• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(85424)

First Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2007
The Five Elements

A Nationalist ChinAAR.

Welcome! Some background, expectation-setting and ground rules:

My first AAR and my first real Doomsday game. I’ve loaded it a few times to poke around, but never played through before. Using version 1.3.

Will not be using any cheats or modding, except may go nofog from time to time mostly to show situation elsewhere in world.

I plan on this mostly being a loose gameplay AAR, with some story elements tossed in to set the stage. While I’m interested in this period of Chinese history and have done some reading on the subject, I am hardly an expert and the writing will doubtless reflect that. On the plus side, the writing will doubtless spur more research. :D Chinese personal and place names may vary frequently in spelling.

My meta-goal is to try to play the game as if my foresight is in fact limited, and in some cases may be wrong. I will try to play my part in the world as it is and can be inferred – everyone knew chance of war in Europe was growing, knew Japan was a threat to China, knew US didn’t like that, etc. but I will not base plans around specific Events or try to game things like knowing X Event will cause Y dissent drop at Z time, I will not start 1936 plans based on Germany and the Allies going to war in Sept 1939, that Vichy will form and will likely cede Indochina to Japan, etc. Some political and strategic surprise should be evident. Some bad choices will be made that may seem right at the time, militarily, politically, etc.

Sometimes I will work Events into the story as being in part due to NatChi intentions and actions through poetic license. ;) For example, the Xian Incident may become the Xian Conference. It is possible that I may go back and edit prior posts to re-write parts of the story, especially to inject some retroactive foreshadowing. :p

In game goals will be first of all survival, then uniting mainland China including beating back Japanese out of Manchuria. If can secure that, would like to see about getting peripheral areas such as Tibet, Hong Kong, Mongolia, Korea etc. events, world situation and time willing. I do not plan on trying for World Conquest or taking over India, etc. unless somehow drawn into a war with the Allies or something. Who knows what will happen though?

Prelude

Nanjing. December, 1935

Chiang Kai-shek addressed his inner circle. Within the room were the most powerful men in the Kuomintang, the men who ruled Nationalist China, the heirs of Sun Yat-sen, stewards of the Chinese Revolution.

“Good afternoon. I would like to review where we currently stand, and the course I plan to have us navigate through the rapids we find ourselves passing through.

China is in a prolonged crisis situation, and has been since the Revolution. As you know, ‘crisis’ has two parts – danger, certainly, but also opportunity.

Like the Five Elements, we face Five Great Threats. These feed each other, but they can also be used to destroy each other instead of letting them destroy us.

The First Great Threat is the internal dissatisfaction within the Republic. The hearts of many are not behind us. We must get our own house in order before we can realistically expect to expand it. Every internal spy, defector, or turncoat weakens us. Every soldier that questions his duty weakens us. Every businessman reluctant to work within the regime weakens us. Every time people turn to gangs for resolution instead of official justice it weakens us.

This dissatisfaction feeds the Second Great Threat – the Communists. Our ideological opponents, the ones who can mobilize the masses against us. The greater the people’s dissatisfaction, the more likely they are to turn to the Communists. The Communists in turn feed the Third Great Threat, the warlords.

As people especially the wealthy fear the changes the Communists would bring, they offer their support to the various cliques, strongmen and warlords in an attempt to protect themselves and their property. We are ringed by the various great warlords, and if they banded together against us we would be in great peril. Fortunately they are too selfish and unlikely to trust each other enough to do so, fearful that one among them would become pre-eminent. The territorial and military disunity they foster feeds the Fourth Great Threat – the Imperialist powers, especially Japan.

With their position in Manchuria and threats to our coastal regions we must be wary of the Japanese. While they have taken a large bite already, eventually they will digest it and hunger for more. While it is extremely unlikely that they could ever truly ever conquer China, they pose a danger to our coastal areas, home to much of our industry and our people. Japan in possession of our most prosperous areas would feed the Fifth Great Threat we face – economic weakness.

While we have certainly made great strides, we have far to go economically and industrially. We must rectify that if we are to succeed. The worse our economic situation, the poorer our people, the more it feeds the First Great Threat, dissatisfaction. The poor and hungry might turn against us, but those with full bellies and money in their pockets will praise us. The monetary reforms begun last month is an important step against this threat.

Economic weakness feeds dissent which strengthens the Communists which promotes the Warlords who weaken Chinese unity against the Imperialists who threaten our economic strength…and so on. A bad cycle for us to be caught in. But these dangers also present opportunities.

Take the same cycle. By strengthening our economy and broadening our base we can reduce our internal dissent. This will reduce the strength of the Communists, who can either be eliminated if possible or suborned if not. Removing the threat of the Communists will undercut the support for the Warlords, allowing us greater influence and control in those areas. This increased coordination and unity will reduce the threat of the Imperialists being able to divide and conquer, therefore protecting our industry and economy.

There are other options as well. The Warlords can be induced to work more directly with us against the Communists…or vice versa should the need arise. The threat of Japan can help rally the people behind us. The money and knowledge of the Imperialists and others can be used to help strengthen the economy, and the Imperialists can be played off of one another – Britain would be wary of the Japanese in the south near Hong Kong, for example.

So. Here are the basics of what I propose. Circumstances and local realities may of course alter the details.

First, we shall undertake a massive campaign against crime, corruption among local officials, waste, inefficiency and traitors. Successes and examples of happy citizens are to be touted everywhere. Meanwhile we will continue the military campaign against the Communists, enlisting the aid of the warlords as possible. Combined with the military campaign, we will go ahead with some of the reforms from the left – notably land reform- to undercut their ideological appeal and weaken the resolve of their soldiers. Once they are beaten, we will co-opt those we can and shoot the rest. Should we be unable to finish them militarily, we will simply have to try to do more co-opting and less shooting. If we install Communists in various posts, we can take credit for their successes and later blame any failures and excesses on the Communists as a whole. Once they are back in our system I do not intend to let them go again as easily.

Second, once our internal issues and the Communists have been dealt with one way or another, we must turn to the warlords. Those that will work with us can continue to do so for now, and will be used to help destroy those who would stand apart or against us.

Third, once the various warlords are either defeated or submissive to our will, we can turn to Manchuria and removing the Japanese presence in China. By peaceful or covert means if possible, by war if necessary.

All of this of course means a great deal of attention must be paid to our military. Our forces will need to grow, and we will need a strong officer corps with the knowledge to use those forces effectively. A core of elite troops for difficult missions or dangerous assaults and defenses will be needed in addition to the regular soldiery.

With our central position and many possible fronts we will need to explore options for moving force quickly from one to another. Perhaps by increased motorization or an expanded cavalry force, perhaps by improving our internal lines by road, rail, and other infrastructure improvements, perhaps by a significant air force that can quickly respond to crisis points. Likely a combination.

In preparation against Japan, attention must be paid to the sea. While it would be some time before we could challenge their surface fleet directly, there are steps that can be taken. Shore defenses and garrisons can help deter amphibious adventures. Submarines can be used to prey upon their freighters and transports, weakening their forces away from their home islands. Such an enterprise is years away, but basic plans can be made now.

While our military prepares for that struggle, our diplomats must press the case for the other powers to restrain Japan, that the ‘balance of power’ in Asia and the Pacific must be maintained, that Chinese sovereignty and independence must be maintained and respected, and that WE are China. Our spies must ascertain our enemies’ intentions while concealing ours. We will foment chaos and revolt in the homes of our foes while maintaining order and tranquility in our own.

That gentlemen is our task for the coming years.”

This is Chaing Kai Shek who made the speech? Oh please. Anyway, it was cool and I look forward to more!

rcduggan, germanpeon: Thanks for the interest! I hope it will be an entertaining read.

germanpeon said:
This is Chaing Kai Shek who made the speech? Oh please. Anyway, it was cool and I look forward to more!

Yeah, well an alternate reality Chiang, at any rate. :rolleyes: And his ministers really aren't a bunch of corrupt self-aggrandizing hacks. Really. ;) But what's the point of these games if we expect everyone to act historically? ;)

I tried to throw in a few crumbs to historical accuracy (like the comment about fighting corruption among local officials ). :D

Okay, nice start. "Subscribed".

sonsoftaurus said:
Arthulian, grayghost: Glad you like it so far. Played into July 36 last night. Should have at least one update up hopefully this weekend. Hopefully my screenshots will work! :eek:

Bah, who needs screenshots...oh yeah, this is a gameplay AAR, never mind.:D

Another China AAR, hopes that you could restore the glory of this nation. :)

Chapter One: Bringing the Tiger Down from the Mountain

KMT Field Headquarters. January, 1936

"I trust the selected officials have been transferred to the appropriate border provinces?"

"Yes, Generalissimo."

"Good, good. When they are overrun, doubtless the Communists will shoot them as 'counterrevolutionaries'. We will be rid of some annoying pests and gain some extra martyrs in the process. We have been unable to bring Mao to heel in his current position, so instead of going to the tiger, we shall bring it down from the mountain." Chiang gestured at the map on the table. "Communicate the plans to have our forces concentrate here and here, and hold in the mountains here. The weak point will hopefully draw the Communists out, allowing us to begin the assault on their strongholds."

"It shall be done."

Decent start to an AAR - a very good summation of the Nationalists difficulties.

stnylan said:
Decent start to an AAR - a very good summation of the Nationalists difficulties.

Thanks. Poking around the LibrAARy, found an AAR that has a good summary of the general situation, complete with pretty pictures. :D Rather than try to repeat that, I'll just link to the fine work:

Awakening the Dragon

Ah, a very ruthless plan to eliminate internal problems and then to start dealing with the communists. Ruthless, but pragmatic.;)

The Tiger at Bay

Two months of fighting in the hills and mountains of central China. Repulsing the initial attacks of the Nationalists and the forces of Xibei San Ma, the Communists turned to the offensive. Pushing through weak resistance, they broke out from their mountain fastness. The Red Tide pushed to the borders of where the armies of Yunnan held sway. Mao did not press on though, he was busy strangling two chickens already - the rest would keep for the moment. Instead the Reds began to turn East and West against their present foes.

From his command post in Xian, Chiang observed the construction proceeding below. Xian was one end of the new rail line being built, the other end terminating in Nanjing. Committing to the massive undertaking signaled that Chiang was prepared for a long campaign. An aide delivered the news.

"They have reached Yunnan."

"Excellent. Send the signal to Yan Shanxi to put his forces in motion."

Fresh divisions swept upon the Communists, not contesting their new gains, rather forcing towards their center at Yunnan. Large forces from Shanxi trekked towards the Red strongholds and shelled them incessantly. Soon after the March Offensive began, ominous rumblings emerged from Europe.

The KMT commanders saw it as a good omen. The Germans were just occupying what was rightfully theirs, were they not? As the Germans were throwing off the shackles of shameful treaties, so was China. Perhaps with such similar goals the cooperation between China and Germany could continue to grow in the years to come.

Yannan and Pingliang fell, but Mao and his chief advisors managed to flee to Communist positions in the south. Nationalist armies closed in, but were temporarily stalled due to a political crisis...

"Are you mad Zhang? The Communists are broken, it is only a matter of days before we finish them unless we give them a chance to recover! A chance just like the peace you propose. I will not let all our preparations, our sacrifices go to waste."

"Chiang, you are the one who is mad. This bloodletting among Chinese must end, and end now. You would bleed China white in these damned continual civil wars, leaving us too weak to fight the real foe, the Japanese."

"We are surrounded by enemies Zhang. Those whom you would have me embrace would use the opportunity to plant a knife in my back. No. And if I judge the sounds outside correctly, I believe my forces have just surrounded your men. If you truly wish to avoid the wasteful shedding of Chinese blood, I suggest you order them to stand down."

Chiang rose. "Come Zhang, let us go address them together. For the sake of China."

Soon after the aborted coup, the Nationalist forces surged forward once more and finished the Communists. Mao and a few of his closest aides managed to bribe their way through the border guards of Yunnan, and from there made their way slowly to Soviet Central Asia. While the Red Army had been defeated, sympathizers throughout the Republic of China continued to cause problems and were being annoyingly resistant to being repressed.

With the destruction of the Communists and alliances with Shanxi and Xibei San Ma, the Nationalists stood strong in the center of China. The Second Great Threat had been dealt with. How would the others react?

Last edited:
While Armies may rest, Time marches on

June 6th. While Nationalist forces were still recovering and regathering their strength from crushing the Communists, the Third Great Threat struck. The Guangxi Clique struck north without warning, gambling on driving too deep before the Nationalist armies could arrive from the North.

They made early gains through June, but began to be checked as the month drew to a close. Meanwhile the forces of Chiang and the loyal warlords sped south, aided where possible by the recent improvements to the rail and road networks back to Nanjing. By July 5th the bulk of the forces had arrived and began to push the invaders back to the sea.

While Chinese killed Chinese, the madness spread halfway around the world. Word came that Spain too was to become embroiled in internecine conflict. While the Soviets and Fascists sent aid to their partisans, the Western colonial powers stood aside. A definite sign to any others who would seek their aid to look elsewhere.

The war was going well with Guangxi. The Nationalists would finish their push to the sea soon, then all that would remain would be the crossing to occupy Hainan. Difficult to be sure, but there should be enough coastal vessels availble to commandeer to make it workable, and the RoC airforce had been steadily working over the island's defenders. On July 26 another wrinkle in the plan appeared as Yunnan announced their intent to stand with Guangxi. Devoting several divisions to guard the new flank opened up by this treachery, the Nationalists continued with the struggle against the main foe. Once Guangxi fell Yunnan would be easy prey...perhaps why they chose to try to fight now while they could still help their neighboring warlord.

On August 10, the Fourth Great Threat smelled blood and struck. Japan and their lackeys in Manchuko began another round of hostilities against China. Japanese gold coins and silver tongues proved appealing, and the lords of Sinkiang declared against the RoC as well. The Chinese fleet in Shanghai was regularly bombed, and border clashes erupted in the North. While the Japanese won most of those clashes, they were unable to force their way into Beiping in the early days of the struggle. While Britain and France stood impotently by, the United States offered some indirect aid, allowing Chinese silver to be used to obtain American gold. Soon significant arms orders were made and began steaming towards China. Whether they would make it past the IJN was anyone's guess. Despite the investment they represented, Chiang secretly hoped the Japanese would torpedo some American- or British-flagged arms ships and bring them more directly into the war.

But for now, China stood alone against a host of enemies. With the war against Guangxi winding down, a number of divisions were free to head North to face the Japanese, reversing the trek they took a few months earlier. Could they arrive in time to make a difference? Could the Nationalists finish off the war in the South in time to fully engage the invaders? The recent wars had led to improvements in the KMT's army - new methods of organization, new weaponry, new doctrines - but taking full advantage of them would take time, time China might not have.

Time. Never enough time. Would the fate of the 25-year old revolution come down to a few paltry weeks?

Last edited:
Very nice updates. Congrats on scratching out the Commie's. Finish your war with Guangxi and Yunnan before going against the Japs. Let Xibel deal with Sinkiang. Your doin pretty good. Keep it up.

I think you may have done something wrong with the screenies.. 5000 width == :eek: :wacko:

but still great job so far.

Photobucket is a lot better for hosting screenies. And nice start. :)