• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Killed by rabble... ugh. Bad one, which I've seen time to time.

But Ivar being incapable... that's interesting, especially as those titles will be split with his sons, I imagine. All weak, possibly in-fighting. Opportunity for someone - Anglo-Saxon or Norse...

With Ivar no longer the man he once was, Ubbe has a chance to break out from underneath the shadow of his brother.

The Boneless has all but fallen, likely to never rise again. At this stage, the real question is who will succeed him.

Drastic events indeed in Scotland - damned rabble! Will that incapacity of Ivar’s be permanent? It’s looking decidedly like it may be. Ubbe may rise by comparison if those lacklustre sons take over.
The poor Scots have suffered quite a lot in the last years - now things can only be better.
Recovery is a very rare event, so Ivar will likely not be able to return to his terrorizing ways any time soon - and that at least stops his rise, which offers Ubbe a chance to surpass the Boneless.

A nice shift of perspective, and oh my regarding Ivar. That is news of great import indeed!
The whole balance of power in the north may crumble. And with Scotland stabilizing, it's even worse.

Constantine paid a terrible price. I wonder how long it take for him and his kingdom to recover. Is Brittany a worthy ally? Can they truly aid him in his time of need.

Ivar incapable! What a lucky blow for the Christians and the Irish. (pun intended :D).

Will be interesting to see who of the sons of Ragnarr can fill the void left by the Boneless.
The last years haven't been kind, and with all that violence, it might take a while. In gameplay terms, there's no alliance between Constantine and anyone else, but seeing as Ælfred declined an offer of marriage to his useless courtier, it made sense to turn to Brittany next. One shouldn't forget that, although not that particular count, they have just thrown out Hæsteinn, so the Bretons might at least offer some advice against the Norse.

The luck of the Irish struck. Now to see if they can use this to their advantage or if they have their minds blown by this realization.

He was fairly much the leader of their efforts on the isles, so can that post be filled again? For that, Halfdan and Ubbe would have to agree on it...

Killed by rabble... ugh. Bad one, which I've seen time to time.

But Ivar being incapable... that's interesting, especially as those titles will be split with his sons, I imagine. All weak, possibly in-fighting. Opportunity for someone - Anglo-Saxon or Norse...
Happens whenever a holding is taken by rebels - they kill the present family of the lord. The Cathars were really close to success if they managed to seize Gowrie.

Split under elective gavelkind, no less. And as Ivar has a few sons, some of them may end up independent counts. An opportunity would definitely present itself.

With Ivar no longer the man he once was, Ubbe has a chance to break out from underneath the shadow of his brother.
A comatose man can't cast a long literal shadow, after all. The shadow of his glory might soon fade away, too - especially if the actions of others attract attention ;).

The Boneless has all but fallen, likely to never rise again. At this stage, the real question is who will succeed him.
There are a bunch of candidates - none of them excel as much as Ivar does. The question is also how long it will take...

For the next chapter, I've wanted to shift to another new perspective, but I'm not happy at all with the result, so I've scrapped that entirely. Instead we'll take a look at someone who unexpectedly still plays a role, talk about bees and a new nickname ;). Should be ready in a few days.

Chapter Twenty-One: The Magnanimous
Chapter Twenty-One: The Magnanimous

Tamworth, County of Warwick, September 871

The man was familiar. He had brought some of Ivar's messages before. So – it had to be true. But it couldn't be.

“... the crows are already circling, even if he is still conscious. There are rumours circulating that Ælfgar and Olaf are preparing to make a move.”

“So you are not just telling me that my brother no longer responds to the living, and that Ælla's whelp rises up against him?”

“These are the rumours. Still, I wish I could say otherwise”, the messenger gravely nodded.

Strangling him would feel satisfying. If only for a moment. But not much longer, so Ubbe restrained himself. Besides, he was a good man, had done nothing wrong and already survived Halfdan. “Why does he still live, anyway?”

“Ivar's wish”, Härek answered in the messenger's stead. “He served both as a reminder of Ælla's fate as well as a puppet to control the populace. He was terrified with fear and would have done anything Ivar desired. Now that he doesn't have to fear retribution from your brother, he seems to grow bold.”

“That's one way to put it. 'Mad' is another, should he move”, Anlaufr added. “After all, he still faces Ivar's men as well as Halfdan's full might. Knowing Olaf from my time on Mann, I can only imagine that he thought he had managed a deal with an Ivarson, and the Saxon joined him. But your nephews are notoriously disunited.”

Ubbe said no more. Ivar was not dead, but save for a miracle he was, like Þorsteinn, no longer there.

In times like these, staring at walls was all the more frustrating.

Lothian, September 871

Two very different men were meeting. Olaf Yngling smiled as Ælfgar of Northumbria paced around. “Calm down, man. Sigtrygg, Guðfrið and I have found an agreement. I'm sure it will all work out.”

The son of the former king was completely on edge. “I'm going to end up like father. I'm going to end up like father. I'm going to end up like father...”

“You Saxons and your eternal cowardice”, Olaf sighed. “Without the lead of the Boneless, who is to say his sons don't all go their different ways?”

“He still lives!”

“If you are calling that living...”

“Does it matter? The Irish didn't kill him...”

“And you fear the Ivarsons remain united. Even if they do, then it's Barid and Sigfroþ against Sigtrygg and Guðfrið. So keep a cool head.”

The spectre of doubt not only gnawed at Ælfgar, but was biting him in half as he suddenly seemed to realize something else. What if... Ivar had set up his vassal to drag him down? “If we are such cowards, then why did you seek my assistance?”

“Common goals can unite even the worst of foes”, Yngling stated as if it was the most natural thing in the world. “Who is to say that I should follow whoever of Ivar's sons follows their father? I swore my loyalty to the Boneless for his strength, and my chance. Now he's not radiating the strength I respected any more. And Irland is ripe for the taking. My taking. With you? Merely for the numbers. I wouldn't expect you to enjoy your newfound freedom for long.”

“Refreshing honesty”, the Saxon grunted, half-expecting his 'ally' to be amongst the first to attack him. “Remind me of the arrangement.”

Olaf, apparently completely relaxed, happily obliged. “It is no secret that there's some enmity between the Boneless' sons, especially the eldest, Sigtrygg, and Barid. Right now it seems that old dog Ketill of Mann would support Barid to succeed Ivar, and he was inclined to agree before that fateful battle.
Guðfrið is on Sigtrygg's side, and both approached me for support. Not that it would matter much. So I made a counter-offer, as as it weakens Barid, they gladly accepted.”

Ælfgar's vote didn't matter, as he merely lived on as a symbol, not a vassal. Not that he sought to understand the pagans' way to determine succession anyway. “And what does that mean for us?”

“Well, if the four can't agree on the course of action, they do nothing in Ivar's place. Nothing means that we gain our freedom without any warrior knocking at your gate.”

Olaf didn't have to elaborate further, as one of Ælfgar's servants entered and announced a messenger. “Finally, I can return to Dyflinn. This place is only nice enough if you're sacking it, not if you're living in it.”

The messenger relayed the short message, then all but fled. The Saxon lord was frozen in place.

“Something seems wrong...” Olaf, suddenly also concerned, stood up.

Ælfgar began to tremble. “Ivar's sons have come to a decision... one marked by tragedy.”

“Tragedy?”

“Guðfrið died. Some illness.”

“Then this means...”

“Yes. With two against one, Ivar's sons have decided to put us into place and vowed to make us pay for the disrespect to their father.”

p3FwKpF.jpg

Tamworth, November 871

Once again, he couldn't hold it back. Anlaufr shortly looked away, and Ubbe's last meal came out the wrong way. “I have good and bad news.”

lwYIJ6K.jpg

“That sounds typical”, Ubbe said, recovering his composure. “The good news first.”

“I think I know the root of your vomiting.”

Hopeful, the Norse leader looked directly at his physician. “Then can you stop it?”

“There's still the bad news”, Anlaufr added, concerned.

“Out with it, then.”

“It's not a disease that will affect the army,” Anlaufr said apologetically.

“That's good news, no?”

“Not really. The disease may not spread, but is fairly deadly. For now, it is only a suspicion, so I can't say much, but... I am fairly sure it will be bad.”

18eEs5s.jpg

“Then I can overcome it!”, Ubbe did his best to appear strong. “Doesn't drain my strength, save for these periods... Am I not favoured by the gods?”

“Certainly, if anyone can do it, then you. And it is only a first symptom – I may be wrong”, Anlaufr shrugged, even if he didn't believe it himself. “In any case, Hæsteinn has arrived.”

The seer left, leaving Ubbe some time to think about his preliminary diagnosis, before Hæsteinn arrived, holding something in his hand. On closer observation, it revealed itself to be a human head.

“Fine woman you have. Dealt fairly well with these guys. Of course, it wasn't a challenge for me. Some advanced interrogation and deterrent techniques, one surprise, and not one thief left”, he threw the head towards Ubbe. “That's the last one of the bunch who still breathed. I can detail more later. A fight awaits us.”

“So my problem is solved?”

Hæsteinn mustered Ubbe, then nodded once. “One of them. I've got the feeling you've got quite a few. Some less severe than mine was, others more.”

“The Mercians are hiding in Tamworth, yes. We're set for some more months”, the þegn grunted.

“The Magnanimous is fairly apt at motivating his men then.”

“Magnanimous?”

“In comparison, people are quick to earn good titles among the peasants”, Hæsteinn smirked knowingly. “So, faced with us on the other hand, the Mercians have taken to call Burghræd 'the Magnanimous'. Against me, 'Evil Incarnate', they have pitted 'the Saviour'. All your reputation resumed in a word or two.”

abrvcJf.jpg

“Don't I know that”, Ubbe interjected, annoyed.

The Tormentor kept his smirk. “We are all the generic 'heathen scourge' for now. But the peasants will get to know us soon enough. I'd bet those in Burgh do. Lúnborg is a much better place, w-w-why aren't you – H-H-Hel's curses!”

Whatever caused Hæsteinn to start stuttering, Ubbe was grateful for it, as it allowed him to return to the initial topic. “Any ideas for Tamworth?”

“What w-w-were your ideas, son of Rag-rag-ragnarr?”

Ubbe regretted having sent most of his advisors back to his lands. And he wasn't exactly in a state of thinking clear now.

After a few moments, the Tormentor stopped to wait. “You d-d-don't seem in the con-con-condition to think c-c-clearly. N-n-no idea, then.”

Ubbe wasn't ready to swallow his pride. “I have been waiting for... for...”, then the urge overwhelmed him yet again.

Hæsteinn shook his head. “It's no u-u-use if the lea-lea-leader can't fight. We should w-w-wait for your re-re-recovery.” Or his death, the Tormentor thought. In which case he would gladly take over.

As Hæsteinn left, Ubbe felt powerless. Of course, he could just put Steinn, or even Hæsteinn, in charge of the men, but this was not a realistic option. It was his war. His time to prove himself. Not someone else's. Nothing would be worse than not fighting himself.

Tamworth, January 872

dEzFyAt.jpg

Anlaufr had confirmed his earlier diagnosis, and Ubbe had taken it in well enough. “With a disease like this, successful treatment is extremely rare, though I have heard of a few cases. If anyone can survive, then someone favoured by the gods.”

“Can you then replicate these treatments?”

“The 'how' has been lost to time, I fear”, Anlaufr nonetheless managed to look confident enough. “But I have some ideas in mind, on which I have worked for the past month.”

Ubbe was still fairly weak, and merely nodded. “Tell me.”

“I need your full trust in me. As your seer, as your physician. Without it, nothing would work. Do I have it?”

The man's ambitions are limitless, the þegn thought. Telling a man that he's getting close to death, yet asking for personal gain. Of course, he knew nobody else around here could have any chance at treating Ubbe. And he had proven himself, after all. Did he gain Jorunn's complete trust in this way, too? “You have it”, Ubbe uttered, before having thought it through entirely.

“Good. I can try to ease your pain and delay the disease, or combat it entirely – which may be a riskier approach. Which –“

“Fight”, Ubbe interrupted. “I insist. I am no Saxon coward.”

“Very well”, Anlaufr answered. “I will bring the medicine.”

As he returned, he slung a pot at Ubbe, who was barely able to dodge it. Preparing himself to chase after the fleeing seer, he noticed that he had another problem. Bees.
WubpN6Z.jpg

You have to watch out for those seers and their "treatments."

I guess Ælfgar made a mistake thinking that Ivar's sons would be too concerned with their own interest to bother with him.

Can Ubbe fight his war while the cancer ravages him? Will he survive the cure? Things long bleak for him at this time.

I doubt that Ubbe is going to be too happy with his physician after that.

Ouch... Yeah, cancer is an awfully big wrench in Ubbe's plans. Here's hoping he can recover.

Ubbe finally has the chance to outshine his brothers and he comes down with cancer. Something tells me the bees won't solve that problem either. :rolleyes:

Bees are such a ridiculous solution to this problem that in CK2's warped logic it will probably end up curing it. ;)

You have to watch out for those seers and their "treatments."

I guess Ælfgar made a mistake thinking that Ivar's sons would be too concerned with their own interest to bother with him.

Can Ubbe fight his war while the cancer ravages him? Will he survive the cure? Things long bleak for him at this time.
It's bad anyway. Why not give Anlaufr a try then?

He hasn't been the driving force behind that rebellion, but he really should have thought this through more.

Cancer is definitely bad. But no matter how it turns out, he can be happy that Anlaufr didn't cut off some parts of him :p.

I doubt that Ubbe is going to be too happy with his physician after that.
That depends if it works...

Ouch... Yeah, cancer is an awfully big wrench in Ubbe's plans. Here's hoping he can recover.
Hope is what he needs.

How did your seer even come up with the Bees Treatment? Is he a Nic Cage fan?o_O
You take what you have at hand, I suppose :p.

Ubbe finally has the chance to outshine his brothers and he comes down with cancer. Something tells me the bees won't solve that problem either. :rolleyes:
Fate rarely likes it when something seems to just go up... there have to be some obstacles in the path, and with this path it's only natural that it might be lethal.

Bees are such a ridiculous solution to this problem that in CK2's warped logic it will probably end up curing it. ;)
I've never seen the bees achieve that, but we may see this warped logic at work soon.

If cutting off one's face can cure syphilis, then curing cancer with bees doesn't sound TOO ridiculous, I suppose.
Better than self-sacrifice, in any case :D. And after all, a lot of medicine is based on poisons :p.

NOT THE BEES!
You are absolutely right - the poor animals!

Chapter Twenty-Two: That stung!
Chapter Twenty-Two: That stung!

Tamworth, February 872

No matter the “absolute trust” Ubbe guaranteed him, his right hand hadn't made any such kind of promise. And as soon as Steinn noticed what Anlaufr had done, the seer was immediately shackled, his vehement protests ignored. For a few days, the þegn only suffered from this treatment. Things were looking worse than before.

Then, one day Ubbe managed to get up and head to Anlaufr. The work of the bees was still visible on his entire body, but the pain had ebbed away. He rose his hand as if to strike... and punched his defenceless seer in the gut. “That was for the bees.”

That hurt. It really did. Which is why Anlaufr smiled as he recovered from the blow. “How do you feel?”, he asked.

MIh6Jnh.jpg

“I've noticed. Now, could you order me untied? It's nice for a few minutes, but it's been days... by now I'm quite uncomfortable.”

His strength recovered, Tamworth would fall. The period of inaction had done nothing good to anyone. The men were growing restless, the Mercians had weakened. And his advisors surely had come up with a lot of ideas by now.

“Honestly, after that long siege it's only a matter of days before they surrender”, was Steinn's opinion. “Might as well continue what we've been doing.”

Härek was quick to agree, while Hæsteinn shook his head. “If they're so weak, then we might as well finish it now. I've noticed their guard's dropping – there are quite a few moments when parts of their walls are unguarded. We strike there and we'll be carrying their valuables out tomorrow.”

“How long?”

“Not much, at night. We can't just attack there with all the boys. I've got just the right man f-f-for”, the Tormentor silently raged at his stuttering, stopping his sentence. “T-t-tryggve!”, he called.

nE1Q6jh.jpg

Another man joined them, his beard covering the part of his head that wasn't under his helmet. He had been for Hæsteinn what Steinn was for Ubbe – not only his right hand, but also a friend with somewhat similar views. His voracious appetite was surely needed to fuel his impressive strength. “I'd lead a few selected boys up. We'll deal with the Saxons and open the gate.”

Ubbe thirsted for action. “It's been months I was not in any state to act. I am not in the mood for more waiting. Then so be it. Tryggve, choose who you want. Open the gate, and I'll storm in. Inaction – I've had enough of that. This night, we shed blood!”

near St.Ethelberts, 29th May 872

Tryggve scaled the wall unnoticed and with ease, and then Tamworth fell quickly, the Mercians not able to muster much of a resistance. Soon, the entire county of Warwick was under Ubbe's control, and he moved west to Hereford.

And although Anlaufr was of the opinion that the disease wasn't vanquished yet, Ubbe stood there as if he was completely healthy, which is how he felt, too. The man facing him now was just as healthy, but in far worse mood and looked defiant. And angry. At his foe, the bishop, himself?

“Chester? I'd say take it, but you've already done that. Keep it and be gone”, Beornræd grunted, magnanimous as he is. The king of Mercia had other scores to settle now.

The previous battle was short and its conclusion never in doubt. Beornræd had taken it upon himself to drive out the invader this time, sending Eadwald to resist Halfdan's advance. With his presence, he sought to inspire the defenders of St.Ethelberts to join him in battle, which could have nearly evened up the numbers. But they remained behind their walls, leaving the king's 400 men to face Ubbe's 1.400.

maDv855.jpg

“Do you have anything to add? I've got both your brother and my own incapable fools to deal with.”

The Norse smiled provocatively, and the king of Mercia stepped away angrily.

“He's clearly not desiring the fight to go on. Why don't you press on?”, Hæsteinn asked.

“One step at the time. We'll discuss the next part back in Burgh.”

swM19mz.jpg

Burgh, August 872

“Intriguing”, Ubbe answered, while Jorunn tried to imagine the consequences. She was obviously pleased with what she saw with her inner eye.

“It has been a long time coming”, Steinn agreed. “Surely nobody would oppose it.”

The others nodded, save for Hæsteinn and Tryggve, who merely listened stoically to Inwær's words.

The former monk had proposed a way to further legitimate Ubbe's reign. “Ivar has shown a good understanding of my people when he sealed the peace with Eadmund, being recognized as the new king of East Anglia. It made him more than just a foreign invader, but a conqueror here to stay. The East Anglians didn't band together against him like the Northumbrians partly did here.”

“His reputation might have something to do with it”, Örvar said. “Just as Ubbe's actions caused the Welsh and Cornishmen to keep calm.”

“Welsh and Normans, you mean to say”, Arnfast corrected him. The quizzical looks he earned invited the mayor of Lowther to elaborate further.

“See, after their king Dumnarth has been so utterly defeated and Cornwall passed into our þegn's hands, the people reacted. Not like the now deceased fools here. They've looked at what they might learn from us. It might be appropriate now for Örvar to sing the praises of cultural exchange.” He grinned. “Add to that the fact that Dumnarth's zeal hadn't saved them, they readily mixed with newcomers from Scandinavia, and I've sent people who came to Lúnborg south to continue the process. The result? Now we have Normans.”

RijL0c3.jpg

That earned him more incredulous looks. “What has it been, two summers that we took Cornwall?”, Örvar asked, instead of singing praises.

Arnfast merely shrugged in response.

wx2kruD.jpg

Inwær had then cleared his throat to return attention to what he was elaborating. “If they are turning 'Norman', then they may not care about what I am saying. But the Saxons here will surely do. This region was once the land of a kingdom based in Lunece-... Lúnborg. Having taken over most of that former kingdom's land, you may claim its succession.”

“Me, a king? Intriguing”, was Ubbe's answer.

Encouraged by the apparent agreement, Inwær went on. “Of course, merely calling yourself king from now on would not do. There has to be a crown, a coronation ceremony... Surely you do have something similar over the sea, witnessed your father's coronation perhaps? It would all prove to be fairly expensive.”

The Ragnarrsson passed a hand thorugh his beard, pensively.“In relation to the cost, what would I gain that couldn't be achieved cheaper – or in other words, instead of paying the men for the next attack.”

Örvar answered in the Saxon's stead. “There are two ways to impress people, show them your power. The first way, they have seen – might. The second way is what the coronation would achieve – wealth. For maximum effect, in a way they know.”

For once, Jorunn didn't disagree with the left hand. A crown, a display of wealth, that was something she could accept for herself. Not that she didn't have a complaint, which she presented with the usual coldness towards Örvar. “But then we would appear to Saxonize. To clearly not do that, we would need to move the centre of the reign to a Norse town. Even more if it was the centre of the old kingdom.”

That attracted Hæsteinn's attention. “An excellent choice, just as it emphasizes the 'permanent' part. I had settled in Nantes, but always remained some kind of foreign element. Lúnborg is not a foreign element, it can serve as a Norse anchor in Englaland, just like Jorvík.”

Arnfast was beaming at the idea of having to leave his favourite place even less. “It is a move we have anticipated for a while – the town's inhabitants would all be very grateful, unlike the Saxons here.”

“I chose Burgh as my seat for being the first place I reached as ruler of my own”, Ubbe explained. “But now that Lúnborg is rebuilt – with the many advantages it offers, be it its location, culture, symbolic value – it is a better seat, I concede that. Let us assume you have convinced me, Inwær – let us talk about exactly how expensive it would be.”

“Of course it would be easier if we still had the crown of the old kingdom”, the former monk began. “Or Ælla's.”

“You could ask your nephews for that one, but I doubt they will release it”, Hafrid interjected. “Word is that Ælfgar still wears it. Even as he is kept as some kind of pet.”

She had informed them before that their attempt to declare themselves free of Ivar had been short-lived. Barid had directed his father's troops against Olaf in Dyflinn, while Halfdan had sent a detachment under Ragnarr to deal with Ælla's son, who surrendered not much later. Now he was kept in chains and dragged around, Northumbria's crown a slave of the Boneless.

cmQoqX6.jpg

“It would thus have to be a new one. As Örvar said, the more invested here the more respect of your power the people will have.”

“The treasury can't cover anything too extravagant”, Arnfast was quick to say before he could be asked.

“Then we will not discuss it any further for now”, Ubbe started, before his seer interrupted him.

“There's a solution to this problem, as much as another one. Some Welsh have raided a village next to Bangor Fawr.”

“And while reminding them of the peace terms, the cost of the kingdom can be covered”, Steinn finished Anlaufr's thought.

“Two bees with one strike”, the þegn considered the thought shortly. “My terms are defied at the same cost as my brothers'. Time to teach Rhodri this lesson.”

“Absolute trust” had its advantages, Anlaufr thought as he happily strode away from the meeting. If Ubbe became king, that opened more options for him as well. He just hoped the bees would work again once he had to call upon their services.

Hafrid had followed him once Ubbe had dismissed his advisors. “So, these Welsh – did they shout 'for Rhodri and Gwynedd'?”, she asked him casually.

Anlaufr quickly glanced around to assure himself that they were alone. “Something like that.”

“And who told you?”

“I keep in touch with those that have been assigned to my temple.”

“What an admirable godi you are! Surely the ravens are whispering into your ears.”

“As much as it saddens me, these ravens are only figurative. They surely number less than yours, and whereas yours are small and easy to overlook, mine are big, heavy birds whose flapping can be heard from far away. It is simply not my task to tend to the birds, but some still find me.”

“Mine have heard no Welsh shouts.”

“Sometimes, size matters.”

“I am not Inwær”, she scolded him.

“People believe what they want”, the seer shrugged. “And then, doubts do not matter. In the end, it was the same for your sweetheart.
Last thing I heard, there was some trouble with the Welsh. From there to a raid, it's not far, is it? Besides, I never mentioned which Welsh. They would have asked more if it mattered. But that's not why you are here.”

“Sharp. I always thought you were no schemer.”

“You have seen the extent of my, how to call it, untruth-telling abilities. But that doesn't mean I don't notice or plan. Ask godi Einarr.”

“I can assure you that I'm not worshipping Hel, unlike some newcomers.”

“Believe me, if it wasn't precisely why he was invited to come I would have said something.”

“Anyway. A wanderer has been sighted around here. From what I gather, he resembles the man the four brothers met before, indicating them a path to take – if you believe Halfdan. Each time he was seen, he walked towards an old well, lifted up a bucket, and drank – but according to the observers, it was not water he drank, but a more... colourful fluid. You know what I mean.

The peasants seemed to think he was playing a prank on them as he really did seem drunk whenever they approached him. He mumbled something like 'Once the holes are filled, the rain stops, and the source is secure – one should drink deeply, and without regret. But still take care, for even the strongest man can only take so much.'”

“You think that it was that same wanderer.”

“People believe what they want”, Hafrid shrugged, earning a smile from Anlaufr.

“And why tell me before Ubbe?”

“You are his seer. If this wanderer is the same as the last time... he is going to advance the plans.”

She winked at him. “As for really why: although your birds are loud and heavy, they did lift up Inwær.”

VOANya6.jpg

So have the Bees worked!

Or is it just a reprieve?

I am not sure I trust these tales of wandering old men.

It seems Ubbe's strength has recovered. Excellent, he may yet live to forge a crown for himself instead of just paving the way for his heir.

The bees worked?! Of course they worked. (He may not be cured, but it buys him some time. I find good treatments can keep a character going a nice little while, even with the worst of ailments - rabies and plague excluded).

But now Ubbe has to make the most of this time.

To think that all this time bees were the cure for cancer. Who knew. :p

I wonder if the spreading of this Norman culture will help assimilate the locals and finally make them accustomed to Ubbe's rule.