• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spectre48

Second Lieutenant
49 Badges
Feb 22, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
Hey guys! This will be my third AAR (though my Victoria 2 one was discontinued), and for this one I'll be playing the Empire of the Romans (Byzantine Empire) in the MEIOU and Taxes mod of EUIV. The starting date will be 1356, and I'll be playing on Hard with no bonus to AI/player, and no lucky nations. Of course, since it's a mod, I can't enable Iron Man mode, but the only time I will be using a save is in between play sessions. Please leave any feedback/constructive criticism, and I'll be more than happy to reply in turn to each post, and to give answers to any questions. Enjoy!

The Eagle Becomes a Phoenix

cYCYrpr.png

Table of Contents
Preface - The Ascension of Emperor John VI
Chapter One - From the Ashes
Chapter Two - The First Roman Reconquista: The Aegean War
Chapter Three - Dominance of the Aegean
Chapter Four - Greeks and Romans
Chapter Five - Conflict in Italy *NEW*

War Index
The Aegean War (1357-1365)
The Balkan War (1365-1373)
The War of Gorizian Succession (1375-1378) *NEW*

Preface - The Ascension of Emperor John VI

The Empire in and stemming from the city of Constantinople had many names. To western Europe it was known as the Empire of the Greeks. The Muslim world simply called it Rum, or Rome. To it's own people it was known as the Empire of the Romans - the last true vestige of the Roman Empire that had once dominated the known world. For centuries the glory that was once the Roman Empire had been decaying and declined to the point of near extinction. By the middle of the 14th century, famine, foreign invaders, and civil wars had taken a heavy toll. The Empire that had once encompassed the entire Mediterranean Sea, including Greece, Italy, France, Spain, England and parts of the Middle East, was reduced just to the city of Constantinople and the surrounding lands of Thrace, Thessaloniki, and Morea. The Empire also managed to cling desperately to Philadelphia - the last Roman-held city in Anatolia.

lbW6NtG.png

The Empire of the Romans before the Civil War of 1341

While the Empire had finally regained some stability under the reign of Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos (1328-1341), it seemed that by the mid 1350's, the Eastern Roman Empire would finally be doomed to suffer a similar fate to that of the Western Empire nearly a millennium before. A civil war broke out upon the death of Andronikos in 1341 between his son, John of the Palaiologos dynasty, and his chief minister, John of the Kantakouzenos dynasty. This war would tear the Empire apart until it came to a final end in 1354, resulting in John VI Palaiologos (also known as Iohannes VI) becoming the sole Emperor, and the pretender being forced to retire and become a monk. Though political stability had been restored, the Empire had lost most of Greece and Macedonia, save for Thessaloniki, to the Serbs, Gallipoli and the surrounding area to the Ottoman Turks, and the territory north of the Evros River to Bulgaria. Furthermore, the city of Constantinople had been devastated by the Black Plague between the years of 1346 and 1349.

xJfUJef.jpg

The Empire of the Romans in 1354, after Iohannes VI became the sole Emperor.

Emperor John VI used the next two years to consolidate what little power the Roman Empire had remaining. During this time he reformed the Roman military, reestablishing a standing army to reduce Roman dependence on mercenaries, and beginning the reconstruction of the Roman Navy. While Venice and Genoa were officially allies, relations were tense at best. Wars between the two Mediterranean powers and Rome were still fresh in memory, and Iohannes VI's mother, Anna of Savoy, had pawned the Roman Crown Jewels to Venice to fund the efforts during the civil war. Because of this, the Emperor began to look elsewhere for more stable allies. Meanwhile, in January of 1356, the cities of Abydos in Ottoman-held Anatolia, and Catana in Sicily, had risen against and overthrown their oppressors - and the Emperor began to look at each as a potential opportunity to reestablish footholds in Anatolia and Italy, and begin rebuilding the Empire that had been lost over the centuries.

epBRUFn.png

1356 - The Empire of the Romans (dark purple) and the Principality of Morea (light purple), Roman allies Venice and Genoa (green), and successful rebellions against Sicily/Ottomans (red).

Last edited:
Like the looks of the borders in this mod, will be following as you seek to restore the Empire. How far do your ambitions go? Will you look to rebuild a predominantly Greek Empire, one based on Greece, the Balkans and Anatolia or more?

subbed

Like the looks of the borders in this mod, will be following as you seek to restore the Empire. How far do your ambitions go? Will you look to rebuild a predominantly Greek Empire, one based on Greece, the Balkans and Anatolia or more?

I have two main goals, depending on how well the campaign goes:

1) Reconquer the lands that once belonged to the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire.

2) Restore the glory that was Rome by reforming the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
How different is this mod from vanilla?

Very different - almost every aspect of the game is changed in some way to make things more realistic/challenging. I love EU4, but M&T makes it even better.

Definitely subbed, I love Romans :D Also, is your goal to reconquer the whole Roman Empire if you can, or will you only go as far as Italy in Europe? I do hope it's the former.

I'm aiming for the former. Conquest is extremely difficult in this mod, however. Overextension is reduced, but the cost of coring is so high that it's almost not even worth it. Alternatively, you can wait a few decades and events will fire to slowly make the province your core. I also have a submod installed called "Aragorn's Triumph" that gives the Empire of the Romans faster coring on former Roman lands. I'm not sure if that includes the entirety of the Roman Empire or just the Justinian Byzantine Empire, but either way it should make it more possible for me to begin the Roman Reconquista.

Also, I plan on having the opening chapter posted either tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Very different - almost every aspect of the game is changed in some way to make things more realistic/challenging. I love EU4, but M&T makes it even better.

I'm aiming for the former. Conquest is extremely difficult in this mod, however. Overextension is reduced, but the cost of coring is so high that it's almost not even worth it. Alternatively, you can wait a few decades and events will fire to slowly make the province your core. I also have a submod installed called "Aragorn's Triumph" that gives the Empire of the Romans faster coring on former Roman lands. I'm not sure if that includes the entirety of the Roman Empire or just the Justinian Byzantine Empire, but either way it should make it more possible for me to begin the Roman Reconquista.

Also, I plan on having the opening chapter posted either tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Thanks for telling me about those events, didn't know M&T had those. I believe it's way too expensive in this mod, a base 50 ADM for 1 base tax province is too much. It's no surprise when I played it last I modified it to base 30. Though, after learning about those events, next time I play I might not mind it.
Is integrating vassals in M&T still difficult? I mean, I remember they stated that they tied how much big of an opinion you can give via diplomats to your vassals(hardcap of 50) and that it's tied with centralization, except that I remember when I played ERE that I was centralization lvl 5 but could only get that 50+ opinion boost, the same as non-centralized nations. What am I missing?

Good man. I harbour a distinct dislike for people who say they want to restore the Roman Empire and then they end up conquering only as far as North Italy and Tunis on the west side of the empire and go on an Asian rampage!

hazIQPJ.png

Chapter One - From the Ashes

The beginning of Emperor John VI's reign ushered in a new era for the Empire of the Romans. Not only were his military reforms effective in turning the Roman army and navy into a force to be feared once again, but the 21 year old Emperor quickly proved to be an able administrator and an ambitious military leader. His economic and trade reforms reaped immediate benefits, and the Empire began to flourish for the first time in ages. The rebellions in Abydos and Catana would give John IV a chance to test his new military and economy, and in February of 1356, shortly after the birth of his first son and heir apparent Manuel I, the Romans descended upon Abydos with a force of 7,000 men and 2,000 cavalry. The territory had recently been under the control of the Ottoman Turks, but the rebels had begun to march south towards Bergama and the Turkish army was forced to turn their attention to stomping the threat out rather than trading city for city. This left Abydos virtually undefeated, and by the middle of May, the city had been reclaimed by the Empire of the Romans.

Hk1r1kR.png

kWv4AQr.png

The reign of John VI looked to have the potential to become a new Golden Age for the Empire of the Romans (top), and the birth of an heir ensured a continuation of Palaiologos dominance in the Roman government (bottom).

After the fall of Abydos, John VI looked to Hungary in the north, and the Iberian nation of Aragon in the west for stronger allies to combat a potential defensive war against the Ottomans. Both nations, impressed by the success of the young ruler, agreed to alliances. The apparent reascension of the Empire hadn't gone unnoticed by the other powers and peoples in the Balkans and Anatolia. The Serbian Empire had only recently become a power, but were already being faced with internal struggles. Two factions had risen in arms against the Serbian ruler, Stefan Uros V, and both factions were influenced by the recent return to power of Constantinople. The first internal threat to strike the Serbian Empire would be Simeon Uros - the former despot of Epirus and a relative of the Roman Emperor John VI, who claimed the Serbian throne and led a rebellion in Kosovo. While this weakened the Serbs, it did not break them. However, the rebellion proved to be a sufficient distraction for the former Roman citizens in the province of Maleniko to rise up against their new rulers in an attempt to return the provinces lost by the Romans during the Civil War of 1341.

sBLv5o3.png

BMA7OjO.png

The new alliances with Hungary and Aragon multiplied Roman military power both on land and at sea.

The Ottoman Turks, who had sided with the Roman pretender during the civil war, scrapped their plans to regain control of Abydos from the Romans and their new allies. Instead they turned their gaze to the weakened Serbian Empire to expand further into Europe, and in December of 1356, they declared war. The first few weeks of the war saw little action, with the Serbian navy - about half the size of that of their new enemy - desperately trying to avoid conflict. By early January, however, the Ottomans had finished their preparations to invade. The Turkish fleet sailed from Bergama along with an army of 11,000 men, planning to land in the Serbian province of Strymon. The fleet was made up of 29 ships, and took to sea on January 12 under the cover of darkness. The Serbian fleet, attempting to return to the port of Lezha on the western Balkan coast, was caught completely by surprise in the open waters of the Aegean, and were forced to put up a fight or be destroyed. The naval battle lasted about two months before the Serbian ships were sunk or routed, but not before three Ottoman transports and 3,000 men perished, along with another five warships.

John VI of the Romans had been watching this war carefully, and with the somewhat weakened fleet carrying almost the entirety of the Ottoman army into Serbia, he saw an opportunity to strike and cripple his rival. The Roman fleet of 28 ships, including 18 galleys, left Constantinople on March 10th, 1357, with their destination being the Aegean Sea. A week later, on the 17th of March, the Empire of the Romans formally declared war on the Ottomans and their allies. The Roman fleet would meet the Ottomans at sea three days later, in a battle that would prove to have a devastating impact on the outcome of the war.

68fh541.png

The Battle of the Aegean Sea between the Romans and the Ottomans, 1357, would prove to be a decisive battle in the war.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling me about those events, didn't know M&T had those. I believe it's way too expensive in this mod, a base 50 ADM for 1 base tax province is too much. It's no surprise when I played it last I modified it to base 30. Though, after learning about those events, next time I play I might not mind it.
Is integrating vassals in M&T still difficult? I mean, I remember they stated that they tied how much big of an opinion you can give via diplomats to your vassals(hardcap of 50) and that it's tied with centralization, except that I remember when I played ERE that I was centralization lvl 5 but could only get that 50+ opinion boost, the same as non-centralized nations. What am I missing?

Good man. I harbour a distinct dislike for people who say they want to restore the Roman Empire and then they end up conquering only as far as North Italy and Tunis on the west side of the empire and go on an Asian rampage!

With the recent M&T hotfix, the requirements to annex vassals has changed. I believe you can do the full +100 now. Here's a link to the MEIOU and Taxes wikipedia, specifically the vassalization/integration page: http://wiki.meiouandtaxes.com/?title=Diplomatic_Actions

And yes, taking France and Spain out of the planned conquests decreases the challenge immensely. I want this to be as challenging as possible.

You should have cores all over Asia Minor as well as Greece. Destroying the Ottoman army on board ship certainly has advantages. Good luck taking provinces back from the Ottomans.

I do, and thanks!

Apologies to all for the shortish amount of time covered in my first chapter. This is going to be a detailed AAR, and I'm going to take my time to try to make it so, while also trying not to overwhelm the readers with ultra-posts.

Looks interesting, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.
sidenote: Thank you for avoiiding those monster posts

oE0TL8j.jpg

Chapter Two - The First Roman Reconquista: The Aegean War

On the evening of March 20, 1357, the Battle of the Aegean broke out between the Empire of the Romans, and the Ottoman Turks. For the first few days, each fleet attempted to outmaneuver the other, but by the beginning of April, the fighting began in earnest. Seven Ottoman ships had joined the main fleet as reinforcements, evening the odds significantly. By April 22nd, however, it was apparent that the Roman fleet had the upper hand, and this advantage was significantly increased when the Aragonian fleet joined that of their Roman allies, giving them a 2:1 advantage over the Ottomans. For all intents and purposes, after this, the battle was over. By May 11, the Ottoman navy was shattered. While the Romans and her allies lost two galleys, the Ottomans lost 28 ships, including 19 warships, and 8,000 soldiers. This crushing defeat shattered Turkish military power and left Anatolia wide open for invasion.

ETTuNs0.jpg

The victory in the Battle of the Aegean Sea by the Empire of the Romans and allies was one of the most costly defeats in Ottoman history, and proved to be the decisive battle in the the Aegean War between the Romans and Ottomans.

After the victory at sea, the Roman legions spilled into Ottoman-held Anatolia with a force of 13,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry, laying siege to Nicomedia, Bursa, and Gallipoli. The Romans met little resistance until Bursa, the Ottoman capitol, where a force of 2,000 Ottoman allies put up a last ditch effort to halt the Roman offensive. The battle lasted less than a week, however, and once the force was broken, the Romans were free to roam and pillage at will. By 1358, the Ottomans had all but lost the war. In addition, on March 2nd, Roman forces under the command of the Morean king had seized Catana, and as a result the Empire of the Romans had established a foothold in Sicily for the first time in hundreds of years. The celebration only lasted a few hours, however, as on that same day the Roman allies in Hungary declared war on Venice, effectively opening a new front in the war and giving the Ottomans hope that they desperately needed.

Fw7vh0s.png

3VjN2y2.png

The Aegean War in March, 1358 - The Empire of the Romans (purple, light purple) and allies (red) against the Ottomans, Venice, and allies (green).

The entrance of Venice into what would become known as the Aegean War quickly proved to be of little help to the Ottomans. The blockades of Ottoman ports by the Roman fleet had taken a huge toll on the Ottoman economy. While this blockade was broken in order to hunt down Venetian ships, much of the Ottoman territory was now held by the Empire, and the Venetians were unwilling to land troops in Anatolia to relieve their new war allies. The final devastating blow came on December 1st, 1358, when Orhan Gazi, the Bey of the Ottoman Empire, fell in battle. The war would continue under their new Bey, Murad I, but the Ottomans would no longer pose a threat to the Empire of the Romans, who turned their attention to the Venetian islands in Greece and the Aegean. On July 18 of 1360, Emperor John VI began the invasion of these territories, beginning with Naxos.

A7LfUSO.png

mUnOcZL.jpg

A new Ottoman leader (top), and the Roman invasion of Naxos (bottom).

The war between the Empire of the Romans and the Ottoman Turks would come to an official end on the 25th of April, 1361. The Ottomans would cede control of nearly half of their empire in Anatolia, save for their capitol in Bursa. The Romans would also annex the Mentese, who were allies of Ottomans during the war. In addition, the Mongolian Blue Horde was forced to cede their lands in the Crimean peninsula for their participation in the war. The resulting peace treaty greatly strengthened the Empire - but there was still a war against Venice to see to, and before long the Mameluks would turn their attention to the Mediterranean islands, causing tensions to escalate between the reascending Romans and the rest of the Islamic world.

SWbOKmQ.png

Nz5Lb3K.png

The peace treaty greatly enlarged the borders and the power of the Empire of the Romans.

Last edited:
Well that war went as well as could be expected. The Ottomans lost their fleet, army, a ruler in battle and half their empire and only suffered a -2.2 loss of prestige. There's something wrong there, especially as Byzantium gained 32.2 prestige. A nice grab of Catana in Sicily and this war against Venice looks like you'll be able to gift Achaia and Athens to Morea and help yourself to Eubeia, Crete and Naxos. Not good to learn that the Mamluks will try to spoil the party, but not unexpected either. The remaining turkisk Beyliks shouldn't prove that much of a challenge. You've got an opening to claim whatever Genoese provinces you don't already a core on and you'll soon be able to integrate Morea.

I'm surprised you didn't bum-rush Epirus first. Any specific reason for that?

Opportunity, I suppose. I didn't want to make a day one declaration, and I kind of wanted to deal with my largest threats first (AKA Serbia, Bulgaria, Ottomans). Epirus would have made an easy target, but the Ottomans with their entire army able to be dealt with in one naval battle presented an easy target and a much more strategically valuable one.

Well that war went as well as could be expected. The Ottomans lost their fleet, army, a ruler in battle and half their empire and only suffered a -2.2 loss of prestige. There's something wrong there, especially as Byzantium gained 32.2 prestige. A nice grab of Catana in Sicily and this war against Venice looks like you'll be able to gift Achaia and Athens to Morea and help yourself to Eubeia, Crete and Naxos. Not good to learn that the Mamluks will try to spoil the party, but not unexpected either. The remaining turkisk Beyliks shouldn't prove that much of a challenge. You've got an opening to claim whatever Genoese provinces you don't already a core on and you'll soon be able to integrate Morea.

I agree about the prestige thing. I'm not 100% sure how that works. This war against Venice will be an interesting one. There are a lot of minor nations involved, but Hungary is also the war leader, so I can't get too greedy or they might make peace before I get the chance to stake my claim.

Ah I see. In such a case, I think you're right then. Wiping out the Ottomans as a viable threat to you is a far more worthy prize than four provinces in Greece. Looking forward to see if smart play and direction helps you to earn a similar victory over Venice.

Good luck getting rid of Wrath of God.