• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pilirengo said:
Hi, and thanks for the AAR.

What are your plans? Would like to see what happens England and beyond!

Well, I have my eye on the Duchy of Lancaster, which was vacant when I started but was claimed by the new Duke of Norfolk. England's been pretty quiet, except for some squabbles between the Duke of Normandy and his vassals where the King has supported the Duke, but he hasn't called up his vassals. Nor has he done any crusading that I'm aware of, and I'm not sure I want to go solo on that sort of thing.

Try marrying yourself into more claims and possible inheritances... It seems to be a great way to gain...

The more I read the more I can't wait for my ORDER TO ARRIVE... Dammit. I hope I get it this week.

On September 9, 1093, Emma's father, Ralph de Gael, became Duke of Norfolk. My Lord Earl's grandsons, Matthew and Mauger, now stand second and third in line to inherit the duchy, after their uncle Alphonse.

In October my Lord Earl commissioned the construction of a Hall of Justice. Let us pray that soon those vile thieves are driven from our county! In other news, my Lord Earl's liege lord, Ralph de Gael, added the title of Duke of Lancaster to his name. Earl Rainulf's grandsons now have the possibility of inheriting two duchies.

Guillaume and Sibylla have had poor luck with their daughters. Their second daughter, Emma, born on November 17, 1093, just died on April 20, 1094. She was just five months old.

Emma announced on December 10, 1094, that she is expecting Lord Humphrey's fifth child.

In September 1095, traveling peasants described to the court how they use a Two Field System to get better crop yields. On the 12th of the month, Emma presented Lord Humphrey with his third daughter, which they named Adelaide for a change.

On December 27, 1095, my Lord Earl's son-in-law, Guillaume of Gloucester, inherited his father's title of Earl of Gloucester.

Serlo of Derby took ill in November of 1095, and died on August 8, 1096, leaving Eremberga a widow. Earl Rainulf tried to find an English husband for his step-daughter, but finally accepted the suit of the Count of Bourbon, Richard Bacon.

In November 1098, the last of the Thieves' Guild were hunted down and hanged. We can all breath easier now!

In March of 1099, my Lord Earl arrange the marriage of his second daughter, Muriella the Elder, to Humphrey of Warwick, second son of Robert, Earl of Warwick.

In March of 1100, Resettlement on Newly Claimed Land increased our prosperity somewhat. The recently widowed Steward Coblath reports that no longer is our county considered Struggling, but merely Poor. On the 12th of the month, Muriella presented the Earl with his fourth grandson, Humbert, who stands third in line to inherit his grandfather Robert's Earldom of Warwick, and on the 27th of the month, Emma presented my Lord Earl with another grandchild, her and Humphrey's fourth daughter, Alberanda..

In February 1101, traveling craftsmen demonstrated the advantages of Soft Leather armor, and on the 22nd, Humphrey of Warwick and Muriella presented Earl Rainulf with his fifth grandson, Drogo.

On October 11, Muriella the Younger's husband, Richard de Gael, passed away while she was expecting her first child. Earl Rainulf arranged for her marriage to Gospatrick, younger son of Gospatrick, Scottish Count of Atholl. Her daughter Fresenda was born on November 7, the day after the marriage. Later in November Spymaster Muriella (my step-daughter) "discovered" a claim on the County of Shrewsbury, and presented it to my Lord Earl.

On March 15, 1102, Muriella the Elder was delivered of her first daughter, Sibylla.

In August of 1102 Steward Coblath reported that Reclaimed Wasteland and Forests had improved the County's prosperity from Poor to Nornal.

On October 10, 1102, my Lord Earl, Rainulf of Derby, passed from this mortal coil. He was succeeded by his son Humphrey of Derby.

Basil II said:
Try marrying yourself into more claims and possible inheritances... It seems to be a great way to gain...

The more I read the more I can't wait for my ORDER TO ARRIVE... Dammit. I hope I get it this week.

Well, I made a claim on the county of Shrewbury, which Humphrey just inherited, and his children have claims on the Duchy of Norfolk (they are second and third in line for their grandfather the Duke's titles, after his sole legitimate son, who is a widower at 29. He has three bastard sons, but his only legitimate children are daughters. He's also the Count of Shrewsbury, so Humphrey's sons are also second and third in line for that county _without_ the manufactured claim.)

After my try at Byzantium... I plan to try to become King of Ireland by marriage... I'd think this is possible given the way the game works.

This game looks SO COOL... BTW, you are doing great. VERY entertaining read.

Very...

richvh said:
Well, I made a claim on the county of Shrewbury, which Humphrey just inherited, and his children have claims on the Duchy of Norfolk (they are second and third in line for their grandfather the Duke's titles, after his sole legitimate son, who is a widower at 29. He has three bastard sons, but his only legitimate children are daughters. He's also the Count of Shrewsbury, so Humphrey's sons are also second and third in line for that county _without_ the manufactured claim.)

Very good AAR as an English minor, are you gonna make a bid for the throne eventaully?

Did you order the game or buy it in a store?

JRubeus said:
Very good AAR as an English minor, are you gonna make a bid for the throne eventaully?

Don't know, have to see if my savegame is recoverable. It CTDed after closing the hints screen when I tried to load it this morning. First I have to inherit the Duchies of Norfolk and Lancaster, then I'll see how it goes from there. England's in disarray, I don't think Robert de Normandie, Bastard Bill's son, is a very good king. Lots of independent counties in southern England, and looking over my save game this morning, it looks like my liege lord, Ralph de Gael, Duke of Norfolk and Lancaster, has also withdrawn his allegiance from the King.

Did you order the game or buy it in a store?

Pre-order from Paradox.

Fortunately, the autosave had no problems.

Alas! Countess Emma has fallen ill in February of 1103.

On March 17, 1104, Countess Emma's sole legitimate brother, Alphonse de Gael, Earl of Shrewsbury, died with no legitimate male issue. His father, Ralph de Gael, Duke of Norfolk and Lancaster, inherited the county from his son, and Earl Humphrey's sons now are first and second in line to inherit the Ducal titles.

In August, Steward Coblath reported that, due to Resettlement on Newly Claimed Land, Derby could now be considered Prosperous.

On November 29, Muriella the Elder's father-in-law, Robert Earl of Warwick, died, leaving his county to his oldest son, who is currently childless but has recently married a young bride. Marshal Humphrey, Muriella's husband, is now next in line, with their two sons, Humbert and Drogo, the nephews of Earl Humphrey, after him.

On June 26, 1105, the Dowager Countess, Alberanda, Chancellor of Derby, died. She was replaced as Chancellor by her daughter, Muriella the Elder, who surpassed her in matters diplomatic.

April 1106: Lord Mauger loves to ride horses hard through the woods. Earl Humphrey has encouraged his physical endeavors, and as a result Mauger has become Energetic and Reckless. On the 24th of the month, the Earl's oldest daughter, Emma, was wed to Randolph de Leyburne, who had been Steward to Arthur, Bishop of Durham. Randolph is quite skilled as Steward (some call him Midas Touched), and is appointed to the same post in Derby. It is a bit of a May-December match, though, as Randolph is 69 and Emma just 16. They seem quite taken with each other, though, as Emma announced that she was with child on May 9.

Lord Matthew asked for the hand of Tobritza of Napoli, younger daughter of Count Rossos of Napoli in July. The Count was at first reluctant, refusing the suit, but acquiesced as Matthew pressed his suit. The couple were married on August 7.

Tragedy struck the court in the fall, as Countess Emma died on September 13, Serlo of Lancaster, husband of Spymaster Muriella, died on October 12, and the Earl's youngest daughter, Alberanda, died on October 17. The Earl and Muriella found comfort in each others' arms, and were wed on October 17. At the young age of 25, Muriella has outlived two husbands. Let us pray that this marriage lasts longer.

Emma presented my Lord Earl with his first grandchild, a daughter which was christened Joan, on February 14, 1107.

On February 23, 1107, Pope Eduardo passed away. The cardinals elected Martino, bishop of Compostela, to replace him. It is said that Countess Eadgyth of Hampshire has the ear of the pope.

In April Steward Randolph reported that Poor Seed Selection was depressing harvests, and that our prosperity declined from Prosperous to Normal.

On August 3, Countess Muriella presented Earl Humphrey with a daughter, which they name Sibylla.

Tobritza presented my Lord Earl with his second granddaughter on September 26, 1107. Her name is Matilda.

Lord Mauger asked for the hand of Alis of Liagin, youngest daughter of Count Donnchad of Glamorgan, in October. The Count was reluctant, but Lord Mauger pressed his suit, and on the third request he gave his consent. The happy couple were married on October 24, 1107.

Hm... Muriella's tendency to make her husbands die could be used to your advantage--marry her off to someone you can get a nice inheritance from (or if I'm completely confused about the game mechanics, just someone you don't particularly like :D)

Morpheus506 said:
Hm... Muriella's tendency to make her husbands die could be used to your advantage--marry her off to someone you can get a nice inheritance from (or if I'm completely confused about the game mechanics, just someone you don't particularly like :D)

I don't remember the circumstances of her first husband's death, but her second had the trait of Illness when they married. I've never yet seen a character with that trait that has not died within a few years. Matthew's wife was also ill when they married, and survived only long enough to produce one child. She had a 12 stewardship, and was hoping that she would live long enough to pass that on to her issue, but no such luck; their daughter has a mediocre stewardship score.

Things are a little complicated in England these days. It seems my overlord is in rebellion against King Robert, as are numerous counties in the south. He's also lost almost all of Normandy.
England1108.jpg

Are the Blue counties the provinces that the Duke of Norfolk had before? How are their relations with England now, are they revolting as well or sort of sitting back and watching?

The dark blue counties are the vassals and demesne of Duke Ralph, to whom Earl Humphrey's son Matthew is heir. Duke Ralph's revolting from England, but all of his vassals are disgustingly loyal to him (100% loyal to a man (or woman, in the case of the Countess of Lincoln.)

At the end of October, 1107, Steward Randolph reported that, with the Towns and Hamlets Growing Considerably, we could once more consider Derby to be Prosperous.

On November 2, 1107, Lord Matthew's young wife died of illness. In his sorrow, Matthew traveled to the Continent, where he met Almodis of Angouleme, oldest daughter of Count Hugues of Angouleme. Count Hugues was quite reluctant to give away his daughter, but finally acquiesced to Matthew's suit. The couple were married on January 18, 1108.

In August 1108 Roger de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, asked for the hand of Emma the Younger, second daughter of my Lord Earl, and Earl Humphrey granted his suit.

On February 19, 1109, Lady Alis, wife of Lord Mauger, presented Earl Humphrey with his first grandson. He was named Mauger after his father, and is third in line to inherit from his grandfather. On the 27th, Lady Almodis, Lord Matthew's wife, also had a son, named Simon. Surely the House of Derby is blessed! Simon is second in line for the County of Derby, and third in line for the County of Angouleme.

On March 29, 1110, Lady Almodis died while trying to deliver her second child, who also died. Matthew traveled to Exeter, where he met Beatrice de Normandie, granddaughter of the Conqueror and step-daughter of Countess Ermessendis. The Countess rejected the marriage, but she was shortly after relieved of her county by her brother-in-law, King Robert, and Earl Humphrey was able to arrange the marriage before the family moved to Ermessendis' father's court in Provence.

Very interesting so far. I am salivating to get my game! I tell you, we are all going to need to become pro's at making family trees if we are not already, else this could get very confusing after several years.

Interesting idea, keeping a family tree... Does the game have a way of displaying your relations?

My first game (and AAR) when I get the game (hopefully it will be here by this time next week) will be based on building up from a county to becoming the royal family of Ireland (Byzantium seems to be out for a first game, I think that one would crash and burn)

I think keeping a family tree would be a good idea, particularly since I don't want to end up breeding inbred morons like the Hapsburgs became, though occasional inbreeding is inevitable (esspecially after a couple generations, ie, to get a son in better line to inherit a title).

Basil II said:
Interesting idea, keeping a family tree... Does the game have a way of displaying your relations?

Only in a limited way. The character window shows on the top line below that character's personal information his liege and vassals, on the second line
his parents, spouse(s) and children, below that his siblings and successors, and at the bottom members of his court and claims he holds. You can click on anyone in the window to see their relations, but with large families it gets hard to choose the right silhouette, as they get crowded together.

A savegame to GEDCOM translator would probably come in handy, so you could import the genealogy database into a genealogy program.

Very interesting AAR thus far. Perhaps you might consider assassinating that duke whose land you are in line to inherit.