• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

richvh

Preserver of the Light
62 Badges
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
I am Matilda Grey, by the grace of God steward to my liege lord, Richard, Earl of Derby, vassal of the Duke of Norfolk in the Kingdom of England. My colleagues on the county council are Chancellor Matilda de Seagrave, and Marshall Drogo Neville. Also in the court is 15 year old Alberanda Neville, whom my Lord Earl has announced his intention to marry when she comes of age.

Our laws are for Semi-Salic Primogeniture, Traditional Custom, and Ecclesiastical Balance. My Lord Earl decided to change the law from Traditional Custom to Feudal Contract, despite the negative effect that it would have on the loyalty of the four estates. To counteract this loss of loyalty, he decided to slightly reduce Crown Duty, Census Tax and Tolls, and increase slightly Church Donations.

On August 10, 1066, after Alberanda came of age, my Lord Earl proposed marriage to her, which she graciously accepted, and he appointed her his Spymaster.

RichardofDerby1.jpg
Richard, Earl of Derby

Alberanda.jpg

Alberanda

Last edited:
Sweet...another AAR :) . Look forward to following this. Hopefully King William won't steal too much of your glory/spoils ;)

On September 30, 1066, a grand announcement was made at the court - Countess Alberanda was expecting a child! We all pray that it will be a healthy son.

On July 4, 1067, the Countess was delivered of a healthy baby girl, which they named Eremberga.

In October of 1067, my Lord Earl commanded the construction of a Forestry in Derby. It is expected to be completed in a year's time.

On December 19, 1067, we mourned the death of old Marshal Drogo.

On March 19, 1068, it was announced that once more the Countess was with child. Perhaps this time she will produce an heir.

Geoffrey of Derby joined our court, and was appointed Marshall.

On October 3, 1068, Chancellor Matilda announced the successful completion of the Forestry. It is expected to improve county income by one part in twenty.

Alas! On December 6, 1068, Countess Alberanda was delivered of a child, but it was stillborn She sought solace in the arms of her husband, and by January 7, 1069, was glad to announce that she was once more with child.

In August of 1069, the yeomen complained of poor harvests, due to a lack of manure. The prosperity of the county suffered as a result.

Alas! My Lord Earl has contracted some dire illness. We all pray for his speedy recovery.

On October 6, 1069, the Countess was delivered of another daughter, who was christened Adelaide.

Alas! Earl Richard passed away on January 19, 1070. He was succeeded by his distant kinsman, Rainulf, who married the dowager countess, Alberanda, on February 11, 1070. He is sore wroth with his liege lord, Ralph de Gael, Duke of Norfolk, who is trying to revoke his title to the County of Derby.

On August 27, 1070, it was announced that Countess Alberanda was once more with child..

In October 1070, a group of yeomen came to court. They announced that they had come up with a new way to raise chickens for market.

Alas! On October 24, 1070, the late Count's younger daughter, Adelaide, died of ill health. She was just over one year old.

On April 13, 1071, some craftsmen came to court and demonstrated the new scale mail they had developed.

On May 29, 1071, Countess Alberanda was delivered of another baby girl, Earl Rainulf's first and her third. She was christened Fressenda.

On July 9, 1071, it was announced that the Countess was once more with child. We pray that this time she produces an heir.

Woe unto us! Little Fressenda died on October 15, 1071. She was just 4 months old.

On April 9, 1072, the Countess presented the Earl with another daughter. She was christened Sibylla.

Chancellor Matilda announced the completion of a Training Grounds on April 26, 1072. With this, we shall be able to train our troops more rapidly.

On May 9, 1072, the Countess announced that she was expecting another child. We most fervently pray that this time it is a son.

In July of 1072, the craftsmen of Derby demonstrated their new innovation, banded mail.

Praise the lord! Countess Alberanda has presented my Lord Earl with a healthy son on this, the ninth day of February in the Year of Our Lord 1073. He shall be christened Humphrey.

RainulfofDerby1.jpg

Earl Rainulf of Derby and his court

Last edited:
Nice start! But what will you do once your narrator, the steward, dies? Just change to a different narrator? Lady Matilda seems to be getting on in years quite a bit...

Another thing that piqued my curiosity: do you have any influence on proceedings in the royal bedchamber <ahem> or is it random that they seem to make like rabbits? :rolleyes:

Stuyvesant said:
Nice start! But what will you do once your narrator, the steward, dies? Just change to a different narrator? Lady Matilda seems to be getting on in years quite a bit...

Yup.

Another thing that piqued my curiosity: do you have any influence on proceedings in the royal bedchamber <ahem> or is it random that they seem to make like rabbits? :rolleyes:

Other than choosing whether or not to indulge my passions when a comely wench catches my eye (which, depending on my choice, (a)gives me a bastard and a 25% chance of gaining the "lustful" trait, (b)gives me a 10% chance of gaining the "lustful" trait, (c)gives me a 10% chance of gaining the "chaste" trait, or (d)gives me 50 (I think) piety and a 25% chance of gaining the "chaste" trait), it's completely out of my control. (Lustful increases fertility, chaste decreases it.)

In June of 1077, traveling merchants displayed a new weapon to my Lord Earl: the Shortbow.

On April 13, 1078, the keeper of this diary, Chancellor Matilda de Seagrave, died. Earl Rainulf asked me, Alberanda de Fauconburg, to assume her post and continue this chronicle. I joined the Earl's court from the court of Muriella, Countess of Lincoln, two and a half years ago, when I married his kinsman, Marshal Geoffroy of Derby.

Another distant kinsman of my Lord Earl, Humbert of Derby, presented himself in court, showed himself to be more skilled in military affairs than my lord husband, and was appointed Marshal in his place.

In January of 1079 a traveling scholar taught our court the later fashion in philosophy, divine rights.

In April of 1080 my Lord Earl arranged for the marriage of Marshal Humbert to the spymaster of the Count of Powys, Cadwgon Cynfyn. I don't trust her; she has the reputation of being a kinslayer.

In September Humbert and Gwerfyl announced that they were expecting a child. Apparently being a mother-to-be caused her to have a change of heart, for in December Gwerfyl went on a pilgrimage to Canterbury to atone for her sins, where the archbishop absolved her of kinslaying.

Ill news arrives in March of 1081, as a malarial pestilence spreads across Derby.

On June 25, 1081, Gwerfyl delivered a daughter, who was christened Muriella.

In September Gwerfyl was afflicted by some dire illness. Let us pray that she recovers, and that none of the children catch it!

A sawmill was completed in Derby in December.

Blessed news! On December 15, Gwerfyl announced that she was with child, and on the 27th, Countess Alberanda announced that she was also expecting another child.

On August 24, 1082, Gwerfyl delivered another daughter, who was christened as Muriella. She and Humbert seem to like that name. Unfortunately, the pregnancy sapped the already ill Muriella's strength, and she died on September 15. The mourning for her was interrupted when the Countess delivered a second son on September 29. He was christened Geoffroy. My husband, his namesake, and I stood as his godparents.

Oh blessed day! The Countess announced that she is once more with child today, November 6.

In January 1083, Steward Matilda reported that Derby's prosperity has declined further due to the lack of manure for the farmers' fields.

On April 3, 1083, my beloved husband Geoffrey of Derby died of old age. My Lord Earl arranged a double marriage - his step-daughter Eremberga with his distant kinsman Serlo of Derby, and me with Marshal Humbert of Derby, so I could care for his two motherless children.

On August 7, Anno Domini 1084, Countess Alberanda was delivered of a daughter, who was christened Muriella. This is getting confusing, as both my stepdaughters are also named Muriella of Derby!

On August 9, 1083, Steward Matilda de Grey passed away of old age. Serlo of Derby took her place as Steward, and my lord Earl persuaded the Countess to take over as Chancellor from me, while I assumed the post of Spymaster from her. This is really a better use of our talents, since I am almost as good at intrigue as she is, while she is much more diplomatic than I am.

On October 7, Eremberga announced that she was with child.

I'm worried about my younger step-daughter. Since the third of May, 1084, she's been acting stressed.

Later in May, my Lord Earl arranged the marriage of his distant kinsman Henri to Coblath ap Gwrgenau, who had been chancellor for Donnchad of Laigin, Count of Glamorgan, and appointed her steward.

July 2, 1084: Someone is spreading vicious slander about my lord Earl, claiming that he is a coward.

On July 7, the same day that Eremberga delivered the Countess' first grandson, Alphonse, the Countess announced that she was expecting another child.

On November 27, Eremberga announced that she was with child again.

April 13, 1085: Countess Alberanda delivered another daughter. I think there were already more than enough Muriellas of Derby running around the palace, but evidently the Countess is quite taken by the name, for that is what she christened her newest child.

richvh said:
Alas! Earl Richard passed away on January 19, 1070.

I am relieved to finally see an adult character dying in his forties. I had been a bit worried by the fact that every other dynasty head we have observed in an AAR lived well into his 70s or 80s. That should happen occasionally, but death before the age of 60 should be far more common than it had appeared to be so far.

Hm, may have to change this to "The Chronicles of the Muriellas of Derby". :p

(Either Paradox needs to patch the name generator quick, or we need to add more names to it - with more names to choose from, it should produce fewer duplications.)

MacRaith said:
(Either Paradox needs to patch the name generator quick, or we need to add more names to it - with more names to choose from, it should produce fewer duplications.)

Sounds like a pretty easy mod to make. Just add few lines to some text files.

BarristerBoy said:
Sounds like a pretty easy mod to make. Just add few lines to some text files.
It's character_names.csv. The format is:
Code:
culture;gender;name
and there are only 11 choices for Norman females:
Code:
norman;female;Adelaide
norman;female;Alberanda
norman;female;Busilla
norman;female;Constance
norman;female;Emma
norman;female;Eremberga
norman;female;Fressenda
norman;female;Judith
norman;female;Matilda
norman;female;Muriella
norman;female;Sibylla

richvh said:
there are only 11 choices for Norman females

Well, no wonder we get duplications! Have to get to work on this. Right after lunch. ;)

On August 23, 1085, Eremberga delivered a daughter, which she and Serlo christened Sibylla.

November 15, 1085: I'm worried about Steward Coblath. The stress of dealing with the malaria afflicting the province is making her act erratically.

Countess Alberanda announced that she is once more with child today, December 4.

On February 6, 1086, Eremberga announced that she was expecting the Countess' third grandchild.

In June a group of traveling stonemasons with the plans for small castles settled in Derby. Alas, with the lack of tax revenues due to the struggling county economy and malarial pestilence, I fear that it will be many years ere my Lord Earl can afford to reinforce his hill fort.

Alas! Lord Geoffrey, my Lord Earl's younger son, has been afflicted with some dire illness in August. I fear for his life.

The Countess was delivered of another son, Guy, on August 30.

Eremberga presented the Countess with her second grandson, Roger, on October 22.

In November a group of yeomen settled in newly cleared land. Steward Coblath reports that we can now consider Derby to be "poor" rather than "struggling", but alas the countryside is still afflicted with malaria.

On December 22, Eremberga announced that she was expecting her fourth child.

My Lord Earl has earned the reputation as being Chaste.

Alas! My godson, Earl Rainulf's second son, Geoffroy, died of his illness on August 23, 1087. But good news soon arrived, as Steward Coblath announced in September that the plague of Malaria no longer afflicted our county. Besides that, on September 7, Eremberga delivered her second daughter, Isabella.

In October, my Lord Earl's son and heir, Humphrey, completed his education. He bodes well to match his mother in intrigue, and I may soon be able to turn over my post of Spymaster to him.

On November 28, Eremberga announced that she was again with child.

On June 6, 1088, we celebrated the wedding of Sibylla, eldest daughter of Earl Rainulf, to Guillaume, eldest son and heir of Abelard, Earl of Gloucester.

On September 4, Eremberga delivered her third son, who was christened David.

On October 29, 1088, Ralph de Gael, Earl of Westmorland, accepted the suit of Lord Humphrey for his oldest daughter Emma's hand. Humphrey and Emma wasted no time, for by November 10, Emma announced that she was with child.

I like your AAR, but I don't need to hear about all the children born in the County. The Count's children are all that intersts us, even passingly. You can speed up your game play, rather than give us the details of every child ever born. Show us, all the changes and all the things that are improving or not improving and any major changes in land, like land grabs. I know this sounds critical of your AAR, but if you don't give us who is born to whom and how many times, we won't be disappointed and will actually see a progress.

EricSaxon said:
I like your AAR, but I don't need to hear about all the children born in the County. The Count's children are all that intersts us, even passingly. You can speed up your game play, rather than give us the details of every child ever born. Show us, all the changes and all the things that are improving or not improving and any major changes in land, like land grabs. I know this sounds critical of your AAR, but if you don't give us who is born to whom and how many times, we won't be disappointed and will actually see a progress.

Eh, I'll keep it in mind, but in the final analysis I write what interests me, and since genealogy is one of my passions, the kids get inflicted on you. Feel free to skim over the kids. At least I'm not inflicting their education on you!

Pope Anselm passed away on December 19, 1088. The cardinals elected Eduardo, the bishop of Orbetello, to replace him. It is rumored that His Majesty William, King of England, has great influence upon Eduardo. In January, 1089, a crusade against the infidels was proclaimed.

On March 28, Eremberga announced that she was expecting her sixth child. Just to show that no silver cloud lacks a dark lining, Steward Guillaume announced in April that once more, the lack of a steady supply of good quality manure has hurt the peasantry, and once more Derby can be considered Struggling.

On July 2, Earl Rainulf's daughter Sibylla announced that she was expecting her first child.

On August 2, Emma presented my Lord Earl with his first grandchild, a daughter that they christened Emma. It is obvious that Humphrey and Emma are deeply in love with each other, for Emma announced that she was expecting her second child on September 14.

Alas! Guy, the youngest son of my Lord Earl, has caught some dire illness. Let us pray that he recovers!

Eremberga delivered her fourth son on December 26. He was christened Mauger.

In February 1090, the craftsmen of Derby demonstrated their new innovation, half plate.

On March 29, Sibylla delivered her first child, a daughter that they christened Muriella. At least this Muriella will be known as Muriella of Gloucester, not Muriella of Derby like her two aunts and my two step-daughters. She is also deeply in love with her husband, Guillaume, for she announced that she was expecting her second child on May 20.

Praise be to the Lord! Emma delivered Earl Rainulf's first grandson on June 12! The succession is assured! He will be christened Matthew.

Alas! Guillaume and Sibylla's daughter Muriella died of illness on September 17.

Emma is announced that she is expecting her third child on October 24.

On Christmastide, Bishop Simon reported that the local monks had discovered an ancient manuscript describing the Seven Liberal Arts.

On February 15, 1091, Sibylla presented my Lord Earl with his second grandson, who is second in line for the Earldom of Gloucester. His name is Robert. Let us pray that he lives longer than his sister.

I turned over the post of Spymaster to Lord Humphrey.

My Lord Earl commissioned the construction of a Library in Derby. Unfortunately, soon after the contract was signed in June, it was discovered that a Thieves' Guild had been set up in our province, and we shall have to wait some time before we can afford to build a Court of Justice to bring them to heel.

Emma presented my Lord Earl with his third grandson on July 21. Mauger is third in line to second his grandfather.

Alas! My Lord Earl's youngest son, Guy, died on December 1, 1091. He was just 5 years old, and had never recovered from the illness that had afflicted him for the past two years. On a brighter note, Emma announced that she was expecting her fourth child on December 30.

Serlo and Eremberga's oldest son, Alphonse, started acting erratically in March 1092, and his cousin Emma, daughter of Humphrey and Emma, also became erratic in July. On a brighter note, the yeomen of Derby demonstrated a better method of raising goats in July. Perhaps this will turn the county economy around.

Emma delivered a second daughter on September 16. Humphrey really seems taken with the name Emma, for both of his daughters now bear that name.

Sibylla announced that she was expecting her third child on February 18, 1093.

In July, traveling craftsmen demonstrated the Slung Javelin at the court, and in August other traveling craftsmen demonstrated the Wooden Plough.

AFAIK it depends on your succession laws. As long as the new monarch has the same dynasty name the game continues, IIRC.

Basil II said:
What are the ways of sucession? Do you have to have a DIRECT male heir, or can it be passed to a male relative, such as a brother, nephew or grandson?
There's seven different succession laws. I've got semi-salic primogeniture. My first earl had no relatives defined at the start, and had only daughters before his early death, and he was succeeded by a random member of his dynasty. Rainulf now has six heirs: his sole surviving son, his son's two sons, and his daughters' three sons. His son Humphrey's successors are his two sons, then his father, then his three nephews. Humphrey's older son Matthew's successors are his father, his brother, his grandfather, then his three cousins. In salic primogeniture, the daughters' sons would be left out of the succession. I haven't played with the others.

Hurray! More pointy rulers :D They also seem to be quite good at creating children, I foresee no trouble finding heirs for these guys :)