• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very nice AAR so far, and it shall be interesting to see how well the knights can do in liberating the Holy Land, it seems the beginning has gone very well we can only hope it will continue this way, but I guess it will be harder when you have to fight stronger and larger nations, but I sure hope the knights will win. Good luck

Dysken: A la mode, no less!

ComradeOm: Oh, it's even worse when you can't raise the money on your own to purchase any regiments. . .

SonofWinter: Ah hehehe, that's a typo there. I'll just fix that. . . but thanks for the save, man. I always kinda 'skim' when I re-read my writing, and I was in a rush too, so it's good someone can help me edit.

Lord E: Oh it's gone well I believe to sheer luck (divine intervention? WoooOOoooo!) because I was close to a one province minor with no alliances.

My favorite target!

You have to start a grand endeavour with a small step.

nice ;) maybe you would consider going the same path, as i did ;) good luck!

Well, then good luck truely. Maybe you could try your hand at trading? :rofl: Oh, i forget that Grandmaster of the Order don;t even have two gold coins to rub together. A truely nasty task and even more so with shortage of manpower. :eek:

Cheers

Sap.

stnylan: Tiny steps. Very, very tiny steps. :(

Avocado Aguila: I'll take that into consideration. I can always learn from another's mista- I mean example.

Sapphire: My merchants dominated Alexandria for about 3 months. Then all 4(!!) were gone. Now I don't have the money to send merchants. :(

Well that first test was a major success. I should not think you'll be stopping anytime soon, so move forward and spread the word of God!

The Final Crusade
A Knights AAR

This is my first AAR. I thought I'd give it a shot.
Made with Vanilla Eu3 1.1.
If I mention ducats, I have multiplied the real amount by 100 for the sake of realism.

knightsaarcopyhj9.jpg

Chapter 3: The Imposter

Rhodes, Winter 1466

Grandmaster Piero Raimondo Zacosta tossed another log of wood into the fireplace, causing an explosion of sparks that danced across the stones before fading into nothingness. Zacosta returned to his desk, but was halted midway by a coughing fit. Rhodes had been hit by unseasonably cold winter, and Zacosta himself had fallen ill. Wiping his sore nose on his sleeve, the grandmaster gathered his parchments into a neat pile before resuming his work.

It had been 2 years since the conquest of Karaman, and Zacosta had been working furiously to find a new target for his Knights. In fact, Zacosta had a sneaking suspicion that his illness was a result of God's displeasure with his progress.

A loud knock at his door caused Zacosta to jump in his chair. Suprise became embarrassment at his inatentivness. Even his illness was no excuse for being so slack in his duties that he cannot even hear approaching footsteps. Clearing his throught, Zacosta hoarsly whispered "Come in."

The large swung wide to reveal a Hospitaller in black habit, who came to attention. "My Grandmaster, may I introduce Geoffroi Dragas, son of Charlotte of Cyprus." A tall, stately man entered at the sound of his name, bowing deeply and with an elegant flourish. His neatly trimmed beard, expensive clothing, and proud bearing immediatly marked him out as a member of the aristocracy.

"My liege, my name is Geoffroi Dragas, son of -"

"I heard that already!" Zocasta barked at the dandy, regretting his outburst as he was racked with more coughing. Dragas seemed unfazed by Zacosta's outburst, and patiently waited until Zocasta regained his breath. Zacosta cleaned the spittle from his mouth before continuing. "The last I heard, Charlotte of Cyprus was both childless and no longer in Cyprus."

"Well, yes, that is what most people believe." Dragas' manicured hand dipped into his overcoat, producing a worn sheet of parchment. "However, this official royal family tree shows that my father, one of Charlotte's guards, and the Queen had an affair, and produced me." Taking the document, Zacosta scanned it quickly. "And because the Queen was childless, I have a rightfull claim to the throne!"

The official royal family tree was an obvious fake, and a poor one at that. In fact, if he had not been feeling so miserable from his illness, Zacosta would have laughed right in the mans face. Instead, he shoved his chair back and rose to his feet, prepared to unleash the furious anger a full week of idleness and sickness had bottled up inside him.

But wait! A small voice in the back of Zacosta's head gave him pause. This could be the opportunity you're looking for. The muslim nations around us are too great a threat. But Cyprus is weak, isolated. And did God not give you, his favoured, the mission to conquer all the lands where heretics live? "And adultery is a heresy against God."

"What?" Dragas asked, confusion written across his face. As suddenly as it appeared Zocasta's anger dissipated, and he dropped back into his seat. "Ahem. So, you say you have rightfull claims on the Cyprus crown, Dragas? I expect you might wish for some help in. . . reclaiming what is rightfully yours. As long as God wills it."

It took a few seconds for Dragas to realize what Zacosta was offering, but then a sly grin crossed his face. "Why, yes. Yes, I might just need your help, by the grace of God."

Very good update. So, was this a border dispute or a succession war?

daemonofdecay: ...It took a few seconds for Dragas to realize what Zacosta was offering, but then a sly grin crossed his face. "Why, yes. Yes, I might just need your help, by the grace of God."

this Zacosta is sharp, really sharp ! ! :D

splendid update ! !
:cool:

Neat update.:D Shame about the merchants, it is just that trading favoured National Policy need to be selected before you can truely make money out of it.

:D Interesting, I am not sure to be honest, Rhodes is Holy Order so they can't marry. So it is likely to be border dispute, even then, it doesn't work on islands as far I can see... :(

Will look forward to new update :)

Cheers

Sap.

Great update, that sure was a great idea the grandmaster had, and this will be a good possibility to get your knights some more training, although they are not heathens I guess you could say that they are heretics, and it is obviously God’s will that the grandmaster conquers Cyprus, so I wish you good luck :)

Yes, no need for any Christian competition in the East.

Very interesting history. I was recently thinking about taking the Knights to do a crusade and reconquest the holy land in EU2, but it was my first time with them and I throwed myself direclty against the Mameluks with only Cyprus as ally, the result was that I conquered nothing and soon I got bankrupted.
But you encouraged me to try again!

The Final Crusade
A Knights AAR

This is my first AAR. I thought I'd give it a shot.
Made with Vanilla Eu3 1.1.
If I mention ducats, I have multiplied the real amount by 100 for the sake of realism.

knightsaarcopyhj9.jpg

Chapter 4: The True King

Gulf of Cyprus, Spring 1466

The Hospitaller fleet was an awesome sight, the wood galleys slicing through the waves with an effortless ease. The sails rippled in the breeze as the oarmen powered the ship onward. Grandmaster Zacosta's hair whipped around his face, dampened by the occational spray of salt water. "There it is, Dragas. Your birthright." Zacosta pointed at the distant island of Cyprus, turning to the 'heir' to the Cyprus throne.

"Yes, Grandmaster , I know. I was born there." Geoffroi Dragas looked decidedly uncomfortable in his black and white Hospitaller tunic, his tone impatient. "I don't understand why I must join your order. I already promised my service to you." Zacosta's gaze returned to the horizon.

"Because, Dragas, you are a bastard and a liar, and we both know that." Dragas oppened his mouth incredulously, but Zacosta silenced him with a raised hand. "Don't even try to deny it, Dragas. We both know how 'authentic' your claim to the throne is." His face flush with embarasment, Dragas dropped his eyes to the deck, wringing his hands.

"Didn't think I knew when I agreed to help you, eh Dragas?" Zacosta chuckled to himself, leaning on the ships railing. "We're not an order of idiots, Dragas." The humor left Zacosta's voice, and he coldy continued, "You best remember that, bastard son. We control you, as God controls us. We are on a Holy Quest, and no little miscreant like you will impede us. Understand?"

Suitably Chastised, Dragas nodded meekly. "Now return to your quarters, Brother. We will reach Cyprus within the day, and there will be much work on our arrival." Dragas turned and nearly fled the grandmaster's presence, leaving Zacosta alone with his thoughts.

- - - - -

Cyprus, Late Summer 1466

The former King of Cyprus, James the 2nd, knelt before Zacosta. His now now filthy clothing torn and shredded from his capture during the bitter fight for the breach. The smell of battle hung heavily in the air, like an invisible fog. Zacosta could taste it on the back of his tongue. It tasted like victory.

k013df6.png

"James the Bastard, former king of Cyprus." James slowly raised his head at the mention of his name, his eyes swollen from his crying. Whether tears of fear or anger, Zacosta didn't care. "The Holy order of the Knights of Rhodes, in God's most gracious mercy, do offer you terms of surrender." Zacosta motioned with one hand, and a scribe scampered over carrying a long parchment covered in meticulously inked text. "We do offer you the chance to exchange your life for the return of the crown of Cyprus to it's rightfull owner and proper heir."

A frown crossed James' face at the mention of an heir. "But I am the heir. Charlotte was barren." Zacosta motioned again, and another figure stepped forward. "May I introduce Geoffroi Dragas, bastard son of Charlotte, Queen of Cyprus, and the true heir to the throne." Dragas pulled back the hood from his habit, grinning at King James. With a snarl, James leapt to his feet, only to have the Knights on either side of him roughly force him back to the ground.

"That lying sack of shit! He is no heir!" James shouted in anger, trying to break free of the knights' firm grip. "He is nothing more than an goddamned imposter! He-"

Zacosta's mailed fist backhanded James with a sickening crack, a spray of red-tinted spittle and broken teeth shooting from his shattered mouth. "Do not take the Lord thy God's name in vain in my presence!" Zacosta gripped the sides of James' head, screaming furiously into the man's bloody face. "Do you hear me you miserable creature? DO YOU?" The knights were stunned at the ferocity and suddeness of the outburst. The only noise that of Zacosta's heaving breathing and the faint dripping of blood from James' smashed face.

And as suddenly as it had appeared, the raging madness was gone. Zacosta turned to the frightened scribe. "Take this man to the cells. He will sign the paper when he awakens." Wordlessly the scribe bowed, motioning the two knights to pick up thier unconcious prisoner. Zacosta turned and faced Dragas, who looked nauseated by the blood splashed across the grey stone floor. "Consider yourself King of Cyprus, Dragas." The imposter attempted a smile, but covered his mouth when his stomach started spinning again.

"From one bastard to another," General d'Ambray whispered to his aide, who nodded in agreement.

Dragas hurriedly turned to excuse himself, but Zacosta continued continued. "However, a member of the order does not own any personal belongings beyond his own gear and that to which his station necesitates." An icy chill ran down Dragas' spine, his queasy stomach temporarily forgotten. "Wait, what?"

"No man here is allowed to retain claims on any estates, lands, or titles. Everything we own becomes part of the order. Even those obtained in battle." Zacosta pointed at the black tunic Dragas was wearing. "And because you, Geoffroi Dragas, Son of Charlotte, King of Cyprus, are a part of this most holy order, it is my God given duty to announce that the Kingdom of Cyprus shall henceforth be governed directly by the Knights Hospitaller, and the throne of Cyprus is no more. It is as God wills."

Dragas threw up.

Dysken: Neither, really. More like a flimsy excuse to conquer a non-muslim nation.

GhostWriter: Yeah, hes as sharp as a knifes blade. And thanks!

Sapphire: The problem isn't my policy sliders, it's the lack of enough money to actually dispatch the merchants! I hate being poor. :(

Lord E: Training would be nice, knowing that I'll be outnumbered 200,000 to 1 against the turks. (I might be exagerating, but not by much.)

stnylan: This ain't the 'The Knights and Friends AAR', to be sure!

Leumatiello: Yeah, same kind of thing first happened to me when I first played as the Knights. I got into big war, lost my army, and then rebels appeared on my capitol when my missionary failed. Plus I was bankrupt.

But I like to think most people have games like that. And I'm glad I gave you your second wind!

I like it, good job being a <thinking> (nope can't use that word, no that one isn't appropriate either) </thinking> Well, good job anyway. :rofl:

Bitchslapped with an armoured glove, that's gotta hurt!

Now that is what I call nicely done! Zacosta knows how to play them for sure.