• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(48557)

Captain
Sep 13, 2005
ire0fx.jpg

When Erin first rose from the dark-swelling flood, God blessed the green island, he saw it was good. The Emerald of Europe, it sparkled and shone In the ring of this world, the most precious stone. -William Drennan

start5hp.jpg

As the sun rose over the green hills, the city of Belfast began to slowly wake from it's slumber. And with the city, Sean Casey rose. He had a splitting headache, most likely a reminder of last night's stint at the pub. This was understandable, considering he had the unfortunate position of explaining the King's recent reforms to the astonished nobility. The recently crowned regent, King Eoghan MacNeill II, had just announced his decision to reduce the power of local lords, taking one more step towards the increased centralization of the government he had sought since his coronation. While this was well and grand for the government, Sean now had to explain it to an islands worth of angry nobleman.

cent14199xi.jpg

As he rose from his bed he turned his thoughts from his unfortunate task to an even bigger issue. During his coronation speech the king had made the promise to reclaim the city of Dublin from the invading Anglo-Saxon's. This was deemed impossible by every sane person in Ireland but the King would have none of it. As the monarch's chief advisor this put him in an awkward position, with the people screaming their discontent in one ear and the king adamantly refusing any counsel in the other. The Irish Army at present consisted of only 7000 poorly equipped drunkard celts with around 1000 shetland ponies. How this would defeat the english garrison in Meath was something the king was at a loss to explain but he had set his mind on the area.

army14190ws.jpg
The celtic people were not opposed to the idea on principle, they fervently wished to see the Emerald Isle united. They were, however, realistic in that they accepted the fact that Eire was poor, and had no allies at present. A solution, however, had been conveyed to Sean just a few days before by the king. The scottish tribes had a primal bond with Eire, they came from the same Celtic stock. They were also united by their mutual hate of the English aggressors, but isolationist factions on both sides had prevented any real union. This, however, was changed when the king announced his reforms that gave the nobility no affect on diplomacy. He was developing a growing rapport with the highland chieftain James I and his French backer, Charles VI.

He had also conveyed his interest in expanding the military and the Irish share of the world market.

And so it fell to Sean to accomplish all of these ridiculously ambitious goals with no suggestions on how to do it by the King.

"Great. At least the pubs are always open..." Sean thought to himself as he opened the door and set about his task.

I've spent the last few months reading AARs, and finally wanted to throw my hat in the ring. Since this is my first ANY kind of feedback is greatly appreciated. (Even if it's telling me I have less talent than William Hung) This AAR will go from EU2 to Vic to HOI2 using the saved game converters.

For my dad, who immigrated here from Ireland with his family in the late '60s

Good start and always nice to read a good AAR from someone who haven't written before.

Nice start. Good luck on defeating the English. Wait for them to be busy in France and you will walk right over them (I hope ;) ).

Lurken: Thank you! Now, lets just hope my horrible gaming skills don't put an end to it! *is conquered by the Navajo* (That always happens to me!) :D

Duke of Wellington: I absolutely love your Horde AAR! Thank you for your encouragement :)

EvilSanta: The Irish Navy will rule the seas with massed fleets of transports! But on a serious note, by 1940 I hope to have a world class fleet. (Complete with pubs open 24/7, no less!)

Grundius: Hehe, we shall see how that goes in the next update, coming later today.

Very promising. I like AARs that go from game to game, a shame there aren't a lot of those around...

Bah! you have less talent than William Hung... ;)

Only joking, realy nice start for your first AAR... nice to se you go with a uncommon (in AAR Land anyway) nation like Eire, good luck taking on the English.

Sir C.

A Bittersweet Victory
Part One

Exactly five months to the day after the king announced his reforms, Eoghan let word spread of a major royal announcement to be made later today at the castle gates. Sean already knew the meaning of the event, seeing as how he had brokered the very thing it was announcing himself. He still had a shaky feeling about the whole process. Things were moving too quickly and Eire was not prepared for when they arrived at the destination. But all he could do was sigh. Events had been set in motion that could not be undone, and all he could do was offer his counsel and hope for the best.

And so the people of Belfast gathered around the castle's entrance, not a single one of them having any idea as to what the king intended. As he emerged from the steps and onto the castle wall he looked, put simply, like an image of lore. In a shocking decision the king had returned to the celtic past, wearing only cloth trousers, dying himself blue with woad, and spiking his hair with lime. At first the people were disturbed. Had our king become a barbarian? And then they realized. He was the celts. Everything they embodied stood before them.

And after the crowds quieted, he announced it. A grand alliance between the Irish, their Scottish brethren, and France and her vassals. With this, Eire joined the war against the ravenous english. As John I and Charles the VI emerged onto the wall the crowds erupted into cheering.

ally14199bs.jpg

The king made one last announcement. "An hour of wolves is at hand. How we will fair in this endeavor remains to be seen, but the Celtic spirit burns brighter than any army the english can muster." And with that he receeded. To do what, Sean knew not. The task now fell to him to mobilize the celtic armies and prepare for the march on Meath, and ultimately the crown jewel. Dublin.

"And so it begins" He thought, as he returned to the warmth of his cloak's hood and quickly left for the army's headquarters.

Last edited:
das: Thanks for the support. Check out SirClive's Dreams of Albion, it's great. (Even if it's full of stinking limey oppressors! :p )

Duke of Wellington: Once I (hopefully) secure the isle all I will say is that Eire's population is a little "lacking" :)

SirCliveWolfe: I happen to think William Hung is the second greatest musical artist of all time, (Next to Hasselhoff of course!) so thank you! ;)

The idea stemmed from crushing the "Dreams of Albion" muahahaha :p (Only joking!)

Duke of Wellington: Will we see an appearance by Rome Total War British head-hurlers? :eek:

Really nice update... but that King of yours is rarther starting to worry me I hope Sean can handle him :D

GBIT said:
das: Thanks for the support. Check out SirClive's Dreams of Albion, it's great. (Even if it's full of stinking limey oppressors! :p )

Well thank you very much my good Sir.... [bitterTasteInMouth] Now go kick some English ass with the help of those [evenMoreBitterTasteInMouth] really nice Frenchies [/evenMoreBitterTasteInMouth] and Scotts [/bitterTasteInMouth]... oh yeah and make sure you kill York. :D ;)

GBIT said:
SirCliveWolfe: I happen to think William Hung is the second greatest musical artist of all time, (Next to Hasselhoff of course!) so thank you! ;)

Well obviously, I did mean it as a great compliment... continue as you have and you'll be getting to the much vaunted 'hasselhoff class' soon. :D :p

GBIT said:
The idea stemmed from crushing the "Dreams of Albion" muahahaha :p (Only joking!)

Why you little... :mad: ;)

A Bittersweet Victory
Part Two

As Sean approached the army headquarters he began to have more and more doubts about the celt's ability to throw the english into the sea. While the irish outnumbered the english two to one, not only were the english entrenched but their equipment and training was of a higher quality. But what they lacked in equipment and training they more than made up for in their undying ferocity. He hoped.

"Ah well, perhaps even more boys can be conscripted?" he wondered as he entered the dank headquarters. The building was nothing more than a tiny stone room tucked into a side building off the main castle.

He was greeted by Lord Mulcahy, the noble charged with maintaining the army. Preferring not to waste any time on pleasantries they immediately began their work. Of the many issues discussed the most important was when the army would be ready to move for Dublin, and once they encountered the garrison there how to deal with it. According to Lord Mulcahy the army would be ready to move in about three days if there weren't any new units created.

As they were beginning to discuss a battle plan Mr. Costello, the royal courier, burst into the room.

"Sirs! A courier has just arrived from Edinburgh for King James. The english forces sieging the Grampians have been routed! The Scots are marching on Northumberland!"

With that he hastily left, undoubtedly to inform more members of the court.

Sean was the first to speak. "This changes everything." He had hatched a plan. A plan that would lead Eire to victory.

Just started reading and this is good. Seems the Scots are already proving their worth as alliance partners. But however in the world did you get into an alliance like that? Normally the AI won't accept more than five if that sixth is the human player. Well done, regardless. That's the perfect alliance to beat the English with.