• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fanoI

General
2 Badges
Aug 26, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello to all!

This is the presentation thread of "The Empires of God" a mod that I am working by myself from some months.

Scope of The Mod
In a lot of forum threads there are a lot of talks about the fact that being an Emperor is not simply be more that a King and that that more flavor should be added. In particular in the Christian world be an Emperor gave to you a sort of sacral aura, the coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor was similar to the creation by the Pope of a Cardinal. It is for this that the Emperor had, in the middle ages these prerogatives:
  1. A sacral aura of sort that gives to him the authority to guide all the Christendom
  2. The fact that his should elect the Pope because The Emperor is indeed a Cardinal!
  3. There should be only one Empire in the west, the successor state of the Western Roman Empire is only one!
Regarding the third point this do not implicate that this mod will remove ahistorical Empires because for the developer(s) point of view, they, indeed existed at least the ones in Western Europe: they are, indeed, the remnant of the Roman Prefectures but a Christian ruler will call himself simply King not Emperor for respect of the Holy Roman Emperor; in any case creating one of the so called Prefecturial Empires give access to one interesting possibilities: try to convince the Pope that you are the real Roman Emperor and get the Imperial crown for yourself, doing this will upset the false Emperor that will declare war on you.

In the Orthodox world similar situations with the Byzantine Emperor and the pretender Empires of Bulgaria and Serbia could be tough.

Outer the Christian world we have similar situations any Muslim Emperor tried to become a Caliph and only after this is Emperorship become factual, a Persian Zoroastrian Emperor was a semi God, in China and Japan they were practically the Head of the Church.

A Tier above Emperor
For this mod a concept of tier above Emperor is present some Empires are so bigger that could be logically divided in two or more Empires and for sure had Emperors as vassals.
This is for example the situation when the Roman Empire was divided in Prefectures, the Prefectures was not Emperors but commanded the same respect and, indeed, with the Tetrarchy they became effectively Emperors, but one of this Emperors held all the others as his vassals.
Successively the Roman Empire was divided in two parts: Western Roman Empire and Eastern Roman Empire but the Eastern Roman Emperor held Seniority on the other.
The Emperor of China considered himself a divine figure and so had no problem to vassalize Kaghan of Mongols, The “Emperor” of Korea and The Emperor of Japan, but in this case it would be more correct to talk of tributary States.
In more modern period the Kings (Emperors) of Spain and England / Britain vassallized tribal Empires without problems.

As (for now) Crusader King II does not permit to add tiers this is accomplished inverting in some sense the concept that is a Roman Emperor is an Emperor while and independent Emperor of Hispania is called High King Hispania (if Christian is only King) but if vassal of the Emperor is a Praetorian Prefect of normal King rank (that is you get a giant Kingdom of Spain in the map without Castile, Galicia and so on...).

Some example of these Empires: Roman Empire, Arabian Empire, North Sea Empire (Midgar?) and Indian Empire.

De Jure High Kingdoms in 876 AD (Europe only)

De Jure High Kingdoms in 876 AD (The East)

De Jure High Kingdoms in 1066

Translatio Imperium and Pretenders
The people of the Middle Ages had the conception that, in reality, the Western and Eastern Roman Empire had never ended but simply continued with some period of interregnum. Charles the Great was considered a Roman Emperor in all effects in par with Julius Caesar, Augustus, Trajan, Nero and so on.
In the East the Greek Empire of Byzantium held the same claim but in reality more time passed and it become more and more Hellenized until it lose totally it Roman heritage.
We, as powerful men of the future, known that, in reality, these two states were not the real thing but only
the rightful successor states of the Roman Empire and so in the mod are the ones entitled with the possibility to reform it.
As already said other Empires could exists and some are entitled with the possibility to be Pretenders to be Successor of The Roman Empire:

S.P.Q.R. special Empire that can be created by "The Commune of Rome" after the conquest of all the Italian Peninsula if you have played the mod called "The Commune of Rome" in it was called Western Roman Empire but I have reevaluated this as an exaggeration
2. (High) Kingdom of Germania, ex Holy Roman Empire after being defeated by S.P.Q.R.
3. (High) Kingdom of Italia, ex S.P.Q.R. after being defeated by (High) Kingdom of Germania (that will be H.R.E. again)
3. Tzardom of Bulgaria and Romània
4. Tzardom of Serbia and Romània
5. Tzardom of Russia
6. Empire of Trebizond
7. Latin Empire (or if you prefer "Empire of Romània")
8. Empire of Nicaea

the pretender will have a special casus belli against the rightful successor state and when used it could trigger a sort of "great war" that could involve other important rulers that could pick a side or another. In the end of the war a conference of Peace will be held by the victor to redrawn the new face of Europe.

(more images when I end the work on this event chain)

Coronations
A concept of coronations is already part of the mod thanks to "Rex In Regno Suo Est Imperator" that it in part integrated but more flavour will be added for example the Holy Roman Emperor in future will hold after the election only the title of (High) King of Germania and only after he has obtained the crown of King of Italy he could become Holy Roman Emperor if the Pope likes him. Other important coronation rituals will be added for example the

Coronation of the King of Hungary with all the concept of Apostolic King.

Coronation of Emperor of the Romans

Coronation of Emperor of the Romans (narrative event)

More difficult to reform the Roman Empire
Reforming the Roman Empire is no more simply as collect disparate territories but you need before to held the titles of Western and Eastern Roman Emperor and to obtain these titles will be not easy.

To become the Western Roman Emperor you need :
1. To be the Rightful successor state of the Western Roman Empire (usually the Holy Roman Emperor)
2. No pretender to be successor should be present in the West
3. You should be (High) King of Italia
4. You should be (High) King of Francia
5. You should be (High) King of Hispania
6. If Catholic the Pope must be your vassal

To become the Eastern Roman Emperor you need:
1. To be the Rightful successor state of the Eastern Roman Empire (usually the Byzantine Empire)
2. No pretender to be successor should be present in the East
3. You should be (High) of Illiria
4. You should be (High) King of Hellas (usually called Byzantine Empire)
5. You should be the (High) King of Aegyptus
6. If Orthodox the Ecumenical Patriarch must be your vassal

Praetorian Prefectures
When the Western or Eastern Roman Empire is reformed a special decision to recreate the Roman Prefectures will be present that gives the possibility to fuse the petty realms of the feudal kings in more powerful administrative units. From the game point of view imagine this as a sort of Viceroyal Emperors!
This titles will be a sort of mixed titles as they will be landed but in some way mercenaries has they will be always a standing army linked to the title itself called, obviously, Legion.
It is easy to understand that they are a powerful tool but they have they drawbacks too what happens if one of the Praetorian Prefect become ambitious? Well he could declare himself to be the true Emperor declaring war to the Emperor himself. If you know the history of Rome or if you are a Game of Thrones fan you should know how this operated if not know what I'm talking go play to AGOT or, better, take a good history book ;)

The Defender of the Faith
This was my last work as modder of "The Commune of Rome" but as I fear it is too little publicized I think it is better to talk of it here.
The Defender of the Faith is, for now, used only for Catholic characters it is a special trait given by the Pope to a meritous King or above character. The character that receive this trait gets obviously prestige and piety but it gets duties too:
  1. He is called in any defensive war of the Pope (no more easy to vassalize the Pope only because you have an Anti Pope!)
  2. He is called in any offensive war of the Pope (typically Crusades)
  3. He has a special Casus Belli against who usurped Rome from the Pope
Usually this character will be the Holy Roman Emperor but it is not always so if for example between the Pope and Holy Roman Emperor are... problems (the Emperor is excommunicated, has an Anti Pope, he is defending an enemy of the Pope).
For other information I link the last developer diary of the Commune of Rome in which you will find more informations and images.

Some images:

The_Defender_of_the_Faith.png

Choice_of_the_Defender_of_the_Faith.png

Defender_of_the_Faith_Selected.png

Future expansion of the Mod

I have a lot of great ideas for this mod: the first path of expansion is in the other great Empires for example Dar Al Islam (Arabian Empire), an Empire for the Nordic Pagan held by the Fylkir(for now I call it "The Fylkirate"), an expansion of the religious expect of the mod with the God(s) effectively represented as characters (God Odin of Valhalla) that in some way interact with the characters, the investiture conflict with the concept of Guelph and Ghibellines, more bookmarks for "The Commune of Rome" I have at least two bookmarks that I will add for sure one in which an heretic bishop came in Rome (Arnaldo da Brescia) converting the Commune to a catholic heresy and another regarding Cola di Rienzo. In the future I'd like to find a way to represent the Italian Communes too!

Integrated Mods
The Commune of Rome (frankatank109 and fanoI)
Rex In Regno Suo Est Imperator (Farathorn) with some adaptations

Credits

CK2+ Team for the flag of Gran Duchy of Tuscany
Athalcor for the flags of the different Englands based by culture and the accompanying events (actually inactive in the mod)
Flavorful Titular Titles (Various flags/CoAs, the actual decisions to create the titular titles will be not used)

Request for help
As you have seen the project ambitious and the task is really too big for only a man to accomplish so I need your help!
In particular:

1. A graphic to create traits icons, COA, flags and so on (in the current version of the mod there are lot of placeholders) in future will be possible that some change to the map will be necessary maybe to make all rivers navigable!
2. Other coders to help me with the bulk of events / decisions
3. Someone that beta test the mod

Last edited:
Reactions:

v0.001 (Alpha)

V0.002 (Alpha) (retired! wrong .mod file...)

V.0.002.1 (Alpha)

V0.003 (Alpha)

V0.004 (Alpha)

V0.005 (Alpha)

v0.001 (Alpha)
- First public release

v0.002 (Alpha)
- The Eastern Roman Empire after being formed obtains an Event in which is
declared "Pretender Successor State of W.R.E" after this it gets access to
specific casus belli and access to "The Conference of Peace"
- Modified "The Conference of Peace" event chain to make it more generic and usable by the Eastern Roman Empire
- The landed titles are now ordered in a logical way (e_rebels and e_pirates
readded maybe someone has not "The Old Gods"?)
- Restored decision "Lateran Teatry" for S.P.Q.R.
- Added icons for the traits "Successor State of WRE" and "Successor State of
ERE" and the corresponding pretenders traits.
- Called the Empires generically "High Kingdoms" and the holder "High Kings"
with specific localizations exceptions
- Added custom tooltips to simplify the text of some decisions

v0.0021 (Alpha)
- The previous version had the wrong .mod file, sorry for the inconvenience.

v0.003 (Alpha)
- Compatible with "The Horse Lord DLC" and accompagning patches
- RIRSEI events ID were no more OK because were > 99'999 changed them
all!
- Fixed RIRSEI decisions that referred to old laws

v0.004 (Alpha)
- The Roman Empire has its COA again and the law of the forming title
are maintened
- Modified the Latin Empire scenario now it starts in 1204/8/1 with the
Kingdom of Thessalonika (with Boniface of Montferrat as King) formed
under the Latin Empire, Nikea and Trebizond are present too
- Added history of the "Empire of Bulgaria and Romania" and "Serbia and
Romania"
- Now characters with the trait "Pretender Successor State of ERE" can
declare war on the successor, as with the West a Conference of Peace is
called
- Modified defines: a character can control 4 Duchies without penalties
- Modified de jure Kingdoms of Byzantium added Hellas, Epirus and Nikea.
Cyprus is de jure too with the duchy of Cyprus as its only vassal
- The Emperor of HRE can request the crown to the Pope if HRE is not his
primary title too
- Modified form HRE decision in CM scenario it does not destroy excess
Empire anymore and make de jure only the kingdoms of the primary Empire
- As the form HRE decision could replace Italia, Francia or Hispania
with HRE now the decision to reform the WRE takes this in account
- The decision to form the Empire of Russia needs to have the title
Kanate of Kievan Rus
- The Emperor of Trebizond has claim in Nikea and in the Greek territory
of Byzantium
- The Emperors of Bulgaria, Serbia, Russia and Trebizond now wear
Emperor crowns
- A Greek Kingdom is called a Despotate

v0.005 (Alpha)
- Restored RIRSEI event to create the Ottoman Empire
- Added decision to restore Byzantium
- Added decision to become a "new" Byzantium for Latine Empire, Serbia,
Bulgaria and Russia
- Removed event file CA.txt because events triggerd randomly
- The events Successor / Pretender of ERE / WRE should trigger only a
time for character life not any days!
- Event chain to give to the restored Byzantine Empire the Echumenical
Patriarcate and Varangardian Guard as his vassal
- Added custom regions of world_byzantium and world_megas_hellas

Last edited:
Reactions:
I must ask, how did you get RIRSEI partially integrated? Is it from the latest version that was never posted here? Because the scope seems to be very similar.

No I have started from the version it was posted here obviously I have requested the permission of the author!

The mods are not so equal, for example, in RIRSEI only the Holy Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Arabian Empire and Persian Empires existed as Imperial title the others were effectively King title (no Empire of Hispania but Kingdom of Hispania) this concept I don't liked as for me there was other Empires simply lesser prestigious that the ones deriving their glory from the Roman Empire. De facto the true Emperors will get special traits to give them more prestige to simulate a superior rank. The integration of RIRSEI is partial for this: the de jure setup is different!

No I have started from the version it was posted here obviously I have requested the permission of the author!

The mods are not so equal, for example, in RIRSEI only the Holy Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Arabian Empire and Persian Empires existed as Imperial title the others were effectively King title (no Empire of Hispania but Kingdom of Hispania) this concept I don't liked as for me there was other Empires simply lesser prestigious that the ones deriving their glory from the Roman Empire. De facto the true Emperors will get special traits to give them more prestige to simulate a superior rank. The integration of RIRSEI is partial for this: the de jure setup is different!
I would suggest you using the latest version as base instead, if the dejure system is the only difference.

Well I should think to do this I thought that RIRSEI was in reality dead as I've not seen new versions posted here. Could give me a link to the last version so I give a look to it (via PM if the forum rules does not permits link to other forums)?

The concepts of "The Empires of God" existed in my mind before I started to work on "The Commune of Rome" but yes it is correct to think that the barebone base of the mod is "The Commune of Rome" and RIRSEI but you will see that, in the future the two mods will start to diverge a lot.

I hope in this three holidays days to have the time to end the event chain I'm working from two weeks now that should transform a pretender to be successor of the Roman Empire (and I should find a more correct name to this trait it is too long) in the rightful successor of the Roman Empire.

Well I should think to do this I thought that RIRSEI was in reality dead as I've not seen new versions posted here. Could give me a link to the last version so I give a look to it (via PM if the forum rules does not permits link to other forums)?

The concepts of "The Empires of God" existed in my mind before I started to work on "The Commune of Rome" but yes it is correct to think that the barebone base of the mod is "The Commune of Rome" and RIRSEI but you will see that, in the future the two mods will start to diverge a lot.

I hope in this three holidays days to have the time to end the event chain I'm working from two weeks now that should transform a pretender to be successor of the Roman Empire (and I should find a more correct name to this trait it is too long) in the rightful successor of the Roman Empire.
He's still updating his mod but it's only in French, so there's that...

Nice job with the de jure empires, a lot of them needed to be broken up. One thing though, I'd put Sicily under Italia and Georgia and Armenia under a new Caucasian Empire to help stop Byzantine blobbing.

In reality the de jure set up is dynamic for example "Illiria" exists only after 1066 because at that time the Balkans have become independent from Byzantium, the same is for the Kingdom of Sicily that become part of Italia in 1166 because I've calculated that in that date would have de jure drifted out of Byzantium... the idea is to simulate in some way the decadence of Byzantium making de jure these "fantasy" Empires that in other dates are titular. For example in the CM bookmark in which the Byzantine Empire was more stronger I could give him the Empire of Aegyptum as his de jure territory too (but under Arab control).

Regarding the fact of a Caucasian Empire I'm unsure if there is an historical period in which Armenia and Georgia was not part of Byzantium? Maybe after the Fourth Crusade?

Another doubt I have is: should I give Byzantium a CB to help to regain the territory of this Empires helping him to reform the Eastern Roman Empire or not? I don't want to make it too much easy but neither too difficult or impossible...
For the HRE I'm pretty sure no special CB should exists.

Last edited:
In reality the de jure set up is dynamic for example "Illiria" exists only after 1066 because at that time the Balkans have become independent from Byzantium, the same is for the Kingdom of Sicily that become part of Italia in 1166 because I've calculated that in that date would have de jure drifted out of Byzantium... the idea is to simulate in some way the decadence of Byzantium making de jure these "fantasy" Empires that in other dates are titular. For example in the CM bookmark in which the Byzantine Empire was more stronger I could give him the Empire of Aegyptum as his de jure territory too (but under Arab control).

Regarding the fact of a Caucasian Empire I'm unsure if there is an historical period in which Armenia and Georgia was not part of Byzantium? Maybe after the Fourth Crusade?

Another doubt I have is: should I give Byzantium a CB to help to regain the territory of this Empires helping him to reform the Eastern Roman Empire or not? I don't want to make it too much easy but neither too difficult or impossible...
For the HRE I'm pretty no special CB should exists.
I know those lands were de jure Byzantine but the AI goes mental when it has too much land, that's what I meant. You could re-enable the old Imperial Reconquest CB for Byzantium but set it to "ai = no" if you want.

The Carolingian are the only one that I know were not King of Germania (but one could argue they retained the title of King of the Franks) and Holy Roman Emperors together the others were always King of Germania but sometimes the title used was King of the Romans... the two titles were somewhat confused in reality!

The title of (High) King of Germania in the first incarnation of the mod will exist only as a fall back title in case the Holy Roman Emperor loses his title to S.P.Q.R. I have yet to think well how to revamp correctly HRE.

In the first version of the mod I tried this approach to make Germania always de jure and H.R.E. a titular Empire but I feared it broke things so in the end I've returned to a vanilla setup at least for now...

The very first public alpha should give the possibility to form the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire and consequently the Roman Empire.

I'll try to not make the error we did with "The Commune of Rome" by the way: to release an incomplete thing and then release another incomplete thing months after the only result we obtained doing this was to make lose interest in the mod itself in the end!

The HRE has been titular since CM, Germania is the de jure empire for the area in the vanilla files. LoR has specific events that make the HRE lose prestige if the Roman Empire is restored while it exists. I wouldn't automatically destroy the HRE, but give the Roman Empire a special Imperial Dignity CB to wage a war that destroys it if they win. If they lose, they could lose their title and go back to being the Byzantine Empire.

It is so in landed_title but in reality when it is formed HRE replaces totally Germania look for example for the situation in 1066...

In my mod in reality Byzantium and HRE are all successors of the Eastern Roman Empire and Westerner Roman Empire and they have in some way already recognized the existence of one and the other only if Byzantium restores the Eastern Roman Empire then he needs to obtain a claim to be the successor of the Western Roman to restore the Roman Empire (as he needs all the two titles to reform the Roman Empire) and will do so first becoming... Emperor of Italia probably!
After this the same CB that S.P.Q.R. has is enabled to get the trait of rightful successor of the Westerner Roman Empire and then the conference of peace will be held to decide the H.R.E. fate (the only obligatory result is that H.R.E. will become the High Kingdom of Germania) for example if some territory will be annexed to the other or if for some motive part of it should become independent (for example the Kingdom of Bohemia has no more a reason to be part of Germania).

I find the idea of the peace conference good the problem I'm having and that I fear the possibilities are too much (SPQR vs HRE, Germania vs SPQR, Italia vs HRE, what if HRE was in reality formed by Francia? He should fall back to Francia not Germania!) and so I'll need to write 100 events! I'm already at 30 only with SPQR vs HRE...

In this Workers' day I am continuing the work on my mod I have decided to release an alpha to tease you more: the "Conference of Peace" thing will be simplified to permit in particular to Byzantium to reclaim the West so only this permutations will be present: S.P.Q.R vs H.R.E. and Italia (if ruled by the Byzantine Emperor / Eastern Roman Emperor) vs H.R.E.

I have some little doubts and so I am here to ask you:
  1. Actually Italia is an High Kingdom and so will be called (Kingdom of Italia / Basileia of Italia) maybe I should create some special Empire for this special case? If in the past was S.P.Q.R I'll recreate S.P.Q.R. but it is Byzantium / E.R.E. that is ruling it... do you have suggestion for a name of this title? My only idea is "Romanic Empire" that feels weird...
  2. If a Westerner Catholic Ruler puts his hands in the Byzantine Empire it is OK to rename it in "Latin Empire" (or more correctly "Empire of Romània) in your opinion? In the end it was called in that derogatory way to not recognize him as the real thing but in that case being ruled from a westerner and recognized by the Pope... I'm again opened to other suggestions.
Thanks for your help.

In this Workers' day I am continuing the work on my mod I have decided to release an alpha to tease you more: the "Conference of Peace" thing will be simplified to permit in particular to Byzantium to reclaim the West so only this permutations will be present: S.P.Q.R vs H.R.E. and Italia (if ruled by the Byzantine Emperor / Eastern Roman Emperor) vs H.R.E.

I have some little doubts and so I am here to ask you:
  1. Actually Italia is an High Kingdom and so will be called (Kingdom of Italia / Basileia of Italia) maybe I should create some special Empire for this special case? If in the past was S.P.Q.R I'll recreate S.P.Q.R. but it is Byzantium / E.R.E. that is ruling it... do you have suggestion for a name of this title? My only idea is "Romanic Empire" that feels weird...
  2. If a Westerner Catholic Ruler puts his hands in the Byzantine Empire it is OK to rename it in "Latin Empire" (or more correctly "Empire of Romània) in your opinion? In the end it was called in that derogatory way to not recognize him as the real thing but in that case being ruled from a westerner and recognized by the Pope... I'm again opened to other suggestions.
Thanks for your help.
1. You could go with the vanilla Empire of Italia as a sort of imperial Lombardy.
2. I'd leave it as the "Byzantine Empire" because the legal capital is still Constantinople, which was previously Byzantium.

The fact is that the vanilla "Empire of Italia" is in my game a (High) Kingdom, being ruled by a Greek character this is not really noticeable as the character has the title "Basileus" in any case (The Emperor of Byzantium is a "Basileus Autokratôr") but if the ruler of Byzantium would have been Catholic he would be called effectively King of Italia... well maybe I could use the Empire that I have created for the Prefect of Italia that become independent after a revolt that it is called "Italic Empire" on the model of the Gallic Empire.

Regarding the Byzantine Empire ruled from the West (or by Roman cultured characters) called "Byzantine Empire" I see this name as derogatory in some way as the same level of calling it "Empire of the Greek" for sure indicated that was not "The Roman Empire" indeed it was not in this way that the Byzantines called it (they called it simply "The Roman Empire"... in Greek), with in the IV Crusade it historically happened the name use was Latin Empire so it seems historically correct! This gives me another possibilities too: the defeated Emperor or a Byzantine cultured character could have the possibility to recreate the successor states of Byzantium (Empire of Nicea and Trebizond) if effectively Byzantium ceases to exist spicing things up...

What do you think?

The ruler of Byzantium would always be an emperor, regardless of their religion. I don't see why a Catholic Byzantium would be called Italia, it's power base is in Greece and Anatolia. I don't think a Western Byzantium would call itself the "Latin Empire" because the Greeks always used it as a slur. If you want to rename it, change it to the Roman Empire (It's legal name for all of its history).

Reactions:
No I was not clear the Byzantine Emperor or Eastern Roman Emperor (if it has reformed the Eastern part of the Empire) will be obviously called Emperor or the Greek equivalent but to re-conquer the Western part of the Empire the Emperor should rule a title in the west too that in some way could claim to be a successor state of the Western Roman Empire; that is a he could get this titles:
  1. Holy Roman Empire if you want the more easy way but IMHO unrealistic
  2. S.P.Q.R. it is not technically possible as it could be created only in "The Commune of Rome" event chain, it should be a Republic and of Roman culture in any case
  3. (High) Kingdom of Italia that the Basileus Autokrator will held as a secondary title but it will be a Kingdom for any game aspect. This is a game engine limitation: I cannot create new tiers and there is not a command to change a ruler title via event, so to be called Emperor for this secondary title I need to create another title with the same flags and so on, only the ruler title and tier changes... title that in theory I have done but for another scope (A Praetorian Prefect that becomes independent and declares himself Emperor).
Regarding calling the Byzantine Empire "The Roman Empire" if ruled by a western character it seems the more correct thing to do but for me it is the union of The Eastern and Western Roman Empire that is the thing that should be reformed! It will be confusing to call a part of it as everything...

What about "Empire of Romània" that was the official name of "The Latin Empire"? I've another motivation to do this that I had forgotten: the ruler of Byzantium will be called "Basileus Autokratôr" so not only a simple title name change but I need to use another title to avoid this in any case.