• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know about you other guys, but isn't this AAR, or atleast the title, a bit to "anti-Islamic"? it's a bit to much if you ask me, it's really on the border on what's ok and what's not.
The title refers to a perfectly acceptable ingame goal. As the poster makes clear in the first post, that is all.

To all: There is no further need for continuance of this discussion in this thread, or a discussion about the author's sense of humour. If anyone has any concerns, the correct thing to do is to a PM a moderator, in this case myself. Please do not derail this thread further

Anyway, fantastic AAR, and I'm glad to see you're keeping the momentum going. You have a long way to go yet, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Eöl: "United we are strong", although apart from Naples, they are mostly medium powers, not minors. But you are right, they are not that powerful. However, Naples is quite strong; they control all of Southern Italy except Rome, while Milan controls the north. Venice is quite weak but still capable and with Aquileia they are very rich.

@ Puritan: Well, it takes lots of luck to play the Byzantines. For example, had they left their fleet guard the strait I would be done for.

By the way, Cyprus hasn't existed for decades at this point. ;)

@ Athomahawk: I tend to try avoid offensive and irreverence humour, but it somehow fits the tragicomedy of my most games. I also have a bad habit of making references to historic/modern day events and persons.

@ stnylan: A picture tells more than thousand words.

@ comagoosie: In case it offended you, apologies. Was not my intention. :)

Oh he was very convincing. He assured me he could do miracles and turn my subjects into millionaires over a short period of time.

@ thebigboss-89: That's why I clearly explained in the first post that I am not anti-Islamic, nor is this AAR. It's all an in-game goal and happens in a virtual reality where I am a ruler of a country long suffered by Muslim invasions. It's all "in-character" so to say. Heck, in the Vicky forums there's even been one AAR where all Texans were openly wiped from the face of the earth in a planned "genocide".

The reason why I came up with this (and my other silly ones) goal is because otherwise EU3 has nothing left for me. I already have another weird idea for my next AAR, but let us finish this onefirst.

I also tried a world conquest in the name of Islam by the way, didn't get any accusations then. That would have been even worse, as the goal was to wipe out all other religions.

But let us not take this discussion any further as stnylan said. I just felt obligated to explain that my intentions are not anti-Islamic and talks of wiping out any specific religion remain strictly "in-character" and are related to events in my game.

However, if you feel bothered and would like to discuss this, PM me (I believe you are allowed to have private discussion on banned topics, but some moderator should clarify this).

@ Beamed: A long way indeed! And anything can still happen.

My apologies in case anyone got offended by the picture. I thought it wasn't too bad as I had censured all the 'vital' parts of it. Let us drop this subject now. In case you feel offended by something in the future, you can just PM me and it will be removed.

Next update will be posted today when I have finished it.

well I did not really get offended just thought about other people that might only read the title or something like that.

otherwise I think it's a good and interesting AAR
:)

I still say after removing Islam, Byzantium should have an Atheist Coup d'état.
Establishing an Autocratic 'Cult of Reason', maybe followed by a civil war and going on the warpath to remove all religion from the world.
Of course that means creating a religion. How does the religion of a nation affect its performance?

Too bad Achaea wasn't in cahoots with Athens as well, or we could have had a seriously nice Greek conquest.

My (lucky) "strategy" for Greece in my first Byzantine game was a 7k stack of Greek patriots liberating Janina, Athens, Achaea, and Naxos for me...

Sorry for no update yet, had some business to attend. There won't be time for one today either. Weekend will go with 2-3 updates per day as I will be completely free then.

I am looking forward to conversion of Mecca (that was the highest point of my own Magna Mundi games as Byzantium :D - I wonder in what direction are they going to pray then... :cool: ).

firstbattle.jpg

I moved one of my armies into Hungary. Their objective is to take over Italian parts of Venice, but also to get Aquileia out of the war on their way.

I encountered the enemy in April on the shores of the Adriatic sea. My troops were severely outnumbered and instead of trying to come for my help with their 10 000 troops, the Hungarians thought it might be better to try retake Croatia instead.

lostbattle.jpg

The only natural option was to make a tactical retreat from the battle. It was one of those 'not-so-great' victories for their part. I marched on to Aquileia, letting Hungarians deal with their own problems.

And there will be more of that for them.

austriadow.jpg

Unsurprisingly the cowardly Austrians yet again join the Hungarian-bashing. They are allied with Venice which is already at war with me so I may as well join in Hungary's defense.

The Austrians marched in masses to Pressburg - to die there of diseases, lack of food and minor clashes with the Hungarian patriots.

732500183_dadd87b6a9.jpg

Austrian troops in Pressburg.

The war wouldn't last long though, there were far too little Hungarians to keep the Austrians entertained, so they peaced fast for Pressburg.

peacenaples.jpg

The largest of my enemies got themselves into few other wars, so persuading them to sign a white peace was not much of a challenge.

warpoland.jpg

No surprise here. Everyone loves to attack Hungary once in a while. For some reason they never take more than one or two useless provinces, such as Carpathia. I guess it's just for the sheer enjoyment of of marching through Hungary and raiding every town they run into.

Unfortunately I became the alliance leader this time, so I actually might have to defeat them this time.

Meanwhile my troops had been struggling with the Aquileian army and their inhumane General. I had finally been able to retreat into Venetian territory.

forcedtopeace.jpg

They gave me almost a year to peacefully siege Treviso, until they crossed the border.

I had no chance but to agree to their terms as I couldn't afford losing these troops. With the venetian Army finally crossing into mainland Italy to face my troops I hastily signed the humiliating peace. I will remember this.

battlevenice.jpg

Of course the brave Venetians sent just two regiments after my armies, while the rest 11 000 stayed on their pesky little city-island, guarded by the second strongest navy in Europe. Regardless to say that the fate of these men who crossed was not a nice one.

Soon both, Milan and Ferrara, begged for white peace. I agreed, I had nothing to gain from them.

trenches.jpg

The exciting war between Venice and Byzantium would last for some more years, most of it being spent sitting on opposite beaches. For some reason my men were suffering attrition in a place like this:

lido.jpg

naxosrelations.jpg

Meanwhile I managed to ally Naxos in hope to diplomatically vassalise them. I put up an embassy to the recently conquered city of Athens to improve our relations. Although they were already on a good level, deeper friendship never hurts.

Elsewhere, Poland had finished off Hungarian armies and now settled for the Carpathian region. For some reason they didn't even touch the much richer Ersekujvar.

lowlandsnations.jpg

While waiting for the Venetians to either agree to my peace terms or their navy to leave the capital, I noticed that the low countries were in an interesting situation.

Flanders had broken free from either France, England or Burgundy; the first or last being my guess, and had been excommunicated by the English. Meanwhile Brabant had managed to conquer a few extra provinces. I'm sure we'll see some major conflicts in this are in the future, naturally between England and France, Brabant and Flanders working as suitable battlefields.

Suddenly something happens, the Venetian navy left somewhere!

battleforvenice.jpg

My troops immediately cross the strait to have the final battle. It didn't take long for the Venetian troops to flee and try to make it into Treviso before their own navy would return, but it was no need for that...

venicepeace-1.jpg

...as they signed peace soon after the battle. I didn't have to finish my siege in Venice. I am quite happy of the outcome, although a bit disappointed of what happened with Aquileia. Lets take a look at our immediate surroundings and the Empire itself.

byzantinesinfull.jpg

Serbia and Wallachia are both free now, but I don't view them as much of a threat, rather as something I should defend in the future. I don't want to share a border with any big European nations and after regaining all my cores I don't want to get involved in European wars - unless they own Muslim provinces.

I tried many times and failed to vassalise Naxos, so I guess they are another target, as well as the Knights. I wouldn't like to DOW any more European minors as my stability costs are quite high with all the different culture, different religion provinces.

To the north of me in Crimea; Greece has managed to declare independence. They are Orthodox so I will wait for the Golden Horde to reintegrate them. Milan also owns a piece of land there.

To the east and south we have three big Muslim powers; Persia, Mamluks and Timurids. Although there are 2-4 nations between me and actual Timurid lands, they do happen to own Erserum (the isolated reddish province in Anatolia). Mamluks are allied with Candar, so I will probably get to annex them when the next war with Mamluks brakes out.

Armenia and Georgia have managed to keep their independence so far. I can't remember whether Croatia broke free from Hungary or Poland demanded of their release, as they were free already when I signed the white peace with Poland.

conversions.jpg

The Orthodox faith is spreading nicely through my Turkish subjects. I'm wishing for Bithynia to convert soon as it is a very rich province.

Last edited:
Next update in approximately 30 minutes. Need to take a little brake from writing. :)

@ thebigboss-89: Ah I see, but if they get offended by the title, they will most likely a) take a look at the thread and read the first post(s), b) contact me or c) contact a mod/admin.

And thank you, hope you'll enjoy it in the future too. :)

@ Eöl: Hmm... an interesting idea, but let me finish this goal first. I'll see whether I continue after that or not. :)

Also, I don't have much experience on modding in a completely new religion to EU3.

Different religion give nations different bonuses and penalties in IN. Here's a list of them:

Code:
[B]Christians:[/B]

Catholic, stability cost 20:
+1 colonists per year
+2 diplomats per year
+20% chance on colonist being successful
+0.25 missionaries per year
-1 tolerance on heretics
+10% chance on conversion

Protestant, stability cost 30:
+10% to production efficiency
+10% to national tax modifier
+0.5 colonists per year
+1 diplomat per year
+0.2 missionaries per year
+1 tolerance on heretics

Reformed, stability cost 30:
+0.5 colonists per year
+1 diplomat per year
+1 tolerance on heretics
+10% trade efficiency
+10% global colonial growth speed
-10% national tax modifier
+9% chance on conversion

Orthodox, stability cost 15:
+0.5 diplomats per year

[B]Muslims:[/B]

Sunni, stability cost 20:
+10 chance on conversion
-4% chance for others to convert Sunni provinces

Shiite, stability cost 20:
+0.5 to land morale
+9 chance on conversion
-5% national tax modifier
-1 tolerance on heathens
-4% chance for others to convert Shiite provinces

[B]"Eastern":[/B]

Buddhism, stability cost 20:
+11.7% chance on conversion
+2 tolerance for heretics
-20% national tax modifier

Hinduism, stability cost 25:
+5% national tax modifier
+11.7% chance on conversion

Confucianism, stability cost 20:
-50% national tax modifier
+6.7% chance on conversion

Shinto, stability cost 15:
+0.5 to land morale
-20% national tax modifier
+6.7% chance on conversion
-1 tolerance on heathens
-3% chance for others to convert Shinto provinces

[B]Pagan:[/B]

Animism, stability cost 10:
+16.7% chance on conversion
-50% on missionary costs for others who try to convert Animism province
Pagan nations can be annexed in a single war no matter of their size

Shamanism, stability cost 10:
+16.7% chance on conversion
-50% on missionary costs for others who try to convert Animism province
Pagan nations can be annexed in a single war no matter of their size

Stability cost attached to religion means, that every province of that religion adds the cost to your total stability cost.

Heretics are other religions inside your religion group. For example Shiite are heretics to Sunnis and Protestants are heretics for Orthodox. Heathens are all religions outside of your religion group, and you do not need casus belli or lose stability when you declare war on them.

@ GregoryTheBruce: Yes it's a sham indeed. Especially when my stability costs are 10 times larger than my income. But Greece shall be united one day anyways.

And that's quite lucky indeed! What happened after that? Taking on the Ottos?

Winner: Hehe, I need to make some twist around this. Didn't even think of it that way. :D

Always nice to see the Venetians humbled :)

Peacefully converting my provinces, building my economy and enjoying the Anatolian countryside. Then suddenly Hungary pulls me into yet another war.

anothersuccession-1.jpg

It's been 40 years into the game and they've managed to get themselves involved in 3 separate succession wars already. And now they have pulled me with them. There's only one way out of this; Hungary must be ruled from Constantinople from now on.

marchtomunchen.jpg

It didn't take too long for my men to reach München. Luckily they are alone in this war, so it should be a quick one.

I sent two armies to north; one will chase down the Bavarian troops while the other will spread around their provinces and siege them.

bohaccess.jpg

Gaining access into Bohemia allowed me to keep some troops resting in the north, giving them ability to defend my northern sieges.

As you can see Aquileia is putting the peace money into good use in Italy.

wonoberpfaltz.jpg

In Oberpfaltz I finally managed to destroy their entire army. Now it would be just matter of months before Bavarian provinces would fall.

unionwithhungary.jpg

I don't want Bavarian provinces. As I stated earlier, I want to stay away from European business and focus entirely on my goal. This will do just fine, I will need the money in the future.

Now lets hope this will keep the Hungarians out of trouble once and for all. I can't afford my precious time to keep saving them from their neighbours. Nor can I afford them eating up Hungary and becoming my neighbours. This was actually a quite good outcome.

coawrds.jpg

Then it was time to continue uniting Greece. I have marked over the traitorous nations that did not join the war on their allies' side.

peopleflee.jpg

As my troops were already in Bavaria, it was best to take care of Venice and Aquileia first. I managed to bribe military access from Austria and started sieging provinces from these two nations.

I also moved my sliders towards Free Subjects again - this time abolishing serfdom. The illusion of freedom caused many to run off from the rich Aleppo to the desert surrounding it.

novgorodally.jpg

While in the midst of war, the Orthodox brothers in Novgorod seem interested in forming an alliance. This is very welcomed news as we have one common threat and enemy; Golden Horde.

Nothing new of the war. I am sieging majority of my enemies' provinces and just waiting for them to surrender.

unitedgreece.jpg

And then, in 19th of October, 1443 mainland Greece was finally reclaimed for the Eastern Roman Empire. This would become a national fest and remains as such even today.

I am also fighting in the east against Armenia and Georgia. Let's see how things are going over there.

vassalarmenia.jpg

Ah! My troops just finished the siege of Armenia. Do not consider this as a subjugation, no. I guarantee you it is done solely in the intention of guarding the faithful Armenians from the dangers of the heathens surrounding them. Same with Georgia. Both nations shall receive their full independence once the world has been purged of the religion of Islam.

For now, it is safer for them to remain in my fatherly protection.

pingpongarmy.jpg

The Georgians were fighting bravely, although they should have just have surrendered in the first place. No need to fight your brothers in faith. In history books, the battles between Gerogian and Byzantine troops were later named as 1st battle of Imereti, 1st battle of Trebizon, 2nd battle of Imereti, 2nd battle of Trebizon, 3rd battle of... and so on up to 16th in both provinces.

Later, a popular video game was made of these battles:

pongbattle.jpg

peaceaquileia.jpg

Back in Italy we finally came to terms with the Aquileians. As they couldn't pay back my lost money, we agreed they would serve me for some time as a payment. I don't mind a few extra troops from a vassal in case I have to get into European power politics again.

Soon the Gerogians too noticed that it was better to serve under my rule and play safe in the crossroads of Europe and Asia. They couldn't have timed it better. As soon as we had came to terms, others were already trying to exploit Georgia's weakness:

gerogiawar.jpg

Love the pong reference, and it is interesting to see you 'lose' a war. Though in the long run that was best!

Congrats on unifying Greece, what is your next mission?

Weird, it's like the game is trying to drag you away from the mission and into Europe.
Also heh, pong. :D

On the 'Cult of Reason':
Code:
[B]Non-Deist:[/B]

Atheism, Stability Cost 30
+3 tolerance for heretics
+12% chance on conversion
+0.5 colonists per year
+5% global colonial growth speed
+1 diplomat per year
+15% Science! (Or something)
What do you think? You’d also need plausible series of events as well.

I confess quite an interest in seeing how war is conducted against Egypt and the Timurids - I don't know how strong or many your armies are, so this could prove quite interesting.

Why do the Anatolian provinces still have these ugly heathen names? ;)

Konya - bleh, it's Iconium! :D

@ Eöl: Indeed. You'd think they have some compassion for my just cause. :mad:

And as I said, I'll think about your idea once finished with my initial goal, but I won't promise anything yet. :)

@ Beamed: You can see the strength of my armies in the side bar. In regiments, I have two armies consisting of 5 cavalry regiments and 9 infantry ones, and one extra army with 5 cavalry regiments and 4 infantry ones, which I mainly use to tackle rebels (hence the name 'rebel watch'). So the setup is not ideal for confronting three out of my four massive neighbours.

@ Winner: As I said I am already in the 1500s in the game, I just started writing an AAR of the game. I have changed the names in game, but you won't see the new names until 15xx (can't remember exact year). Still need to figure a nice twist why and how the provinces were renamed :)

Just read through from the beginning. You sure make short work of the muslims. Sad though that you're getting sidetracked by those pesky Hungarian succession wars so often! Now let's finish the conquest of all Asia Minor and end Candar and Trabzon's independence!

Popular video game indeed :D

Considering the crusading nature of the AAR, you seem to be spending alot of time fighting westward. Perhaps your troops need to borrow a compass? ;)