• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Do we have any accepted cultures?))

Reactions:
(( We do, and I totally forgot to mention them! I'll update the post with them this evening. ))

(( I've updated the census post with the following line:

"While the primary language of government is Greek; Castillian, French, and Italian are also commonly used."

))

Reactions:
(( Yes. Greek is the primary culture, the others are accepted. ))

((Meanwhile in the Hippodrome))

The crowds roared as a man dressed in Imperial purple stepped into the middle of the arena. Chariot racing had long been abandoned in the Empire, replaced with more popular, safer, and practical horse racing. No games between the Blues and Greens had been scheduled lately, but they weren't why so many citizens were here. If one looked in the stables then, one would have found the dismembered bodies of at least fifty guards hidden under the hay.
"Citizens of the Empire!" said the man.
The resulting roar from the crowd could be heard all the way from Blachernae and the Senate Building.
The man continued. "I come to you in a time of great need. The Empire is undergoing massive change. We have become the masters of two continents-Europe and Africa. Our military is superior to all others. Our enemies fear our intervention in their personal business. We are at peace."
He paused. "Or so the Empress says. You know, what was the cost of all of this? Do you want to know why all of you have such high taxes? Do you want to know what was the price of civilizing Africa? Of rescuing..."
He tried to say "my grandfather," but couldn't.
"...an old Senator who had outlived his usefulness? There are things that the Empress is hiding from you. Why do you think that so many of you rose up against her in the Communist revolution of the 1870s? Just why?
"The Empire is hanging on a thread. Thanks to the wasteful spending of the Empress, she lives like the heretic Popes of old did centuries ago: decadent, swimming in gold, with a harem of little boys to enjoy...No! We are the heirs of Rome! And we shall live up to the legacies of Caesar, Augustus, Trajan, Hadrian, Diocletian, Hadrian, Konstantinos X, all of them!
"I stand before you today because I am going to return the Empire to its rightful glory and place in the sun. We're going to make the Empire great again! By God, I swear that I will create the most jobs of any Emperor, and that those jobs will go to you hard-working Greeks, the only true Romans! The Empire has become a dumping ground for everybody else's social and political problems."
The audience cheered. "Thank you. It's true, and you Romans are the best and the finest. When England, Ruthenia, Bavaria, Scotland, the Ming, the United Tribes, all of them sends their people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you civilized people. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And all of them, I assume, are savages.
"We will not deal with savages. We will not deal with Germanic and Slavic barbarians who brought down the Empire centuries ago. We will, however, make the Empire great again! I will restore the Imperial dream, where all hard-working citizens can rise to the top, like I am doing! Romanitas! Remember that! That is the Roman identity, which anybody can attain with citizenship! Also, to prevent our pure Roman blood from being diluted with the blood of savage Germanic barbarians I shall force Bavaria to build a wall along our shared border. An insecure border does also let in terrorists, drug dealers, rapists, murderers, all of whom I’ve prosecuted and put down during my time in the Army.
"So join me! Join me in deposing the false Empress and her decadent court, her senator lovers, and her harem! A woman is clearly unfit for ruling our great nation! Make the Empire great again!"

"HAIL EMPEROR KONSTANTINOS XX DOUKAS!" roared the crowd. "DEATH TO THE EMPRESS!"

---

Konstantinos retreated to his hideout, where his generals were getting ready to execute the plan. They would seize Blachernae, the Hagia Sophia, and the Senate simultaneously so that his annoying brother and the Athenian Lancers would not have time to intervene.
"Ready, men?" he said.
"Yes, your Highness," said his generals.
He pointed at the burn mark over his eye and the limp in his leg. "Soon, we will avenge me."
"Sir, should we march on the--" said a general.
Konstantinos silenced him suddenly with a sweep of his hand which also hurled a dagger towards a spy hiding at the far corner of the room. The man collapsed quickly.
"My father has sent spies to our meeting, so nobody is safe," Konstantinos said, "To prove your loyalty, kill each other and I will reward the survivor greatly."
Within seconds there were only two men alive in the room--Konstantinos and a general named Markos.
"We march on the Senate at once!" he ordered.

((To be continued...))

Reactions:
((Meanwhile in the Hippodrome))

The crowds roared as a man dressed in Imperial purple stepped into the middle of the arena. Chariot racing had long been abandoned in the Empire, replaced with more popular, safer, and practical horse racing. No games between the Blues and Greens had been scheduled lately, but they weren't why so many citizens were here. If one looked in the stables then, one would have found the dismembered bodies of at least fifty guards hidden under the hay.
"Citizens of the Empire!" said the man.
The resulting roar from the crowd could be heard all the way from Blachernae and the Senate Building.
The man continued. "I come to you in a time of great need. The Empire is undergoing massive change. We have become the masters of two continents-Europe and Africa. Our military is superior to all others. Our enemies fear our intervention in their personal business. We are at peace."
He paused. "Or so the Empress says. You know, what was the cost of all of this? Do you want to know why all of you have such high taxes? Do you want to know what was the price of civilizing Africa? Of rescuing..."
He tried to say "my grandfather," but couldn't.
"...an old Senator who had outlived his usefulness? There are things that the Empress is hiding from you. Why do you think that so many of you rose up against her in the Communist revolution of the 1870s? Just why?
"The Empire is hanging on a thread. Thanks to the wasteful spending of the Empress, she lives like the heretic Popes of old did centuries ago: decadent, swimming in gold, with a harem of little boys to enjoy...No! We are the heirs of Rome! And we shall live up to the legacies of Caesar, Augustus, Trajan, Hadrian, Diocletian, Hadrian, Konstantinos X, all of them!
"I stand before you today because I am going to return the Empire to its rightful glory and place in the sun. We're going to make the Empire great again! By God, I swear that I will create the most jobs of any Emperor, and that those jobs will go to you hard-working Greeks, the only true Romans! The Empire has become a dumping ground for everybody else's social and political problems."
The audience cheered. "Thank you. It's true, and you Romans are the best and the finest. When England, Ruthenia, Bavaria, Scotland, the Ming, the United Tribes, all of them sends their people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you civilized people. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And all of them, I assume, are savages.
"We will not deal with savages. We will not deal with Germanic and Slavic barbarians who brought down the Empire centuries ago. We will, however, make the Empire great again! I will restore the Imperial dream, where all hard-working citizens can rise to the top, like I am doing! Romanitas! Remember that! That is the Roman identity, which anybody can attain with citizenship! Also, to prevent our pure Roman blood from being diluted with the blood of savage Germanic barbarians I shall force Bavaria to build a wall along our shared border. An insecure border does also let in terrorists, drug dealers, rapists, murderers, all of whom I’ve prosecuted and put down during my time in the Army.
"So join me! Join me in deposing the false Empress and her decadent court, her senator lovers, and her harem! A woman is clearly unfit for ruling our great nation! Make the Empire great again!"

"HAIL EMPEROR KONSTANTINOS XX DOUKAS!" roared the crowd. "DEATH TO THE EMPRESS!"

---

Konstantinos retreated to his hideout, where his generals were getting ready to execute the plan. They would seize Blachernae, the Hagia Sophia, and the Senate simultaneously so that his annoying brother and the Athenian Lancers would not have time to intervene.
"Ready, men?" he said.
"Yes, your Highness," said his generals.
He pointed at the burn mark over his eye and the limp in his leg. "Soon, we will avenge me."
"Sir, should we march on the--" said a general.
Konstantinos silenced him suddenly with a sweep of his hand which also hurled a dagger towards a spy hiding at the far corner of the room. The man collapsed quickly.
"My father has sent spies to our meeting, so nobody is safe," Konstantinos said, "To prove your loyalty, kill each other and I will reward the survivor greatly."
Within seconds there were only two men alive in the room--Konstantinos and a general named Markos.
"We march on the Senate at once!" he ordered.

((To be continued...))

Oh and I'm the traitor eh? Get the feeling this won't go well, damn reactionaries. I'm certainly rushing to the defense of the Empress, the last thing we need is this guy in charge.

Reactions:
(( Oh no! I was planning to start a new update this evening. Would you mind deleting that for now and reposting it after the session of the Senate has been summoned? ))

((Let's pretend that he's a bit slow and will attack after the session. Also, we technically don't know he's trying to usurp the throne at this time as he's on the other side of the city...))

Reactions:
By God, I swear that I will create the most jobs of any Emperor, and that those jobs will go to you hard-working Greeks, the only true Romans!

((Oh the irony. I suppose at this point the Rome in Roman means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:))

"HAIL EMPEROR KONSTANTINOS XX DOUKAS!"

((*Emperor Donaldo XX Trumpus. There, I fixed it for you. Now go build your wall on the Bavarian border. :p))

Reactions:
94. 1880 - Responses to the Census
((Very interesting, had a feeling there was a large Spanish population by the liberation movement.))

While the new devolved governance for regions is a large advancement, I continue to champion for the governors to be chosen from among the populace of those regions, at the very least in the regions where Greek is not the dominant culture. I have in mind in particular the Northern Italian regions and the north coast of Gaul.

Seeing as I am governor of Italy (or Lombardia if you prefer that name) and was born and raised in Venice, I believe Northern Italy is well represented.

- Leonardo Favero

"That doesn't exactly suit his 'all wealth and power is centred in Hellas' motif, Leonardo," Ioannes says drily.

95. 1880-1885 - Summoning the Senate
Blachernae Palace, 1st of January 1885

Senators,

As we wait for the Empress to arrive for the address, the following newspapers are considered significant by the archivists.
95-1.png

95-2.png

95-3.png

95-4.png

95-5.png

95-6.png

95-7.png

95-8.png

95-9.png

95-10.png

95-11.png

95-12.png

95-13.png

95-14.png

95-15.png

95-16.png

95-17.png

95-18.png

95-19.png

95-20.png

95-21.png

And as you can see, the world map in this room has been updated. I'm told the Senate's is being updated now, too.
95-22.png

Last edited:
((Let's pretend that he's a bit slow and will attack after the session. Also, we technically don't know he's trying to usurp the throne at this time as he's on the other side of the city...))

(( That works, true. It'll simply be at the top of the roundup post when it comes, though, not a separate link. ))

((Oh the irony. I suppose at this point the Rome in Roman means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:))

(( Well, that's been true since Diocletian at least. ))

((*Emperor Donaldo XX Trumpus. There, I fixed it for you. Now go build your wall on the Bavarian border. :p))

(( Have a gander at the world map… ))

93. 1869-1880 - Post-Session Discussion
(( This should have been posted before the census, but I'm still posting it for the sake of the index. Sorry for any confusion! ))

Thank you, Your Higness. The taxes shall flow from Dalmatia as long as I am governor!

-Mikael Moustakas

I thank the Empress greatly for this appointment, I do hope that the governance of other regions can be transferred to their cultural kin reasonably soon however. I shall govern Hispania to the absolute best of my ability; I shall also seek to end the worrying faction that is seeking a return of a Castilian kingdom that we saw in the rebel census.

I would offer my services as Chief of Staff, if the Empress sees it fit. I would see the worrying trend of corruption amongst government officials ended. I offer myself because I am as of yet, uncorrupted by the various factions that seek to buy influence rather than earn it. Unlike most senators, who live lives of leisure in this wonderful city, I live in a modest townhome I share with my wife and son, and all income that is not needed to take care of them or myself I donate to the soup kitchens here in the City of Cities.

You have my solemn vow, that if I am granted the position, I will use it to forward your will. Regardless of my political beliefs, the corruption and excess shown by many bureaucrats needs to end, and I would seek to end it. I may prefer the working bureaucrat to the aristocrat who inherits their position, but corruption among either is unacceptable. The citizens of this Empire should work for the glory of the Empire and all its people, rather than their own personal greed.

As for military matters, while I served in the legion in my youth, it was not out of choice, rather it was to provide for my family. I am your loyal sword should you need it, and will advise to the best of my ability, but I do not know about the wisdom of any territorial expansion given the internal problems we face. Nevertheless, I am committed to serve you, and will provide any council you wish of me.

~Nicodemo Theodosio

I thank you, My Empress, for allowing me to continue to serve as Governor of Italy as my father did before me. I will ensure that the region remains quiet and prosperous.

- Senator Leonardo Favero

Thank You Empress for such glorious title that is Governor. You won't be disappointed, I'll make sure of that.

- Senator Alexios Damaskinos

(( Do we need to do something as Governors? Include some informations about our governorship in Senate sessions? Or is it just a title? ))

"You have my great thanks, Megali Basilissa. The Angeloi will not disappoint the Crown."

To Theodosio, he says, "perhaps you should retire to a monastery and sing the praises of God each day. It might suit your delicate temperament better than this place of worry and stress."

~ Ioannes Angelos

I assure the Senator that I am quite happy with my work here, I may not have accomplished everything I set out to do yet, but I am causing change.

I would remind the Senator of a certain quote of our Lord: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

~Nicodemo Theodosio

"We are all the product of wealth, senator, and some of us of good breeding. Let's not pretend that you are truly representative of the working classes you profess to love so much."

Thank you, Your Imperial Highness, for appointing me as Governor of Syria. I have served there in my youth, and I shall maintain the peace there efficiently.

~Senator Alexios Doukas, Doux of Greece and Governor of Syria

to his excellency
I would like to become the chief of the navy as well as continue to be governor of Sicily my experience as governor of this province has given me the knowledge necessary to lead our navy to victory and rule the sea.

Alexander Smithereens

I will make sure to honor my role as Governor of Naples fiercely. I thank you, my Empress.

-Nestorius Septiadis

Ioannes, Thedosio give it a rest you to you are beginning to make my brain hurt the way you to go at each other. There are times when I find myself wondering "Is it those two eminent senators at it again? Or have the Blues and Greens started yet another civil war? have you ever asked yourselves why half of us bring earmuffs to the senate even in July? Well now you know.

Augusta Magna.
I accept my appointment as the Governor of the province of Reatia it is my sincerest hope that I shall serve your Imperial Majesty and the Empire well.
Before I leave I would like to inquire on behalf of my fellow Governors precisely what territories we will be expected to govern as areas within our respective provinces. So as to avoid any confusion or unfortunate misunderstanding in the coming years.

-Columba Comminus

((so that you all know Thioridh an-drasta is Gealic (pronounced Gallic (Scottish)) for see you later.))

Thank you, Empress! Your benevolence and generosity has been shown with this gracious assignment. I will immediately take up my assignment as governor of Britannia!

((Shouldn't governors be called proconsuls or propraetors? Also, here are three useful maps: Old map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Augusto_30aC_-_6dC_55%CS_jpg.JPG

Newer, more accurate map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Roman_Empire_125_political_map.png

And a nother map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:RomanEmpire_117.svg

I understand we do not have enough senators to fill every province so you can combine provinces and make NPC characters to temporarily fill the posts.))

((Private - In Alexios Doukas's mind))
While the senators were busy discussing what would be the better names for the provincial governors, Alexios thought back to those dark days, when the Jacobin menace stormed into the city, thirty-six thousand of them. Angry peasants, unpaid soldiers, the homeless and the unemployed, all angry at the state and Church for abandoning them, outraged that they had to suffer while to them the Patriarch and Empress "swam in lakes of gold," as one Jacobin newspaper claimed before it was shut down by the government.
Luckily Alexios was on vacation in Thessaloniki when the rebels laid siege to the Queen of Cities, but his son Konstantinos wasn't so lucky. The Athenian Lancers were on the front lines when the rebellion began, and the three thousand lancers were swarmed by over ten thousand angry peasants, led by a Slavic-looking man with an eyepatch, who shouted that the "tyranny of the madwoman shall be crushed" to his followers.
By the time the Scholai Palatinae was forced to retreat, only a handful of Lancers had managed to fight their way out of the mob. The rest were torn to pieces, their bodies desecrated and some even offered up to the Black God by zealous converts to Ignatieff's paganism.
Konstantinos barely made it out alive, his right leg severely injured, leaving him with a permanent limp, and his right hand (his gun hand) barely able to hold things and write, much less swing a sword or shoot a pistol. There was a burn scar over his right eye and a nasty scar running down his back from where a Jacobin used a scythe to torture him.
His son was alive, but scarred. Alexios sensed that something was wrong with his thinking after the rebellion, even ten years later. Konstantinos didn't want to help out with his younger brother Michael's University projects, despite promising to before the rebellion. Where he showed respect for the cultures of others he now showed hatred of all things Slavic and Jacobin. He refused to interact with anyone of the "lower classes," the "plebeians," not even his own servants.
Konstantinos wanted to be treated like royalty, like he was above the citizens of Rome, like he was the Emperor. But that would be treason, wouldn't it? Alexios thought.
For the last few years, he and his men had been keeping an eye on Konstantinos and had included amendments to his will leaving his property and titles and Senatorship to Michael should Konstantinos snap, which was inevitable.
What worried Alexios was when that would occur.

Bismarck resigns, eh? We'll miss that guy. Remember how at all of the times he appeared before the Senate he kept ranting about "blood and iron" and how Germany was going to become as powerful as the Empire itself? Funny guy. He was also a nice guy--gave me a pickelhaube as a birthday present once.

Why so many reactionaries now after so many Jacobins?

Also, that military airship we built in France...I feel like we're going to need it soon.

~Alexios Doukas

Reactions:
I simply detest the Germans as they descended from the Germanic tribes that had wiped out Varus' lost legions with trickery. I hope they have reformed and no longer will backstab us or else they shall face the wrath of Roman steel! Still, best of luck on their new, united, hopefully peaceful country.

-Senator Andronikos Palaiologos, Governor of Britannia and Duke of Nicaea

Reactions:
(( The following characters are old enough that I am enforcing retirement after this Senate session:
Julian Leon (74) - @Figus

Also, these characters are getting fairly aged, too:
Constantine Panaretos (70) - @PrincepsAbsolut
Andronikos Palaiologos (68) - @austrianemporer
Alexios Damaskinos (69) - @oskar-kar
Marcos Alexandros (~64) - @Fish-Of-Fury
Alexios Doukas (64) - @zenphoenix

))