• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does it even work, Mazovia getting rid of Poland? What happens when Polands gone and Mazovia grows? can they flip a switch and turn into Poland again? Can they form the Commonwelath or do anything of the sort? I find this situation hard to imagine.. :p Anyway, a nice update. Will be fun to change the nation again, I hope for a break to something eastern. :D

@Enewald: Since there were no ongoing rebellions, I am tempted to believe it was the latter that happened.

@Makkovar: I don't actually know if Mazovia can form Poland, I will need to check it up. And there will definitely be an eastern option in the next election. Another matter is whether people will vote for it or not.

IX - The Last Years

CDdF1yE.jpg

Since I already have claims around most of Northern Italy, it was time to expand my ambitions and look westward now that I have an army large enough to match those of bigger game.

FbzW6IU.jpg

I Sent another diplomat to increase relations with the new Bohemian Emperor and unlocked second of Defensive Ideas, giving my armies a nice +0.50 morale boost. Also, the last of my loans was repaid, meaning Avignon is now completely free of debt.

6maQrk7.jpg

In December 1478 two minor wars, not really worthy of a mention, were started.

QEZnYQ2.jpg

In the east Polotsk brakes their shackles and divides the once-mighty Lithuania into two. They managed to strike an alliance with Bohemia not soon after.

VPCCxXH.jpg

The situation in the Netherlands looks grim for Austria. Friesland declared war on Austria but it ended in a white peace.

moO3nVl.jpg

In May 1479 I managed to ally with the Emperor. I hope that this, combined with the Anti-French Coalition, will keep Avignon safe from the BBB for the time being. The Hungarian war against Austria continues and the Austrians can thank their luck that their part of the HRE and receive protection from the Emperor.

Then, just a couple of days to signing of the alliance...

caolsmt.jpg

Ah great! I decided to risk it and accept to join their wars, believing that a long-term alliance with Bohemia would be more fruitful than avoiding possible short-term losses.

3E8t85R.jpg

However, it seems like my panic was uncalled for, and I was only invited to take part in a minor war against the Teutonic Order, to which the Hansa joined a bit later on the enemy side.

xnko8T5.jpg

During the last months of 1479, Frankfurt expands beyond their city walls.

i2VX5LH.jpg

And an oddly-formed Epirus receives their independence from the Turks.

qAYcuXM.jpg

Meanwhile, I had kept building ships in anticipation of future Avignonese dominance over the Mediterranean. The shining new fleet was aptly named after yet another saint.

tl1iiEL.jpg

As I had completely forgot it was an actual mission of mine to build a fleet, the completion of the task took me by a slight surprise. In no time a new goal was selected.

GGiCwyb.jpg

Give!

I5bC3Xo.jpg

In July 1480 Denmark forces Bohemia to sign a peace and Portugal declares a new war on Granada that is already struggling against Morocco.

0T6urGz.jpg

And to my minor annoyance, Hanseatic troops suddenly appear in Provence out of nowhere. They didn't stay for long.

2ckrKTa.jpg

The Austrian distress continues as Brabant brakes free in the Netherlands. Meanwhile the two powerhouses of the region, Cologne and Friesland, are both facing a desperate situation under enemy occupation.

O7xELqt.jpg

As the period draws to an end, here's the situation of Granada in December 1480.

46RV7Kg.jpg

And exactly in 30th of December 1480, my claim in Rousllon is finished. Time to seal this chapter and (possibly) say goodbye to Avignon for now.

I will post a short summary and overview later today or tomorrow, after which a new election will commence.​

You have quite a large army, considering most of time in most games Avignon remains an OPM.

As for next election, it would be really interesting to have you hop to Brabant and try to form the United Provinces. Or try reclaim former Rus lands as Polotsk/Pskov.

@Enewald: True, though large part of my army consist of mercenaries which the AI will surely disband once it takes over and it remains to see how large a standing army Avignon will yield after that. Both Polotsk and Brabant are under consideration as candidates. :)

Avignon - Summary and Overview of the World in 1480

sWrsIIi.jpg

So this is the map of Europe at the dawn of 1480. In the east we have a gigantic Ottoman Empire, but they stand checked by equally impressive Muscowy and The Mamluks, both of which are part of a large Anti-Turkish coalition also including Hungary, the Byzantines and several other powers. Hungary has expanded impressively, especially when we take into consideration that most of their expansion happened during the last five years. They are currently in a war against the Bohemian Emperor and Austria, and it is impossible to say yet which side has the upper hand.

Poland has been decimated for good it seems, while Lithunia is only a shadow of their former shelf, though still powerful enough to be able to jump back into the game and reclaim their lost holdings with a bit of luck and fortune on their side. It remains to be seen which of the emerging powers will take their place - Mazovia, Pskov, Polotsk, the Teutonic Order, the Livonian Order or whether the region will be shared between Muscowy, the Turks and the Danes.

Great changes have taken place within the HRE and its surroundings with Austria losing a decisive war against France and Bohemia being elected as the Emperor in their place. It remains to be seen whether the still struggling Austrians are able to pounce back and reclaim their dominant position. They might have been defeated, but they certainly don't stand as completely beaten. Smaller states within the empire are beginning to wither away, with a group of slightly larger blobs growing around Northern Germany.

France currently stands as the most powerful nation in western Europe, with no other state able to match them in either income or armies, and it remains to be seen whether a future coalition might be the only chance to stop the BBB from exploding far outside of France's historical borders.

In Iberia, the Muslims are on the retreat again, with Portugal having devastated Granada in a war and currently undergoing another one. It seems only a possible Moroccan annexation of Granada might put-off the rerereconquista for a little longer.

Italy has been effectively divided into Neapolitan dominated south and Savoyard north, with Avignonese intruders having pushed a powerful wedge between the two. It remains to be seen which of the three might gain dominance over the peninsula, but one thing remains clear - it will be a battle over survival.

koc8jkH.jpg

Here are the largest standing armies in Europe at the end of 1479.

cGVknHD.jpg

The Arabian Peninsula is completely dominated by the Mamluks, who are currently undergoing a war against Hedjaz alongside Oman, the latter of which now finds itself in an uncomfortable situation, being surrounded by their more powerful neighbours and having been cut-off from the cheap African provinces. It is unclear to me whether Najd remains independent.

ePQzgdG.jpg

India could be easily divided into two regions at this point, with Vijayanagar clearly dominating the southern half, while the balance of power remains equal between several medium states in the north. It remains to be seen whether the yellow blob will swallow the whole subcontinent.

oG84HWX.jpg

Amongst the hordes, Nogai has been divided between Uzbek, Kazan and Sibir, the last of which is under heel of the Oirat Horde on their continuous westward push.​

XJODOD4.jpg

Practically nothing has changed further east since the time I took over as Avignon.

As a final conclusion I would like to say that I feel as I've been very successful with Avignon. Although I had to concur large debts for most of my game, the Bishopric no longer owes a penny to anyone, has a relatively high income between 5 and 6 ducats per month, no revolt risk and fully cored possessions, with a competitive standing army and three strong allies on their side, one of whom happens to be the Emperor of the HRE.

I will definitely be leaving them in a much better shape and more suited for survival and even for future dominance than I left Morocco and I have learned several lessons. First of all early, aggressive expansion is the key. Loans and AE matter little easpecially for a small country with lots to gain and little to lose.

I am very confident for Avignon's possible future in the hands of the AI. France remains s an obvious threat but, were they to attack it would make little difference whether it is me or the AI in control. My only fear is that Avignon will become the Emperor's lapdog, being dragged into fruitless and futile wars within and around the HRE, wasting their manpower and accumulating serious war exhaustion, until they are weak enough to be partitioned by their greedy neighbours. But I have my hopes up for the future and it will be interesting to see how the AI will handle the current position.

I will post a list of candidates for the next election early tomorrow morning before my uni starts, so stay tuned and check in to vote some time tomorrow. Remember that you have 24 hours to vote so no need to hurry!

Last edited:
I want a nation that won't get owned after you leave so it actually effects the world afterwards.

So with that in mind I want a big/blobby country and for the goal to be very stable and strong afterwards so you have to end up potentially fighting an AI that you improved.

I want to see Naples, with the goal being an early Italy. It looks like its possible right now, and it would change the rest of the game having such a strong Mediterranean nation.

Very enjoyable AAR - and a cunning way to avoid the "too big, too easy" trap of playing the same country the whole game which I tend to fall into :)

Can I suggest a horde - probably the Oirat Horde - and go on a Ghengis Khan style conquest spree, creating a mighty (and hopefully stable) horde-empire?

Either that, or Delhi... I always feel sorry for Delhi with the Timurid's as a neighbour...

I eagerly await the list of candidates. Eastern Europe looks particularly interesting, so I hope your choice in the area gets some votes.

@Enewald: Registered. :p

@Webstantine: It is indeed Epirus, but unfortunately I don't see them as a viable nation able to survive for too long and didn't include them as a candidate.

@RMcD94: That would be interesting indeed, and although I try to eye the world for potential countries of various sizes, I still feel a bit bad about the thought of taking control over a large, well-to-do nation. But you are right that we need to have some proper action as a larger blob at a point if only to de-blobbify rest of the world.

@Omega124: Naples might very well be a future candidate but wasn't included in today's list as I wanted to include the option to continue as Avignon and try to avoid having too many candidate's from the same region.

@isansom: Thank you, and the 'too big, too easy' is indeed one of the reasons why I decided to go ahead with this AAR. Oirat Horde is up on the list.

@InvisibleSandwi: Eastern Europe, in my opinion, is probably the most interesting region at this point with both Poland and Lithuania ripper into pieces and without a new clearly dominant power having risen up in the area.

Third Elections

List of Candidates:

Avignon
Brabant
Polotsk
The Eastern Roman Empire
Morocco
Oirat Horde
Oman
Hungary​

Continue Avignon

kGPzcqg.jpg

+ In a perfect position to launch a campaign to gain a dominant position in the Mediterranean.
+ Strong and stable with a relatively secure position.
+ Central location and ability to influence events within Europe.

- In a good enough position for the AI to take over.
- It would be interesting to see where the AI is going to take Avignon from here.​

Brabant

eC01PRB.jpg

+ A rare chance to play a nation that has recently gained its independence.
+ Strong enough to stand its ground.
+ Able to form the Netherlands.
+ Central location.
+ Haven't made any enemies yet.

- Neighbouring France.
- Haven't made any friends yet.
- Large peasant rebellion in their lands.​

Polotsk

FHa4noc.jpg

+ A rare chance to play a nation that has recently gained its independence.
+ Weak but in a region that is undergoing a drastic transition.
+ Allied with Bohemia.
+ Central location and room to expand.

- Dirt poor and weak, with barely any army.
- Surrounded by powerful empires.
- A hostile Teutonic army is running rampant inside their borders.​

The Eastern Roman Empire

084m2hv.jpg

+ Relatively secure due to their island holdings and a large coalition against the Ottomans.
+ Able to ally both Hungary and Muscowy.
+ About to pick their next idea group (wink wink).
+ Wealthy.

- Surrounded by the largest state in the region.
- Little room to expand within their neighbourhood.​

Morocco

b024oYR.jpg

+ The rereconquista is in trouble and in dire need for player assistance.
+ Remains relatively strong in its region.
+ Potential to expand.

- Still quite poor.
- Castile, Portugal and Aragon have all grown large and powerful, albeit on each others' expense.​

Oirat Horde

1SzJ5gv.jpg

+ Strongest of the hordes.
+ Uncontested in its region.
+ Lots of room to expand.
+ Potential for great influence in the future.
+ About to pick their first idea group.

- Backwards and isolated.
- We would be cut off from most events in Europe.​

Oman

4eqxiyK.jpg

+ With the shadow of a large Mamluk empire looming over Oman, the nation is in dire need of player assistance.
+ Second most powerful state in their region (heh).
+ Relatively wealthy.

- Little to no room to expand unless going overseas.
- Most of the time would be spent with the single coal of countering the Mamluks.​

Hungary

I9X21wT.jpg

+ Very strong powerful, a regional power able to shape the future of Europe and act as a counter against the Turks.
+ Lots of room to expand, especially with the void left behind by Poland and Lithuania
+ Central location.

- Conquered swathes of land recently that haven't been cored yet.
- Will end up on a crash course with the Bohemian Emperor, weakening both nations and leaving the French completely unchecked.
- Doing well as it is without player assistance.​

All right folks, time to cast your votes! Please remember the rules and you have time to post until 8:00 GMT next morning (9:00 BST).

I say Brabant is the best option, but I am this || far from telling you to keep playing Avignon.

Eastern Roman Empire for me

My preference goes to Brabant too, I think you've got real potential there to leave behind a strong nation that will be able to keep its stand through history.

I'd stay with Avignon, trying to connect the 2 parts. The AI is not up to divided countries, yet.
Alternatively, Morocco to save your conquests (and perhaps vassalize/annex Granada). Would be nice to keep the Iberians in check some more.

Brabant can probably fend for itself, it's a pretty rich pretty large state under Imperial protection.

I'd say Oman, all those Indian States are only begging for you to take over their trade and put to good use all those ducats. It would also put a long term check on european expansionism in the area later on.

Although Brabant seems quite interesting, my choice stays on Oman.

Avignon! I want to see the story of the thimble of an archbishopric to a true Mediterranean power continued and would hate to see it lost to AI incompetence.