• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder if the Native Americans might, perhaps, influence European events once more, as the mighty Aztecs did... but hopefully more peacefully and less human sacrificially...

Meanwhile, my perplexing factories sitting empty while my clerks and craftsmen are also unemployed...

ZNKRzRJ.png

Meanwhile, my perplexing factories sitting empty while my clerks and craftsmen are also unemployed...

ZNKRzRJ.png
One thing which leaps out is the lack of craftsmen in the regions where you have the factories. I’m not sure whether there’s a means to encourage inter-regional migration or not, but the alternative is to build factories where you have the workers. (And you’ll need more than 250 craftsmen.)

One thing which leaps out is the lack of craftsmen in the regions where you have the factories. I’m not sure whether there’s a means to encourage inter-regional migration or not, but the alternative is to build factories where you have the workers. (And you’ll need more than 250 craftsmen.)

I"ll try that!

More weird jankiness going on, too -- suddenly in all of my saved games, whether my most recent save or the very first bookmark, all international relations have been reset -- alliances, puppets, etc.. And in-game, all of the Great Powers are classified as "Secondary Powers" despite being on the Great Powers list... This playthrough is going to end up being held together with duct tape, I think....

So now all of my saves have become completely unstable and crash as soon as I unpause or shortly thereafter.... I'm winning :eek: I'm only a couple years in at this point so I'm just going to restart the campaign.... I will use tag swaps and console commands as much as is needed to duplicate the events we've had so far. that said, there may be a short delay before the next post...

I promise this won't self destruct too badly :oops:

good luck getting on top of this! Will be worth it when you’re back up and running, take all the time you need. :)

Well I should have seen that coming, but I didn't.

good luck getting on top of this! Will be worth it when you’re back up and running, take all the time you need. :)

Thanks! I'm doing some testing but it looks like with a minimal amount of work, I should be able to get this reproduced and working just fine.

Happy to report I've been able to (mostly) fix functionality and restore the playthrough!

I wasn't able to stop the broken culture in America from happening (@Idhrendur this might be something to look at in the converter modding process?) But I've gotten back to where I was previously and can safely continue working ^^

The EU4 to Vic2 crew (@Zemurin) have done a bunch of changes in the last few months, particularly in regards to cultures and the like. It might be worth doing a new conversion just to try and pick up the fixes and improvements. A tool like Beyond Compare can pretty handily show you what's changed and help you merge it in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The EU4 to Vic2 crew (@Zemurin) have done a bunch of changes in the last few months, particularly in regards to cultures and the like. It might be worth doing a new conversion just to try and pick up the fixes and improvements. A tool like Beyond Compare can pretty handily show you what's changed and help you merge it in.

Basically, for whatever reason, the USA and Canada are having POPs lose their culture/religion string. If I open the savegame, where it should say culture=religion, there's just nothing there, like it removed them for some reason. Not entirely sure why, but it doesn't seem to be breaking my playthrough in any noticeable way, so it's really just a minor eyesore for my OCD lol. The converter in general is working fantastic!

This reminds me a lot of the Baltic Lightning campaign a few years back - though that was Livonia, not Estonia...

Looking good so far, I'll follow along!
Yes, Baltic Lightning was a great great journey. Actually iirc they started within a few months of each other, but this one has been at somewhat slower burn.

1836-1839 AD, Part Three
NXhxOaK.png

The American Revolution - A Coalition for Freedom
After years of planning, Blackfeather's Rebellion began in October of 1836 with a series of simultaneous coordinated assaults on known Celtic strongholds. Tribal militia, armed with weapons bought and smuggled by Canadian Cree John Blackfeather, rose up and attacked local police and garrison forces in a series of strikes with mixed results. At the same time, many local governments, led almost entirely by Native Americans delegated with leadership by the empire, declared their towns and states for the new free American state in the largest revolt by any colonial nation in world history.

13ptm5B.png

Celtic-American General Brennan Mac Raith, commanding the professional infantry of his 3rd Colonial Garrison, was successful in defeating the largest concentration of Celtic troops in North America in Pennsylvania and New York. After pretending to flee from rebel assaults, Mac Raith's turncoats assaulted their former comrades at extreme close range, overrunning their fortresses and killing or capturing thousands of loyalist soldiers.

This initial victory was a crucial success. Militarily, it showed that the United States had the strength to fight back against Dublin. Mac Raith's regiment was comprised almost entirely of Native American soldiers professionally drilled and previously employed by the Celtic Empire, and their ability to secure the northeast demonstrated that they could fight head-on against the empire's main regiments and win. It also boosted the morale of the revolutionaries, as seeing the two largest garrisons in the country overthrown in the opening weeks of the war lit a fire under the rest of the movement's supporters.

However, Mac Raith's success came as several other efforts failed. The Celtic Empire also had a strong presence in the south, and an attempted uprising by Native American militia forces was crushed with stunning brutality in Alabama. The southern forces comprised the 2nd Colonial Garrison under the command of Niall O'Cleirigh, legendary for his military efficiency and his harsh martial discipline. O'Cleirigh, like Mac Raith, was a Celtic American man commanding a force made up of a majority of Native Americans, though his army did contain a considerably larger proportion of Celtic American soldiers as well. The well-decorated General made an early example of his rebel opponents, executing many of them in front of his entire regiment, and sending some captives back to Dublin where they would be imprisoned and executed for treason under the personal supervision of Empress Ciara.

The beginning of the war, then, resulted in a secure rebel presence in the northern American states, while the south remained firmly in the hands of loyalists. This created a problem for the rebel forces, as they were vulnerable to a simultaneous attack by reinforcements marching up from Alabama and also coming down from Celtic Canada -- an issue that was resolved a few months after the war began.

mJv0ld3.png

The success of the American Revolution's first battles in the northeast had not gone unnoticed in Canada, and encouraged anti-Irish movements there to become more bold. Seeking to gain new allies and to secure his soldiers' northern flank, John Blackfeather traveled to Canada in the spring of 1837. There, he met with a council resistance leaders, pro-independence government officials, and representatives from the leadership of Canada's most populace native tribes. At the head of the delegation was Kanti Maskwa, a cautious and calculating woman whose skepticism for the potential success of the revolution stood as a major obstacle to any negotiations. In spite of her hesitant attitude, she nevertheless found common ground with Blackfeather, as she represented the Cree tribe, from which his family had descended.

Maskwa recognized that Canada's military forces exceeded those of the current rebels, and that it was likely that an extended war would require Canadian troops to take on the lion's share of the burden of fighting against Celtic reinforcements. She was willing to help Blackfeather and Mac Raith fight the imperial army, but Canada's support would come with a price tag.

1QaNt27.png

In exchange for Canada's entry into the war of independence, Maskwa insisted on the right of Canada to form its own independent nation -- a departure from Blackfeather's request to unite both regions into a single free state. She also demanded a concession of territory along the 49th parallel, placing southern Saskatchewan under Canadian rule. While he was disappointed at failing to bring the Canadians under a united flag, Blackfeather nevertheless accepted Maskwa's demands, recognizing that the military support of Canada was essential to a successful war effort.

Abstaining from the negotiations was the small state of Newfoundland, whose almost exclusively Celtic Canadian population had broken off from the Celtic Empire and formed its own small dictatorship along the coast, steadfastly isolationist and unwilling to work with their fellow independence-seekers on the continent.

The alliance between the rebel movements of Blackfeather and Maskwa meant that the revolutionary army was growing steadily larger, though many of their forces were hastily-trained native forces that were more like a volunteer militia than a proper military regiment. Seeing his opposition grow, General O'Cleirigh petitioned Empress Ciara in the summer of 1837 for reinforcements, requesting no less than 75,000 men from the Irish homeland. Unfortunately for O'Cleirigh, the Breton peninsula was still under Andalusian occupation and the war in Europe looked to be turning against the Celts. Ciara was unable to offer her general anything more than encouragement and the promise of great rewards.

O'Cleirigh had a far smaller force, but his men boasted superior training, organization, and equipment. Man-for-man, only General Mac Raith's regiment could fight him head-on; the remaining irregulars would be unable to stand against him in an even fight. With that in mind, he resolved to meet Mac Raith's men in battle first, hoping to defeat him soundly and demoralize the remainder of the enemy. He met Mac Raith at the Battle of Roanoke, where the rebel general's men fought for three days before breaking into a retreat to the east. They fled into the dense mountains of Roanoake with O'Cleirigh's men following them, gunning down fleeing rebels as they went. But after several hours of pursuit, O'Cleirigh realized his men had fallen into a deadly trap.

The mountains of Roanaoke had been fortified by a 35,000-strong force of Canadian soldiers who had dug into the mountainside with heavy cannons. They bombarded the Celtic forces as they approached, causing O'Cleirigh to fall back to regroup his men. When he did, he found his escape route lined with Iroquois skirmishers armed with long rifles who shot at the fleeing soldiers from every direction and from high above, inflicting heavy casualties as the loyalists attempted to find a sheltered position. The Battle of Roanake went down a the most humiliating defeat of the war, and it left General O'Cleirigh's forces cut in half.

O'Cleirigh eventually fell back to Alabama where he would set up a final stand, and three separate attempts to claim his fortified position failed at the cost of many rebel American lives. But this led to a drawn-out stalemate, and without any reinforcements from Ireland, O'Cleirigh could only hold out until the inevitable defeat came. Empress Ciara eventually realized that the dire situation in Europe would not permit her to wage a proper counter-attack, and she was eventually forced to concede independence to the colonies in order to continue to protect her position at home.

On July 4, 1838, the combined rebel forces accepted General O'Cleirigh's surrender, marking the end of the American Revolution. After three years of war, the Celtic Empire's hold on North America was completely broken, and the combined efforts of the Native American tribes and Celtic-American rebels had resulted in the formation of two free republics in North America.

The war was over -- but now the two young nations would need to form proper governments and see themselves safely into this new era of independent rule.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I haven't focused much on Estonia yet, but I found the American Revolution far too interesting not to devote several chapters to. And I didn't make up that date, either -- the Celts actually surrendered on July 4!

This update was rather light on screenshots as I had to do a lot of re-tooling thanks to the crash of the previous savefiles. But now we've caught back up, a few janky things have been fixed (like Cherokee accidentally becoming Cheyenne due to a mix-up of tags) and I fixed a couple of flags for some nations... We are free and clear to cruise onward!

• 1Like
Reactions:
A complete revolution in only a short few years is quite a remarkable change to the map.

A complete revolution in only a short few years is quite a remarkable change to the map.

They really lucked out that the Celtic Empire was fighting Andalusia at the time... They never sent over so much as a single division to reinforce.

Very excited to see how the revolutionary USA will come to impact global affairs. And how about that for July 4th! :D