa is now Liberia
1604744500110.png

You still lost the first round Italy and we will never forget that.

The 6th of May 1936.

Denmark have now emprassed free trade, because it does not posses any ressources and needs to import them. This will make construction of new buildings and research even faster.

The 17th of July 1936

Spain have descended into a state of Civil war. The Nationalist and Republicans will now fight against each other, in order to decide the fate of Spain.
1604744981849.png

The civil war have just started and no one knows how it will end.

The 10th of September 1936.
Denmark have assigned Willian Wain Prior to reform the Danish army into a modern force, with the ressources at his disposal.

The 16th of Marts 1937.
Denmark have expanded its war industry, by building more military factories on Fyn.

Denmark now have some ressources at its disposal and it is now time to Decide what Defence plan to implement.
It have been decided to implement Defense plan "Fars Bælte". But also building an intellegence agency, with the Mission. The plan is to fortify the Western part of Fyn around Lillebælt and Fortify Copenhagen, in order to prevent the Germans from Invading the Danish Islands. The Battle in Jylland will be fought by trained Partisans and a resistance movement will be build in Jutland. So that if the Islands falls, the resistance movement will be able to spread from Jutland and the Danish government will then fight on in exile in Greenland.

1604745889528.png

A special department of the Military "The Resistance movement", will be formed in order to fight against the Germans in irregular warfare.

1604746271350.png

Defence plan "Fars Bælte" involves defending Fyn from invasions from Jylland and to protect the Capital from a naval invasion.

Attachments

• 1604743507826.png
    1604743507826.png
    297 KB · Views: 0
  • 1604743764951.png
    1604743764951.png
    381,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Good luck with this mission: it is a tough challenge. Looking forward to see which plan you go for. But the first at least sounds improbable.

That is also why I plan to just Defend the Islands and leave Jutland to the Germans, there is no point in defending an undefendable Position.

Attachments

• 1604746618631.png
    1604746618631.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Chapter 3 "Et farligere sted"
Chapter 3
Et farligere sted

The 21nd of Marts 1937

The Spanish Republicans stands divided, Anarchist in Catalonia have split of from the Republican side, leaving the Nationalist as the stronger and more united side of the conflict
1604746879705.png

Day after day it seems most likely that the Nationalist will win the Conflict, as the Republicans can not stand united with each other.

The 15th of April 1937

Modstandsbevægelsen have been formed. This will be the first step to organise a resistance movement in Jutland

The 5th of May 1937

Herman Dannemand have been assigned as the Leader of Modstandsbevægelsen and is now working on expanding its operations, in order to prepare it for partisan operations.

The 6th of May 1937
1604747530226.png

The Airship Hindenburg have landed in the United States without burning

1604747443959.png

The Chinese nationalist and communist have decided to stand together against a potential Japanese invasion, it is yet to be seen if such alliance is necessary.

The 2th of July
1604747826935.png

The achivements that are possible in the field of aviation is getting more and more impressive.

The 14th of July 1937
1604747999348.png

The communism under the reign of Stalin is now showing its true horrors, no one is safe from Stalins axe.

The 15th of July 1937

Japan have declared war on China. No mater who win, it is likely the balance of Power in East Asia will be changed forever.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 4 "Krigen kommer"
Chapter 4
Krigen kommer

The 1st of December 1937
Italy Claims the Dalmatian coast. But no hostility have yet evolved from this.

The 9th of February 1938
Germany have annexed Austria, giving it full access to Austrias Industry and manpower.
1604749221340.png

What nation will be the next to fall to Germany's ambitions?

The 27th of April 1938

1604749479917.png

The Spanish Civil war is over, the Nationalist won. This regime is friendly to the fascist.

The 1st of May 1938.

Denmark have begun Mobilization of the Economy as the world is getting more hostile and Germany shows ambitions of conquering its neighbors.

1604749636227.png

A war is coming, but are the Danes willing to fight it?

The 7th of September 1938.

Czechoslovakia have ceded the Sudetenland, an area with a German speaking majority.
1604750973220.png

The Czechoslovakian army have lost its only fortifications against Germany.

The 27th of January 1939

Germany gains Memel from Lithuania

The 5th of April 1939
Germany annexed Czechoslovakia and created a Slovakian puppet state.

The Danish Agency are now contacting Czech resistance cells in order to gain experiance of organizing a resistance movement in occupied Territory.
1604751721124.png

A dangerous and risky mission, but it is important to force Germany to commit ressources away form Denmark, in order to spread out their forces.

The 6th of June 1939.
The Mission to Bohemia was a succes and a small resistance group have been founded in Bohemia. This will give Denmark the ability to strenghen resistance movements all over Germany.
1604752014804.png

A great succes, the first step towards the creation of a Danish resistance movement.

The 16th of June 1939
1604752121276.png

Why would two nations that does not border each other need a non aggression pact?

The 23rd of August 1939

Germany gave Poland an ultimatum. Give Danzig back to Germany or there will be war.
Poland chose death. As the Day after, Germany Declared war on Poland

1604752428522.png

This is where the war begin.

The question now remains, who will be spared from this conflict?

• 2Like
Reactions:
A hell of a challenge you have set yourself, so good luck.

Aside from the lack of aerial disasters everything looks fairly historical so far, hopefully the Fars Bælte plan will make a difference.

A hell of a challenge you have set yourself, so good luck.

Aside from the lack of aerial disasters everything looks fairly historical so far, hopefully the Fars Bælte plan will make a difference.

I have tried before, by just holding the Germans at the border.
The German Panzers made short work out of me. So I will try holding the islands this time.

But due to Denmarks small size, I can only hope that the Allies and the Soviets do not fail.

Why would two nations that does not border each other need a non aggression pact?
A very good question - alas, the answer was soon obvious.
But due to Denmarks small size, I can only hope that the Allies and the Soviets do not fail.
:eek::oops: Let us hope that optimism triumphs over probability! I like the resistance and exile plans - especially the carrier pigeons. I do hope these winged heroes end up playing a decisive role! Even if it’s just crapping on Hitler as he struts around conquered territories.

No doubt going to be tough - even just holding on in the islands. Hopefully the UK will be able to send you some help.

No doubt going to be tough - even just holding on in the islands. Hopefully the UK will be able to send you some help.

Yes, there was a time where you just needed to build some forst, but I don't know if it will be enough

Chapter 5 Krigens første vers
Chapter 5
Krigens første vers

The 24th of August 1939

With the outbreak of war in Europe, Denmark is at risk to get involved in war, so let us look at current wars in the world

Asia
The Chinise-Japanese war.

The Chinese-Japanese war is a close one. China fields a bigger army and have a larger manpower poll, but Japans army is better armed, have naval supremacy. It is still too early to conclude anything. the Chinese industry is around the same size of the Japanese, but most of the industry on Japans side are under Japans direct control, where the industry is split among China and the Chinese warlords.

But as long as Japan is fighting in China, surely they would not attack another nation in the meantime. So the Allis will not have to fear the Japanese, so long as the Chinese keeps fighting the Japanese.
KINA.PNG

The war in China is still undecided, the Chinese front have pushed a bit into Manchuria, but the Japanese have taken parts of the Chinese coastline

krig_asien.PNG

The Chinese have suffered significant casualties, but soo have the Japanese, millions have already been killed, captured or wounded to a point where they can no longer fight.

Europe
The German-Polish war

War have come to Europe, the Germans want to conquer its former land in the East, Poland wants to defend its territory and independence, while France and the United Kingdom want to contain German expansion. The war have just begun and no one knows how it will end. But we can analyse the sides in the conflict.

Europe.PNG

The Fighting Powers and their allies. The Axis lead by Germany in Central and southern Europe versus the Allies lead by the United Kingdom in Western and Eastern Europe

As showed on the map, Denmark is right in the middle of the conflict and judging by the German foreign policy, it is wary likely that Germany's neighbours will be dragged into the conflict , which Denmark, unfortunately, is.

On paper, the Allies should be able to win this conflict, they have a larger combined industry, a larger navy, army and the mighty Maginot line and the alps to defend France. Many experts believes Poland will fall, but that the Germans and Italians will not be able to break though the France defensive lines at the Maginot and the natural defence that is the French alps.
krigen_status.PNG

With the larger army and acces to more raw ressources and a larger industry, many experts expect that the Axis will lose and be taken out, once France and England have time to mobilize.

Attachments

• 1605195417873.png
    1605195417873.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 6 Bewegungskrieg
Chapter 6
Bewegungskrieg

The German conquest of Poland
Start date: 24th of August 1939
End date: 5th of October 1939
SidesThe AxisThe Allis
ParticipantsGermany
Slovakia
Poland
France***
The United Kingdom and its Dominions***
Casualties*Germany: 42.3**
Slovakia: 4K
Poland: 282K
*the Casualties are both dead and captured soldiers
**there where fighting at the western front, so the Germans lost a total of 78.000 men During the conquest of Poland
***France and the United Kingdom was not active on the Polish front.

The 30th of August 1939: The Polish City of Poznan have fallen and is now under German control again, after 21 years of Polish control. German armies are also advancing towards Lodz and Warsaw.
1605197094388.png

The City of Poznan have fallen, just 6 days after the start of the conflict

The 31th of August 1939: A small portion of the Polish army got surrounded south of Poznan. It surrendered to the German army the day after.
1605197614491.png

The First pocket of the Polish-German War

The 8th of September 1939: Danzig have been surrounded and is now isolated. Poland does no longer have direct access to the sea, down south, the Germans are advancing to Krakow from the south, exposing a large part of the Polish army, that fight south-east of Krakow.
1939_09_08.PNG

With Danzig Surrounded, it is only a matter of time, before the Germans take the war goal.

1939_09_08_02.PNG

Krakow is now at a exposed situation, with the Germans advancing from both the East and the West.

The 9th of September 1939: The Germans have taken Plock, this the Torun pocket have been made, the Polish army fighting power weakens day after day.
1939_09_09.PNG

The Torun pocket lasted until the 19th of September. Proving that the Polish army fought really hard against the German army.

The 11th of September 1939: Krakow have fallen, which resulted in a minor pocket south-west of Krakow. That pocket lasted 4 days.

The 18th of September 1939: Lodz and Danzig have fallen to the German Army

Minor Things.
The 25th of August 1939: Bulgaria Joins the Axis, it is only a matter of time they join the war

The 27th of August 1939: Denmark start a campaign of war propaganda against Germany, in order to prepare the Danish nation mentally for war.

The 20th of September 1939: Danish Intelligence have discovered that Germany plans to invade France though the Benelux, it seems the plan is to turn the entire German army around the Benelux and overwhelm the French.

The 30th of September 1939: The Polish Capital, Warsaw, is now under the control of the German Army

The 4th of October 1939: With the fall of Radom, the Polish lost the will to resit the Germans, for now.

Attachments

• 1605199466181.png
    1605199466181.png
    990,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7 Godverdomme, een anvaal
Chapter 7
Godverdomme, een anvaal

The German Conquest of the Low countries.
Start Date 6th of October 1939
End Date the 23rd of December 1939
SidesThe AxisThe Allis
ParticipantsGermany
Slovakia
Italy*
France
The United Kingdom and its Dominions
The Netherlands
Belgium
Luxemburg
Total Casualties (also before the start of this campaign)Germany 358K
Italy 50K
The United Kingdom 109K
France 196K
The Netherlands 31K
Belgium 27K
Luxemburg 1K
*Italy joined the war later than the start date of the campaign.

The 6th of October 1939: Germany declares war on the Netherlands, starting the Western campaign of the German-Polish war, The Netherlands joins the Allies the day after.
The 8th of October 1939: Germany declares war on Belgium. Belgium joined the allies in response.
The 10th of October 1939: Germany takes control of Limburg (Maastricht)
The 11th of October 1939: Arnhem have fallen to German hands
The 13th of October 1939: Groningen have fallen to the Germans
The 14th of October 1939: Utrecht have ben captured by the German army, the German army is now closing in to Amsterdam.
The 19th of October 1939: Friesland and the Northern part of North Holland have fallen
1605200802754.png

The north-eastern part of the Netherlans and a small part of Belguim have already fallen to the German army.

The 20th of October 1939: The French army have broken through the westwall and have pushed into Württemberg. (They started before, but I just noticed it now)
1605200990173.png

An attacking French army is a rare sight in 1939, behold it in its full glory.

The 31st of October 1939: Liege have fallen, which means the Germans have crossed the Maas river, the major natural defence of the Low countries.
1939-10-31.PNG

With the fall of Liege, the Germans have to natural obstacles towards Brussels and Antwerpen

The 11th of November 1939: Namur have fallen, the Germans are closing in on the Belgian capital
The 12th of November 1939: Leuven have fallen, now the Germans are also getting close to Antwerpen.
The 22nd of November 1939: Antwerpen have fallen, the Netherlands are now isolated from France.
1939-11-22.PNG

With the fall of Antwerpen, the Netherlands lost the land connection to its allies.
The 24th of November 1939: Eindhoven have been captured by the German army.
The 26th of November 1939: Brussels have fallen, the Belgian army capitulated the day after.
The 6th of December 1939: German panzers have enterred French territory.
The 11th of December 1939: The Netherlands capitulated, but fighting continue in Rotterdam and north of Gent
1939-12-11.PNG

Only scattered resistance from French and British forces are left in the low countries.

The 12th of December 1939: Germany declares war on Luxemburg.
The 14th of December 1939: Germany now occupies all of the Netherlands European territory.
The 17th of December 1939: Luxemburg have capitulated.
The 23rd of December 1939: The low Countries are now under complete German control and the German army is now advancing in full force into Northern France.

The 27th of December 1939: Denmark is now in a state of War.
1939-12-27.PNG

Denmark is now at war, so the defence plan "Fars Bælte" is now activated.

Other events of the war
The 9th of October 1939: the Union of Soviet Socialt Republics occupies Eastern Poland, in accordance to the secret agreements in the Molotov-Rippentov pact.
The 29th of October 1939: The Germans are now planning to invade Denmark and Norway, in order to control the Baltics completely and secure iron imports from Sweden.

Other big world events
The 1st of November 1939: Nanjing have been captured by the Japanese

• 2Like
Reactions:
No phony war this time, all action from the get go. The French push into Württemberg is all well and good, but unless they can threaten Stuttgart or, even better, swing north and threaten the industrial bits of the Rhine Valley it may not be enough to offset the disaster in the Low Countries.

At least the Germans were polite enough to declare war after Boxing Day so everyone in Denmark could enjoy a peaceful Christmas, it may well be their last one for quite a while.

No phony war this time, all action from the get go. The French push into Württemberg is all well and good, but unless they can threaten Stuttgart or, even better, swing north and threaten the industrial bits of the Rhine Valley it may not be enough to offset the disaster in the Low Countries.
It is not going to chance anything in the short term, but Germany have suffered significant casualties. The war is also escalating faster that historically.

At least the Germans were polite enough to declare war after Boxing Day so everyone in Denmark could enjoy a peaceful Christmas, it may well be their last one for quite a while.
We do not celebrate "boxing day" in Denmark. But we have a Christmas holiday at the 26th called "2. juledag" (2nd Christmas day), so you are not far off. Still Germany declared war earlier than I expected, so I am not as prepared as I could be.

Chapter 8 Hæren er klar
Chapter 8
Hæren er klar

State of the Danish army 27th of December 1939

Danmark is now at a state of war, a situation it have spend almost 4 years to prepare for. The Army is ready, the economy is now gearing up for war. The defensive positions at the Danish islands are in place and in Jutland partitans are preparing operations to sabotage the German army in Jutland.

But what kind of challenge are the Germans facing? For such an answer, we need to see what the Danish forces are made of.

The land army

The Danish army is 100k man strong. The army have been reformed and consist of infantry divisions with artillery support. The Danish army have taken lessons from its "partition" in the first world war and have made fortifications, trenches, anti air installations all over the Islands of Fyn, Sjælland, Lolland, Falster, Møn and Langeland. The Danish army is well trained and equipped, but lacks the armour and numbers to launch any kind of Offensive.

The Doctrine.

The Danish army have a small army and a small industry to back it up, so the Danish high command have implemented the "Grand Battleplan Doctrine". Danish war veterans, that served the German Empire in the First world war, have assisted in the Development of the Danish doctrine. It is based on the trench warfare from the western front in the first world war. It focus entirely on defending the Danish islands long enough so that foreign powers, such as France or the United Kingdom can intervene. But with the evolution of the war, it seems unlikely that the French and British can spare units to defend a small and insignificant nation as Denmark is.

Doktrin.PNG

The Danes have learned the shovel is the best weapon, as long as it is supported by machine guns, artillery, anti-air guns and anti-tank guns. Combined warfare is a beautiful thing.

The Divisions

The Danish army have reformed its army structure, it has disbanded its cavalry division, as they do not fit defensive warfare on small islands that well. The Danish army have to kinds of divisions. The new Standard Infantry Divisions, and a Reserve division. The Danish infantry divisions are equipped with anti tank guns and are supported by Artillery and anti air guns. The Danish divisions are trained to dig trenches and capture and use German Equipment.

The Danish army have 7 infantry Divisions and 2 Reserve Divisions that are not fully equipped to the Danish Standard.

Division_s.PNG

The Danish divisions are well rounded and are equipped and trained to handle most situations.

division-r.PNG

The Danish reserve divisions are also well equipped to defend against enemy infantry, but have nothing against armoured units and airplanes.

Landhær.PNG

A short overview of the entire Danish army. Notice the high base entrenchment of Danish forces.

udstyr.PNG

The Danish army have a decent amount of Equipment to replace losses, compared to its size.

Danish defensive lines.

The Danish government have prepared for a German invasion for years and have turned the Island of Fyn into a giant fortress. Ready to face a German attack, military observers calls the line "The Danish Magginot line", but unlike its French counterpart, there is no way around it and it does not defend the entirety of the Danish Nation.
The defence line is called "fæstningsbæltet" and it is the only defensive line that have any chance of Defending the Danish islands, there have been made some minor fortifications around Copenhagen to protect the capital from a surprise attack (lvl 2 fort and lvl 1 coastal fort).

There have also been installed anti-air installations around the Danish islands, in order to take down German bombers. A large Airbase, with a capacity of 2000 airplanes have been made near Kalundborg. There were also plans to make radar installations, but there was no time to build them.

fæstning.PNG

Operation Fars bælte have been executed, only time will tell if the plan will work

Attachments

• division_1.PNG
    division_1.PNG
    935,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 9 Stirrefronten
Chapter 9
Stirrefronten

The 27th of December 1939: German forces are moving into Jutland, the Germans are surprised that there is no resistance in Jutland, many Germans soldiers are starting to believe the Danes will not resist. In many towns they are just met with angry stares, only the German minority in Northern Schleswig greeted the German army as liberators.

05:00 The 28th of December 1939: Northern Schleswig is now under German control, no fighting in Denmark have taken place. At 15:00 the same Day, Germany have declared war on Norway.

The 31th of December 1939: Jutland is now under German control, the plans to supply the resistance with weapons are delayed for now, as it would be too expensive for the Danish army to use the majority of the reserves in such a risky mission.

The 1st of January 1940: The German army have not yet dared to attack The Danish islands, knowing too well that the Islands are too well defended.

The 8th of January 1940: The German army have now looked over the belt for 7 days, no offense have happened yet. The Germans knows attacking the Danish position would only result in major casualties and the Danish army do not have enough men to launch any sort of Attack. The front is starting to be called "Stirrefronten" (The Starring front) and the Danish defence line is starting to be called "Stirrelinjen" (The starring line) by the locals.

So far no German soldier have died to the Danish army and vice versa.

1940-01-08.PNG

The Germans are considering how to crack the Danish forts, but for now the Germans are focused on the Western Front.

The 16th of January 1940: Paris have fallen, the French government capitulated the next day. The reason was there was no way they could hold the advancing Germans coming from the north.
1940-01-16.PNG

This is what 100% capitulation progress looks like. In this round France can only handle losing 30% of its victory points.

The 17th of January 1940: A neutral French state have been founded in the French city of Vichy after the French capitulation. But Free French forces are still fighting and France is now technically in a civil war. Denmark is now the only allied nation that neighbours an Axis nation.

The 21st of January 1940: The Danish Reserves are being mobilised and are now getting the same equipment as the Regular divisions, but just not as trained.

The 16th of February 1940: Due to the lack of fighting, the Danish reserved are now getting trained, so they will be ready to fight as their regular counterparts.

The 27th of February 1940: The Germans have begun the Invasion of Norway, the assault is targeting the cities of Kristianstad and Stavanger.
1605361913731.png

if Norway falls, the Danes will be alone in the Baltics with no way to escape.

The 2nd of March 1940: The Norwegian City of Stavanger have fallen to Italian Forces, the Axis now have a port they can use to supply their trops as they advance into Norway.

The 20th of March 1940: The Soviet have declared war on Finland, due to the fact Finland refused to give the Soviets control of Karelia.

The 21th of March 1940: As it seems that Denmark can Defend against the Germans, it have been decided to expand the civilian industry of Denmark, in order to assist in construction of more defences in Denmark.

Denmark is also executing a plan to supply Jutlandic partisans with weapons in order to inflict casualties to the Germans behind the lines. The Plan is being executed and it is expected that the mission will be complete early summer.
1940-03-21.PNG

Let us hope that the weapons will be but in good use.

The 1st of April 1940: French soldiers under British command have landed in Odense, in order to assist Denmark against the Germans. The situation in Norway is also looking more and more grim over time.

The 4th of April 1940: Oslo have been taken by the German army

The 19th of April 1940: The Soviet Union won the Finnish-Soviet War. The Soviets got their war goals but nothing more.

The 10th of May 1940: The Mission to strengthen the resistance in Jutland was a success, the restance is getting countered by the German army taking harsher measures to keep the civilians in line, reducing compliance in the province.
1605363221685.png

The Jutlandic resistance grows stronger

The 17th of May 1940: Hungary have joined the Axis powers. Danish intelligence also suggest the Germans are going for a naval invasion of Denmark, just at the Danish capital. But the Germans abandoned the plans when they realised, even the Danish capital is fortified enough to hold against a naval invasion.

The 18th of May 1940: Hungary gets Northern Transylvania as a reward for joining the Axis, because the Hungarians joins the war a few hours later.

The 29th of May 1940: Bulgaria got southern Dobruja from Romania, by permission of Germany.

1605363507234.png

With all those concessions Romania have given to the Axis, Romania starts to look small.

The 20th of June 1940: Norway capitulated to the German army. Only Denmark remains "fighting" for the Allies in Europe.
1605363815838.png

The German Empire is growing and have asserted its position in Europe, only the Soviet Union could potentially threaten the new Axis order.

Attachments

• 1940-01-08.PNG
    1940-01-08.PNG
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1605364271440.png
    1605364271440.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions: