• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
don't overextand yourself, AE efficiency + increased tech cost can turn out really crippling, i like your idea of vassalising Adal;
as for Massava on second thoughts i realised with MMP2 it's better to have a port, preferably not this one though :)

etiopialogo.png

Chapter IV - Dawit I
Part II​

After the Adalese campaign, Dawit wanted to step back and consolidate his realm, improve the economic situation and improve the poor relations with the other countries. In July 1408, patriots in Mogadishu rioted against the current, oppressing government. Dawit I crushes the patriots totally, only losing 30 of his own spearmen.

chargey.png

Ethiopian Spearmen charging against the rebels

Dawit's empire is filled with heathens; unfortunately missionaries demand too much support foro their conversion job, and the nation is on the edge of bankruptcy. During the next year, Dawit received a message from the southern tribe of Mutapa. They wanted to ally with Dawit I to gain protection from Swahili. Dawit was surprised of this act of kindship; Mutapa is a Fetishist tribe, and has no cultural similarities. Later that year, Dawit also received an alliance offer from Tripoli. Tripoli was somewhere in the north, where our maps didn't reach.
Suddenly, after the victorious war, Ethiopia's diplomatic situation has increased. Only Adal and Swahili are utterly against Dawit, but that's understandable.
In early 1409, Ethiopia became a more stable country, despite the increased piracy in the newly integrated regions with sea access.

Diplomatic situation was under control, but the internal political situation wasn't. Our government is inefficient to rule this big of a realm. And when Dawit tried to improve the situation by centralizing the empire, many parts of the realm complied, resulting in the loss of merchants.
The bad era lasted for three years, until in 1411 Ethiopia's government was considered competent again. Trade was quickly back on track, when Dawit sent merchants to Zanzibar and Alexandria, the flowing economic centers near Ethiopia.
Later in the same year, piracy broke out in Mogadishu, resulting in growing inflation.

ethiopia.png
Dawit I's realm as of 1413​
On August 6th, 1413, Dawit I died and Malta Krestos I rose to power. This caused our relations with the neighbouring countries to improve, as well as the economic situation. Malta was a good administrator and a military commander, but he lacked diplomacy skills. We can only hope that this doesn't lead to any problems.

Mutapa is only good against Swahili, Tripoli might be more useful as they probably have access through Mamluk land (or can help you against the Mamluks).

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I can't see them. They're in TI, so I guess I can't improve my relations. They're a hidden ally.

How is your ability to do trading?

Mamelukes in the only visible CoT at first (maybe Swahili's as well?), and they usually embargo me, or I just can't stay competitive without using up precious NIs.

The only way I could see using Africa's quite decent trade goods is to take Swahili's, but that thing is an island, and is not across a Strait, meaning you need to have transports.. something devilishly expensive with your tech level and no NIs.

There are many Ivory provinces along the coast, and they are very nice monopolies when you get them...

Nice update. Like the picture.
Yemen looks nice. I'm unfamiliar with Ethiopia, so I don't know, but can you take Yemen?

How is your ability to do trading?

Mamelukes in the only visible CoT at first (maybe Swahili's as well?), and they usually embargo me, or I just can't stay competitive without using up precious NIs.

The only way I could see using Africa's quite decent trade goods is to take Swahili's, but that thing is an island, and is not across a Strait, meaning you need to have transports.. something devilishly expensive with your tech level and no NIs.

There are many Ivory provinces along the coast, and they are very nice monopolies when you get them...
I can see Zanzibar, Alexandria and Samarkand. Trade tech 1.

Nice update. Like the picture.
Yemen looks nice. I'm unfamiliar with Ethiopia, so I don't know, but can you take Yemen?

Well, technically yes, but because of the nasty modifiers, one transport costs 90 ducats each.

i envy your skills, like Iamwinterborn i remember trading in my game as Ethiopia, it was nightmarish - i couldn't keep my merchants in Alexandria or Zanzibar (frequent wars with Suahili) and considering their costs... i gave up on it until a CoT spawned in one of my provs (but that was a few MMs back:))

You're doing great...I like the picture too, good selection...and, here's hoping you can westernize...

Last edited:
How do you do all these AAR's at once? I love when people play African nations but a I agree that this area of the globe needs some more focus by the game designers.

Best of luck!

How do you do all these AAR's at once? I love when people play African nations but a I agree that this area of the globe needs some more focus by the game designers.

Best of luck!

You don't even want to know how many games I'm playing...
Two EU3 AAR Games, Three EU3 normal games (with Timurids, Muscowy and Byzantium), and in addition I'm playing the Saboteur, Empire: Total War and Fallout 3. But it's going to change; school starts tomorrow :(.