• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((My character is a Greek dude from Gaul. Hence his surname.))

((The descriptions of the parties made it sound like all but the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ were pro-Greek. Plus I find it hard to believe a reactionary group of Greek aristocrats would be as welcoming to an Italian, as opposed to the lower or middle class Kyriarchía. :p))

Reactions:
((Ah yes, but the snobbery you face in Patrikioi is a much better class of prejudice than amongst the lower classes. :p))

Reactions:
Did you give England cores on the British Isles? An excellent narrative might be the colony of refugees developing a grand dream of one day returning home.

(( No cores, as there was a land swap awhile back that gave them most of their current South American lands. Though adding a decision for them to become irredentist would be interesting. There are hardly any Anglo-Saxons or English on the isles anymore though ))

((political parties can be changed in future right?))

(( Indeed they can. In fact, since the reform for parties is 'underground only', I imagine them more as loose associations of like-minded Senators than anything. But that could change, too. ))

((I can finally use my username as an actual name. :D))

(( At first I read that as surname and thought that an odd peek into the life of someone I only know online ))

((The descriptions of the parties made it sound like all but the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ were pro-Greek. Plus I find it hard to believe a reactionary group of Greek aristocrats would be as welcoming to an Italian, as opposed to the lower or middle class Kyriarchía. :p))
((Ah yes, but the snobbery you face in Patrikioi is a much better class of prejudice than amongst the lower classes. :p))

(( I'd imagine the various cultural identities of non-Greeks would be complex in the Empire. Considered inferior, but certainly not barbarians. Already the interactivity is fleshing the world out a bit! ))

(( I've linked characters in the third post. Feel free to request more information from the Empress, or clamoring for your pet project. The conversion is just about there, though I've also got a busy week, so we'll see how it all pans out. ))

((Yeah, my character couldn't allow himself to join in with the lower classes. :p))

(( At first I read that as surname and thought that an odd peek into the life of someone I only know online ))

((Well actually Favero was my grandmother's maiden name, so there's your peek into my life. Plus my name is actually Michael and I used my real birthday there, well except for the year. I'm obviously not born in 1800. :D))

Reactions:
Idhrendur, I have literally read this from start to finish today, great writing. So though I have not been aboard previously I am here now.

My I present Στήβεν Γκρέυ, born in 1817 in Ireland and fled Scottish master to Brittany, joining the local chapter of Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ Seeking to open the Empire to the many facets of its loyal citizens, not just the Greeks.

Reactions:
((I suppose I should actually do a bit of roleplaying and advise the Empress.))

Your Imperial Majesty, you come to the throne at a time when the Empire has stagnated for over a decade. If we wish to ensure our dominance of the world, we must spread our influence far and wide. I suggest that we attempt to bring the other nations of Europe back under our fold through trade and diplomacy ((get as many of the minor powers in our sphere as possible)). We should also attempt to re-establish our former positions in Africa if possible ((not sure if portions of Africa can be colonized at this point, but it looks so bare)). Our military most likely requires reorganization, but I am not as experienced in the gritty details of our forces. Industrialization has also become a powerful force and perhaps we should consider opening factories to produce wondrous goods for our Empire. Our focus should be closer to home until the Empire has adjusted to the rule of Your Illustrious Person. Of course, Your word is law, so I will support whatever efforts You prefer.

- Michelangelo Favero

Reactions:
"Noble Basilissa, I understand that the rebellious people of Skotia1 and Irlandia2 have united against your enlightened rule, yet they still control a sliver of southeastern Anglia3. I ask that the mighty armies of Rhomaion drive back the Skotsezoi4 past the great wall of Basileus Adrianou5 and retake southern Anglia and Oualia6, once and for all!"

~ Kyriakos Angelos

1: Scotland. 2: Ireland. 3: England. 4. Scots. 5. Emperor Hadrian. 6. Wales.

Reactions:
Idhrendur, I have literally read this from start to finish today, great writing. So though I have not been aboard previously I am here now.

My I present Στήβεν Γκρέυ, born in 1817 in Ireland and fled Scottish master to Brittany, joining the local chapter of Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ Seeking to open the Empire to the many facets of its loyal citizens, not just the Greeks.

(( Glad to have you on board, even if you made me go and learn the pronunciation of several Greek letters to make sense of that surname. The first name, being my own first name, was fortunately more clear. ))

Subscribed. I'll have to find some time to do a Senator

(( Whenever you're ready, jump on in! Glad to have you! ))

(( I've added the new characters, and also clarified the rules with what I envision regarding the social classes of Senators and the organization of political parties. ))

84. 1836 - Responses and replies
Your Imperial Majesty, you come to the throne at a time when the Empire has stagnated for over a decade. If we wish to ensure our dominance of the world, we must spread our influence far and wide. I suggest that we attempt to bring the other nations of Europe back under our fold through trade and diplomacy ((get as many of the minor powers in our sphere as possible)). We should also attempt to re-establish our former positions in Africa if possible ((not sure if portions of Africa can be colonized at this point, but it looks so bare)). Our military most likely requires reorganization, but I am not as experienced in the gritty details of our forces. Industrialization has also become a powerful force and perhaps we should consider opening factories to produce wondrous goods for our Empire. Our focus should be closer to home until the Empire has adjusted to the rule of Your Illustrious Person. Of course, Your word is law, so I will support whatever efforts You prefer.

- Michelangelo Favero

"Noble Basilissa, I understand that the rebellious people of Skotia1 and Irlandia2 have united against your enlightened rule, yet they still control a sliver of southeastern Anglia3. I ask that the mighty armies of Rhomaion drive back the Skotsezoi4 past the great wall of Basileus Adrianou5 and retake southern Anglia and Oualia6, once and for all!"

~ Kyriakos Angelos

1: Scotland. 2: Ireland. 3: England. 4. Scots. 5. Emperor Hadrian. 6. Wales.

Senator Favero, We thank you for your inputs. We will look to build our industry, rebuild the Legions, and regain the Empire's influence in Europe. We fear that Africa is still too chaotic for us to regain control, but We shall seek any opportunities to do so.

Senator Angelos, it seems Our address was unclear. Indeed, the Empire holds all the lands south of Basileus Adrianou's wall. The former drawing instead was showing the regions where our subjects primarily speak Welsh, English, or other non-Greek tongues. A large map of the Empire is to be installed in the Senate Hall later today, and smaller maps have been printed for all Senators and will be delivered shortly.
(( If you click on the map in the previous post, you can zoom in, where it's more clear. ))

If no other Senators have concerns at this time, we shall end this address to the Senate.

Last edited:
(( I'm ready for you to play, too! I missed most of the planning for this -- do you have something in mind to keep it less faceroll-y than the EU 3 portion? ))

(( I got in a little bit last night, though wedding planning is at a particularly busy point right now, so I'm not sure when I'll get in enough time to play enough for an update.

The big thing for now is that Imperial diplomacy got wiped clean: no satellites, no spherelings, all relations at 0. Between that and spending lots of EU3 effort building up several other strong nations, hopefully I'll have some opponents. Also, I'm going to try to limit political reforms, which will probably cause plenty of rebellion. And finally, I consider the economic side the fun side, so I'll probably get distracted building railroads and factories.

I plan to release the final mod over on the conversion discussion thread, but I need to zip it up and upload it first. ))

(( I got in a little bit last night, though wedding planning is at a particularly busy point right now, so I'm not sure when I'll get in enough time to play enough for an update.

The big thing for now is that Imperial diplomacy got wiped clean: no satellites, no spherelings, all relations at 0. Between that and spending lots of EU3 effort building up several other strong nations, hopefully I'll have some opponents. Also, I'm going to try to limit political reforms, which will probably cause plenty of rebellion. And finally, I consider the economic side the fun side, so I'll probably get distracted building railroads and factories.

I plan to release the final mod over on the conversion discussion thread, but I need to zip it up and upload it first. ))
((That's nothing new in Rome.))

Reactions:
((REFORMS??? The Empire is perfect and those that do not agree will be cleansed by steel and fire.))

Reactions:
85. 1837 - The Russo-Ukraine War
The Russo-Ukraine War

March 8, 1837

Senators,

Doubtless you want an accounting of the Russian War.

In 1836, We decided that supplying the Legions was Our most important task. To that end, We tasked the Imperial Society with putting chemistry to the use of doctors, so that the Legions would not suffer such bad attrition.
85-1.png

In order that the Royal Society might better accomplish such tasks, We sent agents to recruit more clergy as teachers in the most populated regions of the Empire.
85-2.png

We adjusted the budget, setting the nominal tax rates to 100% (effective tax rates were 37%). We used this money to fund various civil servants, the soldiers in the Legions, and to stockpile goods that the military would need.
85-3.png

It was clear that our artisans could not supply all the needed goods, so We opened new factories to increase production: Artillery factories in Mainz and Franche-Comte (in addition to the existing one in Wales); Clipper shipyards in Bulgaria, Normandie, Attica, Suez, Alexandria, and Middle Egypt (in addition to the existing ones in Emelia and Loire).
85-4.png

While stockpiling the goods to build these factories, We also began mass upgrades to our naval facilities throughout the Empire.
85-5.png

Meanwhile, many nations in central Europe began warring against each other.
85-6.png

It was clear for the sake of stability that there should be a strong nation containing them all, so We formed an alliance with Germany in the hopes of their ascendance.
85-7.png

We allowed all nations that requested military access said access on the condition that they supplied their troops from their own stockpiles and not from the lands they marched through. Thus, the idea of troops being centrally supplied became normal.

Sadly, before We had had a chance to bring the Legions to strength, Russia declared war on Ukraine. We had been sending agents to influence Ukraine in our favor, and had nearly pulled them into our sphere of influence. So this invasion had to be resisted. We declared war on Russia in defense of Ukraine. Persia had sided with Russia in this war, but Germany was eager to flex their muscles and join us.

Immediately several legions marched: XXIV. Legio (near the Ukrainian border) to break Russian sieges in northern Ukraine, IV. Legio (in East Macedonia) to attack Russian forces in southern Ukraine, II. Legio (near the Russian border north of the Caucasus, but divided into two units) to also attack the Russian forces in southern Ukraine, and I. Legio (in Antioch) to attack Persia.
85-8.png

While the battles with Persia went to the Legions, the battles with Russia did not. IV. Legio, having marched from East Macedonia nearly to the Caucasus, saw victories, but it was not enough to turn the Russian tide. Even the Persian victories were not enough, as they simply sent more forces to occupy border provinces while I. Legio sought to stop other occupations. And when I. Legio sought a decisive battle against the main Persian force, they lost.
85-9.png

German troops in Persia began to undo some of Persia's gains, but it was too little, too late. It was clear that the war was unwinnable and that further fighting would only lessen our chances to undo the damage at a later date. And so We surrendered to Russia, allowing them to annex Ukraine.
85-10.png

We are displeased that this was necessary. We are certain that given more time, the Legions could have been better supplied and brought to their full numbers. This will still be done, though it may take two or three years. As well, the Legions have a shortage of skilled generals. This is slowly being remedied, but will also take time. This kind of disaster will not be allowed to happen again.

Other information We should share include that during the war with Russia, both Bavaria and Hungary had succeeded in their wars, becoming ever stronger regional powers. Bavaria immediately followed this with a war on Nurnburg, and Hungary declared war on Bavaria.
85-11-png.741296

And on the colonial front, We found nearly all of Africa to be too disorganized and dangerous to gain control. The one exception was the Transvaal, which we colonized.
85-12.png

Further African colonies will be encouraged in the future, as the existing ones are proving to have vast natural resources.
85-13.png

Attachments

• 85-11.png
    85-11.png
    256,9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
((I think your ruler address stuff is up the spout. Veronica is being addressed as King, despite not being male, a king or even using an Anglophone title.))

Reactions:
The outcome of the Russo-Ukraine War is most unfortunate. Not only have we lost an important buffer, but the Russians now have access to the Black Sea. We should take efforts to minimize further Russian expansion, perhaps by ensuring the survival of Poland or the Livonian Order. I am certain that under Your careful guidance, Empress, the Empire will be ready for any threat presented by Russia.

- Michelangelo Favero

Reactions:
We must find friendship with the Germans, Livonians and Polish -- it is the only way to stop the Russians!

- Konstantinos Galatías

Reactions:
Our loss of ukrainian buffer zone forces us to act immediately. I'm suggesting that we should start investing our resources to bring Poland in our Sphere of Influence, maybe even help them with expansion into Livonian Order, as they are already at war. I suggest abandoning Livonian Order as potential ally, as Poland and Livonian Order are hostile towards each other. Not mentioning that with Poland we can cover entire border between Europe and Russia, wchich we can't do with Livonian Order. Also, in possible future conflicts with Russia we should press our claims to govern all Black Sea ports directly, rather than forcing Russia to grant independence to Ukraine with all its ports.

- Alexios Damaskinos

Reactions:
Introducing Julian Leon. Born on the 5th of February, 1811, Julian firmly believes in the strength of the empire. but at the same time feels that the aristocracy has too much of a grip. Despite this, he is a loyal man who is willing to serve the empire no matter what. He was born in Barcelona to a Greek mother and a Castilian father and is a member of the Foiderátoi,

Reactions: