• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(89506)

Captain
2 Badges
Dec 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
I like making AARs with small nations and after looking through a list of the UK's colonies that it can release, the East African Union looks very promising, seeing its very close proximity to Italian East Africa and the Middle East.

Before I start making posts, I want to see if there's any interests and ideas as to how I can truly create a glorious East African Union. As of now, I was thinking of simply being a puppet of the UK but potentially I could go fully independent (start at UK, release EAU on 2nd day and grant it independence, load as EAU and use money cheat* to leave Allies alliance)

*In AARs, I never use cheats or mod the game unless it's for a specific purpose such as in this case. I would be playing with Arma 1.2 VBLV (Straight from the box patched up to 1.2)

Table of Contents

The Beginning
First Steps
Economic Development
Preparation- Belgian Congo
Operation Clean Sweep
Preparation- Portuguese Mozambique and Angola
Operation Urgent Fury
The Dissent
The Separation
A Few Months of Calm
Prelude to the Union Involvement in the War
Operation Ethiopian Dawn
Preparation- Vichy French Africa
Operation Northern Liberation- Initial Attacks
Operation Northern Liberation- Consolidation and Stabilization
Operation Northern Liberation- Breakthrough
Operation Northern Liberation- Into the Breach
Operation Northern Liberation- North African Excursion

Last edited:
Well, some advice I can give you:

- Switch IC takeover off, it ruins every AAR.
- Go crazy. Whether you opt to go all-out in Africa or you decide to engineer an amphibious landing in Eastern Canada, be sure to constantly do something (or look like you're doing something). There is nothing worse than reading "3 years passed and nothing has happened".
- Be independent, at any rate. Being a lackey is boring, but being a lackey of anything other than Axis is even more boring.

I'd rather see a realistic AAR, where you join someone's alliance, not an East-Africa alone against the World and painting it green (or whatever is your color)

Joining Axis or Comintern, maybe a third side (Japan? costum alliance?) could be nice. After liberating Africa from Allies and Italy, you should start helping your allies by opening new fronts, and liberting nations there.

Thanks for the input guys. With that said, let the AAR begin!

Intro-1.png

Just as a reference so you know what game settings I will be playing with. I will use no cheats (Only exception being playing as UK in order to release and make the East African Union independent)

The Beginning

01.png

The East African Union attained its independence on January 2nd, 1936 following months of political discussion both within the colony and the United Kingdom. The British government finally relented after realizing that the region has had a very troubled past and wished to appease the colonial population while still making it an active part of the Allied powers. The country's close proximity to colonial possessions owned by countries such as Belgium, Portugal, and Italy puts the East African Union in a ripe position to expand outwards.

02.png

One of the first acts of the newly established government was to liberalize the economy, putting more emphasis on the private sector to achieve job growth for the country. Much of the populace favored this shift in policy since small-scale, independent businesses and enterprises are at the epicenter of the East African Union industrial hub.

03.png

With still a great deal of British influence and investment, the East African Union has a great deal of technological support. Kenya Railways, one such British-run organization, has begun developing improved agricultural procedures, which will result in healthier people and an increased fertility rate. For a country as rural as the East African Union, agrichemistry is a very important process to develop and utilize.

04.png

Following the country's independence, it had a very rocky economic situation. With a small amount of industrial facilities and little to no resources to run them, it seemed as if the East African Union would be completely backwater. However, the United Kingdom made the first effort to send aid to the country. The East African Union looks forward to receiving technological blueprints in addition to resource contributions.

05.png

The first major government expenditure came in the form of the purchase and acquisition of materials needed to outfit two infantry divisions. Seeing as the British colonial forces have begun to leave the country, the East African Union government found it necessary to have an active and ready military force to both police the country and defend the borders. By the end of February, France, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, and even Canada were sending foreign aid to the East African Union in order to help the country get on its feet and develop economically.

Last edited:
Bump

Is it me or has the activity on this board really died out? It seems like a little while ago when people would comment within minutes of an AAR being made or an update being posted...

It varies. But yeah, since HoI3 no longer sucks (by virtue of expansion packs and patches) many people have migrated over to those boards (and that game). Still, there should be a fair few people reading.

Looks good so far, though now that you're free the UK has a patch of land cut off. Probably just worthless jungle, but maybe it would be better to force the UK to liberate something there as well?

Huh. Haven't been playing Hoi2 or DD/Arma for a long time now, but I still remember how great it sometimes was to take a wild choose and play as some small nation with seemingly little chances for world domination... Especially I remember how I loved to play as USSR and use dissent cheat, then just to wait that partisans would slowly declare independent nations all over the Europe and Asia... I played a great game as Transural Republic, I allied with Kazakhstan, Siberia became my rival but finally I beated them. Those were the days! Playing HoI2 all the day and posting messages written in awful English to this forum. :)

This AAR really brings some of those memories back, and especially the feeling (even though your English is far better than mine)! This will be really interesting, I hope this AAR will have a long life and East Africa will one day be as powerful as her former colonial master was!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments all.

First Steps

01.png

On April 25th, 1936, one of the few independent countries in Africa, the Empire of Ethiopia, was formally annexed by Italy following a brutal sacking of the capital of Addis Ababa. Thousands of Ethiopians crossed the border into British Sudan as well the East African Union, sparking a massive refugee crisis, souring relations between the EAU and Italy.

02.png

Following international investment in the East African Union economy, the first East African* division was created and deployed in the northeast town of Marsabit, in order to create a counterweight to the hundreds of thousands of Italian soldiers running amok in the Horn of Africa.

03.png

An issue over the question of outlawing the East African Union Fascist Party arose, a concern that is highly contentious due to the close Italian presence, which is the bastion of unbridled fascism. The government struck down in a swift and bold move and outlawed said party.

04.png

In the Iberian peninsula, a civil war rose out between the Nazi-backed Nationalists and the Communist-backed Republicans. Many Allied countries such as France and the UK refused to become involved while the opposite was true for Germany and Italy who sent troops, equipment, and money.

05.png

A few months after the establishment of the first East African Union infantry division, another unit was ready to be deployed. Once again the new recruits were sent to Marsabit.

06.png

With space cleared up for the military industries of the country, priority was put forth on the creation of equipment and implementation of engineering brigades, units which will be of the utmost importance during a quick, blitzkrieg-style war. With some industries not working at their greatest potential, an order to set up a lightly-trained militia division was put forth.

07.png

As of now, the East African Union has a few targets of opportunity at its targets. The first one that comes to mind is that of Italian East Africa. If war were to break out between Italy and the Allied Powers, there is no question that the latter group would overrun Italy's African colonies as well as decimate its comparatively insignificant navy. Portuguese Mozambique is a secondary target, seeing as it appears to be lightly defended, if at all. The main concern with it rests on the possibility that British and South African forces make take the colony without allowing any East African Union forces to make any significant occupations. The Belgian Congo has a great deal of resources at its disposal but suffers the same concern with Portuguese Mozambique. Once the East African Union's position in East Africa and possibility Central Africa is consolidated, an invasion of Saudi Arabia is a definite aspiration. This is assuming that the East African Union has either built or captured a naval port by the time of the invasion and has at least two transport flottilas in order to facilitate the invasion.

(*How do you guys think I should refer to my soldiers as? East African soldiers? Unionist soldiers? etc etc)

Unionist Soldiers is easier to say, and more awesome. That said, it makes me think of the American Civil War. I'd still go with Unionist though.

Unionist Soldiers is easier to say, and more awesome. That said, it makes me think of the American Civil War. I'd still go with Unionist though.

indeed, sounds like a nice name for them. Also intresting idea, i'm subscribed :D
Also i suggest you to join the allies and rush into italian ethiopia, then declare war on portugal XD

regards
guy montag

Or you could go the pan africanist way. Unite all africans with your africans soldiers!

TemplarComander: Yeah, the reference does seem like the Civil War but Unionist soldiers it shall be!

Kaioo: Thanks; I'm glad you enjoy it!

guy_montag: That's certainly a possibility. I'm a bit concerned about sparking the war in Europe, so whatever actions I take in Africa (at least for now), I'm doing with extra caution.

Miihkali: Agreed completely! :p

General_Hoth: That's definitely what the East African Union would want to achieve. How feasible it is....is a completely different story...

yourworstnightm: Because this is the 1930s and pretty much all of Africa was run by the Europeans? :p

Acguy: Haha, my ministers have surprisingly good traits and there's no "Shadow" ministers which is very unique, especially for a liberated African country.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Economic Development

01.png

The United Kingdom never fails to aid its weaker ally in sending technological blueprints. Although the East African Union is in no position to construct a blue water navy or a nuclear program any time in the near future, it is the thought that matters.

02.png

Both infantry units in Marsabit have been attached with engineer brigades, allowing the Unionist Army to have more effective defensive procedures as well as enabling it to march faster.

03.png

Following the development of Agrichemistry by the Kenya Railways, research into Agricultural Production by the Tanzania Railways began immediately. Because both of these railways hold huge amounts of influence in their respective provinces, the East African Union central government realized that in order to prevent malignant competition, it must give out government contracts on an on-and-off basis to both companies.

04.png

After the militia unit became a successful military unit, full industrial priority was put into building a naval port at Mombasa. The primary reason for this is that manpower is at a low point currently and there will certainly be a need in the future for amphibious assault, either at Italian Eritrea, the southern tip of Portuguese Mozambique, or Saudi Arabia.

05.png

On its New Year Address, the East African Union government made a variety of comments, stating that "our country will expand outwards; there is no question of that" and "we will obtain materials necessary to our way of life, no matter the cost". Such statements seemed to create a shift in the political positions of many legislators, seemingly forcing them to adopt a pro-military standpoint or risk losing their seat in the next election.

06.png

To the surprise of the East African Union and certainly the rest of the world, Republican Spain annexed Nationalist Spain after months of intense conflict, primarily focused around Madrid and Valencia.

07.png

One Unionist Cabinet member was officially censured by the rest of the government, notably the Parliament for advocating very unpopular positions such as normalizing relations with Italy and giving the indigenous within the country complete control of the governmental actions. (The government is now Social Conservative)

08.png

The United Kingdom does not let down its ally, giving the East African Union very pertinent technologies, especially Agricultural Production.

09.png

With construction of the first Unionist naval base completed in Mombasa, another infantry division was summoned to be established and organized.

10.png

With much research and development in agricultural efficient, the East African Union realized that upgrading the country's industries is very important. Thus, research was focused on improved machine tools which would undoubtedly increase the country's industrial efficiency.

11.png

Within days of research, both the United Kingdom and Canada voluntarily sent the EAU blueprints pertaining to improved machine tools. Such gestures will not be forgotten by the government, which is definitely seeing much prosperity due to these countries both economically and technologically.

(What should be the first area [Belgian Congo, Italian East Africa, Portuguese Mozambique] that we should attack? Because I kinda messed up on my slider and should have moved to authoritarian, I won't be able to begin the invasion until January 1938 so we do have a bit of time to plan. I expect to have another update before the actual invasion.)

(Also, as the East African Union, do you guys think we should care about what happens in Europe regarding World War II or should we just worry about taking over colonial possessions both within Africa and the Middle East. Honestly, I'm still figuring what the EAU's agenda in terms of expansion is...)

Last edited: