• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"They are terrorists, murderers and pagans. They're not even Greek. I think being a scapegoat is the least of their problems."

Reactions:
They murdered my father. They murdered the Emperor. My reports tell me they helped negotiate the Northern Alliance! Our legions reported finding Cult equipment and propaganda within rebel-occupied territory! How can you not see the big picture here? They have been planning this for a long time. Now of course I don't blame them for anything and everything without a reason, but I have a reason right now!

Reactions:
Nestorius paused for a moment, appearing to be in deep thought, before speaking once more. "Perhaps the Cult has been planning this, if what you say is true, but I doubt they are connected to every rebel state."
You're right. There is no way, logistically or ideologically, they would be able to incite rebellion in Oceania or Britannia; after all, Britannia has embraced communism and Oceania is half a world away from us. However, I never said that the Cult was ever supporting all rebel groups. I apologize for being unclear. I guess I'm still trying to get over the loss of my father and brother.

Reactions:
I assure you, we will find them and bring them to safety. The Empire leaves no citizen behind.

Reactions:
"Oh, um.... the dear ones I spoke of passed away. My father died of a heart attack a few weeks before the Empress Veronica herself died, while my lover befell an accident which....." Nestorius was saying before pausing, eyes filled with regret. ".....nevermind my own troubles, we are here to figure out how to save Rome from divided destruction!"

Reactions:
Agreed. Now, anybody know what is going on in the Middle East? The rebels in Jerusalem are the weakest and potentially the easiest to defeat.

Reactions:
Senator Doukas, may We see the letter before the ministry does its full analysis?

Interesting, it seems to be a repeat of the Donation of Constantine, with Burgundy supporting Italy. No doubt these two, being the rebel nations with borders to the Empire, plan to expand into any land they can claim. We shall see about that.

Senators, We thank you for your time. We will summon you again when there is more news.

102. The Time of Troubles, the First 58 Days - Senate Replies
The ship carrying Nestorius and Hairini arrived as scheduled in Constantinople on the 2nd of June, but circumstances delayed it to arrive in the late evening. The two grabbed their things and got off, as they entered the City of the World's Desire. Nestorius took a deep breath, as he let the smells of the never-sleeping city surround him once more. "Ah, the Queen of Cities, how long since we have parted?" he thought aloud. Hairini looked around herself, as she saw the spectacle that was the Reigning City. She pulled out her journal and immediately began writing descriptions of the capital. Nestorius looked over to her, laughing slightly. "Cyrene, you'll have enough time to explore and write later. For now, we should find a place to rest at," he told her. She turned to him and nodded, putting her journal back. They quickly found a place to rest for the night.

---

In the morning, the two prepared themselves for the departure to the Senate. "Do you think the senators remember that you exist, Nestor?" Hairini asked. Nestorius paused for a moment. "....Hopefully?" he said in an unsure manner. Hairini responded with a giggle. "Well, I doubt you remember many of them," she said slyly, causing him to laugh in a confirmational way. Eventually, they got ready and left.

Arriving at the Senate, the two were stopped at the front of the building by two guards, asking for their identities. Once Nestorius revealed who they were, they were allowed in. They then spent the next few minutes trying to find where the Senators were before finally locating them. They quietly entered the room and put their things on the coat rack, as Nestorius tried to identify one of the senators before they identified him.

General Solanis' letter to the Senate:
It is my duty and my sadness to report to the Imperial Senate and the Emperor of General Palaiologos' condition. He personally supervised the defence of Manchester against overwhelming enemy forces and was shot twice, once in the arm and once in the chest. He is grievously wounded, I do not know if he will survive. The second in command, General Georgios Mavronis was killed by an artillery shell. Imperial forces are in full retreat, the Seventh Legion is gone. General Durranis is currently leading the remnant of the Tenth Legion to the coast near Ghent to be picked up by the navy. I am leading the Sixth Legion to west coast to be picked up by the navy. I do not know if we will survive.

No-one knew what happened to Marco during the first months of the civil war, but Marco had some rage to take care of.
WHAT!?!?! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT!!?!?? THIS.IS.UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once news of the Civil war hit, he didn't even warn the senate he was going to wales to 'give those chaps a right talking-to'.
all he did was leave a short note to Sarah and Gabriel.
Dear Sarah and Gabriel,
The recent war has made me quite....annoyed, so I am going over to Wales to join a loyal resistance group and do some sabotage. I shall soon return, donut fear.
Julius

Once two weeks had passed, Julius decided that he had quite enough of killing and blowing up supply lines. He got a ship to Constantinople, and managed to avoid enemy patrol ships. As of right now, he is currently in the senate building trying to find everybody.

2 minutes later...
"Hey everybody, have you missed me?"

Nestorius was unsure what to think. He didn't recognize anyone. He couldn't even locate the Senators he would've assumed to be here, such as Comminus, Smithereens or Komnenos. He became very nervous over approaching the others, but Hairini re-assured him that things would be alright. Nodding in response, the two slowly began approaching the others when, out of nowhere, Senator Marco appeared. Nestorius looked at him for a moment before realizing he had never met him before. He slowly turned back to the other senators and continued approaching them, as he tried to find his seat.

"I see that a few senators have got up late today. Well, at least that means that they're probably not traitors, heretics, rebels or secessionists."

As Nestorius found his seat and got an extra one for Hairini, he overheard senator Alexios speak. "You could say I've been late for some 30 years," he quipped.

"Hello everybody," said Theodora, "I presume your presence here means that you are loyal to the Empire, so I'll spare you all the standard vetting procedures. Instead...do you have any valuable information on the location of rebel troops and supply routes? I have heard some of you were stranded inside rebel territory for some time."

Unfortunately, I was only able to get my hands on a letter, and liberate a few villages, plus a small town.

Do you have this letter with you? Which towns and villages did you liberate? I need specifics if we are to eradicate the rebel scum!

All I can say is I am most grateful I was not at my estate outside Venice when this whole calamity started. Both my father and grandfather were murdered on its premises, and likely I would have been the third. I can only imagine what those filthy separatists are doing to my estates right now. The poor vineyards.

- Senator Raphael Favero

Nestorius and Hairini just watched the other senators talk with blank expressions. The former was unsure how to go about not only introducing himself to the rest and explaining his absence, as well as figure out what had happened since the death of Empress Veronica, while the latter was just nervous, unaware of how the others would react to a native from a rebel state. But she knew they had to contribute. "Come on, say something," she whispered to Nestorius. "You think I'm not trying, Cyrene?" he replied with his own whisper.

He decided to draw attention to himself with a few strategically placed coughs. Perhaps someone might realize who he was, considering the fact that they had contacted the Senate before setting off from Naples.

Theodora noticed Nestorius's artificial coughing immediately. "Senator Nestorius," she said, "You seem awfully quiet today. Don't be shy; feel free to talk. Your presence at the Senate today establishes your loyalty to the Empire. Your...assistant...is also welcomed to the Senate with open arms."

Nestorius was glad to have been finally acknowledged by someone. "Pardon my quiet nature. I've just been absent for so long. I..... don't really recognize anyone here. And I'm very much in the dark in regards to what has happened since 1901, though I'm only slightly aware of what has happened a few years prior to 1901, which I will have to rectify," he stated. "Nonetheless, I am glad that someone recognized me despite this."

A quick rundown on major events. The Emperor was assassinated by the Cult while on a visit to the Caucasus. My father gave his life to prevent more deaths. Unfortunately, as you know some provinces have used this as an opportunity to rebel from the Empire. Do not be afraid. You are in the Senate now, in the center of the City of the World's Desire. You are safe now. There is no war within Constantinople, only outside. United we can triumph over the rebel scum that refuse to acknowledge their Emperor as their true ruler.

Nestorius rubbed his face before nodding. "I see. I'm sorry for your loss," he said in a slightly saddened tone. "I assure you, my loyalty to the Empire is as strong as ever. Same goes for my assistant," he stated, as he realized that she hadn't introduced herself. He turned to her and motioned her with his eyebrows to introduce herself. She got the message and stood up. "I believe I haven't introduced myself yet. My name is Hairini Waata. I work under Senator Septiadis back in Naples. It is an honor to be here," she said, bowing towards the senators.

"It is an honor to welcome you to the Senate," said Theodora, "It is nice to know that many minorities are still loyal to the Empire. We could enact policies that appeal to the minorities to deny the rebels any propaganda topics...but enough of that for now. This is not a regular Senate session. Yes, I lost my father, but I also lost my brother. He has gone missing in Jerusalem when rebel Palestinians seized control of the province. I really want to find him and bring him to safety as well as punish anybody who could have harmed him. We must be generous to those who declare their loyalty to the Empire, but we must be harsh to those who resist. Now, that being said...what say both of you about the Northern Alliance of Germany, Russia, and Poland-Lithuania which has expressed the goals of destroying the Empire for good?"

I did not read the letter yet, as I thought it would be of better use for the minister of security, so I do not know whether this is a communist leader order or some love poetry.
hands letter over
As for the towns... let me see... Bangor,Cardiff and Vale

Hairini sighed in relief, knowing that she had been accepted by those in the Senate. Nestorius smiled, before returning to a worried expression once he heard about Theodora's missing brother. As he was about to express his own opinions on rebel punishment, Theodora spoke of the Northern Alliance. Nestorius looked like he had just heard of his mother's death. He once more rubbed his face. "Very distressing, to say the least," he said, with Hairini nodding in agreeance.

"We must however concentrate on our own affairs before doing anything about this alliance. If we do not at least have the mainland of Europa under our control once more, then we are doomed in the face of war," Nestorius expressed his thoughts.

I am the Minister of Security. It would help the Ministry immensely if you could hand it over at once.

I completely agree with your thoughts. We cannot fight the Russians and Germans at this point, with many of our provinces in rebellion. The rebels must be brought back into the fold before we can turn to the Russians.

A clerk comes over to Alexios and passes him some notes. He nods and stands up.

"In these trying times, I have ordered the Ministry of Education to institute an oath of fealty to be spoken at the beginning of each day, whether at school or college, to bolster unity and to focus our prayers on the actions of the Emperor and the Boule. It is a simple line, to be spoken in Greek, merely, One God, one Emperor, one people.

"As such, I would hope that the Ministry of Labour would implement this oath at any training session held at places of employment as well, for we cannot have any old Thomas, Michael or Isaac declaring an independent state where once Roman hegemony ruled, and we should take pains to remind all true Romans of this fact, whether at work or at school.

"Glory to God and the Emperor!"

Here you are Doukas. hands over letter.
(( I searched it up, and it says it is just vale))

"Excellent," said Theodora, taking the letter, "The Ministry will analyze this letter for information."

*Communication from the Sixth Legion has ceased.

Chairperson, news from Britannia. The Sixth Legion is no more, the Isles are free from Imperial presence. We await news of whether the Senator has managed to escape of perished with the Legions.

Excellent, I understand that the Burgundians allowed the Legions to escape, hopefully the French Workers Army will quickly overwhelm the fascists in their wars and our combined power will continue to grow. Please make sure that our production facilities throughout the region are operating at full capacity, even if we just have to arm every man, woman and child then as long as the workers yearn to be free they will not break us. For the Revolution!

For the Revolution.

Ministry of War headquarters, Constantinople

"Repeat yourself, you're breaking up," said Ioannes Dalassenos over the telephone.

"We're under attack!" screamed the soldier on the other end through heavy static. "The Syndicalist scum--entire Sixth Legion surrounded--need--reinforcements--ASAP!"

"Identify your location," said Dalassenos.

"We--are--AAAAAHHHH!" The line cut off.

Dalassenos slammed down the phone. Other operators worked to get a connection back up, but Dalassenos knew that there was nobody on the other side who was going to answer the call.

"Deploy a legion to Gallia at once," he ordered, "I want Paris and all of the rebel scum inside to burn."

The condition of General Palaiologos is still unknown but it seems that General Solanis has been slain.
-Alexander Mattas, interim Minister of Intelligence

How is this happening? Why is this happening? We have given so much to the provinces and they want independence? How is this happening?

"They are clearly not Roman and thus foolishly spurn the glories of Rome."

They have clearly been corrupted by the Cult.

"While I may not have been following the situation with the Cult closely, I do believe we shouldn't use them as a scapegoat."

"They are terrorists, murderers and pagans. They're not even Greek. I think being a scapegoat is the least of their problems."

"I never stated that they weren't any of those things. I just stated that blaming them for every misfortune the Empire has is a naive stance."

They murdered my father. They murdered the Emperor. My reports tell me they helped negotiate the Northern Alliance! Our legions reported finding Cult equipment and propaganda within rebel-occupied territory! How can you not see the big picture here? They have been planning this for a long time. Now of course I don't blame them for anything and everything without a reason, but I have a reason right now!

Nestorius paused for a moment, appearing to be in deep thought, before speaking once more. "Perhaps the Cult has been planning this, if what you say is true, but I doubt they are connected to every rebel state."

You're right. There is no way, logistically or ideologically, they would be able to incite rebellion in Oceania or Britannia; after all, Britannia has embraced communism and Oceania is half a world away from us. However, I never said that the Cult was ever supporting all rebel groups. I apologize for being unclear. I guess I'm still trying to get over the loss of my father and brother.

Nestorius nodded in response. "I doubt anyone can criticize you for still being emotional. We can relate to having lost someone dear," he said in a staid tone.

I assure you, we will find them and bring them to safety. The Empire leaves no citizen behind.

"Oh, um.... the dear ones I spoke of passed away. My father died of a heart attack a few weeks before the Empress Veronica herself died, while my lover befell an accident which....." Nestorius was saying before pausing, eyes filled with regret. ".....nevermind my own troubles, we are here to figure out how to save Rome from divided destruction!"

Agreed. Now, anybody know what is going on in the Middle East? The rebels in Jerusalem are the weakest and potentially the easiest to defeat.

Senator Doukas, may We see the letter before the ministry does its full analysis?

Interesting, it seems to be a repeat of the Donation of Constantine, with Burgundy supporting Italy. No doubt these two, being the rebel nations with borders to the Empire, plan to expand into any land they can claim. We shall see about that.

Senators, We thank you for your time. We will summon you again when there is more news.

Last edited:
102. The Time of Troubles, the First 58 Days - The Northern Alliance Grows - 10 June 1910
10 June 1910

Senators,

On the fourth of June, We received a report that XII. Legio—in Kasema, a province in Central Africa—had been completely defeated. The majority of its regiments, being from Aquitaine, Catalonia, and Spain, had declared for their respective revolutions and attacked the loyalist regiments. They immediately turned to fighting among themselves, and We are uncertain what their plans might be afterwards, being so far from their homelands.
102-13.png

Meanwhile, the survivors of X. Legio were attacked in Bruges while waiting for a transport fleet to pick them up. With all transport fleets still several days away, their survival began to look precarious. And on June 6th the North Sea Fleet, which sat impotently off the coast, reported that the Legion had been completely destroyed, with only a few of the command staff sneaking off to sea during the night and being picked up the fleet.
102-14.png

Fortunately, XVI. Legio in South Africa survived their battle with disloyal regiments and marched for the coast, where the Africa Transport fleet is waiting to pick them up.
102-15.png

And even better news came from Guyana on June 8th. XXV. Legio had defeated their rebellious regiments, and were in pursuit to completely destroy them.
102-16.png

While We are still reacting to immediate events, it looks like matters are beginning to stabilize. Therefore, We have drafted an initial plan for fighting the rebellion. All legions in or near rebel territory will withdraw to Dalmatia or Naples, or where a transport fleet can conveniently drop them off. They will rearm and recruit replacement regiments. The stronger legions will continue to fight the Jacobin, Reactionary, and Communist rebels, fight any former legionary regiments within these borders, and hold the borders against further incursions. If need be, then We will create borders further back. We will also recruit new legions as We are able to secure recruits.
102-17.png

However, We wonder: what does the Senate think should be done regarding legions that have fallen in this rebellion? In the past, their number has been retired entirely. But so many legions have been lost. As well, there are many legions that had been split into multiple fighting groups. We plan to make each of these fighting groups a legion in its own right. Perhaps they can be attached to the few survivors of fallen legions, essentially reconstituting the old? Or do the Senators have other ideas?

And finally, all these plans may soon change, as the Northern Alliance has expanded yet further.
102-18.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
(( I’m aiming for a stack for a normal legion to be 10: 1 Hussar, 4 Infantry, 1 Engineer, 5 Artillery. As I can get tanks built, they’ll switch to 1 Hussar, 3 Infantry, 1 Tank, 5 Artillery. When airplanes unlock (in four years at the soonest), I plan to switch again to 4 Infantry, 1 Tank, 4 Artillery, 1 Plane. There will be some legions floating around that have double that, as well. Particularly ones that were already double that, they’ll probably stay the same. Does that seem a reasonable plan?

Regarding governments:
Britannia/The Worker's Commonwealth, France, and Brittany are all communist.
Burgundy is a Theocracy under the Pope.
The rest are yet to be defined. Give me ideas and I'll edit them appropriately.))

The loyalists in South Africa deserve the highest of honours. Three thousand men, all part of an artillery brigade, fending off five times their number is truly remarkable.

This Northern Alliance worries me. Who are they allying against and for what purpose? I can only assume they wish to take advantage of our state of weakness, for long have the rest of the world been jealous of our success and power.

- Senator Raphael Favero

((You should make Italy a republic, based on the Roman Republic of old.))

Reactions:
The Northern Alliance is quickly becoming a major threat to the Empire. We must deal with the rebel scum as quickly as possible so we can deal with Russia.

For ease of communications, I would support making each army a legion in its own right. This would boost their morale and make it easier to identify each unit.

((Did you mod in a special government type for Burgundy?))

Reactions:
"Not only that, Favero, but those 3,000 men lost less than an eighth of their numbers, with each man called to God taking two dozen traitors with him. Surely, God is great! Further, I propose that Mikhael Papadopoulos be called to the Senate after the rebellion is over and awarded a medal for gallantry of the highest order."

((In #1284, I already suggested that Italy should be a reactionary Catholic monarchy, led by former Senator Giuseppe Lombardi.))

Reactions:
"The expansion of the Northern Alliance is distressing. We'd face a 6 front war if they declared on us now," Nestorius thought aloud. "However, in these times, it is great to hear that more and more rebel regiments are being defeated," he said, as he thought of something. He turned to Hairini.

"Hairini, do you have any knowledge of what is happening in Oceania?" he asked her to her surprise. "Well..... no. I haven't had the chance to contact my family back home," she responded. Nestorius turned to the others. "Does anyone happen to know if the communication lines to Oceania are still up?"

Reactions:
(( I’m aiming for a stack for a normal legion to be 10: 1 Hussar, 4 Infantry, 1 Engineer, 5 Artillery. As I can get tanks built, they’ll switch to 1 Hussar, 3 Infantry, 1 Tank, 5 Artillery. When airplanes unlock (in four years at the soonest), I plan to switch again to 4 Infantry, 1 Tank, 4 Artillery, 1 Plane. There will be some legions floating around that have double that, as well. Particularly ones that were already double that, they’ll probably stay the same. Does that seem a reasonable plan?

Regarding governments:
Britannia/The Worker's Commonwealth, France, and Brittany are all communist.
Burgundy is a Theocracy under the Pope.
The rest are yet to be defined. Give me ideas and I'll edit them appropriately.))
((Wait, what happened to the Sixth Legion? You need more infantry.

Eh, I would advise a little more infantry or tank. I say we reconstitute the destroyed legions. Right now, my character is MIA so I can't formally announce that :p))

Reactions:
((I'll do it for you then;)))

I would recommend integration of several divisions of armor into each legion. These tanks show promise and potential. I fear that if we rely on sheer manpower too much, we could run into problems of the Northern Alliance begins using armor divisions. We must create legions consisting entirely of armor and use them to assault rebel positions with impunity. This way, on the battlefield we can quickly and decisive overwhelm our enemies with minimal casualties.

Reactions:
((I'll do it for you then;)))

I would recommend integration of several divisions of armor into each legion. These tanks show promise and potential. I fear that if we rely on sheer manpower too much, we could run into problems of the Northern Alliance begins using armor divisions. We must create legions consisting entirely of armor and use them to assault rebel positions with impunity. This way, on the battlefield we can quickly and decisive overwhelm our enemies with minimal casualties.
((Thanks :).

Although I would recommend adding more armor brigades but only one or two more armor regiments per army.))

Reactions: