• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alexios looks over at his fellow Patrician. "I'm sure that if the editor of Greece Today had his way, Raphael, the answer to your clue would have been F-E-M-I-N-I-S-T-S."
"We should really vet who we allow to be editors," said Theodora, "Just so we make sure they're not rebel scum and/or communists."

Alexios wags his finger playfully. "As Minister for Education, I cannot in good conscience sanction the censorship of the printed word."

Alexios wags his finger playfully. "As Minister for Education, I cannot in good conscience sanction the censorship of the printed word."
I did not suggest censorship, I just recommended that we make sure we know who is publishing in our papers."

"Well, given that the editor of a paper is generally appointed by the owner or the paper's board of directors, I am sure that the Crown will be able to put in a word or two if an editor really steps out of line."

Senator Angelos, Italy has seized a few alpine provinces and is pushing south towards Naples. Their forces are already past Rome, though they have not seized the city yet, and are not far from Napoli. However, they have stopped immediately incorporating captured provinces into their civil administration, instead leaving them under military governance.

And as for the newspaper, We have no desire to remove but the most seditious of editors. We doubt that those suffering under the effects of the rebellions and wars, who have lost sons, husbands, or fathers, will think much of these men's sarcastic tones. They just give more credence to official communications when they show such disregard for the common people.

Senators, We will see you again in a month. Thank you for your time.

103. The Time of Troubles - Senate Responses
Bah, these "newspapers" keep getting the facts wrong! What is "Brazil"?
-Senator Tolbert Palaiologos

Alexios looks perplexed on hearing about the Battle of Maribor. "The forces under Strategos Trikoupis engaged an army twice their size and not only defeated them, but utterly annihilated them? I am not sure whether to be impressed or alarmed!"

He looks over the reports from Italy. "Damn Lombardi for a traitorous fool, but he and his ill-gotten forces are proving far more formidable than I thought they would. Is there a recent update on the Italian borders?"

Nestorius pitches in. "I think that is an alternate name for the area which the English control. If that's the case, then the English will have to worry over their racial issues a bit more," he comments. "It is good to hear that West Africa, Kanata, Israel and Azerbaijan are going to fall, but the news of Ukrainian capitulation is worrying. Hopefully we can handle it."

Hairini, having calmed down significantly, reads the editorial about feminism. She disapproves of it, but isn't sure whether she should comment. Perhaps Teodora's opinion might change her mind.

"I hear Trikoupis is already being hailed as the 'Hero of Maribor' for destroying such a large German army," said Theodora, "It's like the shame and disgrace of the First Empire at Teutoberg Forest has been reversed and avenged! It is highly likely that we'll see more of this brilliant man. Perhaps Dalassenos will promote him to the General Staff. On the Italian situation, it appears that Lombardi's men aren't as incompetent at warfare as our cartoons and stereotypes suggest. Although several hundred have already defected to our side, most of the rebel scum are loyal to Lombardi and fight like devils. I would prefer if they go back to whatever rebel scum do, like dying."

"I believe that yes, "Brazil" is a name used to refer to the region that the English currently inhabit. Though why they would refer to the English Navy as "Brazilian" is beyond me," Theodora said, "And the more rebel scum surrender to the might of the Empire, the better. We need more soldiers and resources to push back the Russian menace. Ukraine's losses shall be avenged by the blood of the Slavs!"

Theodora quickly scanned the newspaper again when Hairini kept looking her way. She soon found the article in question, a scathing critique of this new idea of "feminism." It appeared to be quite one-sided and obviously biased against it. Of course, it was written by a man.

"First off, I don't like this editorial," she said, "It's biased and unfair. It presents only one side of the argument, and the author, who has a male name, does a really bad job at trying to support his argument. In some places the evidence of so-called 'depravity' seems forced and twisted out of context. In other places he actually ends up arguing the opposite that feminism is not that bad. Is this man even a trained social scientist? I want to see his credentials! And what is wrong about feminism anyways? Why, some actually trained social scientists have conducted an experiment which, while not conclusive yet, seems to imply that women are better drivers than men (though that may be the result of statistical errors or limitations). Am I doing a horrible job as Minister of Security and Imperial Senator? The Ministry hasn't burned down yet and the Secret Police isn't running out of control. We are discussing political matters here in a civil manner, far from the 'depravity' the author claims that I would bring. And if 'feminism' was bad, then why did the Emperor appoint me as both Senator and Minister in the first place? And take a look at the Chinese and Indians and Japanese and Persians! They've granted more rights to their women, much like we allowed our women to work in factories ((assuming we're going with Victorian-era socio-industrial trends)), and look at their industrial strength! They're rapidly catching up to us! We must treat all Romans with the respect they deserve according to the values of Romanitas and the legal codes of great emperors such as Iustinianos I, where all citizens are equal under the law regardless of cultural, religious, or social identity. I would really like to go on and on about this, but I'm just so interested in this crossword puzzle that the newspaper has provided right next to the editorial! Let me see...R-E-B-E-L-S-C-U-M...yeah that works...and done!"

Theodora looked up. "Anybody else want to try? We've got enough copies of the paper to go around!"

Hairini was mesmerized; Theodora had said everything that needed to be said on the topic. She was close to cheering her on, but she realized that doing so would be uncultured. She turned to Nestorius, asking what party she's in, but she gets disappointed by the fact that the Foiderátoi doesn't support full citizenship. Upon the mention of the crossword puzzle, Nestorius chimed in.

"I believe the row here," Nestorius pointed to it on the paper, "says R-E-V-O-L-T. Whoever put in 'Has Been Happening For The Last Few Years' as the hint is really cheeky, I tell you what!" he commented.

Here's a good one. "Traitors to the empire and manipulators of the working class." Let's see if this fits. C-O-M-M-U-N-I-S-T... yes, it does indeed. These crosswords are so simple these days.

- Senator Raphael Favero

Alexios looks over at his fellow Patrician. "I'm sure that if the editor of Greece Today had his way, Raphael, the answer to your clue would have been F-E-M-I-N-I-S-T-S."

"We should really vet who we allow to be editors," said Theodora, "Just so we make sure they're not rebel scum and/or communists."

I did not suggest censorship, I just recommended that we make sure we know who is publishing in our papers."

"Well, given that the editor of a paper is generally appointed by the owner or the paper's board of directors, I am sure that the Crown will be able to put in a word or two if an editor really steps out of line."

Senator Angelos, Italy has seized a few alpine provinces and is pushing south towards Naples. Their forces are already past Rome, though they have not seized the city yet, and are not far from Napoli. However, they have stopped immediately incorporating captured provinces into their civil administration, instead leaving them under military governance.

And as for the newspaper, We have no desire to remove but the most seditious of editors. We doubt that those suffering under the effects of the rebellions and wars, who have lost sons, husbands, or fathers, will think much of these men's sarcastic tones. They just give more credence to official communications when they show such disregard for the common people.

Senators, We will see you again in a month. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
103. The Time of Troubles - December-January 1911
17 January 1911

Senators,

This last December, Italy stuck at the defensive lines in Pannonia. Given the disaster in Naples previously, We decided to make a peace with them, so that We could prosecute the other wars. With some minor border adjustments, Italy received the territory they had seized from Us. The patriarch of Rome has been forced to leave the eternal city, to be replaced with the self-styled Pope from Burgundy. Worry not though, the truce ends at the end of 1915.
103-43.png

103-44.png

Likewise, Java united their island under a Greek and Sulawesi government, as opposed to the Sulawesi-only government that Mataram had formed.
103-45.png

In better news, the new year brought Azerbaijan's complete capitulation. Any plans for the post war governance of the region must be put on hold however, until the Persian and Russian forces can be pushed back from the area. II. Legio and IX. Legio are marching towards Trabzon and Van in order to begin the creation of a defensive line.
103-46.png

A week later, Kanata agreed to peace. We insisted on only one of the UTA's claims, which Kanata agreed to with relief. The UTA might have been upset by this, but as reactionaries had taken up arms within their own lands, they were inclined to a peace that would allow them to bring their armies back south.
103-47.png

Elsewhere, the wars continue slowly. The occupation of Spain moves forward, with their army focusing on Catalonia while the legions carve a large foothold in Andalusia.
103-48.png

In west Africa, all enemy forces have been completely defeated (false reports of Italian armies notwithstanding). Only the Scottish colonies of Gambia and Senegal remain to be occupied.
103-49.png

In southern Africa, South Africa has occupied much of Botswana before attacking XXXV. Legio and XXXIX. Legio. The Battle of Gaborone will likely determine the immediate future of the region. Meanwhile, Adal picks on Mutapa. If South Africa can be defeated, We can push back any occupation.
103-50.png

Near the Caucuses, the Azerbaijan distraction has proven to be of great harm, as the entire region swarms with enemy armies. II. Legio and IX. Legio vow to protect from further incursions, however.
103-51.png

Israel has refused a peace until they are completely defeated. That defeat is near at hand, though. Meanwhile, the fight against Hedjaz is beginning. This fight will close a large section of the border, but will likely require the use of multiple legions for several months.
103-52.png

To the east of the Empire, the situation is too complex to describe quickly. But it seems that India is winning. Indeed, the Indians have so beaten Iraq that they requested an end to hostilities. We saw the opportunity to strip them of their last Indonesian island, and will send Our final terms within a few days.
103-53.png

Along the Bulgarian front, the Germans and Poles have thrown all their forces in the region against XXIV. Legio, which is holding firm. IV. Legio is preparing to break camp to aid them in this battle.
103-54.png

In Panonnia, Aquitaine is now making their assault against the legions defending the region. Like Italy, they have some kind of defense against gas attacks, so this will be a hard-fought battle. Worse, they somehow found a hole in the defensive line and slipped a force into Karlovac. XXVIII. Legio and XXIX. Legio are moving to beat them back and plug the hole.
103-55.png

Finally, these newspapers were published this month and are considered significant by the archivists.
103-56.png

103-57.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Raphael silently hides a turban underneath his seat.

I must say that even as we struggle on land, at least we have a capable navy. Have any of you seen the Imperial Navy's flagship. Such a beauty.

While it displeases me to hear that the Italian rebel scum will hold on to my home for a further five years, I understand that the fate of the empire is at stake and we must all make sacrifices.

- Senator Raphael Favero

(( It finally happened. I created a spreadsheet to track recruitment for the legions. ))

"I do believe that one of my nephews was involved in that silly business with the Imperial flagship. Sisters, eh?"

He looks over the news from Italy in disappointment. "So, Lombardi has grabbed a peace deal whilst he can and the Latin Rite reigns in the Eternal City once? Despicable! I move that Strategos Trikoupis be tasked with the reconquest of Italy when the time comes."

Good, good. Our struggles have not been in vain, we shall emerge victorious! ((don't you think Italy wouldn't have dropped out of the war as they A. would want the rest of the Italian Peninsula and B. they know we will go after them after the war so they will continue fighting until we are dismantled and incapable of retaliation))
-Senator Talbot Palaiologos

(( We were actually doing pretty good on warscore from winning lots of other battles. Along with ceding lots of land, it probably looked a pretty good deal to them. I mean, they wouldn't know just how much they were putting the entire Pannonian front at risk, and how much that front collapsing would put us at risk in the other wars. ))

"Theory of relativity, eh? Interesting..." said Theodora. "And it's great that Sherlock is back, I was getting worried of the riots that his death would cause! The English really need to get their act together. First their black crewmen go on strike and then this, young nobles getting unauthorized clearanace to the Royal Navy! We should really make sure that the same does not happen to our own fleet! Maybe some nobles will try to infiltrate the Senate as well! Who knows, maybe they're already here!"

(Theodora motioned to her security personnel to begin checking the room for intruders)

Late December 1910

Aeteorea was enjoying the beginning of summer with bright sunny days, making it an ideal vacation spot for Europeans wanting to escape winter. Unfortunately, no one was enjoying the sun except those vocal in the support of Tane and those who say and do nothing. Ghettos filled with Europeans and camps filled with Euro-Aeteoreans and dissenting Maori were located everywhere. While the ghettos were unsavory, the camps were, for the most part, standard forced labor camps. However, a select few were even worse than the ghettos - run by megalomanic men, promised everything and more by their dictator. These camps, localized in the region of Central Otago, were the only camps that could be considered truely fascistic. One of these camps was run by Tipene.

---

17 January 1911

Nestorius looked worried over the news regarding the Pannonian, Bulgarian and Caucasus fronts. He attempted to look through the newspapers for something that would interest him. He found the article regarding the invention of the zipper very confusing. "Why does this article have the headline 'Smokers rejoice!' if it is discussing a device that binds the edges of an opening together?" he asked aloud.

"Must be another error," Hairini quipped.

((Wow. I'm gone for a few days and.. BLARG! why have the kaminoeans taken over Arakors and idrendurs coat of arms!
HERESY!))
Unknown.png

((I paid extra to get a forum avatar [disclaimer: not the only reason], so it makes sense that I should use it! I'll probably switch back to Wales at some point. :)))

(( Same with me! Gotta take advantage of the fact that I got these. ))

((I also changed my user title to suit the avatar, but that's much less noticeable. :p))

((I couldn't justify the extra ost just for the avatars, however I am bored of my current one.))