• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Eighteen: The Tormentor
Chapter Eighteen: The Tormentor

Derby, 16th October 869

Faced with the might of two viking leaders, Burghræd of Mercia decided to face the lesser evil, or at least who seemed to be so. Halfdan had crushed his army not long ago and was the one with far more men at his disposal anyway, so the Saxon king chose to face Ubbe.

But the number of troops at his disposal was hardly encouraging. The last two years had been very costly, and drained most of his kingdom's fighting force, while any bigger town had a higher death rate over the course of a year than Ubbe's army during the campaigns in Gwynedd and Cornwall.

To make things worse, the king himself wasn't present on the soon-to-be battlefield – he tried to inspire resistance against Halfdan's host, advancing on Lindsey. So it was a random soldier that was tasked with facing Ubbe – the ranks of his commanders thinned out in the Ragnarrssons' invasion, the man's lead quality was to have survived a battle against the Norsemen with a permanent mark. Burghræd might have hoped that the sight of the mask would stand as a reminder or an encouragement of the Mercians.

Surprisingly (or not so), the strategy didn't work. Eadwald, the Mercian commander, took lead of the left flank and tried to stop the Norse shieldwall with arrows, only to be overrun by Þorsteinn's light cavalry, while the bulk of Ubbe's forces advanced mostly unhindered. The melee was short, brutal, and ended with a the Mercians shattering into all directions. Still, they had achieved more success than the Cornishmen, taking down one Norseman for five Saxons.

uJCbMIu.jpg

Chester, February 870

“So they are taking the offensive.” Arnfast of Lowther had delivered the news – and some rumours – personally, and so Ubbe had convoked a meeting with his advisors, who had all joined him in his camp earlier than the treasurer. While little managed to drive him out of Lúnborg, but a Mercian army setting up a siege was one of those things. Arnfast claimed it better to entrust the defence with proven warriors rather than himself.

“Ridiculous. What do the Mercians dream of accomplishing there?” Härek scoffed.

“Do not underestimate the power of a symbol”, Inwær, who had accompanied Örvar, answered. Ever since his disillusionment, his insight into Christian Saxon thinking made his opinion valued by more than just the left hand. “If Lúnborg falls, it might turn out to become one – that you Norse can be driven out of Britain.”

“While abandoning the defence of your own land and running from the enemy”, the giant grunted. “I doubt many will see it as a symbol.”

Anlaufr smiled at the irony. The seer had heard of Härek's reputation. “You underestimate the power of faith.”

Þorsteinn nodded, but the Nordlander wasn't convinced. “Or you overestimate it.”

“I assure you that we do not. I have seen the effects of zeal and belief first-hand, and it can drive people to do a lot.” Inwær inclined his head pensively.

“The Christian is not wrong, for once”, Þorsteinn agreed. “I have seen berserkers kill dozens more foes in Odin's name despite having suffered wounds that should have downed them long before.”

“And does entrusting an accomplished, incapable loser with this siege raise the importance of the symbol?”

“Of course”, the three answered in unison.

“Then we would truly be lost!” Laughter spread across the advisors.

It was Steinn who returned to serious business first. “All this talk of symbolism, and yet I see a far bigger one – Burghræd's absence. How can this Saxon king claim to stand against us if he sends his underlings to face us instead of doing it himself, this oh so brave man? Instead he sends a fool to stand against us! Another chicken to the ravens, I say!”

Þorsteinn agreed. “This is the way of the crucified god. They claim to reign in their god's name, but lack the real strength to do so. How can he call himself king if he doesn't lead his men personally? We know who we follow.”

“And I know who I trust”, Ubbe proclaimed. “Just as I cannot be in two places at the same time. Lúnborg's in good hands. We'll seize Chester, then relieve the siege.”

He looked at Steinn. “And for my right hand, I have another task.”

pyUu5rF.jpg

Chester, April 870

“We stand no chance anyway. Understandable that some might want to save their hide.”

“At the cost of all of us!”, another woman countered. “These traitors, what are they going to do? Watch and laugh as our houses are burnt down, our men killed, we raped by these pagan swine? They are the lowest of scum, how can you even think of defending them, Ælfwynn!”

The named Ælfwynn forced a smile of compassion on her face. “What would you do for your family, Cwenburg? They are trying to save their loved ones, more than themselves.”

Another of the women was clearly siding with Cwenburg. “And all that just to die under the heathen scourge afterwards – what else do they know but violence? They may save themselves, the heavy weight of betrayal on their shoulders, just to be killed later on a whim of their new masters. It is a folly!”

“As if it would be better now, Mildrith. Have we been able to sleep fully sated even just once ever since the Norse arrived? We are suffering. My husband, he just returned from Northumbria, and he says he should rather have stayed there. Life remains hard, but the harvest is safe. Who is to say we won't all starve?”

“Isn't it better to starve rather then serve the heathen?”

“But don't you also serve the heathen if you are his victim? If we persist, alive, we might be able to enlighten him, put him on the right path.”

“Wait – how did your husband return from Northumbria?”

“He was a captive of the Norse. Until he was released. Sometimes, cooperation opens paths.” A bell tolled. Not a sign of attack, but a welcome sign for Ælfwynn, who used the distraction to make her getaway, quickly vanishing from the sight of the others. The eye and ear of Ubbe smiled to herself as soon as she left, having planted yet another seed of doubt. All these seeds won't take long to blossom and further break Saxon resolve. Now, what would be her next identity?

YLffK04.jpg

“It is war. Against a superior force. A pragmatic decision.”

“Yet I see that it nags at you”, Anlaufr grinned. “You are trying to legitimate their decisions, your whole faith. It isn't the first time.”

Inwær sighed. Ever since his suspicion towards the seer was left unfounded, he often found himself in discussion with him. “Love your next – that doesn't mean betray him.”

“Nor suspect him, Saxon”, Anlaufr added not without some enjoyment. “In the end, they all see that power is what has to be recognized. Undefended wealth finds its way into the strongest pockets.”

“Instead of being shared around.”

“The contrary of what your robber priests are doing, my friend. They see that people suffer even more now, but they keep thieving, for solely their own benefit.”

While the raids on their hideouts and the deterring efforts through the punishment were effective in their own right, Jorunn had declared that whatever the priests were stealing had to be paid again, until the gold found its way into Ubbe's coffers. Some peasants ended up ruined and as an example for the thieves, who continued on their merry path unimpressed.

“They are not my brethren. They have never been. In Lindisfarne, we followed the Lord's will.”

“All of you? Or were you already preparing? For now?”

“To show you the light one day, I learned your language”, Inwær answered, but without conviction in his voice.

Anlaufr noticed that. “Are you sure? Not preparing for the life after the monastery?”

“There was no life after.”

“Then you are dead. Looks like you are unlucky – even in your afterlife, us heathens are still around.”

The Saxon gave him a pained, tired look. “I just... couldn't imagine it.”

“Imagine that what you have been taught, indoctrinated in is wrong. This is not your crucified god testing your faith. And even if it was, you would have lost.”

“When you say things like these, I worry that you sent Hafrid after me.”

“And why would I care for Örvar's pet monk? Your influence is coupled with the left hand's, and it had plummeted since her discovery – while mine rises.” After a small prideful pause, he acted more like a big brother. “And you know her better than I do.”

“A simple sinner who has broken his vows.”

“Vows gain their worth through trust or power. One has to trust, for else the vow is not made in earnest. Or one needs power, in fear of the consequences of breaking the vow. Towards Ubbe and the gods, I have both. Towards your dead god, you have none. No trust, for you have seen the dark side of his followers. No power, for else, well...”

“I see where you are going – again.”

“Not hard, considering that I've been doing this for months. I simply await the day you finally realize it as well.”

Inwær took the cross, usually hanging around his neck, into his hand.

“You are living among us. Support us. Married one of us. For your people, you are one of us. And your faith is as dead as the god it is directed at. I wonder if you ever truly believed. Or if you merely managed to trick yourself into believing it.” Anlaufr extended his hand. “Give it to me.”

The Saxon had thought about it. A lot. And in the end... Ubbe's seer was right. He handed over his cross, and Anlaufr pocketed it.

kNySF7B.jpg

Nantes, April 870

Well, we aren't exactly beloved, but they call him 'the antichrist', 'Satan's spawn' or, my favourite, 'evil incarnate'.” Arnfast's words spooked through Steinn's head as his snekkja neared Nantes, the stronghold of the feared Hæsteinn.

He might have subdued the Bretons a bit too forcefully though. Or not enough, depending who you ask. They all banded together, intent on throwing him back into the sea.”

Thousands upon thousands would be besieging Nantes, Hæsteinn in there with less than a hundred fighters. But that they wouldn't dare to come close to him.”

The mayor's rumours were enough for Ubbe to send Steinn south. If he could get such a warrior, a living legend, to join him! With all that talk of symbolism, this would be a major one for Ubbe himself. But with the man's reputation, he thought that sending his right hand was a better choice than his left. "Örvar would probably end up boiled and eaten", Arnfast had remarked, before categorically excluding to go himself.

Steinn wasn't sure what to expect. Of course the rumours were exaggerated – perhaps Hæsteinn was already dead, and nothing but arrows would await him in Nantes. Or weren't they? The town was still under siege as he arrived, at least.

It didn't take long for the snekkja to be spotted, by obviously Norse men, who made no attempt to stop it. A disfigured man with a mad, bloodthirsty grin greeted Steinn as he disembarked, few other men around. “Here to join the slaughter? Not too late, boys! Come with me!”

“And what if I wanted to plunder this town?”

“Feel free to try. Hæsteinn will be glad for the new skulls, I would welcome the practice. Besides, it would perhaps draw the cowards out there closer. So by all means!”

The man was either completely mad or too sure of his leader and himself. And Steinn respected that. “Help it is, then.”

He led Ubbe's men into the main hall. A place exuding an aura of dread. Two Breton nobles were impaled at both sides of the entrance – headless –, and Hæsteinn's sight was of the kind to cause running as a first instinct.

The hall was decorated with all kind of plunder. From the realms of the Moors, Franks, Italians, Arabs, Greeks... according to the rumours, also from Miklagard and Rome. The grim men around their leader clearly looked the part capable enough for such raids, burly men with their weapons never far from their reach.

Hæsteinn himself sat on an imposing throne, on a bear's hide which covered something looking like bone. The massive, armoured man rested his hands on two skulls, a skeletal blood-eagle behind him. “Reinforcements, merely passing by or would-be-raiders?”

Steinn took in the sight some more before answering. “Neither. An offer.”

“Interesting. Give the man some drink!”

It didn't take long for a young Breton girl to appear, and to hand Steinn a skull filled with a red liquid. Hæsteinn soon also held one, raised it to his lips and let the wine flow into his mouth, drinking it all. He set the skull down with a grin and watched his guest. Ubbe's right hand copied his host's movement.

The leader of Nantes laughed. “People speak. And if it pleases me, it becomes truth. They say I reign on a mountain of their bones. I sit on their bones. They say I drink from their skulls. So I drink from their skulls. They say I randomly pick villagers to flay. That I sacrifice children to 'my demonic gods' in front of their parents, before blinding them. That those who fall into my hands alive would prefer the apocalypse to me. The result? Look over the wall. Too scared to even be near me.”

“And they stand there.”

“Short and sharp. You have guts.” He handed the empty skull to a shivering Breton, then focused his eyes back on Steinn. “And I like that. Yes, it's probably why they chose to die here. But you did not come for the drink, nor the chat. You have an offer? If it can help me not to have to deal with these pesky cowards any more, you have my ears.”

“I am Steinn Eyjolfsson, and I come to speak on behalf of Ubbe Ragnarrsson.”

“One of the conquerors of Englaland. Sad thing I missed Ælla's end. I had my own blood-eagles, but none had that satisfying feeling of revenge with them. At least none on that scale.” His men chuckled. “Then, Steinn Eyjolfsson, what does he have to offer?”

“Ubbe offers you a part in Englaland's conquest. Lots of battle, glory and wealth.”

“Don't I already have it? All this”, he stretched his arms around his hall, “had to come from somewhere. Why would I give it up?”

“I thought you'd wanted to get rid of these pesky cowards.” This drew another chuckle in the hall.

Hæsteinn's features hardened though. “But not of my hall. Nantes is mine, and Hrolfr, back here”, He designated the skeletal blood-eagle with a movement of his head, “knows how much I hate to part with what is mine.”

“If you are satisfied to sit on your wealth with nothing else to do but watch at the Bretons you have made to hate you.”

“I am not. They fear me more than they hate.” As if to prove his point, he shouted at the one who had handed him his wine. “Just look at them!”

Unlike the Breton, Steinn remained steadfast. Shaking his head in disappointment “The man who sacked Rome... satisfied as he scares some peasants from the safety of his walls.”

The massive man rose from his throne. “Are you c-c-calling me a c-c-coward?” With his stuttering manifesting, Hæsteinn slammed his fist on the right skull, shattering it. Blood began to trickle down his hand. “Damn Hel's c-c-curses!” He shouted, bloody fist raised. Then, his attention returned to Steinn, and he grinned. “Tr-tr-truly, I like your guts. Now, w-w-why should you not r-r-replace Konan?”

“With Ubbe, you would be able to prove your skills again. Grow your legend even more. Leave the Bretons behind.” He signalled one of his companions forward, who held a small chest, revealing its golden contents. “Some compensation for the loss of Nantes.”

KXcYGHO.jpg

“I can leave and f-f-forge my destiny any time, as I have d-d-done so before.”

“You don't want that, or you would have already done so. You don't want to abandon Nantes, stain your legend with a defeat.”

Hæsteinn lowered himself back into his seat. “In th-th-this you have a p-p-point at least, Eyjolfsson. Then why d-d-don't you head to Scandinavia in my name, and b-b-bring me the men I need to e-e-end that rabble? I never h-h-had anyone to spare. We w-w-will make even greater raids in the f-f-future.”

Steinn was visibly surprised. “I have sworn to follow Ubbe. Since my childhood. As much as I admire your persistence, I cannot.”

“W-w-worth a try. Ubbe inspires s-s-such loyalty, then, that you won't even j-j-join me. Your o-o-offer is intriguing.” He looked around. “W-w-what say, boys? Shall we join R-r-ragnarr's sons? Bathe in Saxon blood?”

Steinn's mad guide was the first to shout his approval. “Better than to wait for the Bretons to grow some balls!” The whole hall was soon howling.

“There you have your answer, Steinn Eyjolfsson. But I have my conditions. Your leader will get to know them soon enough.”

Nantes was soon bustling with activity, with Hæsteinn's men readying his ships, carrying his wealth. The Tormentor, as the Bretons had taken to call him, didn't intend to leave his town in the hands of the mob without a parting gift though. Or leave it in their hands at all.

Some of his slaves would accompany him, but the rest should stay permanently. Hæsteinn crucified most of the survivors on the walls, then set the pitiful rest free. As they ran towards their countrymen, arrows felled half of them. Would they turn around, they would see the image which should burn itself into their countrymen's memory – the walls set on fire, the wailing of the men, women and children as the flames licked up their bodies. This Nantes would not be taken by the Bretons, but disappear. The Tormentor was on his way – and he would leave nothing behind but death, ash and terror; the same things he was about to bring to England.

Ido760U.jpg

The war is going well, more of your court is converting to Germanic, and you've invited the... colorful Hæsteinn the Torturer. I'm sure he'll be useful.

Soon Saxon Christianity will be a memory.

You sure find quite the capable commanders for your armies just hanging around waiting to be called to court. So much potential that only Ubbe seems to recognize.

Good to see that some of Ubbe's Christian subjects are starting to stray from the path. Ruling them will be easier if they assimilate.

Slowly wearing down the Saxons. Though unless they get Germanic religion reformed, I suspect it will be more of a trickle of change, rather than a wave.

But Mercia is looking defeated already. That "general" was rather pathetic (and would rather command the flank than the center, tsk tsk).

Great episode! :) Loved the interplay with Inwaer leading up to his conversion - very Vikings. ;) And getting Haesteinn as a commander to join the court? Well, as you implied and others have said, the Saxons of Englaland are in for a very torrid time. Only their Crucified God can save them now - and he seems to be leaving it to free will! :eek:

The war is going well, more of your court is converting to Germanic, and you've invited the... colorful Hæsteinn the Torturer. I'm sure he'll be useful.
"Colorful" is such a... fitting word for him :p. Hæsteinn is definitely going to play a role in the future.

Soon Saxon Christianity will be a memory.
If everything works well, it will be. Though he'd need the assistance of his brother in Scandinavia for that.

You sure find quite the capable commanders for your armies just hanging around waiting to be called to court. So much potential that only Ubbe seems to recognize.

Good to see that some of Ubbe's Christian subjects are starting to stray from the path. Ruling them will be easier if they assimilate.
Not this time, with good old Hæsteinn of Nantes. I've kept my eyes on him, and took the chance as the Bretons revolted. If anyone knows how to conquer a realm, then it's him, the man with the unlimited potential.

Assimilation may not be an active goal, but a welcome one. And it proves Inwær's loyalty, at least.

Slowly wearing down the Saxons. Though unless they get Germanic religion reformed, I suspect it will be more of a trickle of change, rather than a wave.

But Mercia is looking defeated already. That "general" was rather pathetic (and would rather command the flank than the center, tsk tsk).
Yeah, Ubbe needs to rely on Björn or Sigurdr to become Fylkir if he wants big-scale conversions to happen.

Mercia is defeated for a while now. Their recovery is not fast enough, and if Eadwald's the best commander they have, then it's looking even worse, especially if he hides on the flank.

Ubbe continues to just push forward at a steady pace. He adds more to his lands now his faith. Even strong characters are joining him. He appears to be building a strong foundation for himself.
At some point, he will have to take more risks, for he isn't immortal... Still, for now it is the right path to take.

Great episode! :) Loved the interplay with Inwaer leading up to his conversion - very Vikings. ;) And getting Haesteinn as a commander to join the court? Well, as you implied and others have said, the Saxons of Englaland are in for a very torrid time. Only their Crucified God can save them now - and he seems to be leaving it to free will! :eek:
Thanks :). Even if I only settled on the monk part of Inwær's character due to his portrait :p.
With Hæsteinn, the Christian abandon is complete - with him being suspicious and stuttering, I'm sure he is in the Norse equivalent of the satanists. The Crucified God doesn't seem to care for the Saxons...

In the next chapter, we'll see some people who shouldn't be there, as the Mercian war continues.

Chapter Nineteen: The Hunt
Chapter Nineteen: The Hunt

Lúnborg, August 870

He had been entrusted with the army, his influence arguably rising within Mercia. Still, nobody envied Eadwald. After all, he was still only carrying out Burghræd's order: take that Norse stain on British soil, Lúnborg. A task that wasn't easy to begin with, and got harder by the day. The commander, wounded in Derby, watched the new banner on the town's wall with a grim face.

“This can't be a good sign.” Eadwald didn't recognise it, but it was yet another raven – black on yellow ground.

“It isn't another son of Ragnarr”, a wizened veteran next to him claimed. “We've seen them all in these last years.”

“I don't care who it is”, Eadwald snarled. “Actions speak louder than names!” He pointed at the wall. The raven was fluttering over a dying, crucified Mercian soldier.

They had come quickly. Nobody had expected a few ships to try and pass the siege, so they were able to force their way through fairly easily. “Hæsteinn the Tormentor is here”, another man exclaimed in terror. “Actions may be louder than names, but then... with a name like that, we'll be deaf soon.”

X6Sw2HJ.jpg

A man came running. That couldn't be a good sign. “Heathen army arriving!” Yes. Definitely not a good sign.

Staring at defeat, Chester's defenders had attempted a desperate sortie. To their credit, they weren't merely hiding behind their walls. To their detriment, it was a folly, and none of them ended up escaping. “Baptized in Christian blood for their new master”, Anlaufr joked to Inwær. “Better than just water, no?”

UFLqS6O.jpg

Ubbe didn't waste any time after taking the town and marched towards Lúnborg. The walls of the town weren't yet in sight as he faced the Mercian besiegers, Eadwald having opted to abandon the siege instead of being butchered between the defenders and the relief force.

At first, it didn't appear as if he had learned anything from Derby. Arrows flew, but with the little number of archers on both sides, this didn't cause much damage. Then javelins were thrown, and the leaderless Mercian centre and right started to crumble, Ubbe and Härek slowly advancing with the knowledge of superiority on every front.

On the Mercian left though, the battle looked differently. Þorsteinn reacted on the first volley just as he had done in Derby. But not Eadwald. Having gathered his cavalry on his flank, he rode forth to meet Þorsteinn's charge, surprising the Norseman. Leading from the front, he found himself faced with three Mercians soon, and then everything went dark...

9fS635O.jpg

Of the three Norse flanks, only Þorsteinn's ended up with significant casualties once the Mercians had fled. Not that the commander was in any state to take notice of it. He was now lying in Lúnborg's hall, Anlaufr carefully studying his head wound. The only thing he appeared to do consciously was keeping a strong hold on his axe.

neaYg8X.jpg

“I've done what I can. Valhalla calls for him, but he is yet to answer. Pure determination? Unfinished business? Either way, I cannot say if he shall ever be able to return.”

“Strange. I always thought he'd take the chance to join Odin as soon as he could.” Härek put his hand on the unconscious man's shoulder. “Your choice, my friend. Either way, you will see me again, I promise.”

“I've never regretted my choice”, Ubbe added. “Both you and Härek. A great warrior may join the hall, but I would still like to be able to count on you here.” He then left the seer and the giant with Þorsteinn, to welcome his new ally as he deserved.

“One cannot help but feel like home”, Hæsteinn wondered loudly, pretending not to notice Ubbe.

“Not his though. Not enough bones”, Steinn whispered to Ubbe, a smile on his face.

“If he needs them, he can collect some not far from here”, the þegn joked back to his right hand.

The Tormentor's eyes finally settled on him. “Truly, a nice hall. My youth never felt closer. A shame I couldn't spill some enemy blood here. But my reputation seems to precede me even here.”

“The Mercians wanted to fight another day. That is the Saxon way.”

“A pity. Well, isn't that what I have come here for? Either they'll run faster, or feast the crows more effectively.”

“I am glad you have taken up my offer.”

“Many in my position would not even have let Eyjolfsson finish his sentence before jumping town”, Hæsteinn said while mustering Ubbe. “Joining a Ragnarrsson in Englaland's conquest instead of perishing surrounded by enemies – why hesitate? But not me.” Next to the intelligence in his eyes, a glint of madness was noticeable. “They weren't a threat, but a nuisance. One I would have dealt with in time – or winter would.”

“Then why haven't you?”, Ubbe decided to humour Hæsteinn.

“Greater things await me than some Breton peasants. And I've come to enjoy the settled life, compared to that of a raider. I have my loot. What I want now are victories and conquests. According to your friend, you need me for that.”

“I always need good men-”, Ubbe started, but was cut short immediately.

“Me. You need me. Your problem with thieving priests, that would never have happened to me. You don't need my presence on the battlefield, not that you will decline it. You need my reputation.”

“More than others, that much is right.”

“Good. You will see that I joined you, but that I am not just another man to take orders. As long as we understand each other's conditions, it will be a fruitful alliance for both our legends.” Hæsteinn looked around once again. “This isn't your main hall? I can't imagine Burgh to be a better place, but that's your choice. We'll settle down here, and then I'll deal with your priestly problem.” He made a signal to his hirdmen, and the Tormentor left.

“I'm not sure if this is the right decision”, Örvar said, scratching his forehead.

“I have seen Nantes, Örvar. Your policy made people grow bold. Hæsteinn's makes them terrified. He impersonates the Christian image of us, so he is in many ways your opposite.” Steinn chuckled.

“Nantes is what I mean, too. After all, the Bretons, no matter how much they fear him, still chased him away!”

“You have experienced the Saxon reaction to us the most. What have you learned from it?” Ubbe asked.

“If we keep them on a wide leash, a few might be more willing to resist, but they do prefer the safety, allowing us to keep control of the conquered lands.”

“I asked about your experience, not your ideal, Örvar.”

The left hand sighed. “Too many liberties caused open resistance. Seeing consequences to this resistance...”, he tried to chase away the mental image of rotting corpses on pikes, but failed. “Mostly prevented more to join them.”

“That's what I am seeing as well. The Welsh, the Cornish – we crushed their defences, but left their leaders to return, broken, not to serve as a rallying figure. The people know that they cannot come to their help, and that they are in no position to resist, which makes them pliant. Do you now see what Hæsteinn offers in this regard?”

“There is no worse consequence imaginable”, Steinn gestured towards Örvar. “We just need to make sure the Saxons know that – or he will do it himself, as he solves the thieving problem.”

“To make them know, the easiest way is to tell them – which I guess you wanted to tell me, Steinn.”

As he nodded, Örvar continued. “You know, it would be easier if we all were able to communicate with them – subjects and enemies alike. More than just a select few like me who speak their language. Further chase away the image of the evil looter. Perhaps not the Tormentor though, so he can keep his... function...”

I1zTFco.jpg

Ubbe shook his head. “We are not here to become Saxons. We are here to rule them. They should learn our language, not the other way around.”

“Even their king Ælfred has understood that”, Steinn supported.

The left hand looked like he wanted to protest, then thought better of it. They were not merchants like him. He only hoped that gaining a legendary ally in Hæsteinn was worth the trouble he would likely cause, and further their ambitions.

Hereford, May 870

Leaving the comatose Þorsteinn behind, Ubbe seized the other major settlements of Chester in quick succession before his scouts reported something entirely unexpected. The Mercians had deployed reinforcements.

Lithuanians.

Only after a long discussion was Ubbe convinced that the scouts weren't joking, and that Burghræd had actually managed to hire Baltic mercenaries, driven far enough by their lust for gold that they had landed on British soil. Just as interesting was the fact that these little over thousand men were being chased by Halfdan, and that they had more immediate concerns than running into another Norse army.

Ubbe's men thus consequentially blockaded the Lithuanians' path and forced a battle, with Jorvik's forces pressing on from behind. Surrounded, the mercenaries were unable to escape and slaughtered to the last man. Almost. The Mercian thane commanding them managed to flee, a few others were captured.

BTEW4h3.jpg

“There you are, feasting on the weak.” Halfdan Whiteshirt bellowed as a greeting.

“As if you are doing anything else, brother.” Ubbe grunted in response.

Whiteshirt laughed. “Is it my fault that I made them weak? No. We crushed the Saxons in East Anglia. Where you were notably absent.”

“I was in Gwynedd.”

“Oh, I'm sure the Welsh put up a good fight. The few leftovers who survived us, anyway. Not very impressive, Ubbe.”

“Easy for you to say. Most of the men follow you. You have the manpower to attack everyone, I must choose my battles.”

“For we do not stand together? Remember Ivar speaking about unity? You know, I am supporting his campaigns in Irland, which you aren't.”

“He didn't ask me. I didn't even know he is campaigning until now”

“For he knows you are weak.”

“Yes, because he knows I can't spare the men!”

“Know why I am here? Ivar may have spared Burghræd, but I will show him what it means to disrespect us. You? Are here to feed from my scraps.”

“I am forging my path, you are continuing on yours. Hæsteinn the Tormentor sees it the same way, for he has joined me.”

“You? Actually, I understand him. He can't join neither Ivar nor me for we are greater than him, but with you, his legend can still grow. More than clinging on to Nantes. Though I am surprised you let him join you.”

“Why that?”

“I do remember something about legitimizing a rule through fame, after getting rid of the previous leader...”

“Guðmunðr of Nerike is a snake, one who already held land in Sviþjoð!”

“And you don't plan on giving the Tormentor some? How else are you paying him? Besides, he is a renowned trickster and conqueror, just as his nickname is very fitting.”

“He has nothing to gain from acting against me!”

“I wasn't trying to make you doubt your decision”, Halfdan said, but his smirk belied that this was exactly his intention. He then clapped Ubbe on the shoulder. “But let us forget that for now. No foe left standing, that's how I like my battles!”

“There are some left, actually”, the younger Ragnarrsson replied. “And you know, I have an idea.”

“I have a feeling that I am going to like that idea, for a change.”

After a short discussion, Ubbe replaced the guards of the Lithuanian prisoners. The new men were more concerned with loot and drink, and hardly kept an eye on the prisoners. Soon enough, they were on the run, heading into the nearby woods.

The Ragnarrssons were just waiting on that. After leaving the escapees a little advantage, they launched the hunt. A friendly competition, as far as the brothers were concerned. Less friendly for the Balts. In the end, it was Ubbe's arrow who hit the last Lithuanian, and Halfdan had to grudgingly accept his defeat in the hunt. A sign for things to come?

NMb3LUL.jpg

It is good to see Ubbe standing up to his brothers a little more. A little sure abd confidant.

It seems that Ubbe's continual problem will be trying to forge a legacy without being overshadowed by someone else, whether that be his brothers or those serving under him.

Hunting your prisoners of war sounds like the Norse version of peasant hunting. :p

Ubbe just keeps going at a nice steady pace. Getting stronger and stronger.

I am not sure about bringing Hæsteinn into the fold. Ubbe may be solving one problem only to get a bigger one in the future.

The hunt was a nice a little touch.

Learning to speak their languages could have helped Ubbe, but I see his logic. He will not become a Saxon, the Saxons will become Norse.

More conflict between him and his brothers. Will it stay as goading, or will we one day see war between them? If not them, their heirs? How great can Ubbe's legend rise if his brothers keep him in the shade?

The rivalries between brothers. Friendly or... more serious? On one hand, Halfdan is complaining Ubbe doesn't help his brothers enough, like a loyal subject. On the other hand, he's chastising him for forging his own path. I can see that spiraling out of control.

And poor Lithuanians. They should have stayed in the Baltics.

Another interesting update. Those other brothers are indeed obnoxious, but that ribbing from Halfdan was pointed and most amusing - nicely done.

It is good to see Ubbe standing up to his brothers a little more. A little sure abd confidant.
With each victory comes more power and confidence, and perhaps at some point he is going to have more than them.

It seems that Ubbe's continual problem will be trying to forge a legacy without being overshadowed by someone else, whether that be his brothers or those serving under him.

Hunting your prisoners of war sounds like the Norse version of peasant hunting. :p
Hæsteinn definitely overshadows him now. What remains to be seen is if it stays that way.

Who says there is no peasant hunting, too :rolleyes:?

Ubbe just keeps going at a nice steady pace. Getting stronger and stronger.

I am not sure about bringing Hæsteinn into the fold. Ubbe may be solving one problem only to get a bigger one in the future.

The hunt was a nice a little touch.
One bite after the other. And when he is strong enough... many bites.

What? Bringing in a hel-worshipper with a reputation to torture and kill people for fun might not be a good idea? Nonsense!

I doubt the Lithuanians are going to agree with that :p.

Learning to speak their languages could have helped Ubbe, but I see his logic. He will not become a Saxon, the Saxons will become Norse.

More conflict between him and his brothers. Will it stay as goading, or will we one day see war between them? If not them, their heirs? How great can Ubbe's legend rise if his brothers keep him in the shade?
That is his goal. And even if it weren't, he is far too proud for that. Just like Hæsteinn, who I very much to have learnt Breton.

Between the brothers at least, Ubbe will not escalate the conflict, but the rivalry will definitely persist. And stepping out of their shadow - necessary if he is not to be limited -, this will be a hard task.

The rivalries between brothers. Friendly or... more serious? On one hand, Halfdan is complaining Ubbe doesn't help his brothers enough, like a loyal subject. On the other hand, he's chastising him for forging his own path. I can see that spiraling out of control.

And poor Lithuanians. They should have stayed in the Baltics.
Both, I think. Friendly insofar as they remain (half-)brothers with (at least now) no intent to harm each other, more serious insofar as that others suffer the consequences of this rivalry :rolleyes:. A loyal subject - or a loyal ally? We will see that come up in the future. ;)

They had no business here. Better stay at home to be raided by Björn's Swedes :p.

Another interesting update. Those other brothers are indeed obnoxious, but that ribbing from Halfdan was pointed and most amusing - nicely done.
Halfdan just can't resist. Ubbe's objective since the start of the invasion remains far away, and Whiteshirt is a lot more powerful right now. So he can enjoy that - while it lasts, at least ;).

The next chapter will be another short look at what's happening in the North. It may have drastic consequences...

Chapter Twenty: Freedom in the North
Chapter Twenty: Freedom in the North

Gowrie, 12th October, 869

Murdoch grinned as the woman he dragged out of the hall screamed. Pleading for him to show mercy, to spare her children. No, that was not what he planned. He had no use for those left behind, unlike the use the woman offered.

The woman was the mother of king Constantine's children. More than just a symbol of his victory, of Douglas' posthumous triumph.

The Strathearnian bastards who had revolted against both his revered leader and the tyrant had gotten what they deserved in the beginning of September. He could have been fearful of the success emboldening the royal troops, but now was not time to think about that. It was time to celebrate. “Light it”, he said, earning more cries of his captive.

One of his rebels obliged, and held a torch to the small pile of hay they had put next to Constantine's seat of power. Those who had neither surrendered nor already died were now imprisoned in it and would surely perish, having no place in the future he imagined.

A future that had only slightly deviated from Douglas'. Murdoch, against the Cathar teachings, lived for his pleasures, but that didn't discourage his faithful. Even if these pleasures included razing Gowrie, raping and killing those closest to the king. In the end, it was all just a step towards his removal, towards a proof of strength for the Norse, and then to their peaceful lives after.

Hde5dIn.jpg

County of Fife, 1st February 870

Constantine was enraged. Over there he was, the man whose action had hit him like a Norse axe. While these, impersonated by Ivar the Boneless, were currently aimed at his neighbouring realm of Alt Clut, the continuous troubles his realm faced were now impersonated by Murdoch, the leader of this second Cathar uprising. Gowrie – fallen. His family – dead. More determined than ever before, he wanted not only to cut off the head of the revolt this time, but to pull the weed out by the root.

Time had been on his side before. His patience had solved two problems by pitting them against each other – at least it seemed so at first. But this virtue had also cost him his two sons as well as their mother. He would no longer wait. Word was that Murdoch was a friend of spirits – not the ghostly, but the liquid sort. And they had just pillaged another monastery.

So once again the king of Scotland was patient. He led his men around the rebels, his brother Hugh stayed with his men from Moray. All while Murdoch and his circle were having a merry orgy, unaware of the danger. When their liquid loot seemed to have vanished in the rebels' throats, Constantine ordered the attack.

Some escapees from Douglas' original revolt were taking the Cathar teachings more seriously and had stayed sober, but most men were fairly inebriated and thus worse fighters than one would have thought. The royalists quickly gained advantage, and once Murdoch fell – not struck down, but passing out from the drink – the heretics' morale reached a low point. The battle was over.

Having been the victor over the Cathar force himself this time, Constantine made sure that, unlike after their defeat to Strathearn's peasantry, none could escape. The same fate would befall them as had his family.

9GyM3Jd.jpg

Gowrie, 1st July 870

In the aftermath of Murdoch's defeat, for once there was peace in the realm of Scotland. It would take long for the land to recover from the marauding rebels though, and the king had a personal loss to cover as well. Not long after his return to his seat, he began looking for a bride.

With Ivar rampant in Alt Clut and close to connecting his lands posing a formidable threat, he sought allies. The best one he could think of was Ælfred of Wessex. So an envoy was sent to the Saxon king, seeking the hand of a Wessexian woman, and to forge an anti-Norse alliance.

Ælfred was amiable at first to the Scottish envoy, but couldn't accept any talk about an alliance directed against the Boneless. “It was a condition of my release”, he argued, “that neither one of us will take up arms against the other. If not for that promise, I would either still be a prisoner or dead. I must honour my word.”

VDouIeh.jpg

Thus it came to be that Constantine's men sailed further south, and brought back a young woman from Brittany named Luncen. What the future would hold for Scotland depended strongly on Ivar's actions.

RkXvilD.jpg

Chiefdom of Airgíalla, 17th May 871

All was going as expected. Alt Clut had surrendered, connecting his lands with those seized from Ælla. And now, Suðreyar's forces advanced against Chief Congalach. With Dyflinn as his base, Ivar fully intended on subjugating Irland under his rule now, one chief after the other. That they were constantly feuding prevented them from banding together, and his reputation further facilitated the task.

He didn't need the assistance of his brothers. A few men from Jorvik had assisted his conquest of Alt Clut, but Halfdan and Ubbe had their own battles to wage – and were more than capable enough to do it, just as he was in Irland. Airgíalla would be the first among many to fall.

His sons were, as it happened so often, squabbling. Especially Sigtrygg, his eldest, and Barid, the most capable one. A dispute involving his strategy for the upcoming battle. A classic shieldwall. To fend off the Irish skirmishers and then wreck havoc amongst their ranks. Sigtrygg defended it vigorously, while Barid was ever skeptical. It didn't help that both were not nearly as competent as Ivar, though at least their brother had the wisdom not to get involved.

As usual, Ivar led the battle from the front, a line of shields marching towards the outnumbered Irish, who soon began to throw their javelins at the wall. Unimpressed, the vikings continued their march, accelerating as they got closer, and soon the melee began, Ivar's tactics once again paying off.

But the Boneless himself? Not savouring his victory, but with a strongly damaged helmet. One javelin or blow had taken a lucky deflection or was skilfully aimed at the “Heathen Sorcerer”. The great strategist, terror of Britain's Christians, hardly reacted to his environment. All follwers of the dead crucified god breathed a sigh of relief. Ivar Ragnarrsson, called the Boneless, was now incapable.

7od4GnH.jpg

Drastic events indeed in Scotland - damned rabble! Will that incapacity of Ivar’s be permanent? It’s looking decidedly like it may be. Ubbe may rise by comparison if those lacklustre sons take over.

A nice shift of perspective, and oh my regarding Ivar. That is news of great import indeed!

Constantine paid a terrible price. I wonder how long it take for him and his kingdom to recover. Is Brittany a worthy ally? Can they truly aid him in his time of need.

Ivar incapable! What a lucky blow for the Christians and the Irish. (pun intended :D).

Will be interesting to see who of the sons of Ragnarr can fill the void left by the Boneless.