• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kazmir

Keeping the ship on course
56 Badges
Aug 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Hello, and welcome to my first EUIV AAR!

The basic concept is rather simple, and I am sure it has been attempted before in one form or another. This is to be a mildly interactive AAR in which I will be switching the country every 20 years to a one voted by you, my dear readers, from a list of 8 countries at the end of each period (though I might reduce the number of candidates along the game). I got the idea from this post, so props to Al. I. Cuza for it!

For each period of 20 years I will be trying to play by the best interests of the chosen nation, with not only the end of the 20-year-period in mind, but trying to strengthen them beyond this point as if I was playing them until the end of the game, which is bound to create some interesting dynamics when hopping from one side of the fence to another - a bit like playing chess with yourself, I'd guess. I will also allow myself to play each country in a way that will have an unexpected influences on the world at large and on the current balance of powers.

The first country will be played for only 16 years though, to even out the following decades, but I will most likely include it on the list of next candidates with a chance to extend the time by another 20 years.

At the end of each periods you will be granted 24 hours to vote from the moment a list of candidates is published - one vote per poster. The country that has received the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, if one of the winning options was to extend the period of my current country by another 20 years, then this option will be declared a winner. In all other cases a I will flip a coin.

Game Rules:

• No cheating or gamey tactics such as coring through vassals or milking the natives. Taking gold from natives (Americans, Africans etc.) will be limited to 500 ducats.
  • No saving and reloading due to bad decisions - at worst I'll simply switch to the winning side. :p
  • No 'gamey' easy expansion through enforcing PUs, and no enforcing PUs on countries larger than 10 provinces, unless good reasons arise.

Options:
  • No ironman - obviously.
  • Normal difficulty.
  • No bonuses.
  • No lucky nations (quite pointless when the player keeps switching countries).

Rules and information on voting:
  • You are limited to one post per election which must include both your vote and your possible arguments.
  • You will have 24 hours to cast your vote.
  • Each 20-year-period will begin on 1st of January and end on 31st of December.
  • If the player country gets annexed or becomes otherwise unplayable early elections will be held and the remaining time from this country's period will be added for the following winner.
  • In the event of a die a random number generator will decide the winner, unless one of the winning options was to continue with previous winner for another 20 years, which will always have a priority.
  • All times will be announced in GMT.

Permission for this interactive AAR was received from Qorten.

Last edited:
Last edited:
All right here we go. First, I will need you to help me decide which country to launch this endeavour on. What will follow is a list of 8 countries that I have chosen, with respective pros and cons for each. After this post you will have 24 hours to vote, the polls will close at 22:00 GMT (23:00 BST) tomorrow evening! I would also like to note that there's a good chance that I will be spending the night out tomorrow, so don't panic if I will not be there when the polls close. In any case, all votes cast after 22:00 GMT (23:00 BST) will be disqualified.

You are allowed to cast one vote and to argue for your case/candidate/the general situation of things, but you are limited to one post per election which must include both your vote and your arguments (if you wish to express any). This is simply to keep the thread from getting spammed and flooded with posts, and please act civil. :)

First Elections

List of Candidates:

Leinster
Frankfurt
Morocco
Byzantine Empire
Gelre
Ayutthaya
Livonian Order
Uzbek

Leinster

dO38HZU.jpg

+ A unified Ireland would add a nice twist to Europe.
+ Might also be able to take part in the colonial game.

- Low income and manpower, on the whole island.
- Quite tied up to the goal of forming Ireland.

Frankfurt

nw4rrhm.jpg

+ Creating a new powerhouse within the HRE is always bound to generate some interesting results.
+ Sits on a rich trade node.
+ Central location.
+ I like their flag.

- OPM surrounded by powerful neighbours.
- Landlocked.

Morocco

cflgo0w.jpg

+ A possible counter for Portugal and Spain.
+ Potential to attempt and reverse the reconquista.

- Powerful enemies, most of the time would be spent building up and waiting for the right moment to strike.

Byzantine Empire

dZAxqVz.jpg

+ If I manage to survive and push the Ottomans back, a Byzantine Empire rivalling the west would add immense flavour to the world.

- Never played them and we will likely end up having early elections.

Gelre

xBgtr8W.jpg

+ Good position with room to expand.
+ Possibility to form the Netherlands.
+ Central location.

- OPM, with powerful neighbours.

Ayutthaya

Oexm5Gz.jpg

+ The rich South-East Asia is up for grabs.
+ Potential counter for China and India.

- We will be cut off from events in Europe
- Neighbouring a behemoth.
- Very limited in its scope to influence the world at large.
- That name...

Livonian Order

9yUJsXC.jpg

+ Potentiality to grow into a big and powerful player.
+ Interesting location.
+ Western tech group.

- Rather isolated.
- Surrounded by powerful neighbours, with little room to expand.

Uzbek

dO6SNnP.jpg

+ Time to unite the hordes once more and to march west!
+ Interesting location.

- Backwards and isolated in many ways.

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest Morocco. All of your choices are designed to be dangerous, but Morocco can escape to the New World or Sub-Saharan Africa more easily than, let's say Leinster.

The Uzbeks.

Livonian Order! Why play a bunch of corrupt aristocrats when you can play as an order of honorable knights? It's time to conquer in the name of God! Also, despite their horrible starting position they keep blobbing like hell in my playthroughs and I wanna see how the hell that is possible.

Results of the first election:

6 Morocco
3 Uzbek
2 Frankfurt
2 Byzantine Empire
1 Gelre
1 Livonian Order​

Morocco it is then. :) I will get to playing and will post the first update either later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the votes!

The Beginnings: Morocco

I - An Overview

oTdMR3t.jpg

Let's take a quick peek at our current situation and the battle plans I have been brewing to make the best of these first 16 years and to establish a strong enough footing for Morocco so they might stand a chance even when I switch over to another corner of the planet.

First of all, we have the North African states, from which only Algiers poses a real threat of any kind. Both Tunisia and Tripoli are small, weak and poor and while Algiers is no real match to Morocco in terms of income and manpower, they remain strong enough to do a good deal of damage would they happen to strike in unfortunate times. The solution to this is rather simple - an annexation or vassalisation as soon as possible, or at least to weaken them enough to bring them down to same level with Tunisia and Tripoli.

But before I will get on with that I must concentrate on my number one threat - the Christians of Iberia. No doubt I could win over Portugal, retake Ceuta, let Granada fall and concentrate on dominating Africa, but it is bound to happen that sooner or later Castile and Portugal would descend on me and at that point they might be way too rich and powerful for me - or an AI Morocco, to handle at all. Not to mention the unfortunate technological gap looming in the horizon.

I foresee that the only way to secure Morocco's future is to strike early and be done with the Iberian powers. The greatest advantage I currently possess is the amazingly good Charge cavalry available to Muslim tech group - an advantage that is bound to melt away quite soon.

Luckily I will not be alone in this struggle, and although Granada might not be the strongest of allies, they offer a nice footing on the peninsula where I can store my troops in preparation for the D-day - or rather, to wait for the inevitable DOW from Castile. Thus an alliance was quickly signed.

t4mAaPy.jpg

But let us take a look at the strength of my enemies. It goes without saying that all three Iberian kingdoms are richer than me, and have much larger armies and navies, but how big is the gap?

XdEJ5yQ.jpg

That is quite a gap indeed! I couldn't even make it to the same page with my "mere" 9000 men. Even small Portugal possesses an army strong enough to take me on at this point, not to mention that Castile can yield more than double the men compared to me, and their reserve manpower looks quite dangerously high as well.

Instead of bringing up my army to match theirs, I was toying with the idea of building a grand fleet, ruling the waves and forcing the Iberians on their knees through blockades, but a quick look at the naval ledger reveals that this would have been a very costly venture, and much harder to achieve than going head on against them on land.

FraKSxo.jpg

It would take me too long to match their naval strength in time before Castile would descend on Granada, besides I would still need to build up my army to be strong enough to hold its ground. No, the best course of action is to abandon the seas for now and to concentrate dominating on land instead and relying on my superior cavalry while I still can.

But before we get on with that lets take a quick look at my government and choose ourselves a mission.

MOTNesZ.jpg

Despotic monarchy isn't one of my favourite forms of governments, but that -1% to revolt risk will come in handy while turning the tide of the reconquista. The Sultan himself is a useless bag of rubbish, but there's not much I can do about that. I hope the future heir will be better.

Since I belong to the Muslim tech group - perhaps one of the worst in the game, considering that you are too backward to stay in tune with Europeans but not backwards enough for westernisation to be a viable option, I decided to hire a military advisor as those points will be immensely valuable for me in the future. Not to mention that a 5% boost to discipline never hurt anybody - on our side at least. ;)

HjWXVfh.jpg

As for my mission I decided to go with 'Improve Our Prestige!' Although a free claim on Algiers is tempting, I can finish this one off earlier than the other two and with a war in horizon there will be prestige aplenty, if things won't go to ruin that is. Besides, +1 to stability is a rather neat reward isn't it?

That's the starting situation for little Morocco. I will post the first proper gameplay update later today as well. Stay tuned!

Last edited: