• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just discovered this forum. My geek sense is tingling into overdrive! Subscribing and it made me wish I had done the same for my last full game... I think I'll replay it and maybe write it down...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just discovered this forum. My geek sense is tingling into overdrive! Subscribing and it made me wish I had done the same for my last full game... I think I'll replay it and maybe write it down...
Correct.

Reactions:
Oh god the entire Doukas family are Mongoloid.

I DEMAND THAT ONE SON BE NAMED GENGHIS.

BASILEUS GENGHIS I OF ROME.

Genghis Khan was actually a title and not his proper name. Admittedly, Basileus Temujin Doukas doesn't have the sight rhyme that Basileus Genghis Doukas does, but I'd prefer the slightly subtler reference.

If I can. Everyone is coming to my control after their sons are all married and moved out. If I regain control of naming before things are over, I'll consider something of the sort.

What were the modifiers that made his wife dislike him? :(

She's Catholic, humble, and brave. He's Orthodox, proud, and craven. Not the best match, really.

Come on Empire hold together old girl!

"Don't worry, she'll hold together... You hear me, baby? Hold together!"

As she's a german salian, perhaps her father was the HRE, and thus the Roman's enemy?

Also he's like 6 times her age, and of an alien culture and religion.

You'd think the age difference would apply, but nope!

Please do write things down. And shoot me a link when you do so!

Seconded. Now he has to, right?

Reactions:
34. The Cruel
This was Konstantinos XV of the Empire. He had ascended to the throne in 1328, at the age of 48.

34-1.png

During his time, he increased the authority and power of the position of Emperor. He caused several cities to be founded, cities which grew rapidly. He promoted the growth of universities, recognizing that learning made the Empire strong. As well, he succeeded in reclaiming much of the north-western Mediterranean for the Empire, including most of Aragon and Andalusia.

34-2.png

This was in spite of three major civil wars. Two of those he defeated, the third raged on when he died.

He died on the 21st of October, 1363, eighty-three years old. He was succeeded by his grandson, Konstantinos XVI.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
How do you pop out a map like that? :)

It does a world map picture of whatever current mapmode you have selected when you hit F10. So also useful for taking culture or religion or whatever shots.

Reactions:
How do you pop out a map like that? :)

F10. And it can be modified by the map mode you have selected, giving you religion or culture maps.

This Graeco-Mongol Roman Empire is just pure awesome and I KNOW it's gonna be fun when you go to EUIII.

I know, right?

I have a funny feeling, from experience, that there will be more civil wars going on. And then a few more ;)

Funny how that works, eh?

Reactions:
35. όχι πιο πέρα
This was Emperor Konstantinos XVI of the Empire. He ascended to the throne at the age of 37, in the midst of a civil war.

35-1.png

He continued fighting the war, destroying the most dangerous his opponents' armies, finishing the sieges of several of their holdings, and reclaiming most of the lost imperial holdings.

But then in the middle of the war, a faction declared that one of his cousins was the rightful rule of the Empire, sparking a second civil war.

35-2.png

The wars slowly turned in Konstantinos' favor. And when his daughter came of age, she was quickly married to the ruler of the Golden Horde. And the Horde joined the wars on the side of the Empire.

35-3.png

Eventually the first civil war ended. The instigator was thrown into the dungeon. And the forces of the Empire were focused on the second civil war.

35-4.png

A great many undefended trade ports were captured, and the Doge of Venice soon acquiesced.

35-5.png

The levies were sent home. The Scholai Palatinae were sent to Constantinople to recover. And Konstantinos again sought to increase the authority of the Emperor. If he succeeded, his vassals would no longer be able to wage war among themselves. And any non-orthodox ruler's title could be seized with no objection from the other rulers.

35-6.png

That accomplished, Konstantinos called for a grand tournament to celebrate the peace within the Empire.

35-7.png

While the tournament was being prepared, Konstantinos revoked titles from as many non-Orthodox rulers as he could. Greek speakers were given the opportunity to convert, but peoples of other cultures quickly found themselves leaving the Empire for more friendly courts. The vacant titles were handed out to new rulers: Greek speakers of the Orthdox faith.

Though humble, Konstantinos was also diligent. When the Scholai Palatinae had recovered, he sent them off to continue the reconquest of the Empire.

This was Mauretania. Once part of the Empire, it had been captured by Vandals in the 430s, reconquered by the Empire in 533, then lost to the Muslims in 698. More recently, it had fallen to brutal infighting; there were at least three simultaneous civil wars against the Almoravid rulers. In 1369, Konstaninos declared war on them all to reclaim the long lost Imperial province.

35-8.png

Imperial forces inexorably advanced across the province. Armies fell before them, fortifications were brought low, false rulers deposed. Everything was conquered, barring one province held by Leon. When the Scholai Palatinae reached the Atlas Mountains, Konstantinos recalled the old phrase supposedly written on the Pillars of Hercules, "Ne Plus Ultra". He recognized the wisdom in this: what was there further out but deserts and endless sea? Sure, traders moved across the desert, but they were of little significance. So he declared "όχι πιο πέρα": No Further.

35-9.png

Likewise, the people of the Empire had their own take on an old saying. Thallasa Mas: Our Sea.

35-10.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Please do write things down. And shoot me a link when you do so!

Seconded. Now he has to, right?

With pleasure. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?668853-Anscarid-d-Ivrea-the-Free-Count-of-France

Off to a slow start, but things will be more intense soon. I really like your synopsis of each protagonist. I plan to do something similar and make a small synopsis of each character I play along with their children and cadet branches they found (if any).

Reactions:
Very nice writing on reclaiming the Mediterranean Sea.

Reactions:
No further? Hopefully his successors in EU3 knows better.:p

• 1Like
Reactions:
With pleasure. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?668853-Anscarid-d-Ivrea-the-Free-Count-of-France

Off to a slow start, but things will be more intense soon. I really like your synopsis of each protagonist. I plan to do something similar and make a small synopsis of each character I play along with their children and cadet branches they found (if any).

As I mentioned on your thread, I rather enjoy your style, and I'm looking forward to it all.

Very nice writing on reclaiming the Mediterranean Sea.

Thanks! I've been looking forward to dropping that second translation for ages!

It's *sniff* so beautiful.

Isn't it? But there's something perhaps even better coming sometime soon.

No further? Hopefully his successors in EU3 knows better.:p

Well, no further in *that* direction. We want a scramble for Africa one day, after all!

Reactions:
36. Thallasa Mas
Konstantinos XVI (the Wise) had seen the complete reconquest of the Mediterranean. Well, nearly complete. There was a long independent mosque on the coast of Morocco, and Leon held the county of Ifna.

36-1.png

The Wali ruling the Mosque was attacked. The Empire still had a truce with Leon, and so reclaiming Ifna must wait.

Meanwhile, yet another French civil war was happening. The Scholai Palatinae were sent north to reconquer what they could.

36-2.png

The French civil war ended before they could conquer anything, so Konstantinos declared yet another war on France.

36-3.png

During the course of this war, France sent an army of 40,000 men against a unit of the Scholai Palatinae with 20,000 men. The Scholai Palatinae won, though having lost most of their men to death or injury. While the unit recovered and recruited new soldiers, the French attacked the now 8,000 strong unit with 15,000 men. Again, the French lost, and the Imperial soldiers pursued, completely destroying the French army. In the end the Empire won the war. The Catholic rulers were stripped of their titles, and replaced by Greek lords.

After this was complete, a war was declared against Lotharingia, a German kingdom that controlled land in France.

36-4.png

When this was complete, the Scholai Palatinae repositioned. By the time they were ready, the truce with Leon was finally over.

36-5.png

That war was won quickly.

While waiting for truces to end, Konstantinos XVI looked to the political situation of the wider world.

36-6.png

The Hungarian realm had fallen to pieces, and the Germans had conquered those pieces. The Golden Horde had inhereited the Il Khanate, but its western reaches had also been conquered by the Germans during a rebellion. A rebellion against the Golden Horde still raged in Scandinavia. And a new group of Mongols had appeared in the east, the Timurids. These mongols were Muslims, and had conquered most of Persia and Mesopotamia. But the seemed to have no designs on the Empire. Not yet, at least.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nice map, seems like HRE want to have a chance with you and is expanding fast, maybe slower than you but still fast
I think it's time to see a Mongol on the throne of every Empire in Europe. He should marry one of his spare sons to a Prince of the H.R.E. and press the resultant grandson's claim.

• 1Like
Reactions: