• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((That reminds me...how are the development of cars and steam trains in the empire going @Idhrendur?))
((Well, seeing that we have basically flying aircraft carriers, I would think that we have good cars/trains.))

((Well, seeing that we have basically flying aircraft carriers, I would think that we have good cars/trains.))
(( I wasn't asking how good they were. I was asking more on a technical - this being how they look - , naming - this being the names of the cars, trains, and companies - , and historical development - this being how far along are they compared to OTL - side.))

((The Palace might not be Versailles, but the seat of government of a major world capital would probably be active most hours, even if the actual debating hall is unoccupied.))

(( I wasn't asking how good they were. I was asking more on a technical - this being how they look - , naming - this being the names of the cars, trains, and companies - , and historical development - this being how far along are they compared to OTL - side.))
((Oh okay then, sorry for not being clear enough. I'm not sure about looks, but as for names, I would assume that cars would be named something along the lines of "Chariot" or "Mercury" and that trains and companies would have Greek names. If we're going with the Victorian standard, we can expect companies like [Greek name] & Son, Inc. or something. And since most of Europe has been under the control of one government, it is likely that industrial development is not that far behind if not on par with or slightly ahead of OTL because resources, goods, and services no longer need to cross borders.))

((No deaths or even injuries, so no reason for any senators to be scared. Also the cult has managed numerous attacks, there have been constants rebellions throught this time and now a major civil war. If I were the Emperor I would have suspended the Senate sitting until after the crisis, but damn capitalist pig dogs never learn. Rather than continue I will put this to bed))

****** Rennes, Death to the Fascist HQ ******

Madame Chairperson a message from our operative at the heart of evil.

Thank you, please feel free to leave.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Packages planted in senate --- stop

Cleaners found itching powder - stop

Also banner reading "Itch like the capitalist pig dogs you are!" --- stop

Mission aborted ---- stop

----------------------------------------------------------------

Curse those cunning devils, but we will get them yet!

it is likely that industrial development is not that far behind if not on par with or slightly ahead of OTL because resources, goods, and services no longer need to cross borders.
((You would think that, but you also have to consider that, as nations get larger and more powerful, they stagnate technologically as they lose any competition. 'Tis what happened to the Classical Roman Empire as well.))

Reactions:
((You would think that, but you also have to consider that, as nations get larger and more powerful, they stagnate technologically as they lose any competition. 'Tis what happened to the Classical Roman Empire as well.))
((A better example would be Ming China, but yes, exactly. But it is established that the Empire in TTL is roughly equivalent to OTL Victorian-era Britain, so I am assuming around a same or slightly lower level of technological development. And keep in mind that airship technology is significantly more advanced than OTL, what with the ability to fully weaponize them and to put several planes on them.))

((Why is the classical RE not a good example?))
((I'm not trying to say that classical RE is a bad example, rather that the later Ming/Qing Dynasty better fits the situation, because China is a large unified landmass which started out technologically advanced but eventually stagnated. I am pretty sure that the classical Roman Empire stagnated and crumbled because of political infighting arising from unclear succession laws, correct me if I'm wrong. But we're moving off-topic, so we should probably get back to discussing the actual game events.))

(( Sorry for the lack of trust @BBBD316, that would have actually been pretty funny.

Regarding cars and airplanes, let me first reflect on how I view the industry of the Empire.

As I see it, the legal structure is pretty free-market in nature, with corporations being set up as a primary means of production at scale. However, the Imperial family owns a controlling interest in all corporations as a condition of setting them up. How much the private/state divide exists there fluctuates. When I was subsidizing everything before, it wouldn't have been nearly non-existent. Now that there are no subsidies, it's pretty minimal, the Imperial family takes fewer profits, interferes less, etc. But they could swing things the other way if they wanted.

So, while there's potentially a great deal of government interference in industry, and there has been that interference in the past, there are a multitude of firms creating cars, planes, whatever. With the imperial family providing guidance, there's no clear forerunner like Ford in America (before GM got together to fight the Ford monster), and thus an incredible diversity in manufacturers, designs, etc. It's mostly the rich that have cars (and only the rich that have planes), but equivalents to the Model T (that is, low cost cars that a family could save up to buy) will have been recent releases. Names will probably be pulling from Greek mythology, but I image there's so much variety that you could just make up a name and it'd fit.

As for planes, I'd imagine even more variety, including multiple wings, incredible multiples of wings, and pusher configurations. Really, all the wildness of early aviation. No significant military use for the next few years, though. I guess the advanced airships of our timeline are a distraction from the potential for planes, which can't yet carry bombs, which can't easily mount guns, etc. It'll be 1914 before we realize we should really push for planes as technology instead of airships.))

Reactions:
I am pretty sure that the classical Roman Empire stagnated and crumbled because of political infighting arising from unclear succession laws,
((It crumbled because of that, but the economy and technology, specifically ones involving the labour and harvesting of resources, stagnated due to the massive influx of slaves making the development of tech that requires less workers unnecessary with free labour being in much supply and the great resources meant that the Empire never had to improve on harvesting techniques for various basic goods like grain and stone as they could always rely on multiple sources. From what I remember, they even messed up the fertility of the soil in parts of Egypt from over-farming it.))

Reactions:
((It crumbled because of that, but the economy and technology, specifically ones involving the labour and harvesting of resources, stagnated due to the massive influx of slaves making the development of tech that requires less workers unnecessary with free labour being in much supply and the great resources meant that the Empire never had to improve on harvesting techniques for various basic goods like grain and stone as they could always rely on multiple sources. From what I remember, they even messed up the fertility of the soil in parts of Egypt from over-farming it.))
((That makes sense. It's been a while since I covered the end of the classical Roman Empire in school.))

(( I forgot trains and roads. The rail infrastructure is as built out as possible, and still the primary means of transportation between cities. I imagine coal trains are starting to be replaced by oil trains, and are somewhere between Knott's Berry Farm's Ghost Town and Calico Railway as an old kind and the Santa Fe 3751 (2:30 for the whistle, BTW) as a very new kind.

I imagine that a lot of imperial cities have asphalt roads (first pushed by bicycles and now used by cars), but there really aren't major links between cities. Maybe some paved roads but a cross-Empire care ride is going to involve a lot of off-roading. I'd recommend just taking the train. At least until 1919 when I can research limited access roads. ))

Reactions:
Senators,

As always, thank you for your time.

103. The Time of Troubles - Senate Responses
Senator Nestorius Thaddas and Hairini Waata thanked the Emperor for his kind words. If Hairini needed anything, she would let them know.

-----

For the rest of September, things were calm at the provisional governorship of Aeteorea, except for Hairini. She had managed to calm herself down significantly, but she had started getting intense nightmares about her family...... and what kind of fate they could receive. They managed to get so bad that Nestorius had to stay in her room to make sure she had a good night's sleep. As this resulted in him not getting any decent sleep, he was forced to relegate most of his more intense tasks to Michail Lykidis and Kojo Onobanjo, one of his formerly Neapolitan subordinates from Africa.

-----

In Constantinople, end of September

Hairini was on the roof of Nestorius' residence and makeshift HQ of the Aeteorean provisional governorship, looking out at the city. She tried to fill herself with glee of being in the city, especially as she hadn't done any sightseeing yet, but she couldn't. She couldn't get her family off her mind. Suddenly, she heard the door to the roof open. She turned around to see it was Nestorius.

"Hey. Guessed you were up here, felt like joining you," he said with a smile. Hairini smiled back weakly, as he joined her in her looking out. As the two watched the city bustling, he spoke once more.

"Remember back in early June when, during a session, I mentioned the dear ones I had lost?" he asked. Hairini nodded.

"You spoke of your father and your lover."

"Yes, and I stopped before I could speak about her... I feel as though some things could be explained to you if I told you about her," he said. She looked at him, ready to hear what he had to say. He sighed before speaking once more.

"Before I was a senator, I lived in my hometown of Hadrianopolis. As mother died during my birth, and father was too busy at the Senate, I lived primarily with another family until I was old enough to live on my own. Apparently, that was when I was 15," he laughed. "Father would always visit on his off days and, as I got older, I would visit him too. My visits intensified after the events surrounding the Cult which happened prior to me becoming a senator," he revealed. "Now, I never stopped communicating with the family I lived with, if only for one reason.... it was within it that I met the girl of my dreams. We would hangout all the time in the outskirts of town, running across the fields, or the roof tops of the city, watching the hustle and bustle. We cared for one another. We'd keep each other fit and active! We'd race one another all the time, and we'd have climbing contests too. Life was swell," he told her.

"Then, my father called me to Constantinople. I had no idea what the reason was, but he told me it was urgent. When I arrived, he revealed he was going to retire. While I had always wanted to be a senator, it was still very sudden for me. Following his departure back to Epirus, I moved into his residence, joined by my lover. I initially refused her request to join me, as I didn't want to drag her into politics, but she never was the kind to quit," he explained. "It was the life. I lived in the capital, worked as a senator and had the love of my life."

"What happened then?" she asked. Nestorius' expression became weak.

"It was just an ordinary off day for me. Nothing important was headed my way, meaning she and I could head to the outskirts and do what we usually do. We raced up a decently sized hill, before collapsing on its top, laughing at each other's expense, enjoying one another's presence. After a bit of rest, we got up and danced. We danced like no one had danced before. She took one wrong step and the stone at her feet collapsed. I rushed in to grab her hand, but my fingers only grazed hers.... she fell," he said with a regretful tone, eyelids shaking along with the fingers on his right hand. ".....I carried her body back to town, where she was declared dead. She had died in my hands, as I had carried her back to town....." he said, as he put his right hand on his face.

"....her funeral in Hadrianopolis and the day after when I visited her were the hardest days of my life. Everything reminded me of her - Hadrianopolis, Constantinopolis, all of Hellas..... my motherland made me just think of her," he said, as he turned his head and looked her straight in the eyes. "That feeling was eating me inside out. I had to find a way to get rid of it, but I didn't even need to," he told her. "The next session, I was declared Governor of Naples. The day after, I left. Surely Naples was different enough to get rid of this weight on my back.... and it was."

"The atmosphere of the area was similar, but different. It threw me and the feeling off, which I had hoped. As the Parthenopean governor, as some called me, I closed myself off from society, only interacting with the populace some token times when necessary.... which you already know. My father, the family I had stayed with, as well as the limited time I had been at the senate, shaped my views on Romanity. Full citizenship made the most sense. I believe that was why all non-Neapolitans working under me were minorities that were looking for work, like you," he laughed, before returning to a saddened expression.

"Over time, I forgot everything. I stopped reading the letters from the Senate from Veronica's death onwards and I never made a peep about my past. I was just working in my office with no sense of time, seemingly forever. Then, you chose to inform me about the civil war. I knew I had to return. The feelings I had forgotten, the ones that would stop me at the thought of such an idea, couldn't stop me now. But, as the news poured into the Senate with every session, the feelings returned. I even mention her for the first time in 30+ years...." he said the last sentence choking.

"....she was part of the reason why I asked for the governorship of Aeteorea. She would've loved to see the beauty of your islands, and she would've wanted me to protect the natives.... That's why I promise you, Cyrene.... I will make sure to protect your homeland, your family..... If I couldn't save her, I could at least save them," he said, as he was on the verge of crying. Hairini couldn't believe what she had heard. She hugged Nestorius intensely, whispering a thanks into his ear. He returned the hug.

----

17 October 1910

The two were glad to hear about the Indians rushing into Persia, but the news of Australian insults infuriated Nestorius. "The Australian foreign minister has the gall to do something like this, while the rebellion he is apart of continues its segregation of non-natives!" he barked out.

**** Senate - Constantinople at 4AM****

Nothing stirs in the blackness as 3 shadows creep through the offices and plazas surrounding the Senate chamber deftly dodging the patrols and odd cleaner as they make their way into the heart of the Senate.

Silently they enter the chamber and make thier way to various areas of the senate chamber and then behind the Emperor's seat.

Then as quickly as they can they depart.

****** Rennes, Death to the Fascist HQ ******

Madame Chairperson a message from our operative at the heart of evil.

Thank you, please feel free to leave.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Packages planted in senate --- stop

Cleaners found itching powder - stop

Also banner reading "Itch like the capitalist pig dogs you are!" --- stop

Mission aborted ---- stop

----------------------------------------------------------------

Curse those cunning devils, but we will get them yet!

Senators,

As always, thank you for your time.

Last edited:
103. The Time of Troubles - October-November 1910
17 November 1910

Senators,

Many reinforcements have joined the legions, and the defensive situation has solidified well. For instance, in greater Bulgaria, IV. Legio and XXIV. Legio have formed a defensive line and expect they can hold it indefinitely.
103-24.png

The battle of Maribor continues to rage in Pannonia, and We have sent VII. Legio and XXVIII. Legio to assist. This leaves the secondary defensive line weak, but better to hold the first. And the first does continue to hold. In fact, in Ljubljana, XXVIIIa. Legio threw back an Italian army.
103-25.png

However, in Naples XXXXIV. Legio fought off an Italian army, but everything to their north is being occupied, and the situation looks untenable.

XIX. Legio won the occupation of Jerusalem, and has moved on to Gaza in the hopes of convincing Israel to concede defeat. XXXVII. Legio, freshly reinforced, is moving up to assist them.
103-26.png

XXXVI. Legio, also recently reinforced, has taken the fight to Spain, besieging them from the south as they are distracted by their war with Catalonia.
103-27.png

XXV. Legio and XXXIII. Legio, having reclaimed all Imperial lands in western Africa, have attacked the Scottish army in the region, as XV. Legio continues to seize enemy colonies.
103-28.png

Finally, this newspaper was published in the last month, and the archivist consider it significant.
103-29.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Kids these days and their radios. Back in my day you had to actually socialize with your friends instead of sitting around some talking box listening to someone half the empire away.

A popping sound comes from the side of the room and several nearby senators jump. Raphael scurries over to where a toaster sits and take a bite of some freshly toasted bread.

Sorry about that. It's just my breakfast. These new-fangled toasters are quite a wonder.

- Senator Raphael Favero

((As I see it, the legal structure is pretty free-market in nature, with corporations being set up as a primary means of production at scale. However, the Imperial family owns a controlling interest in all corporations as a condition of setting them up. How much the private/state divide exists there fluctuates. When I was subsidizing everything before, it wouldn't have been nearly non-existent. Now that there are no subsidies, it's pretty minimal, the Imperial family takes fewer profits, interferes less, etc. But they could swing things the other way if they wanted.))

((You're not allowed to set up in business unless you apparently gift half your company to the crown as a matter of law?? Even if you assume that the senators don't practice business in accordance with ancient Roman law and subsist on land and tenancy fees, that sounds like a pretty corrosive influence on the middle classes and all but ensures that the only corporations in the Empire are Greek. I know that we're long before multinational corporations, but I can't imagine any of them spreading into the Empire if they have to cede half their company just to do business!))

Reactions:
((You're not allowed to set up in business unless you apparently gift half your company to the crown as a matter of law?? Even if you assume that the senators don't practice business in accordance with ancient Roman law and subsist on land and tenancy fees, that sounds like a pretty corrosive influence on the middle classes and all but ensures that the only corporations in the Empire are Greek. I know that we're long before multinational corporations, but I can't imagine any of them spreading into the Empire if they have to cede half their company just to do business!))

(( Hmmm…perhaps not quite that then. I know that thanks to the game mechanics, the Imperial family has the potential to exert a lot of control over firms (even if they don't), but I'm not really sure what form that would take. I'm a software guy, not a legal or business guy after all. Any suggestions (from anyone with the relevant kinds of knowledge) that would explain that phenomenon? ))