• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vincent Julien: The mood is grim but confident! (austrian proverb)

I guess, the Austrian Military would actually be able to hold their ground quite well, provided that sufficient propaganda is made for the german-speaking and hungarian-speaking soldiers to stick together. I wouldn´t expect them to last very long otherwise.
Oh, and provided that the officer corps is a lot better than 20 years ago...

I suppose a lot depends on what those units are. If they're level I militia, coming up against 1936 infantry then the Austrians have a good chance.

Chapter XV and only now has the game been unpaused. How's that for a warm up!

Meltdown1986 said:
Oh, and provided that the officer corps is a lot better than 20 years ago...

Well, we've already seen the generals, and they were not really up to scratch. :(

I love it! :)
Yogi, you're one hell of a productive writer! Top quality prose at high speed - I know that even if I had such good ideas about what to write, I couldn't produce it that steadily! (Reminds me of what Steven King in his book 'On Writing' wrote - being able to write a lot, and with good quality, is a rare gift.)

And I think the flag for the Hungarian people's republic is very cool! I was a bit surprised to see the royal Yugoslavian flag for the south slavic people's republic, though... if you can spare the time, maybe the guys over at the Victoria or HoI graphics modding forum have digital versions of commie flags from the Tito-era, with, well, more red. :D

I don't own HoI2 (the WW2 theme never did it for me) but if you published your Mod I'd seriously consider buying the game, just to be able to play this kickass scenario. :)

In this scenario, no Royal Yugoslavia (Or any Yugoslavia) has existed, so it isn't unreasonable that the rebels have adopted it as their initial flag, I suppose.

Karl Martell said:
I don't own HoI2 (the WW2 theme never did it for me) but if you published your Mod I'd seriously consider buying the game, just to be able to play this kickass scenario. :)

I second the publishing part.

Here is a selection of the custom flags for this scenario. I did the Hungarian one myself, and the French one is a Mettermrck design made by cthulhu. Unfortunately, doing the flags on the counters is a heck of a lot harder, especially without the proper software, but I did redo the Commie-Hungarian counter to an all red flag, which was easy enough.

flags6ne.jpg

I fully intend to make this a downloadable mod, but it might be a while, while a try to make it less... intrusive (it completely undoes vanilla HOI2 right now).

Nice flags. :thumbsup:

The Yogi said:
Here is a selection of the custom flags for this scenario. I did the Hungarian one myself, and the French one is a Mettermrck design made by cthulhu. Unfortunately, doing the flags on the counters is a heck of a lot harder, especially without the proper software, but I did redo the Commie-Hungarian counter to an all red flag, which was easy enough.

flags6ne.jpg

I fully intend to make this a downloadable mod, but it might be a while, while a try to make it less... intrusive (it completely undoes vanilla HOI2 right now).

maybe you should ask the CORE guys are so how to put it as a moddir...

Archangel85 said:
maybe you should ask the CORE guys are so how to put it as a moddir...

I believe there are a number of problems with moddir right now... maybe when v1.2 comes out that will be fixed.

Yogi, what a marvelous work you are doing in here! I'd put an aditional sugestion, though... in the year of 1935 there was an attempt at a communist uprising in Brazil, the so-called "Intentona Comunista", and it failed due to lack of proper preparation by the commies, but perhaps with French support the end result would be another red victory? Or perhaps the answer to a more efficient uprising would be a more extremist right wing dictatorship? And what about the rest of Latin America? Have Zapata and Villa had the same end of their historical counterparts or are you hiding something from us?

BTW, that no good Gunderian! Already has he found his way into mobile warfare... Rommel should put that punkhead back into his place ;)

Again, congratulations for this marvellous AAR. Keep it up!

Vincent Julien said:
Well, we've already seen the generals, and they were not really up to scratch. :(

The old tragedy of the Imperial military...

cthulhu : Expectant readers are the best source of inspiration a writer could have.

Morpheus506 : That old fox will have a young cub under command, as you'll find out soon...

markeip : Yeah, it has been quite a ride...

Evans : No need to pay - in one form or another, I will release this, OK?

Vincent Julien: Numbers are heavily stacked against them, yes.

Zuckergußgebäck: No the Gebirgskorps includes only Gebirgsjäger divisions and regiments, whereas Adolf's old outfit are regular infantry.

Archangel85 :That could so easily have been the end of Hauptmann Hitler... but it wasn't. ;)

Rommel22 : Thanks Rommel22. The first major fight of the AAR will actually take place a little bit further east from Prague...

Kaiser Franz : I like those reviews!:) And I want to see page 3 too! (IMHO that is the one good page of The Sun) I don't have a cast in mind yet... starring: Clint Eastwood as Kaiser Wilhelm II and Tobey Maguire as Otto I?

KingMississippi : I could cast you as one historically very famous character who tragically died leading a cavalry charge early in the war...

FlyingCanOpenener : I won't bet against you.

Petrarca : By and large, the Czechs support the Reds in this scenario, since they represent their only opportunity to win self-determination.

Virgiltchicken : They do, courtesy of Leon Trotsky's Red Air Force. Although not that many, the tiny Austrian air force has encountered very little opposition, but has also had a marginal impact. This is a pure land war so far.

elbasto, Mind Elemental, Archangel85 : You guys should be at the OHL.

Intosh : Interestingly, I was going to do something much along those lines - however, there arose the problem that you cannot give away any of other forces than your own as expeditionary forces, (not even a puppets) - so for purely technical reasons, it won't happen (which sucks). Regarding the Nazi's of this timeline, IMHO they would have found little "lebenraum" in a political niche to the right of the existing Government.

Meltdown1986 : Well, both nationalities have much to loose from the end of the old order, so hopefully they can stick together. The Croatians now, that's another matter...

Evil Capitalist : Both sides have mainly 1918 infantry, with some mountain troops and cavalry. Little or no militia on either side.

Karl Martell : Speed? Steady production? My friend, you obviously haven't tried to read Master Plan of Fu Manchu! :)

Nuclear Winter : Thanks, and most interesting! Regarding non mentioned parts of the world, as a general rule you can assume that everything happened as in real history if nothing else has been mentioned.

The Austro-Hungarian Revolutions

Chapter IV – The Empire Strikes Back

January 4th, 1936

Heinz Guderian was smiling like a schoolboy who had gotten away with something forbidden. He was standing in the turret of a Sturmpanzerwagen II, one in nearly three hundred that were piled up along a five kilometre section of the Moravian front, just north of Bratislava. He was dressed in an Austrian field uniform complete with a feldgrau greatcoat and thick lambskin gloves to fend of the cold, which made his breath form little puffs. Neither his running red nose or his uncomfortably high and stiff collar, adorned with the single silver star on gold lace of a Major-General (rather than the three gold stars on silver lace of a Colonel) could bring down his mood on this hallmark day. He was going into combat again, for the first time in nearly twenty years, and he was doing it at the head of his very own division; and in more than one sense.

The Panzer-Division “Radetzky” was his own brainchild from start to finish, one that Kaiser Otto I had been kind enough to allow him to put together after listening to his unconventional ideas. He had even given him an Austrian rank of Major-General to go with his divisional command. As a core, the Kaiser had agreed to give him three dragoon regiments, the 3rd, 4th, and 11th. Lacking motorised infantry, Heinz considered Dragoons, or mounted infantry, as the next best thing. He also had two of the Austrian Army’s three Panzer Brigades, which after a refit with German equipment in the last month (they had lost almost all their vehicles during the long retreat) numbered some 300 Sturmpanzerwagen II. Add to this some horse-drawn divisional artillery, and Heinz thought he had a decently mobile force. Had he had proper panzers to work with, like the ones the Russians or the French made instead of these bi-turreted leviathans, cavalry could never have kept up with the Panzers, but at least he was faster than leg infantry. On the down side, the “Division” lacked cohesion, and Heinz knew it. A few weeks of training together had not been anywhere near enough to make it much more than the sum of its parts. He would have to run a very tight ship, allowing a minimum of discretion to subordinate commanders that hadn’t got the proper training to be able to exercise it, but this was his Great Chance. If he could win victories with this mongrel unit, built along lines dismissed by the General Staff, then maybe they would re-examine his theories on force concentration in armoured warfare – the Schwerpunkt Doctrine. Not even single-handedly winning the war could have pushed his more controversial doctrinal ideas, what he lovingly referred to as the Blitzkrieg doctrine, through the dim skulls of the dinosaurs holding the General and Field Marshal ranks of the German Imperial Army, but one thing at the time.

He looked at his wristwatch – 5:59 AM. In about one minute his divisional artillery commander, Colonel Freiherr von Söller, would give the order to fire – that is, if he had bothered to synchronise his watch properly. Just in case he hadn’t, Guderian had decided to order his frontline units to attack once artillery had opened up, rather than order an advance at a given hour. He REALLY didn’t want his men slaughtered by friendly fire, or by an unsuppressed foe. Austrian Schlamperei grated on Heinz’s Prussian nerves more than any other of their national traits, but he had learned to accept it as just another obstacle to plan around. The Austrian officers did, and got things done, somehow. Heinz wasn’t sure if they could do something on time if they really wanted to. For a while, he had had his doubts, like when he called a meeting of his subordinate officers the day he took command and threatened to sack anyone showing up late on that reason alone. They must have realized he was bluffing. Either that or they were simply unable to keep an appointment with more exactitude than give or take five minutes, even if their careers were riding on it.

The Panzer Division was not the only one whose guns would open up at 6:00 AM. As a part of the generalised counteroffensive planned on the basis of his and General Rommel’s advice, all Austrian units north and south of Brno would begin a concerted offensive against the Moravian city at that time. In Croatia, a twin counterattack was in the making as well, at least if the Ustasha troops could be made to obey orders from the Imperial General Staff, which remained to be seen.

It was time. Heinz looked over his shoulder, and after a few seconds, the entire horizon seemed to light up, as hundreds of tubes began to vomit shells over the enemy lines. Schlamperei or not, the Austrian artillery officers were doing their job with split-second precision. Heinz waved his hand forward, and all around him, Sturmpanzer IIs started up their engines, belching thin gray smoke. When the sound of the massive barrage, resembling the low-pitch rumble of rolling thunder reached Heinz’s Panzer, it was already rolling forward. A few hundred metres behind, thousands of horsemen in uniforms that still retained far too much colour prodded their mounts into a trot and then a canter to keep up with the tracks. The attack was on.

***​

‘Gunner, AT-gun, eleven o’clock, 500 meters! Driver, full stop!’

The commanders voice, carried trough the auriculars of the headpiece cut through the deafening engine noise inside the Sturmpanzer. Even before the noise subsided and the track slowly came to a halt, Kurt was frantically turning the traverse wheel and peering through his Zeiss sights. There it was all right, a Soviet made 45mm PstK sloppily camouflaged by snow walls – a nasty little anti-track piece which could send a 1,4 kg projectile flying their way at 760m/sec. Kurt wasn’t about to let it do that. Quickly he adjusted the sight for range and placed the cross hairs over the enemy gun.

‘Loaded HE, target acquired’

‘Fire!’

Kurt pressed the trigger, all the sixteen tons of the Sturmpanzerwagen II trembled slightly as the gun recoiled. An acrid cordite fume invaded the fighting compartment. It took the shell the better part of a second to reach its mark, but it fell short – an orange flash, and a fountain of black dirt and smoke obscured the Red gun.

‘Miss, loading HE!

Kurt was already reaching for a new 6,8 kg HE shell from the shelves surrounding him on all sides. Once he realized he’d be riding into battle encased in high explosives, he had become much less cavalier about the safety provided by a few centimetres of steel. When he enlisted, trackers had seemed an invulnerable lot compared to the poor foot infantry, the proverbial cannon fodder. It was only after having commenced training that he heard the saying going “trackers are buried in groups of 18”. That, of course, applied to the old Sturmpanzer A7U that had been in German service in the years after the Great War and soldiered on in Austria into the early 30s. Nowadays, the saying spoke about groups of six; commander, gunner/loader, driver, front machine-gunner, mechanic/wireless operator and rear machine-gunner, but it was still a sobering thing to remember for cocky young Panzer crews who forgot that their main task in combat was to draw fire from the infantry.

Kurt, fine-limbed and intelligent from a well to-do Viennese family, was not the ideal gunner, since he lacked the brute strength for easily hauling the heavy shells when loading the gun. Since enlisting three months ago, he had grown considerably more muscular, but it had been at the price of pain and more pain. Not surprisingly, he considered it an idiotic design decision to have the gunner also serve as loader of the main weapon. The turret should have had place for a dedicated loader, who would only need strength to qualify for the job. As it was, gunners were a hard lot to find, since the combination of strength and accuracy was rare.

He pushed the heavy white-nosed HE shell into the breech of his gun and slammed it shut. Then the Red AT-gun returned fire. A glancing hit ricocheted off the turret, making the sound of a giant hammer hitting the steel. Everyone in the crew winced, but since they hadn’t died, continued what they were doing.

‘Loaded HE!’ Kurt yelled, correcting his aim slightly. There was no answer. Maybe the shot had disabled the intercom? He went ahead and fired anyway, certain that the Commander would approve of not giving the enemy gun an opportunity to fire again. This time he scored a hit, or near enough not to matter. The PstK gun was thrown sideways by the force of the blast, the crew faring considerable worse.

‘Hit!’ Still no answer from the commander. Kurt turned in his chair to look at Leutenant Maier, and immediately realised why there had been no reply. As it ricocheted of the turret, the enemy AT shell had torn Maier’s head clean off his shoulder. Mesmerized, the young gunner stared at the film of blood drenching the front of the dead commander’s uniform.

‘The Commander is dead!’ shouted Kurt over the intercom.

Szaba, the rear gunner, swore loudly in his native Hungarian, before stating quite calmly; ‘Well, Corporal Waldheim, I believe you’re the ranking soldier in the vehicle. What are your orders?’

Kurt’s mouth hanged open in a most undignified manner. Him, commander of a Panzer?

‘Kurt, the Hauptman is screaming at us to get going again!’ the radio operator reported.

The imperatives of the situation overrode his indecision. ‘All right, I’m taking command of the Panzer. Szaba, get up here and take over the cannon, and bring your headpiece! Jörg… sorry, I mean Radio, answer Hauptman Fromm, inform them about the death of Leutenant Maier. Driver, half speed forward!’

He unplugged his headpiece and climbed to crouch in front of the commander’s chair. Carefully, Kurt removed the limp body of his commanding officer and laid it to rest on the floor of the turret fighting compartment. Climbing into that blood-spattered chair seemed like the worst idea of his short life, but he had little choice – within seconds, his head was sticking out of the turret hatch, the gelid January winds hitting his face like a slap. Outside, the roar of the engine mixed with the constant thunder of artillery and sharp clatter of machineguns to form an almost overwhelming curtain of sound. Yellow tracer rounds were flying with apparent slowness over the white fields of Moravia, and far ahead, a burning Brno was painting the led-grey clouds blood red. Kurt took it all in a stride, and started to look for threats. All around him were the ponderous machines of Panzer Division "Radetzky", motoring fast over the open fields – the front had been shattered and they were now driving into a void. It was terrifying, and yet exhilarating. Kurt Waldheim, Panzer Commander. He liked how that sounded.​

Last edited:
This is excellent. :) Brilliant attention to detail, as ever.

Sehr Gut mein fuhrer!
No..but still, brilliance on an epic scale....a rip roaring epic of war and peace, revolution and oppresion, Life and Death, the Old order and the New Order - the world at war with itslef!
fell free to use that as a promotional tool to promote this AAR... :rofl:

Now showing - The egale and Lion - the movie (part 1)
Staring :
Anthoy Hopkins as Kaiser Wilhelm II
Wilem Dafoe as Bela Kun
Viggo Mortensen as Otto I
Johnny Depp as Nestor Makhno
Ian Holm as Paul Von Hindenburg
Tobey Maguire as Heinz Gudreian (for flash back scene)
Ian Mackellen as Gandalf Greyheim
and featuring Nicole Kidman as the woman they loved

Directed by Peter "Goblins" Jackson.

Last edited:
btw, I wonder what will happen to Herr Waldheim in the future? :D

Vincent Julien said:
btw, I wonder what will happen to Herr Waldheim in the future? :D
Head of the League of Nations? Not bloody likely now! :D