• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update... good to see the scotts seeing off the English like that. :)

Farquharson: Thanks. :) I have full faith in the celtic spirit!

EvilSanta: Hmm, a union bewteen Finland and Ireland...impossible? Or an unstoppable force unlike any the world has ever seen? (Provided of course there's enough ale for all!) :D

Duke of Wellington: Hehe. I have the next three days off and my updates are never very long so expect many more :)

coz1: Thanks a ton. Always glad to have a new reader!

If I'm not mistaken I think vassals of the leader don't count or somesuch.

Saulta: Everyone loves the Irish!

SirCliveWolfe: But will it last?! *shifty eyes*

Writing another update as one of my games patches :D

A Bittersweet Victory
Part Three

When Sean entered the throne room he realized his error. The one small fact he had not considered that would put an end to his plan before it ever got off the ground. Had he simply waited a day, James and Charles would have been on their way back to their respective realms. But this was not the case. He had been so eager to share his ideas with the regent he had overlooked the gaping hole in his course of action.

The French and Scots would never allow it.

And so with a sinking feeling in his stomach he approached some of the most powerful men in the world. James and Charles were already annoyed to begin with, having anticipated being halfway back to their dominions by now. But Eoghan had adamantly insisted on having his new allies there when his chief advisor laid out his new strategy.

James was through with waiting. "Well, get on with it, laddy."

He sighed, and uttered the two dreadful words. "We wait."

Eoghan looked like he was going to die of embarrassment. Had the person with the position implying he was the wisest man in the land just told the kings of France and Scotland that Eire should sit out the war after just entering it? Finally after several seconds of silence he had to ask "What do ye mean, Mr. Casey?

"Well, at least I haven't been arrested" Sean thought as he gave a sigh of relief. At least he would get a chance to explain himself.

"Lord Mulcahy has informed me that King Henry moved four thousand more men into Meath prior to your announcement. He withheld the information for fear of overshadowing your event. With that amount of troops we will be unable to defeat the english. But, there is a ray of hope. In the form of the scottish reversal." He nodded to James, who was happy to have his land praised. Perhaps he was placated for now. "If we wait a short while the english may reduce their troop levels for fear of the Scots overrunning their northern border. They would rather lose part of eire than anglia itself."

After Sean finished laying out his reason for coming to such a strange conclusion there was a period of intense silence. It was unclear who would speak first and what tone their voice would contain. Charles broke the silence. "So you would have the the french and scottish die in battle while the celts wait until they can safely claim a spoil of war?" He looked semi-disgusted.

"Absolutely not, my lord. After we have removed the threat of invasion into our homeland we may provide our troops on other fronts to assist the allies who allowed us to reclaim our island."

"Hrmph. So be it." And with that Charles hastily turned and exited the building. James was not far behind.

Sean let out a deep sigh of relief. "By god, where's the nearest pub...?" was his last thought before he fainted.

What is it with Sean and his pub? :D

Nice update... nice to see sense ruling over 'honour' for a change :)

Is the tech gap between England and Ireland really that big? I thought you had 7000 men. As long as the English are not a CRT ahead, surely you can defeat 4000 of their men? You may have to buy reinforcements for the siege, though.

SirCliveWolfe: Have you not learned? Every event in history can be traced to someone looking for the nearest pub! :p

BBBD: Ah, another irishman! Great to have another reader, especially a celt! :)

Grundius: No, there was 3000 men in Meath prior to the 4000 that just arrived, totalling 7000. They are one land tech above me so even numbers but lower tech = bad news

Saulta and Duke of Wellington: I certainly hope I won't disappoint. Though who knows, I could have some brain tumor that's tapping into the writing part of my brain and then it will die and I will write at a third grade level. (Worst case scenario! :D )

More updates today!

A Bittersweet Victory
Part Four

A month passed and still the English had not withdrawn troops from Meath. That was, until the english forces attempting to break the siege on Northumberland were broken themselves by the valiant Scots. The english realized they could not win a three front war. And so now came the time to prioritize.

First and foremost they would need to stop the scots from advancing any further into Anglia. Given the size of the Highland Army this would require the bulk of the english forces. And so finally the choice came to rest with King Henry. France, or Eire? The king was not a shortsighted man. He knew that Eire was poor and it's people rebellious. Reluctantly, he gave the order. ALL english forces located in Meath, minus a token garrison of 2000 men, were to board ships waiting in Dublin for immediate redeployment to the French and Scottish theaters.

A celtic scout had been waiting in the hills above dublin with orders to watch the harbor for any such movement. He was the first to see the men boarding the transports.

He made haste for Belfast. Eire's time had come.

A Bittersweet Victory
Part Five

Sean was conferring with Lord Mulcahy over the state of the navy when it happened.

In an all too familiar scene a man burst through the door. Except, this was not Mr. Costello. The king himself had come to inform his advisors of the what had transpired.

"My lord! What brings you here at such a queer hour?" Mulcahy's concern was understandable, it was after midnight.

"The hour of our destiny is at hand, my friends! The english have withdrawn! Soon, we will reclaim our homeland!" After almost yelling his news he ran off into the night.

Sean immediately went to work. "When can the armies march?"

"Tomorrow, sir! We have had the entire force on alert since the announcement of the alliance!" He failed to hide his obvious excitement from Sean. "My grandfather moved to belfast from dublin when the english invaded. 'twas his dream to see the emerald isle united once again." Responding to the puzzled stare.

"Well then, perhaps when we are through we shall drink. To yer grandfather."

"Nay, to Eire." Mulcahy solemnly added.

Sean nodded in agreement.

The two men were too involved in planning the march on Meath to notice that their monarch appeared to be teetering on the brink of insanity...

Probably because tettering on the brink of insanity is a normal mental state for most Irishmen :rofl:

Glad to see that your gamble paid off, no point wasting soldiers

GBIT said:
Soon, we will reclaim our homeland!" After almost yelling his news he ran off into the night

Hooray, advance the Irish :D

GBIT said:
"Well then, perhaps when we are through we shall drink. To yer grandfather."

"Nay, to Eire." Mulcahy solemnly added.

Wise words, "To Eire"

BBBD said:
Probably because tettering on the brink of insanity is a normal mental state for most Irishmen
:rofl:

GBIT said:
SirCliveWolfe: Have you not learned? Every event in history can be traced to someone looking for the nearest pub! :p

Ah! so you are from the Pub-history school then. ;)

Personally I come from the everyones-a-gready-git-looking-for-as-much-money-as-posible-history school. :D

Great updates, but will you be able to break the less numerous English or will it be an Irish Rorke's Drift!? :p

First of all, great AAR - hope you annihilate that British occupation force. Up with Guinness! (And Eire too, I suppose... :p )

SirCliveWolfe said:
Great updates, but will you be able to break the less numerous English or will it be an Irish Rorke's Drift!? :p

I doubt the English will be able to manage a Rorke's Drift without firearms - only one tech level isn't much of an advantage, though I suppose morale counts for a lot.

On another tangent, I live in Natal, and I've been to the Isandhlawana battlefield and Rorke's Drift... it's a lot more real when you see just how small an area the British were defending, and with so little fortification. Those soldiers most definately deserved the Victoria Crosses they were awarded.

Uh-oh...insanity is going to stall you in uniting the Isle, methinks. Hopefully it's only temporary.

So is it too early to shout; UPDATE!!

draik said:
I doubt the English will be able to manage a Rorke's Drift without firearms - only one tech level isn't much of an advantage, though I suppose morale counts for a lot.

Mo I don't think so really either, a glorious victory for Irealnd I presume :)

draik said:
On another tangent, I live in Natal, and I've been to the Isandhlawana battlefield and Rorke's Drift... it's a lot more real when you see just how small an area the British were defending, and with so little fortification. Those soldiers most definately deserved the Victoria Crosses they were awarded.

Yeah... I've been to South Africa before, but always the west, I would love to go and see it. Apparently one of my ancestors died as Isandhlawana, it would be lovley to see the field. One of the many things I want to do. :)

Argh... :(

I guess I'll just put this simply: While my father was driving me to BestBuy the day after my last update our car was slammed from the side. Specifically hitting the passenger side, where I was sitting. The collision was not "high speed" by any means but nontheless my leg and the lower half of my thigh was hit. Despite multiple fractures I'm mostly fine but my parents won't let me use the computer for another week. (Supposedly the ergonomics are horrible for my situation) They fell asleep a while ago so I came on to check my emails etc...and thought I owed you guys an explanation!

Sorry for the delay, I'll be back to the story in a week or so.

(I hate my parents so much right now) :rofl: