• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There can never be too much coffee. I've had four mugs already this morning.... (I wonder why I can't sit still and my hands are shaking?!)

And now we know the answer: 'twas the earthquake. :p

Anyway, looks like Harry will have to make do with a little less coffee. Maybe he can score some fine Arabica instead, while BY is not looking?

Maybe they won a Nobel Prize for finding a cure for Harry's Common Hangover? That would certainly be worth rewarding...

It's good to see that Venezuela remains a cultural powerhouse - even if your military might is somewhat lacking (and lacking gas masks, to be precise).

I liked the email exchange between Gabi and Harry - not being able to find ice at the North Pole must have taken some major skill, even for one as skilled as Gabe. :)

And finally, Russia has been sphered by Astarte? The ignomy... Actually, it kinda fits with earlier history, in which Astarte was often more effective at controlling Russia than Harry. Not too sure that Harry has much reason to gloat, then.

ah, this is a character who across 2 AARs has now been drunk for 600 years ... you'd think he was beyond the hangover stage by now, but his need for ice remains an important issue and Gabi is sent to try again after an unfortunate incident in Egypt

after that military debacle I've put a bit more emphasis on military research. I'd forgotten how much gas gives a bonus against unprepared troops in Vicky.

dun dun duuuun! *whispers: watch out for the cat!*

ah, but whose side is the cat on ...

There can never be too much coffee. I've had four mugs already this morning.... (I wonder why I can't sit still and my hands are shaking?!)

I tend to agree, its a sort of essential element to my working day that I'm wondering if I can make it tax-deductible

And now we know the answer: 'twas the earthquake. :p

Anyway, looks like Harry will have to make do with a little less coffee. Maybe he can score some fine Arabica instead, while BY is not looking?

in truth, Harry's after all that nice oil that the BY is sitting on. So the fleet is being built up to quite insane levels with a view to actually winning a war.

In which Harry fails to be rewarded for being peaceful

Dramatis Personae

Harry, a bar keeper who may be knobbling visiting athletes with his coffee
Gabi, an archangel who really doesn't like the twentieth century
Rafe, another archangel not doing too well either
Astarte, an empress with a major war on her hands
Joan, a leader who listens to white cats when planning her foreign policy
Quetzalcoatl, a leader who receives conflicting advice
The Big Yin, a diety who is having problems imposing his world view

Scene 1: New York

Our IT person carries on reading. He fears something terrible will happen to the world but in the meantime most of the communication seems ... well rather trivial?

The last particularly confused him, why is Harry's cat visiting Europe.

This of course is the problem with email archives, they don't tell you everything you need to now

Scene 2: The Cabinet Office

Our plotters carry on plotting. The only problem is they do not have much of a clue how to achieve their goals.

The last election results were worrying:

The only organised potential rebel group is not exactly the one they want to back

As they debate ... the air temperature drops

the windows blow open

and the door opens

"hi there"

"oh, Senor Harold, fancy seeing you here"

"no you don't"

"what"

"no you don't fancy seeing me here ... anyway, why this plotting?"

"well, its the wars we keep on losing"

"ok, I'll reform ... I mean look at the wall, all the insults I've ignored recently"

"but, but, you can't reform, you're the d...."

"details, mere details, its the twentieth century ... free will and all that ... I promise"

"really"

"yes, yes ... now don't do anything rash"

Scene 3: The Bar

Harry is meeting with Fluffy who has just returned from Europe

"well done ... so what did you tell Joanie"

"miaouw"

"yeah, she always was one for voices ... but this sort of war ... makes me want to ... well have one of my own"

[how long will Harry keep his promise to the cabinet, will they find a rebel movement to overthrow Harry, will Gabi find any ice this time?]​

I can't believe Harry would stoop to giving his athletes performance enhancing coffee. Surely they are just motivated by above board means (like the threat of a visit from Thumper or Fluffy

On the subject of Fluffy, this has to be one of my favourite ever pieces of AAR dialogue:

"well done ... so what did you tell Joanie"

"miaouw"

I can't believe Harry would stoop to giving his athletes performance enhancing coffee. Surely they are just motivated by above board means (like the threat of a visit from Thumper or Fluffy

On the subject of Fluffy, this has to be one of my favourite ever pieces of AAR dialogue:

I concur, it's just wonderful.

it just seemed to be appropriate ... after all it mirrors most of the conversations I have with my own cats

In which Harry reaps his rewards

Dramatis Personae
Harry - a bar owner on the verge of the very big time
Big Yin - a diety heading for the Second Division
Rafe - an archangel who is passed by
Gabi - an archangel who fails to even find ice
Quetzalcoatl - a diety who seems to be much in demand
The Rurikovichs - who return to the big time only to find Harry already there
Wotan - another diety who has a tough time of it
Joan - who fuels at least one fire
Fluffy - who rather overdoes the rebellion
Thumper - who may be losing his influence

Scene 1: Harry scans the correspondence

So nice to go back to old haunts, must look them all up some day for old times sake

so much for Gross Deutchsland then? should have stuck to opera

as usual his eyes were bigger than his belly

oh I wish Gabi would loosen up, 600 years ago he was fun, innovative and now ...

at which Harry remembers the recent news

and picks up the email from Raphael

which inspires him to send another email to Gabi

.... a little while later he reads this tragic news

Scene 2: The Parliament

Harry, flanked by fluffy and thumper has called the plotters together

"look you are not going to get rid of me ... anyway why do you want to"

"well Senor Harold its these wars you start"

"and then escalate"

Harry sighs ... he either sets Thumper on them, or tries to explain things. He glances at Thumper

and decides to explain.

"So lets review that war, Mexico now belongs to us"

"The Yankees are all weakened by their infighting ... I asked Fluffy to set off a small revolt in the UCSA"

Harry glances at the note:

Looks angrily at Fluffy ... "I said a small revolt [1]"

"when thats over, they will out of the CSA sphere ... and in ours"

"we can then invade North America"

"Right ... I'm off"

Scene 3: More diplomatic action

Harry arrives back at the bar after the meeting and checks his in-box

and sends off a quick reply

and settles down to read the latest diplomatic reports [2]

[1] - they have no army (I destroyed it in the last war) and about 100,000 rebels including Communists, Fascists, Anarcho-Liberals and several types of nationalists
[2] - yep Harry's been on a ship building spree
[3] - I installed the latest patch just before that game play session, it does seem to have improved a few things, not least the AI's interest in gaining its war goals.

I like that picture of Thumper - does diminish his aura of menace a bit. :)

How many dreadnoughts did you have to build to jack up your military score like that? Can you now walk from Caracas to Miami simply by stepping from the deck of one ship to the next?

With less than 20 years to go, you seem to have firmly ensconced yourself as a major power, yet unable to really challenge Britain. Are you going to try to teach Astarte a lesson, or is Harry content where he is?

Speaking of Harry, allow me to share a photo I took recently. You might find it of interest (it was taken, appropriately enough, in Washington DC):

Next stop for Harry: the world's most powerful democracy? ;)

I cannot agree more, frighteningly brilliant.

Cracking stuff as always. The usual mutual insults, plotting and small scale warfare. Heartening to see Venezuela romping up the leaderboard, how she is doing so well under Harry's leadership I'm unsure. I'm even more unsure how she has managed to win so many Nobel prizes... Still, the many Nobel and Olympic victories give Harry a chance to vex everyone alongside flaunting the technological breakthroughs, which is exactly what I like to see him doing. His devious to put Central America into Venezuela's sphere so as to finally get easy access to North America is very promising. Harry, master of all America, a worrisome yet intriguing prospect.

I like that picture of Thumper - does diminish his aura of menace a bit. :)

How many dreadnoughts did you have to build to jack up your military score like that? Can you now walk from Caracas to Miami simply by stepping from the deck of one ship to the next?

With less than 20 years to go, you seem to have firmly ensconced yourself as a major power, yet unable to really challenge Britain. Are you going to try to teach Astarte a lesson, or is Harry content where he is?

Speaking of Harry, allow me to share a photo I took recently. You might find it of interest (it was taken, appropriately enough, in Washington DC):

Next stop for Harry: the world's most powerful democracy? ;)

I do try to extend the franchise northwards, but its near impossible to generate the sort of warscore that makes any real difference (as the next post vaguely hints at). Since I can't really take on N America I can't see how I can harm the UK - I can, I think, win the war easy enough, but not to actually take anything (or impose the cut down to size war aim).

I cannot agree more, frighteningly brilliant.

Cracking stuff as always. The usual mutual insults, plotting and small scale warfare. Heartening to see Venezuela romping up the leaderboard, how she is doing so well under Harry's leadership I'm unsure. I'm even more unsure how she has managed to win so many Nobel prizes... Still, the many Nobel and Olympic victories give Harry a chance to vex everyone alongside flaunting the technological breakthroughs, which is exactly what I like to see him doing. His devious to put Central America into Venezuela's sphere so as to finally get easy access to North America is very promising. Harry, master of all America, a worrisome yet intriguing prospect.

I did feel as if I was channeling Kissinger by getting the Nobel Peace Prize ... anyway the next post skirts around a damn big war (see no sense in going into the details) that may (or may not) end Harry's larger ambitions in taking control of both Americas

In which Harry's plans go north

Dramatis Personae:

Harry – a frustrated bar owner whose dream of extending his franchise fail
Micky – ends up a little diminished but feeling a lot better
Gabi – who is seeking revenge from beyond the ice cap?
A crocodile – who goes the way of all the others
Fluffy – fails despite his new tank
Quetzalcoatl – many people want to be his friend
Big Yin – is back ... & very very angry
Astarte – seems to have lost control

Scene 1: The Bar

Harry is NOT happy

Harry is bored and depressed

despite all the ongoing diplomatic insults

despite the fun new war he started

well actually because of it

even despite the big battles

despite invading New York

despite seeing Astarte's problems

all this is offset by worries as to what Gabi is up to

and being forced to make peace

depressed at seeing the BY back (never could trust a Rurikovich)

But he cheers up .... as a Demon runs in

'sire, sire ... we've just ... err ... just seen this'

Maybe he can yet have some fun

Well, at least that particular crocodile has not been turned into a handbag yet... It looks alive (in fact, it looks a lot like it received some attention from the late Steve Irwin). That has to count for something.

So, the British communists decided to try to build their utopia in Western Africa? Not the first place I'd have in mind - maybe they have an early lead on the phenomenon of blood diamonds?

Finally broke down and looked up 'Big Yin' on Wikipedia... I had not expected to be redirected to Billy Connolly's entry. I will have to revise my image of the Ruler of the Pearly Gates. :p

Fluffy in a tank! I look forward to more of that when the BY gets his comeuppance.

Well, at least that particular crocodile has not been turned into a handbag yet... It looks alive

Its a long way to swim home from there. Bearing in mind the survival rate of Harry's crocodiles (worse than a Rurikovich Marshal) I might just lie low in Florida if I was him. Enjoy the sun. Eat a few tourists.

As ever, interesting stuff. Worrying stuff too, the Big Yin seems on the rise and Harry seems...well...uhm...very much like Harry. As I said, worrying stuff.

Well, at least that particular crocodile has not been turned into a handbag yet... It looks alive (in fact, it looks a lot like it received some attention from the late Steve Irwin). That has to count for something.

So, the British communists decided to try to build their utopia in Western Africa? Not the first place I'd have in mind - maybe they have an early lead on the phenomenon of blood diamonds?

Finally broke down and looked up 'Big Yin' on Wikipedia... I had not expected to be redirected to Billy Connolly's entry. I will have to revise my image of the Ruler of the Pearly Gates. :p

most of the British empire outside the UK is full of Communist rebels ... I think as they are not nationalists, they just sit there occupying the province for ever with no further events - its not going well for Astarte (& things get worse in the next post)

ah, so you too now know about the alternate Govan-based version of the last supper ... it is a bit different to the conventional one.

Fluffy in a tank! I look forward to more of that when the BY gets his comeuppance.

Its a long way to swim home from there. Bearing in mind the survival rate of Harry's crocodiles (worse than a Rurikovich Marshal) I might just lie low in Florida if I was him. Enjoy the sun. Eat a few tourists.

I'm not sure that all my carefully built tanks make that much difference actually, I'm still not good enough (or attentive enough) to the combat side of V2 to actually win very many battles ... but the crocodile manages one very tasty snack in the next post

As ever, interesting stuff. Worrying stuff too, the Big Yin seems on the rise and Harry seems...well...uhm...very much like Harry. As I said, worrying stuff.

Well the BY's rise was merely the prelude to a very surprisingly dramatic fall ... perchance not good news for the world as Harry bumbles his way to 1936 ...

In which the top table is re-arranged

Dramatis Personae

Harry - a simple bar owner who keeps on being disturbed
The Big Yin - who feels very unappreciated by everyone else
Rafe - being courted by the two most powerful women in Europe (pity he's the Pope)
Astarte - An Empress on the slide
Joannie - A leader on the up
The Queen Mother - has given up looking after her peaches [1] to intervene in the world
Quetzalcoatl - a diety who is the focus of much unwanted attention

Scene 1: The Bar

Harry is, yet again, bored. Someone was foolish enough to ask him to read the annual economic report:

Being bored, his attention wanders and he decides its time to check a few emails, and he realises he's missed one fun party:

whow, that last get together [2] was fun, wish I'd gone

I do wish I'd gone, sounds like a really good party

No, no way, last time she was here, half the continent was burnt down

yep, it must have been one hell of a party, wonder how soon before they both realise that Rafe doesn't do that sort of thing?

ho, ho, someones in a right strop, I mean, storming out like that just when things are getting interesting too.

Scene 2: Mexico City

The local diplomatic wall is full of conflicting messages, Quetzie is getting rather fed up with them all

and then suddenly changes his mind:

[1] - The Queen Mother of the West is a Chinese diety located somewhere in Central Asia who is associated, for some reason, with peaches (or with apples in other sources)
[2] ... and, according to the same source, her Palace is a sort of celestial transit room where different dieties and mortals interact (I think I've just identified a theme for a future AAR)

The combination of Joanie and matches brings a combined smile-at-funny/wince-at-inappropriate grimace to the face (even without knowing your pyromaniac romp in Wars in America). She in particular ought to be careful with the matches...

When you first mentioned the Queen Mother, I was picturing the late Queen Mum chasing Astarte out of Buckingham Palace with her handbag (with an old-fashioned iron hidden inside). This one isn't quite as funny, but having a Chinese deity in the mix should keep things interesting, now that Big Yin has skulked off the stage again. For all his big talk, he doesn't seem to have the staying power to compete with the other deities and demons.

The combination of Joanie and matches brings a combined smile-at-funny/wince-at-inappropriate grimace to the face (even without knowing your pyromaniac romp in Wars in America). She in particular ought to be careful with the matches...

When you first mentioned the Queen Mother, I was picturing the late Queen Mum chasing Astarte out of Buckingham Palace with her handbag (with an old-fashioned iron hidden inside). This one isn't quite as funny, but having a Chinese deity in the mix should keep things interesting, now that Big Yin has skulked off the stage again. For all his big talk, he doesn't seem to have the staying power to compete with the other deities and demons.

aye, its always a good idea to bring events in from other AARs ... helps check who is reading carefully. But do agree about the BY, I know eternity lasts a while but to me he's too quick to opt out when things get messy ... and as usual when Harry is around, things get messy

How come CSA got anexed?!?

It must be a special war goal the USA has ... no other multi-state GP could be taken out like that, so it was a bit of a surprise just to see them wiped out completely

In which Harry feels life is not so much fun anymore

Dramatis Personae

Harry – A bar keeper who feels under-appreciated
Gabi – An Archangel who still brews a good cup of coffee
Rafe – A Pope who is desired by several women
Joanie – A French leader who is doing the desiring
Astarte – An Empress known to be rather direct with those she desires
Micky – An Archangel who had it all going his way ... for a short period

Scene 1: A inter-temporal diety conference

Astarte is chatting to Freyja

"So ... why he's into Iceland all of sudden ... thought that was more your sort of place?"

"Well rumour around town has it he's fed up and looking for a place to store all the souls he's collected while planning his next venture"

"You see his last war with Micky was going well ... at least he thought it was, he was down on the beach playing with his new crocodile"

"And he got arrested .. it seems the humans wanted to make peace"

"... but what about fluffy and thumper"

"ah well Fluffy was off at the wars ...

and they'd already dealt with Thumper"

"Ah .. yes, he has been losing it recently ... I mean he was sending emails to the Queen Mother but using my address ..."

"Oh and have you heard ... Gabi was asking to be let back in"

"No"

"Yes, well he did want to win some more Olympic medals"

"Oh there's Rafe, excuse me ... Rafe ... Raf, dearest ... don't be shy ...."

Scene 2: Somewhere in Iceland

Harry is bored and confused, so he checks his map of North America .... and chuckles

time to fire off some emails.

Scene 3: The Bar, Harry wanders in

"Hi I'm home and boy do I feel better"

picks up Gabi's latest email and sighs

picks up the election results and realises he's still stuck with the same old bunch

"oh ... I feel all depressed again"