6 Badges
Jun 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I want to write a Rurikid AAR. But I want to do it with a twist. I don't want to write the story of Rurikids, glorious family, uniting Russia, creating Empire by 900 and proceeding to conquer the world.

I want to write a story of this vast dysfunctional family from their unknown beginnings to their timely, well deserved demise. I want to show you them, proud princes, squabbling over, backstabbing each other, murdering, raiding and pillaging. Building cities and cathedrals. Fighting an endless uphill battle about the Great Steppe, co-existing with it, conquering it, or dying in it.

The story of the family started by the man we'll never know anything about and ended by the boy, playing with the knife.

The story of the family, that needed to be culled by Mongols to remember where power lies.

The story of the family that learned their lesson and turned the table against the great Chingizids.

The story of the family that was culled the second time, by Wrath Crowned, Ivan IV himself. It takes a Rurikid to destroy Rurikids.

The story of the family, that ruled for 748 years.

So, how I'm going to do it. I won't show Rurik himself. I'm not convinced by the Norman theory, and don't think he was Norse. I don't want to mod him as Western Slav, to mod in his brothers and stuff like that. I'll start after his death. I won't play good, I want the country to fragment and crumble, I want to have pagan invasions as a real threat. I will use concubines to create a near-endless sea of Rurikids to dethrone, backstab and kill each other. I will not play one line in strict succession, I'll be changing between characters from the different branches of the family. If I'm lucky, I'll take Rurikids from here:
SA9PXa7.jpg

V. Vasnetsov "The Summoning of Rurik"​
through here:

jYlzIEJ.jpg

The Coronation of Ivan IV​
to there:
6dzYqlQ.jpg

S. Blinkov "Prince Dmitiy"​

I'll be using HIP mod, with all submods, exept VIET Immersion, and Generational Inbreeding mod.

Last edited:

volksmarschall

DeFi
31 Badges
Nov 29, 2008
voegelinview.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I hope this doesn't mean your are going to be stopping your other AAR of the Afghan Hindu Empire! ;)

On this note, I am much interested in how you proceed with the AAR. After all, I am also doing a "decline and fall" AAR of my own - somewhat interesting in the sense that the title implies some sort of defeat/failure than your usual "I'm going to conquer the world" or "Look how good I am" that underlay most AARs.

Cheers!

ekorovin

Lt. General
6 Badges
Jun 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
No, I'm not going to drop Afghan Empire. I'm also not entirely sure how to proceed with this Rurikid AAR, so it would be a slow endeavor, at least for the first time.