• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah duchy of Sinai, the festering stinkhole crap-duchy of egypt. Whenever I conquer that I almost wish I could give it back. Your cataphracts looks rather close to the region I specifically told you to conquer.

Indeed they are. They'd have been there before, but sensible character motivations need doing. I started with all the duchies in danger of becoming de jure part of different territories. And then Sinai because it bordered lands I held and split the Fatimid lands into yet another set of pieces.

Only 3000? You're limited by money I assume.

No, that's my cap, actually. Cataphracts are expensive, and with lowered CA, and no ruler being sufficiently motivated to raise the levies vassals owe, I can't recruit many. By the end of the next update it's up to 5000, and after that it gets much better.

Χριστιανός ρυπαρός υιοθεσία (XRW) - The Christian Adoption of the Wicked
LOL. XRW is technically short for XRW175P6MQ4 but I doubt that helps.

That W was the tricky part. The lexicon in Strong's Concordance (my best tool for finding appropriate words) only had two words with the υι dipthong.

Good to hear about the back up installs. Roman Reconquest needed nerfing but they nerfed a bit to hard IMO.
It actually works out that I don't think I'll need it. Well, I'll need something for Venice, but…well, you'll see.

Reactions:
9. Prince of Egypt
Konstantios had waged a solid campaign of revenge against the Fatimids before he was distracted by a minor series of other wars.

9-1.png

His anger was not yet assauged, so in 1094 he began another series of wars. He conquered Damietta, Cairo, Aswan, Syria, Aleppo, Tripoli, Alexandria, Oultrejordain, and Bethlehem. When all of that was finally complete, he claimed the title 'King of Egypt' for himself, usurping it from the Fatimid Sultan. The Sultan was so diminished in rank that most of his vassals matched him. They no longer swore fealty to him. The Fatimid kingdom was shattered, the family itself driven into the deserts of Arabia. In July of 1107, Konstantios' revenge was complete.

9-2.png

In the course of his revenge against the Fatimids, Konstantios had restored several of the Patriarchs to their positions.

9-3.png

When his armies had recovered from the series of wars, he realized that he could end the Great Schism. The pride of the Patriarch of Rome had split Christendom, but this could be resolved. Konstantios declared war. The errant Patriarch's armies were quickly smashed, his lands overrun. A new Patriarch was set in place.

9-4.png

And Konstantios sent word all over Christendom that the Great Schism was ended.

9-5.png

Not all people agreed, some heretics remained loyal to the Pope, who continued to reside in Rome. But the vast majority did.

9-6.png

Konstantios spent his remaining years warring against bordering kingdoms that had refused to return to orthodoxy and aiding allies in their wars. During a war in Croatia, several finger were cut from his hand. The wound eventually became infected, and in Anno Dominae 1112, Konstantios III went to be with the Lord.

9-7.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Konstantios III achieved 2 major goals. He destroyed the Shia Caliphate and Catholicism. Orthodoxy is restored. That was a great job of role-playing a wrathful zealot. Where does that leave the Holy Roman Empire?

Reactions:
With the Fatimids gone you're only real threat is the seljuks but in a few decades the mongols will kill them. Then the mongols will be your main problem. After the Fatimids were crippled in my game the Seljuks kinda just went into a cold war with me. I attacked them to a point but just left them with most of their land. The Ilkhanate came in and smashed the turks. They conquered clean into Poland. At one point they took a kindgom from my then liege (Empress of ERE). I took it back when they weren't paying attention. Long story short they had a doomstack of like 140k. I finally killed it with cataphracts launched from boats in a war off of the baltic coast. The Golden horde will have a good chance of going orthodox. They did in my game. From then on it's basically an orthodox christian paradise. The HRE ended up with most of Poland and bits of lithuania.

Oh and you wouldn't by any chance be educating your children to be wrathful zealots on purpose so you have an in-game justification for war would you? Because I would never ever ever ever ever do that. Maybe a little. I try to get my kiddies zealot traits every chance I get and wroth isn't so bad.

I'm going to assume that jerusalem (kingdom of) is going to be your arch-bishop tax farm.

Reactions:
Konstantios III achieved 2 major goals. He destroyed the Shia Caliphate and Catholicism. Orthodoxy is restored. That was a great job of role-playing a wrathful zealot. Where does that leave the Holy Roman Empire?

We'll see how it plays out long-term, but I'll post an extra religion map from after it all starts settling out (after two updates). It implies curious things in the future.

With the Fatimids gone you're only real threat is the seljuks but in a few decades the mongols will kill them. Then the mongols will be your main problem. After the Fatimids were crippled in my game the Seljuks kinda just went into a cold war with me. I attacked them to a point but just left them with most of their land. The Ilkhanate came in and smashed the turks. They conquered clean into Poland. At one point they took a kindgom from my then liege (Empress of ERE). I took it back when they weren't paying attention. Long story short they had a doomstack of like 140k. I finally killed it with cataphracts launched from boats in a war off of the baltic coast. The Golden horde will have a good chance of going orthodox. They did in my game. From then on it's basically an orthodox christian paradise. The HRE ended up with most of Poland and bits of lithuania.

Oh and you wouldn't by any chance be educating your children to be wrathful zealots on purpose so you have an in-game justification for war would you? Because I would never ever ever ever ever do that. Maybe a little. I try to get my kiddies zealot traits every chance I get and wroth isn't so bad.

I'm going to assume that jerusalem (kingdom of) is going to be your arch-bishop tax farm.

The Seljuks seem content to just sit there for now, so that's what they're doing. As for the Bishops, all the new conquered duchies were given to priests (it fits the zealous and non-orthodox populations). But I can't seem to give them king titles (Egypt was the only one created so far, and it got Gavelkinded away, as you can see in that last screenshot. Still in the Empire, at least).

As for education, I normally try and get boys with a high stewardship, girls with a high learning. I filter away wrong religion and culture, and look for at least one trait in common with the ruler (preferably one they've been acting on). And will often ignore people with various objectionable traits (like ambitious for any non-ruler). It makes things potentially interesting. Or not.

Reactions:
10. The Saint
This was Emperor Konstantios III. He was born in 1060 and began ruling the Empire in 1085.

10-1.png

He was well known for two accomplishments:
The XRW - a campaign of wars that reclaimed the Levant and Egypt for Christiandom and drove the Fatimids into Arabia,

10-2.png

and the end of the Great Schism, after he had restored the five Patriarchs.

10-3.png

On June 2, 1112, he died and was succeded by his second son, Konstantinos XI.

10-4.png

Not long after his death, he was cannonized as a saint.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
11. The Peaceful
This was Konstantinos XI of the Empire. He ascended to the throne in 1112.

11-1.png

Kind, charitable, and craven, he spent his reign internally strengthening the Empire. His kindness led him to two immediate acts:
Many people that had languished in his father's dungeons for years were released.

11-2.png

He sought a series of reforms within the Empire that would send disputes to his courts. His vassals would no longer settle issues on the battlefield.

11-3.png

Primarily, his reign was known for the universities he founded throughout his holdings, the influx of population to baronies and church lands, the loosening of taxes on cities, and the massive increase in the size of the Cataphracts.

11-4.png

Finally, on 9 September 1163, he died and was succeeded by Konstantinos XII, his third son.

11-5.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
11a. Interlude: Religious Map
I promised a religion map. This is what Europe looks like 50 years after the Great Schism has ended.

11.5-1.png

I think it's portentous of things to come, though I'm not entirely sure how it'll all shake out. Also, I think it's clear why I'm not too upset at the way 1.08 nerfed the Imperial Reconquest CB. Holy wars work just as well on the whole.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Seljuks seem content to just sit there for now, so that's what they're doing. As for the Bishops, all the new conquered duchies were given to priests (it fits the zealous and non-orthodox populations). But I can't seem to give them king titles (Egypt was the only one created so far, and it got Gavelkinded away, as you can see in that last screenshot. Still in the Empire, at least).

I don't think the Seljuks did anything to me or the Empire after the initial set of Jihads. They're really on the decline if you can survive those. You can't give kingdoms to bishops and they can't normally have king tier titles. Under certain and gamey conditions you can get a bishop with a king title. Usually it's when you make a bishop out of someone that has a claim on a kingdom. I've given money and extra duchies to bishops before and they don't seem to make the titles by themselves.

As for education, I normally try and get boys with a high stewardship, girls with a high learning. I filter away wrong religion and culture, and look for at least one trait in common with the ruler (preferably one they've been acting on). And will often ignore people with various objectionable traits (like ambitious for any non-ruler). It makes things potentially interesting. Or not.

You might look for the genius trait. There's a decent chance children of geniuses get the trait too. If you can consistently get a genius wife and run elective, you can keep a genius on the throne more often than not.

Reactions:
You might look for the genius trait. There's a decent chance children of geniuses get the trait too. If you can consistently get a genius wife and run elective, you can keep a genius on the throne more often than not.

I did that playing Savoy once. Out of my first 10 rulers, 8 were geniuses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good AAR you've got going here.:) Subscribed.

Reactions:
This seems good. Continue this or suffer my zealous holy wrath!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't think the Seljuks did anything to me or the Empire after the initial set of Jihads. They're really on the decline if you can survive those. You can't give kingdoms to bishops and they can't normally have king tier titles. Under certain and gamey conditions you can get a bishop with a king title. Usually it's when you make a bishop out of someone that has a claim on a kingdom. I've given money and extra duchies to bishops before and they don't seem to make the titles by themselves.

It's good to have my observations confirmed.

I did that playing Savoy once. Out of my first 10 rulers, 8 were geniuses.

Konstantios XII is a genius married to a genius. But there are complications, as you'll soon see.

Good AAR you've got going here.:) Subscribed.

Glad to have you on board!

This seems good. Continue this or suffer my zealous holy wrath!

No worries, it continues. But I've eaten through my in-game buffer. We are in real time now.

Reactions:
12. The Egyptian Rebellion
This was Konstantinos XII of the Empire. He ascended to the throne in 1163.

12-1.png

Greedy and zealous, he was eager to expand his holdings, especially at the expense of heretics and heathens. He began his reign by raising taxes on cities.

12-2.png

A swift war against Croatia followed. The county of Hum was quickly seized.

And then, while the Cataphracts were in transport to the Italian peninsula, Komitas I, the Despot of Egypt, demanded independence. Konstantios refused such an absurd claim, and soon the despot declared war. The dukes of Antioch and Latium joined him.

12-3.png

The forces and lands of the duke of Antioch were swiftly overrun. Half of Sinai was conquered, and an Egyptian army forced back, then pursued deep into Egyptian territory.

Now, during the reign of Konstantios XI, the Kings of Egypt had conquered several northern Italian lands. While a third imperial army was besieging the lands of the Duke of Laitum, Komitas raised an army large enough to smash the imperial one in Italy, plus a second that besieged Constantinople. The imperial army redeployed via sea and moved to defend Constantinople. Soon, tens of thousands of men were fighting before the City of Man's Desire. The Egyptian army was driven back, pursued, completely scattered.

But news came of a large fleet sailing up the Aegean sea. The imperial army moved across the sea of Marmara to Kyzikos, where they waited for reports of the force they would soon face. Soon enough they heard. The new Egyptian army was half again their size. The larger of the armies in Antioch sailed back. The combined imperial armies smashed the Egyptian army, fifty thousand men fighting before the Golden Gate. Again the Egyptian army was driven back. One imperial army pursued them, the other set sail for Italy, to see what could be done.

12-4.png

The army in Italy saw that the Egyptian army was towards the south, and somewhat larger. So they began sieging holdings in the north. Meanwhile, the army in Greece pursued and completely defeated the Egyptian army there. They noted the passing of a third (much smaller) fleet in the Aegean, and began beating back a third attack on Constantinople. The third attack, merely 500 men, was beaten back. The army set sail for Egypt.

The army in Italy received word that the Egyptian army had begun marching in their direction. They continued sieging holdings, while preparing to use their fleet to maneuver around the approaching army. They now had the numerical edge, but thought to take advantage of the opportunity to reclaim lost holdings.

12-5.png

A slow dance of sieges and reseiges ensued in Italy, while the armies in Egypt swiftly conquered any holding weak enough to fall to assault. Eventually, the war was won by anyone's standard. The King of Egypt agreed to a peace where he was imprisoned. His kingdom was stripped from him, leaving him only the duchy of Pisa.

12-6.png

While the levies were sent home and the cataphracts sailed back to Constantinople, Konstantinos considered the future of the Empire and the Kingdom of Egypt. His children had perished before he took the throne, victims of a vicious sibling rivalry. And his wife was well beyond childbearing years, though he adored her still. He had no heirs, and his titles would fall to unsuitable bloodlines within his family upon his death if nothing changed.

12-7.png
12-8.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
We are in real time now, folks! This was posted just after I had played the events. I've no clue what's going to happen, and not much of a clue of what to do about the succession. All recommendations are most welcome.

Reactions:
divorce her and remarry

• 1Like
Reactions:
divorce her and remarry

Yes, the straightforward option. But he is in love with her, and I'm roleplaying my characters.

Reactions:
Who is that old guy who stands to inherit Egypt? He seems to be next in line for the Imperial Throne as well and seems to be of your close dynasty. Maybe... eliminate... the young fellow who is first?
For the sake of roleplay, have him excommunicated (since your current character is a zealot) and imprisoned (then maybe executed and/or just assassinated?)
Maybe this doesn't suit your current ruler though, since he's also honest and kind...

Oh, and great AAR. I like to see maps and other visuals, not just a wall of text, so this tale is perfect for me. :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: